Building CyanogenMod7

Guest fonix232

Guest paulgdp
I have the same problem.

Installed the new rom, stays for some secs on the green android screen and them reboot into recovery mode.

I used a clean (not really :P ) debian 64bit machine to build the image without setting up a temp ubuntu installation.

Then I suppose that this problem must be related to the recent git commits made on TomG's sources..

It's also probably why the beta3 hasn't already been released.

Guest whatcolour
Hi,

I post here my experience while building this rom. I hope that some informations will help people to build the rom, but in the end my final rom doesn't work (the phone keeps rebooting in clockmodwork)

First I describe you my building environment :

I'm using Debian Sid 32 bits for my day to day work, but for my first try compiling cyanogenmod, I wanted to follow as close as possible the tuto so I created a ubuntu 10.10 64bits chroot.

You can do this with theses commands under any linux distributions (You just need to have deboostrap installed) with a 64bits linux kernel (so you can do this on a 32bits user space system with a 64bit kernel).

All the commands are done in root

# mkdir ubuntu

# debootstrap --arch=amd64 --variant=buildd --verbose maverick ubuntu

# mount procfs -t proc ubuntu/proc/

# mount sysfs -t sysfs ubuntu/sys/

# mount -o bind /dev ubuntu/dev/

# mount -o bind /dev/pts/ ubuntu/dev/pts/

# chroot ubuntu

Then, I followed the instructions of the tutorial, but I just want to add that you must add the partner repository BEFORE installing the packages to have sun-java6 installed.

Everything worked except for the extract-file part.

I had the same problem as Pierg75 and dannejo (I use JJ9 which must miss some files), so I used unzip-file.sh to extract the file from some zipped rom. (BTW the script has some typo problem, I give you a corrected one on my ftp).

I tried to extract the file from differents roms (cyanogen_blade-ota-cm7-beta2.zip, r0.2_update_de-crossed_blade_signed.zip, flb-froyo-blade-r8a.zip and Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9.zip) but none of them had all the required files...

So I've done a mix of all of them using this priority: cyanogen_blade-ota-cm7-beta2.zip > r0.2_update_de-crossed_blade_signed.zip > flb-froyo-blade-r8a.zip > Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9.zip.

I also give you the resulted directory containing all the proprietary files on my ftp.

And then I successfully compiled the rom (which is also on the ftp), then flashed it on my phone (I formated /boot /system /data and /cache), but it doesn't work.

The phone stay 1 minute on the ZTE blade splash screen and then reboot on clockworkmod recovery..

Here are all the files I was speaking about: http://paulgrandperrin.free.fr/android/

Do you have any ideas why the rom is not booting?

And btw thanks to everyone involved in custom rom development for the zte!

Similar procedure and same result, i.e., keep rebooting into recovery.

I'm surprised that unzip_file and extract_files don't share the same code with suitable switch for zip vs adb, seems daft and error prone having to do everything twice.

Guest fonix232
I'm surprised that unzip_file and extract_files don't share the same code with suitable switch for zip vs adb, seems daft and error prone having to do everything twice.

It is the usual CM-stuff, every phone what's in and has two ways of getting the files has both files :P

Guest metzench

1. Thanks TomG for the great work so far.

2. Would be nice to know from which rom exactly TomG pulled the necessary files. Then we all could pull them from the same source were it is known to work or not? Anyone knows something about that?

3. My build succeeded, didn´t install it yet, but i think it wont work either as your others. What i think is strange, TomGs image is 84MB mine update-cm-nightly-signed.zip is only 61MB and there is a zte-blade-ota-eng.metzench.zip that is 64MB. How come the size differs that much? Must be a problem somewhere.....

Regards,

Christian

2. Would be nice to know from which rom exactly TomG pulled the necessary files. Then we all could pull them from the same source were it is known to work or not? Anyone knows something about that?

you don't need to know, simply use Toms latest release to extract from. if you need extra files in addition to that then extract them manually, add them to the copy script, build your rom then add them to extract and away you go next time.

Guest metzench
you don't need to know, simply use Toms latest release to extract from. if you need extra files in addition to that then extract them manually, add them to the copy script, build your rom then add them to extract and away you go next time.

Did you already try to extract them from his latest image with unzip_files yourself?

Regards, Christian

Guest hecatae
1. Thanks TomG for the great work so far.

3. My build succeeded, didn´t install it yet, but i think it wont work either as your others. What i think is strange, TomGs image is 84MB mine update-cm-nightly-signed.zip is only 61MB and there is a zte-blade-ota-eng.metzench.zip that is 64MB. How come the size differs that much? Must be a problem somewhere.....

Regards,

Christian

have you extracted them both and found any folders are a bigger size?

20mb is quite a lot, is anything missing from the build process?

Guest ThrashMan
At the moment i think it's pretty much a free for all still, hopefully once/if this becomes an official cyanogen build it will come under more control with access and code reviews for others to add to.

Sweet....quite excited about this project (in a sad geeky kind of way).

Will happily join in when things come under some sort of control.

Guest thecoming

sbscj88@linuxmint ~ $ cd device/zte/blade

bash: cd: device/zte/blade: No such file or directory

im getting this error, i cant seem to get my phone to start the usb so i can activate the debug mode. anyone know how to fix this?

sbscj88@linuxmint ~ $ cd device/zte/blade

bash: cd: device/zte/blade: No such file or directory

im getting this error, i cant seem to get my phone to start the usb so i can activate the debug mode. anyone know how to fix this?

surely it should be something like cd cm6/device/zte/blade

Guest metzench
have you extracted them both and found any folders are a bigger size?

20mb is quite a lot, is anything missing from the build process?

Well despite the fact that the recovery directory is missing ( isnt this a full image only update to an already installed cm7? How to build the whole image? ), tha app directory is missing 20MB, like adw launcher and other apps that are there in TomG´s image.

How do we build an full image for CM?

Regards,

Christian

Well despite the fact that the recovery directory is missing ( isnt this a full image only update to an already installed cm7? How to build the whole image? ), tha app directory is missing 20MB, like adw launcher and other apps that are there in TomG´s image.

Regards,

Christian

Tom probably added those manually to the vendor/zte directory which isn't included in github, maybe he will eventually provide a sctipt like CM do for google apps and rom manager

Guest thecoming
surely it should be something like cd cm6/device/zte/blade

Have you tried this? ill give it a go later and see what i can do. i would like to build the latest version and help add to the git

Have you tried this? ill give it a go later and see what i can do. i would like to build the latest version and help add to the git

Well, it all depends on where you got the code to when you used git. If it's not in your home dir then cd device/zte/blade will not work!

Guest hecatae

Regards,

Christian

missing from /system/app

: ADWLauncher.apk

: Androidian.apk

: AndroidTerm.apk

: CMParts.apk

: CMStats.apk

: CMUpdateNotify.apk

: CMWallpapers.apk

: Cyanbread.apk

: DSPManager.apk

: RomManager.apk

: Stk.apk

: ThemeChooser.apk

: ThemeManager.apk

missing from system/bin

Only in _update/system/bin: applypatch_static

Only in _update/system/bin: backuptool.sh

Only in _update/system/bin: check_prereq

Only in _update/system/bin: chkkineto.sh

Only in _update/system/bin: compcache

Only in _update/system/bin: dump_image

Only in _update/system/bin: e2fsck

Only in _update/system/bin: e2label

Only in _update/system/bin: erase_image

Only in _update/system/bin: fix_permissions

Only in _update/system/bin: flash_image

Only in _update/system/bin: gdbjithelper

Only in _update/system/bin: handle_compcache

Only in _update/system/bin: InputChannel_test

Only in _update/system/bin: InputDispatcher_test

Only in _update/system/bin: InputPublisherAndConsumer_test

Only in _update/system/bin: InputReader_test

Only in _update/system/bin: Looper_test

Only in _update/system/bin: lsof

Only in _update/system/bin: mke2fs

Only in _update/system/bin: resize2fs

Only in _update/system/bin: skia_test

Only in _update/system/bin: String8_test

Only in _update/system/bin: sysinit

Only in _update/system/bin: tune2fs

Only in _update/system/bin: unyaffs

Only in _update/system/bin: updater

Only in _update/system/bin: verify_cache_partition_size.sh

missing from system/etc

Only in _update/system/etc: CHANGELOG-CM.txt

Only in _update/system/etc: init.d

Only in _update/system/etc: init.local.rc

Only in _update/system/etc: mke2fs.conf

Only in _update/system/etc: profile

Only in _update/system/etc: resolv.conf

Only in _update/system/etc: sysctl.conf

Only in _update/system/etc: terminfo

and thats only a few of the files missing

Guest metzench

Yes same here.

Would really be nice to know how TomG assembled his image, trying google to get a clue about building cm7 doesn´t teach me anything new. Tried anything i could find. But it´s always the same!

Regards,

Christian

Guest hecatae
Yes same here.

Would really be nice to know how TomG assembled his image, trying google to get a clue about building cm7 doesn´t teach me anything new. Tried anything i could find. But it´s always the same!

Regards,

Christian

I'm going to merge the system folder in my update.zip with the cm7 beta2 zip and report back

Tom G is updating his tree today

Edited by hecatae

Guest hecatae
IV. Building the source

Building is the final and easiest part.

In the sudo terminal, go back to CM7 root

cd ~/cm7
And now let's collect all devices in the source!
source build/envsetup.sh
This command will list all discovered devices. Next step is, to select the build you want to make. For this, type
lunch

in the terminal!

This will bring up a list with a lot of devices. We specifically need the ones beginning with zte_blade-*!

Usually I like to build the eng version (meaning engineer version), but you can of course try the userdebug one too!

To select the device, look at the name, and get the number of it (in my case, zte_blade-eng's number is 34). Then type that and press enter. It will set up the environment to build CM7 for the Blade.

building userdebug fails, and why are you using "lunch" and not "brunch"?

edit: ah brunch is for cyanogenmod official supported devices

and can the same instructions be used for cm6? -b froyo or -b froyo-stable ?

Edited by hecatae

Guest metzench

and can the same instructions be used for cm6? -b froyo or -b froyoplus ?

Didn´t try out userdebug, but i did a build with brunch, made no difference for me! Did you had any success with that?

Regards,

Christian

Guest fonix232

and can the same instructions be used for cm6? -b froyo or -b froyoplus ?

I don't use brunch as it did not list the blade for me.

And also, it is totally automated, so you can't hand-pick some stuff if one goes wrong.

Guest metzench
I don't use brunch as it did not list the blade for me.

And also, it is totally automated, so you can't hand-pick some stuff if one goes wrong.

Are the missing apps included in your build? Don´tthink so or?

Somewhere has to be the solution for that.

Regards,

Christian

Guest hecatae

Regards,

Christian

did you use unzip-files.sh or extracted-files.sh?

Guest hecatae
Didn´t try out userdebug, but i did a build with brunch, made no difference for me! Did you had any success with that?

Regards,

Christian

brunch did nothing for me, going to try building cm6 and froyo-stable branch

Edited by hecatae

Guest fonix232

Regards,

Christian

I ran into several Java errors what halted building (looks like too much sh*t on my Ubuntu) so I couldn't build, neither I tried userdebug (I like the better debug support of eng). So I can't tell what and how is ficked up.