09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

I played around with partitioning my SD-card. The kernel should support different filesystems like EXT2/3/4. I personally use EXT4 mostley, so i created an EXT4 partition on my SD Card (also use one on my G1/Dreams with Gingerbread and FR's App2SD, that works).

Sadly to say that CWM does not recognize the EXT4 partition and Link2App also cannot mount it. Tried rebooting a couple of times, but that does not work. Reformatted the partition to EXT2 and then it works.

Seems to me that Link2SD only supports EXT2 even if the kernel supports EXT2/3/4.

Unless pauls kernel does not support EXT3 and EXT4, but it should..

Guest HunteronX
I played around with partitioning my SD-card. The kernel should support different filesystems like EXT2/3/4. I personally use EXT4 mostley, so i created an EXT4 partition on my SD Card (also use one on my G1/Dreams with Gingerbread and FR's App2SD, that works).

Sadly to say that CWM does not recognize the EXT4 partition and Link2App also cannot mount it. Tried rebooting a couple of times, but that does not work. Reformatted the partition to EXT2 and then it works.

Seems to me that Link2SD only supports EXT2 even if the kernel supports EXT2/3/4.

Unless pauls kernel does not support EXT3 and EXT4, but it should..

Ext2 is required.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=17

Edited by HunteronX

Guest HunteronX
Think I answered my own question by playing about with the 4gb card before I risked destroying my 16gb card. It clearly does wipe the data but does create ext2 (although MiniTool Partition Wizrd sees it as an ext3) partition of the size selected and I can see that selecting a Swap size of more than 0 creates a 'Linux Swap' partition (for whatever that may be needed for?). Therefore I have backed up my 16gb card, am using CWM to make a 1mb ext2/3 partition with zero Swap and then will have to load back my existing data. No big deal I suppose

I did try using MiniTool Partiton Wizard to try and resize the FAT32 partition and create an ext2 partition on the 4gb card but the Vega reports it as a damaged card.

I got the same 'Damaged SD card' error too, so I used clockworkmod instead.

Guest markinton

Since installing R7 (not had a chance to move yo R8 yet) I've found that after staying on for a prelonged period (say 48hrs) the Vega becomes very unresponsive, to both touch and orientation switches, and suffers from a lot of graphical glitches.

A reboot restores it to its usual snappy self. Has anyone else seen this behavior? If not, I guess it's one of my apps sucking up memory.

Ta

M

Guest kevin36thi
There is no special way of upgrading from r7 to r8. Just install r8 over r7. It is the same way as you installed r7.

So install either with CWM or use the installscript

What's the best application to use to back up settings such as ADW settings and applications?

Thanks

Guest Lennyuk

Froyo A2SD Doesn't just move the apk over, it moves certain data over but leaves an awful lot of data on internal memory.

the other method moves the entire apk over and just leaves a flag in /data/app therefore you end up with far more free space in internal memory than using the froyo method.

but don't be fooled into thinking that you will have a completely empty internal memory, there are still lots of thing saved on internal memory, you will just find yourself with more free space than before.

Not to mention the other problems froyo a2sd has, e.g. any app with a widget you can't move across or the widget won't work or other certain apps stop working when moved.

Edited by Lennyuk

Froyo A2SD Doesn't just move the apk over, it moves certain data over but leaves an awful lot of data on internal memory.

the other method moves the entire apk over and just leaves a flag in /data/app therefore you end up with far more free space in internal memory than using the froyo method.

but don't be fooled into thinking that you will have a completely empty internal memory, there are still lots of thing saved on internal memory, you will just find yourself with more free space than before.

Not to mention the other problems froyo a2sd has, e.g. any app with a widget you can't move across or the widget won't work or other certain apps stop working when moved.

And i would like to add that the using this app it is faster then using the Froyo A2SD. Just take a look at your shortcuts on one of the desktops when you just did a reboot. It takes time for the icons to load. While using the link method it takes much less time for the icons to load.

I do not know what the froyo A2SD method exactly is, but i noticed when i typed mount in a terminal that there where a couple of mounts to apps i installed on SD (like angry birds). It takes time to do those mounts to complete.

The link method is pretty simple the link to the apk is pretty fast (on filesystem level) and the EXT paritions needs only to be mounted once.

The system of looking if an app is on SD or not is also pretty simple. Just look in the filesystem if it is a link or not, If it is a link, it is on SD, if not it is on internal memory./

Guest Supercharged
What's the best application to use to back up settings such as ADW settings and applications?

Thanks

You don't need to back up anything. All of your settings, applications and your lay-out will be right where you left them in R7.

Guest Richard de Goede

After installing R8 some h264 mp4 files wont play in hardware mode in rockplayer anymore... did you accidentely erase some codecs or something?

Anyone know another explanation?

Anyone had problems with flash after r8, I can't get it to work, Have tried reinstalling but no good, and its def turned on in browser settings!

Edited by Burns

Hi Guys,

Looks like I've bricked my device! After installing R8 (Previously had R6) my vega is stuck in a bootloop, won't get past black screen with 'booting' text. This is the second time I flashed it, first time it seemed to work fine except there was no settings app installed. When tapping the settings logo on the home screen it said 'application not installed on your phone' or something along those lines. So I went through the steps again and this happened... I'm lost and have absolutely no idea what to do next! My PC detects my Vega when booting however as it never stays on the booting screen for more than a few seconds it doesn't seem like I can do much.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Edit: Managed to set my Vega into recovery and reflash (thanks to google and members of this forum!) From a clean install I stuck R8 on it. During the install the command prompt suddenly read 'Cannot push (can't remember file name) not enough memory on device' or something along those lines. This time it got stuck on the boot screen didn't reboot at all, so again I have reflashed. Going to attempt one last time to put R8 on. Never had any of these issues with R6.

Edit: Same issue as last, except this time I got a screenshot!

post-831221-1297395642_thumb.jpg

Edited by AJace

Guest swarrans
Hi Guys,

Looks like I've bricked my device! After installing R8 (Previously had R6) my vega is stuck in a bootloop, won't get past black screen with 'booting' text. This is the second time I flashed it, first time it seemed to work fine except there was no settings app installed. When tapping the settings logo on the home screen it said 'application not installed on your phone' or something along those lines. So I went through the steps again and this happened... I'm lost and have absolutely no idea what to do next! My PC detects my Vega when booting however as it never stays on the booting screen for more than a few seconds it doesn't seem like I can do much.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Alex

The consensus is that it is not possible to brick the vega so don't wworry!

In your position I would be tempted to do a fresh install of the advent sw via recovery and then do the R8 update in the normal way

Guest premieral
Anyone had problems with flash after r8, I can't get it to work, Have tried reinstalling but no good, and its def turned on in browser settings!

I had the same problem even reinstalled it , would only work after re booting again, now works like a charm

The consensus is that it is not possible to brick the vega so don't wworry!

In your position I would be tempted to do a fresh install of the advent sw via recovery and then do the R8 update in the normal way

Thanks for the reply, managed to reflash to stock 1.8 panick over! :P Still having the same issue when trying to install R8 though! Reading not enough memory, however the device says I have over 300mb of internal storage left. I've even tried various different bakes to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

Guest Hsuth88

Hi,

Can you help me! :P I am a computer dummy. Just bought this Vega and im really frustrated with it. Cant get any apps at all to work on it except whats already loaded on and even they get stuck and force close! I would like to modify it but unfortunately your instructions don't make any sence to me! Like I said computer dummy. Do you have a simple step by step guide? And Yes i know your thinking stupid useless woman :D

Thanks

Helen

Just a heads up that I am effectively offline for 2 weeks from tomorrow (celebrating 10 years with my good lady then off for daughter's half term!), so updates will following when I return. :P

Thanks for your ongoing support everyone!

P

Guest rvdgeer
Just a heads up that I am effectively offline for 2 weeks from tomorrow (celebrating 10 years with my good lady then off for daughter's half term!), so updates will following when I return. :P

P

Congratulation on the 10 years together...

(At least, I assume you consider this something good;) )

Have a great time in... ehr.. France?

:D

Will be a while before I'll update my tablet then, as were expecting our second within the next few days/weeks...

But that's no problem!

Guest zedmeister

P

Have fun and thanks for everything - I don't know how you find the time for all these updates! BTW, did you get a chance to put the left handed idea into R8?

I seem to have some WiFi problems after going from r7 to r8. The tablet connects to the WiFi acces point properly, and works for some time, but sunndenly is unable to browse the internet/refresh twitter,etc. The tablet still has connection with the acces point. This seems to be a software problem, as other wifi devices (iPod) are still working fine.

Could someone offer me a solution? Many thanks in advance!!

Guest Ramnath

Please look at "To install this ROM (without using ClockworkMod recovery):" in the 1st post. It really has everything.

If you are stuck, or have some specific questions, then we can all help you. :-)

Hi,

Can you help me! :P I am a computer dummy. Just bought this Vega and im really frustrated with it. Cant get any apps at all to work on it except whats already loaded on and even they get stuck and force close! I would like to modify it but unfortunately your instructions don't make any sence to me! Like I said computer dummy. Do you have a simple step by step guide? And Yes i know your thinking stupid useless woman :D

Thanks

Helen