[maybe solved] Touchscreen does not react after flashing an new ROM

Guest Seb801

Guest Revik
April 10th now, many more boots, still no problems with the touchscreen. It might be due to Gen 2 firmware, it might be due to Swedish Spring RLS4b, maybe it is the blue sky and the bright sun, and possibly it is pure random good fortune and it will fail next boot. I wish I could say definitively but it does appear to be fixed.

I still wouldn't recommend upgrading until there are more ROMs and more reliability reports but it is looking good.

Hm.. so the cure might be in GEN2..

Other thing i've missed - you flashed SS RLS3 first, and after upgraded to RLS4 without wipe.. I've trying RSL4 only.. Is there RSL3 still available somewhere for download?

Update: RLS3 did not solve the problem :)

Update2: Ok, once it booted with working screen. Flashed to RLS4 (no wipe), not working again

Edited by Revik

Guest Revik
You need to restore *your* NAND backup from Clockwork - not flash the Orange TPT.. that should get it working again (or at a push the nand backup from earlier in this thread from a phone with this issue).. the TPT is probably from a phone that doesn't have this issue and there must be the same problem in it..

I'm almost sure its a software thing.. but no one who could diagnose it has actually had the problem yet!

I've deleted my original ROM backup by stupid accident :)

Anyway i had to use TPT because i was not even able to use fastboot.

Guest evgenyo
Can you give me you original ROM? I've lost my original by stupid :)

Sorry, have not got ROM itself - I did a full backup prior to new ROM flashing.

You need to restore *your* NAND backup from Clockwork - not flash the Orange TPT.. that should get it working again (or at a push the nand backup from earlier in this thread from a phone with this issue).. the TPT is probably from a phone that doesn't have this issue and there must be the same problem in it..

I'm almost sure its a software thing.. but no one who could diagnose it has actually had the problem yet!

I just got a new B20 san francisco & the touch screen is fine (so far).

Guest Revik
I just got a new B20 san francisco & the touch screen is fine (so far).

Did you flash it with non stock ROM?

Edited by Revik

Guest Revik

I've restored from nandroid backup from here

Touchscreen is working ok, but Orange 2.1..

So i'm almost sure it is not hardware problem

Edited by Revik

Guest leromarinvit

I did some research yesterday and found out that immediately after resume, there is always exactly one interrupt from the touchscreen controller, but no more after that. It seems like either interrupts are disabled afterwards, or the sensor input itself is disabled. The fact that it doesn't happen for everyone and for others it works only sometimes suggests that it's not an incompatible new controller, but something else. Maybe a missing delay somewhere, to which a new revision of the controller is more sensitive? Maybe some pin is left floating instead of being pulled high or low?

I think we should nudge ZTE a bit to release their new kernel source. Otherwise, I don't really see any way out of this other than the rather invasive and time-intensive "have an old and a new Blade, open them, attach a scope to the controller pins and compare". And unless somebody can find a chip-specific datasheet from Synaptics (as opposed to the RMI interface spec), that's not going to be easy either.

Guest Revik

There is app in stock ROM called "TouchScreen Updating" - does anybody know what is it for? and if it is in every stock ROM?

package:/system/app/TouchScreen.apk=com.android.zte

Edited by Revik

Guest 3lackhawk
There is app in stock ROM called "TouchScreen Updating" - does anybody know what is it for? and if it is in every stock ROM?

package:/system/app/TouchScreen.apk=com.android.zte

I have too in my stock 2.1 rom.This apk maybe connected to this service code *983*29873283# AXUPDATE Touchscreen Updater

I tried it and it said: The TouchScreen needn't upgraded

Guest 3lackhawk

I made some debug (logcat) and found this difference while boot:

My blade with 2.2 custom rom, without working touchscreen:

I/KeyInputQueue( 232): Device added: id=0x10002, name=synaptics-rmi-touchscreen, classes=14

I/KeyInputQueue( 232): X: unknown values

I/KeyInputQueue( 232): Y: unknown values

Same log with My blade factory 2.1 rom or my colleague's Blade 2.2 with working touch:

I/KeyInputQueue( 1185): Device added: id=0x10002, name=synaptics-rmi-touchscreen, classes=14

I/KeyInputQueue( 1185): X: min=0 max=1867 flat=0 fuzz=0

I/KeyInputQueue( 1185): Y: min=0 max=3096 flat=0 fuzz=0

Guest Revik
I made some debug (logcat) and found this difference while boot:

My blade with 2.2 custom rom, without working touchscreen:

I/KeyInputQueue( 232): Device added: id=0x10002, name=synaptics-rmi-touchscreen, classes=14

I/KeyInputQueue( 232): X: unknown values

I/KeyInputQueue( 232): Y: unknown values

Same log with My blade factory 2.1 rom or my colleague's Blade 2.2 with working touch:

I/KeyInputQueue( 1185): Device added: id=0x10002, name=synaptics-rmi-touchscreen, classes=14

I/KeyInputQueue( 1185): X: min=0 max=1867 flat=0 fuzz=0

I/KeyInputQueue( 1185): Y: min=0 max=3096 flat=0 fuzz=0

I have 2 stock Orange ROMS - one with working touch, second with not.

I've flashed non working ROM with boot.img from working one. Touch is working.

I did not found any noticeable changes between init scripts

diff bad/boot/boot.img-ramdisk/init.rc good/boot/boot.img-ramdisk/init.rc 
17a18
> #2010-12-30 huoliping add for partner app uninstall requirement ZTE_HLP_CRDB00591286
395a397,401
> #ZTE_HLP_CRDB00591286
> service copypartnerapp /system/bin/copypartnerapp
> oneshot
> #end ZTE_HLP_CRDB00591286
>
[/codebox]

other difference i've found is the kernel config

[codebox]diff bad/config good/config
4c4
< # Fri Dec 24 03:01:51 2010
---
> # Fri Jan 21 19:54:32 2011
1112c1112,1115
< # CONFIG_MT9P111 is not set
---
> CONFIG_MT9P111=y
> # CONFIG_MT9P111_MCNEX is not set
> CONFIG_MT9P111_SAMSUNG_FPC=y
> # CONFIG_MT9P111_SAMSUNG_SOCKET is not set

Guest RamanRB

I also have issues with recently purchased OSF. It was B10 (update1), I've unlocked it, then flashed patched B10 and then installed Clockworx 3.0.1.4 and updated to CM7 (it was nightly initially). Unfortunately mine screen locking after each (!) reboot/shutdown. Wipes, etc. didn't helped. I use so called stable CM7 but it not fixed anything. What a joke - I need to use phone with open backside just to be able to remove battery!

I wasn't able to locate the verified pattern on how to start the phone with active screen.

I also wonder how to test what screen I actually have? I assume it is TFT (with max brightness it still hard to read dark areas on the sun) but I would like to see some proofs.

Guest 3lackhawk
I also have issues with recently purchased OSF. It was B10 (update1), I've unlocked it, then flashed patched B10 and then installed Clockworx 3.0.1.4 and updated to CM7 (it was nightly initially). Unfortunately mine screen locking after each (!) reboot/shutdown. Wipes, etc. didn't helped. I use so called stable CM7 but it not fixed anything. What a joke - I need to use phone with open backside just to be able to remove battery!

I wasn't able to locate the verified pattern on how to start the phone with active screen.

I also wonder how to test what screen I actually have? I assume it is TFT (with max brightness it still hard to read dark areas on the sun) but I would like to see some proofs.

Dial this code *983*24474636# and you will see your touch info

Guest 3lackhawk
I have 2 stock Orange ROMS - one with working touch, second with not.

I've flashed non working ROM with boot.img from working one. Touch is working.

I did not found any noticeable changes between init scripts

diff bad/boot/boot.img-ramdisk/init.rc good/boot/boot.img-ramdisk/init.rc 
17a18
> #2010-12-30 huoliping add for partner app uninstall requirement ZTE_HLP_CRDB00591286
395a397,401
> #ZTE_HLP_CRDB00591286
> service copypartnerapp /system/bin/copypartnerapp
> oneshot
> #end ZTE_HLP_CRDB00591286
>
[/codebox]

[codebox]diff bad/config good/config
4c4
---
1112c1112,1115
---
> CONFIG_MT9P111=y

Maybe It is a prof as the problem in the boot.img.....

My workmates flashed (with froyo) 3 Blades today and wokred like a charm These blades seems to be the same as mine.....

Guest hecatae

diff bad/config good/config 
4c4
---
1112c1112,1115
---
> CONFIG_MT9P111=y
[/codebox]

so a boot.img that sets the 5.0 mp camera found in other blades fixes the touchscreen issues?

Guest Revik
so a boot.img that sets the 5.0 mp camera found in other blades fixes the touchscreen issues?

I was trying to take kernel from one ROM to another to be sure that the case in kernel only, but have a problem with building new boot.img.

Guest Red Beaver

Hey

I bought a Gen2 ZTE Blade last week and yesterday I flashed it using the the latest CyanogenMod (7.0.0 Stable-something, gingerbread). During the bootup the CyanogenMod logo is showed and then the normal "first-time-using-a-android-phone-screen" appears with the following options: Emergency call, Change Language and touch the Android to start. Sometimes the white hand that is pointing at the android is shown, sometimes it hangs while moving across the screen and sometimes I cant see it at all.

Here I cant do anything, the touch doesnt work and I few seconds later I get thrown back to the CyanogenMod logo and then after a while I get the "first-time-using-a-android-phone-screen" again and the touch still doesnt work. It will continue doing this loop till I pull the battery. When I boot it up again I get the same result as earlier.

Is this the same problem as you guys have? I dont know if my problem is because of faulty touch or because the phone hangs considering the white hand that sometimes get stuck and the fact that i get thrown back to the CyanogenMod-loading screen?

Guest RamanRB

How was you able to compare these images? What if we repack CM7 image? I believe we need to recompile boot.img then as kernel config changes are not instant. If there are reference to the module, perhaps we may just copy it from the stock firmware? mt9p111 refer to Sensor so perhaps it is not our case as touchscreen works in some rare cases (when you play with battery, etc.). On other hand if sensor locking it may explain why we seen touchscreen disabled - system assume proximity sensor in effect and doesn't allow us to use sensor.

Guest Revik
How was you able to compare these images? What if we repack CM7 image? I believe we need to recompile boot.img then as kernel config changes are not instant. If there are reference to the module, perhaps we may just copy it from the stock firmware? mt9p111 refer to Sensor so perhaps it is not our case as touchscreen works in some rare cases (when you play with battery, etc.). On other hand if sensor locking it may explain why we seen touchscreen disabled - system assume proximity sensor in effect and doesn't allow us to use sensor.

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

this is HOW-TO for unpacking images.

CM7 have different kernel version, and config is also different. So it is not so easy to recompile boot.img..

Guest hecatae

mt9p111 is the 5.0mp camera sensor module

Guest leromarinvit

After further investigation, it seems they didn't change a damn thing in the synaptics_i2c_rmi driver itself - the disassembly is identical. Whatever we have to do to make it work, it must be somewhere else.