Improved Battery Life (OLED screen)

Guest davnig

Interesting article about extending battery life by using dark themes and search engines like blackle.com, backed up by statistics and stuff lol

Darkness

Edited by davnig

Guest Len Ash
Nice find, especially with Tasker intergration.

OLED active (lit) pixels require power. Therefore the "lighter" or "brighter" the image, the more power consumed. White requires the most, because you are using 3 OLED pixels (Red/Green/Blue) at once. This is also the reason why the OLED displays whites with varying hues dependant on the brightness, the RGB mix shifts slightly by different amounts as the pixels are dimmed. OLEDs tend to show whites with a pinkish hue as the brightness decreases due to the slight dominance of the red OLED pixel element. TFTs tend to have a slightly bluish tint, which is generally consistent irrespective of the screen brightness. This is probably due to the fact that white LEDs are made from blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor to convert the blue light to white. The blue is still somewhat dominant, particularly with the cheaper "cool white" LEDs used for backlights (they are also more efficient than "neutral" white or "warm" white LEDs).

TFT hasn't the same issue in terms of image shade, but the brighter ANY image, dark or light, the more power consumed by the LED backlights. If that makes sense..

I always use a dark wallpaper and auto brightness on my OLED - just auto brightness on the TFT. Some folk just set the brightness to a set level....

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Len Ash
That's an intersesting thing! I have a quite dark theme on my phone, good to know that this improves my battery life ;)

Changed "screensaver" to "wallpaper" above. It's been a long day!