Is there any good way of keeping all your settings,sms,apps etc after switching ROMs?

Guest Poodha

I just rooted and upgraded to froyo for the first time on my blade, and it was a vast improvement in speed. But then realized it would be a pain in the arse to get back all the apps, settings, homescreens etc. Is there any easy way of getting those from my old ROM? Especially the SMS would be nice to get back. And is there any way of getting the apps as they where? Like high scores in angry birds, or if I had an older version of an app I don't want the newer version on market? I did a full backup in clockwork and a titanium backup before swapping, if that helps.

TIA

I just rooted and upgraded to froyo for the first time on my blade, and it was a vast improvement in speed. But then realized it would be a pain in the arse to get back all the apps, settings, homescreens etc. Is there any easy way of getting those from my old ROM? Especially the SMS would be nice to get back. And is there any way of getting the apps as they where? Like high scores in angry birds, or if I had an older version of an app I don't want the newer version on market? I did a full backup in clockwork and a titanium backup before swapping, if that helps.

TIA

The backups from titanium backup should be enough.

you install titanium backup on your new rom and restore all your apps and for the ones you have already installed on the rom you just need to do data restore

Edited by mannas

How about game saves etc. The last time I restored with Titanium after flash and wipe all the apps and games came back but game progression and saves did not.

I haven't been able to restore SMS using Titanium Backup, so I use SMS Backup +, to backup (and restore) SMS messages to Gmail. It can be set to backup on a schedule.

Also be careful restoring system based settings when changing Android/ROM versions - settings from 2.1 restored onto 2.2 can make things go bad!

Doesn't help if you didn't have this before the update/wipe though.

You could:

Do another clockwork backup

Restore the original one

Install SMS Backup +

Backup SMS messages

Restore your new clockwork backup

Install SMS Backup + again (and set scheduled backups)

Restore SMS messages

Sounds long winded but wouldn't take long

Edit: @HID45 Game save data should be restored fine, as long as you choose to restore Apps+Data (although some games 'may' prevent this)

Edited by wadgel

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4

TIA

MyPhoneExplorer does a good job in backing up and restoring SMSs, contacts, call lists etc.

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

Thanks for a slew of good advices!

I restored back to my original ROM now, but realized that I don't really need to restore my app data, but good to know that titanium is able next time.

Thanks for the advice about the sms as well, but isn't there any way to restore the MMS also? Not that it's important, but curious if it works.

And yes, I use Myphoneexplorer as well(excellent program for syncing, especially if you're slightly paranoid about putting all your info in googles cloud), but don't think they have figured out how to store mms yet(don't think it worked on older SE-devices as well). So:

1. Is there any way of restoring MMS?

2. Will my contacts be restored with pictures and all if I export them to the SD-card and then import them after switching ROM(as mentioned, don't want to do it with google contacts if it's possible).

3. Doesn't Market keep track of what apps you've installed and uninstalled? I'm back to the original ROM now, but pretty certain I couildn't see what apps I used to have when I logged into market with the new ROM(but same google account). Last time I used market, I while back, I could check what apps I've uninstalled in market, but I can't find those in market now either. Just the apps I've already have installed. Did they remove that feature in the latest updates?

@Wadgel

Just restored my original ROM, so you're saying I could do your trick now(double negatives always confuses me :-))? Thanks for the warning about mucking about with system based settings, didn't occur to me at all that restoring sms could be harmful.

Guest Simon O

This depends on individual rom developers but at least with FLB-Froyo it doesn't wipe the data partition so any applications you currently have installed along with any settings.

That sounds great, going to try your ROM as well later(when I've gotten more routine into swapping ROMs and restoring stuff). But do you only retain the app datra or do you also keep your MMS, SMS and contacts etc with your ROM? That's my biggest obstacle at the moment.

my backup pro make a good job

Just downloaded the free version, and will find out if it works on that.

Titanium backups everything - sms data is not an app you need to restore "all system data".

I'm pretty certain I read somewhere that it doesn't? But is maybe only the pro version that allows sms restore? And does it also restore mms? Seems like I have to fix that I can pay for apps on market as well...

Titanium backups everything - sms data is not an app you need to restore "all system data".

But restoring "all system data" isn't a good idea if changing ROM versions that require a data wipe.

Guest shastar

Backup Everything in the market (Free) is a good app to backup stuff.

MMS

SMS