What is the most stable ROM?

Guest owen1978

Guest owen1978

Hi,

Just bought the Orange SF as a present for the wife.

Looking around at all the roms cant decide which one to install on her phone?

What Im looking for is the most stable & reliable rom (with good gps lock & wifi) not to bothered about it being 2.1 or 2.2

I was thinking about Pauls de-oranged rom?

Also does these roms include a radio update or is it seperate like my hero?

Many Thanks

Guest macrules
Hi,

What Im looking for is the most stable & reliable rom (with good gps lock & wifi) not to bothered about it being 2.1 or 2.2

Many Thanks

JJ9 is better, no Wifi isssues.

It is stable, fast en seems to be ok with the battery.

You might also keep an eye on the CM6.1 by Tom G, which is nearing completion.

Hi,

Many Thanks

I would recommend Sebastian's de-orangeated if you're happy enough with 2.1.

I haven't tried the r9 version yet, but have installed r8 on several devices and it is most definitely one I would trust for wife/child/grandmother etc.

If you're interested in trying 2.2 I could also recommend his de-crossed It seems very good all around and stable. Obviously JJ, FLB, and Paul's are quite good as well, but I haven't installed the latest versions of those to test myself. The may be more performance oriented than stability oriented but are all fine nonetheless.

Quick edit: If by Paul's De-oranged your talking about MCR 2.1 r4, I would guess that you would have problems with that because it only supports OLED screens, and as you recently purchased your SF that it would have a TFT/LCD screen.

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest owen1978

Had a look at Sebastian's de-orangeated, I looks Tried & Tested and probably the safest bet!

Thanks

EDIT

Does this require a seperate radio ROM?

Edited by owen1978

Had a look at Sebastian's de-orangeated, I looks Tried & Tested and probably the safest bet!

Thanks

EDIT

Does this require a seperate radio ROM?

Not exactly sure what you mean by separate radio rom.

Basically on those two roms, everything works straight out of the box.

Guest owen1978
Not exactly sure what you mean by separate radio rom.

Basically on those two roms, everything works straight out of the box.

On the HTC Hero you have 2 roms; one is basically the OS and the Radio ROM is an update for the Antenna (so signal is improved)

So im guessing that on the blade its just the one ROM for the OS

On the HTC Hero you have 2 roms; one is basically the OS and the Radio ROM is an update for the Antenna (so signal is improved)

So im guessing that on the blade its just the one ROM for the OS

Yup, one rom is all you need.

Guest Down&Out

All i'll say is dont go with japanese jellyfish, i couldnt even get my phone to run for less than a minute without it freezing and rebooting and most the time refusing to boot.

I went with FLB-Froyo G2, so far had no problems, i think its nicer looking than JJ

Edited by Down&Out

Guest drunkenfcuk

I'd recommend you go for a 2.2 ROM as they're all based on the updated kernel, and therefore stable, and 2.2 is a good deal slicker than 2.1 anyway. I've tried the MCR, FLB and JJ ROMs and they're all stable with no issues, and GPS and WiFi work well. It's really just a matter of personal preference. Haven't tried any of Seb's ROMs, but they're very well liked as well. Simple answer - any one will suit your needs. Just close your eyes and click! :D

Guest Super Ted
Another vote for Seb's ROMs :D

I used his 2.1 and am now using his 2.2!

Which of his 2.2 roms are you using? I'm guessing its the de-crossed one, not the de-chinaed one. I want a good stable 2.2 rom that won't cause the missus any hassle. This is for a UK TFT on T-Mobile (not that the network makes much of a difference).

Edit: just saw your sig. Is the alpha version stable or should I go for another version.

Edited by Super Ted

Guest netdudeuk

I've emphasised the key word here for you.

I suspect that most people who want to re-flash the ROMs for their wives and girlfriends are just doing it for their own fun. I don't expect the recipients of these phones would welcome the chance to wi-fi tether more than they would the chance to unlock their phone everytime without any fuss, for example. Really, if it's a gift for your wife, give her the stock Orange ROM with LauncherPro, hide all the Orange crap and she'll not think anything ill of the phone or of you. I'm a serious geek guy and I've resisted the temptation to mess with my phone because it really does work perfectly ok as it is. It was a hard move from my iPhone but I've asked if I'd go back and the answer's a resounding 'No'. The SF works great as it is.

Guest owen1978
I've emphasised the key word here for you.

I suspect that most people who want to re-flash the ROMs for their wives and girlfriends are just doing it for their own fun. I don't expect the recipients of these phones would welcome the chance to wi-fi tether more than they would the chance to unlock their phone everytime without any fuss, for example. Really, if it's a gift for your wife, give her the stock Orange ROM with LauncherPro, hide all the Orange crap and she'll not think anything ill of the phone or of you. I'm a serious geek guy and I've resisted the temptation to mess with my phone because it really does work perfectly ok as it is. It was a hard move from my iPhone but I've asked if I'd go back and the answer's a resounding 'No'. The SF works great as it is.

I would want to give her the stock android experience, as this will hopefully be the first of many android phones in the many years to come. Im not doing it for my own fun lol, im having a great time with gingerbread rom on my hero.

Guest Rotmann

Giving her a 2.1 phone is a stupid idea, it's so sluggish compared to 2.2. My wife had 2.1 first and now she has FLB 2.2, she noticed the differences immediately, she's much more happier with the phone now, perfectly stable, no bugs, wonderful battery life. With 2.3 CM7 nightly just around the corner (should be released tomorrow morning), I can imagine she will run 2.3 in a matter of days.

Edited by Rotmann

just finding my way around all this stuff - wow - so many acronyms & so many options.

re a 'stable 2.2' ROM - any direct links to a download. I was looking at the Modaco ones but realise now you seem to need to pay for access to these.

Is the JJRLS9 here at the top of the download list a known stable release - JJRLS9

I'm not looking for cutting edge, as it will be my first use of Android I guess I want one that will have the least hassle once I've got it on the phone - so any other suggestions with direct links to the download would be appreciated.

I can always upgrade and choose again later once I'm more comfortable with all this

Edited by mandub

Guest Rotmann

I would install FLB Froyo if I were you, JJ is not supported anymore. Or if you want cutting edge than CM7 RC1, but you have to apply some work-arounds tll some of the bugs get fixed.