defy or milestone?

Guest lilzad

hi guys i am in a bit of a dilemma here. i had my mind set for the motorola defy before i read about the milestone and now i read more and more about both phones i want them both. i am asking which phone is better, keeping in mind i am 19 so i will use the phone for web browsing, taking photos/recording, playing games, checking email things like that i want something which i can keep for a while and not get rid of in 4 months time. thanks to every 1 who post below

Guest SpruceyB
hi guys i am in a bit of a dilemma here. i had my mind set for the motorola defy before i read about the milestone and now i read more and more about both phones i want them both. i am asking which phone is better, keeping in mind i am 19 so i will use the phone for web browsing, taking photos/recording, playing games, checking email things like that i want something which i can keep for a while and not get rid of in 4 months time. thanks to every 1 who post below

I love the Milestone, I'm a huge fan of physical keyboards but I'd say the...

Defy.

The Defy is faster than the Milestone. The fact it's rugged is a bonus too.

The only + I can see for you getting a Milestone is the fact you say you'd be taking photos, as the Milestone has a dedicated button for this here it gets some plus points.

Both come with 2.1 but both have leaked versions of 2.2 available.

• 2 weeks later...
I love the Milestone, I'm a huge fan of physical keyboards but I'd say the...

Defy.

The Defy is faster than the Milestone. The fact it's rugged is a bonus too.

The only + I can see for you getting a Milestone is the fact you say you'd be taking photos, as the Milestone has a dedicated button for this here it gets some plus points.

Both come with 2.1 but both have leaked versions of 2.2 available.

Milestone if you MUST have a keyboard but since I made the jump to the Defy (from a Milestone 1) I get on fine with the built in Swype and now Swiftkey (the latter's prediction is uncanny).

Only down side in your feature list apart from keyboard is that the Defy won't do 720p video recording. If you want to run cooked ROMS don't upgrade to the latest 2.5.1 from Moto as it patches out the exploit and you won;t be able to go back. But in all honesty I've not seen the need yet for 2.2 and am happy to wait to do it officially when (or if) it comes. Otherwise I agree with the above (as a old smartphone hand and Android user). The Defy is the best Android phone for day to day use - plenty fast enough, comes with well thought out software bundle (e.g. excellent music player and DLNA client & server to share media an from your home network, data and battery saving utilities built in) and a solid dependable software build. The loudspeaker's really good and loud too (for music, conference calls and in car GPS etc) - way better than the tinny offerings on other brands.

The fact Motorola have managed put all this into such a small package, including the water protection and other toughening, AND managed to squeeze in a decent sized screen and a class-leading 1530mAh battery IMO puts all the other manufacturers to shame. So ignore all those who are obsessed by sky-high clock speeds and the latest OS version numbers. At least your phone will still have some juice left after tea-time and you won't be afraid of using it in the rain!

Edited by Metoo

Guest nvkid909

^ spot on

I tried to find milestone 2 on the high street, ended up with defy.

I'm not bothered about lack of keyboard tbh - as I really dig [getting used to!] the swype texting. To me at least, swype is fantastic.