GPS can't connect without sim card

ello guys, I just want ask about GPS. why my gps isn't working without sim card?

and if my phone running out from gsm signal because I'm on small town or on mountain my gps isn't working either???

can anyone help me?

Guest WebReaper21

Hi,

GPS only works when the phone part is turned on, therefore you need a SIM card to use it.

If you got only a GSM connection it might just take a while before you get a lock, because it might not be able to get a data connection for the XTRA service. It takes me between 1 and 5 Minutes to get a lock without XTRA, depending on the conditions.

Guest bobhero
Hi,

GPS only works when the phone part is turned on, therefore you need a SIM card to use it.

If you got only a GSM connection it might just take a while before you get a lock, because it might not be able to get a data connection for the XTRA service. It takes me between 1 and 5 Minutes to get a lock without XTRA, depending on the conditions.

Yes, Samsung did a very poor job with GPS here... even my HTC phone from 2007 could use GPS without phone turned on.

I was told that if you start GPS in area with phone signal, and keep it running, it will keep working in areas of no phone signal except if you restart it.

Yes, Samsung did a very poor job with GPS here... even my HTC phone from 2007 could use GPS without phone turned on.

I was told that if you start GPS in area with phone signal, and keep it running, it will keep working in areas of no phone signal except if you restart it.

ok guyss... thank you very much for your help.. maybe for next phone I won't choose samsung again ;) because gps is most important feature for me in cellphone..

Guest _Micha_
ello guys, I just want ask about GPS. why my gps isn't working without sim card?

and if my phone running out from gsm signal because I'm on small town or on mountain my gps isn't working either???

can anyone help me?

No, there is no help (until now). ;)

Look here.

hello everyone, who have problem with GPS that can't connect wihtout sim card, maybe this can help.. because it work for me

1. change ROM to JJ1 --> Eboot, Phone, CSC, PDA (for PDA I using RAPID semi lite JJ1)

2. go to norgader GPS *#1472365#, settings/GPS/operation set to standalone.

3. install beelineGPS v2 -> search on google

4. download XTRA data

5. go to setting/ gps = GPS progam port set to COM 4, GPS hardware port set to COM 9, baud rate set to 115200, manage GPS automatically gps = must be on

6. soft reset.

7. open beelineGPS and wait until you can connect to the satellite, and then wait for 2-4 minute with beelineGPS still open (make it hot start effect on next GPS connection)

8. turn off your phone, remove sim card, turn it on again, and open beelineGPS and see will your phone can connect gps or not, for this step may take a little bit long time so be patient.. (remember your phone must be on phone mode , not flight mode, just remove your sim card and turn it on again)

If your phone can connect GPS without sim card, I'll share my registry tweak, because I've tried many custom registry for GPS but always fail, right now I modify darius and master twu2 gps patch tweak, and works far far better now..

and one more. I really really big thanx to skoda60, DariusP for helping me so far

please give back your report..

Edited by akwin

• 3 months later...
Guest Mach2003

I have a spare OmniaII used for testing apps and flashing.

I have NO SIM card in the phone, and have NEVER interted a sim card since it was last flashed.

GPS works! GPS locked after about 30 minutes (on fresh soft reset),

Later I did use the nogarter app to enable xtra, and to disable auto-download, now it is back to the normal 30 seconds lock.

I used my PC to download the xtra file from the address found on the nogater settings page (that page does not look the same on my phone that has a SIM installed).

http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net

just save the file as "xtra.bin" and copy it to device root.

So two important things here: The (bell) SIM actually disables GPS when there is no cell signal, and we can download xtra any way we like to/on the device (the address could be read from an app or morscript on the device).