MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM running 2.2.1

Guest sulligogs

Guest sulligogs

This is mainly aimed at Paul and the Devs around here, but, as the title suggests, can we have a MoDaCo custom Froyo ROM running 2.2.1? And is it worth it?

I ask this because whilst trying out CyanogenMod 6.1 Beta 2 which seemed to run just fine, albeit a few annoying bugs here and there, I noticed that it was running Android 2.2.1.

The latest MoDaCo custom ROM, R12, is still running Android 2.2 and although the WiFi seems to have been sorted out, I thought that 2.2.1 was a fix for the WiFi problem with 2.2. Maybe I heard wrong and maybe 2.2 is just as good as for the Blade?

Also, on the CyanogenMod 6 forum there is a thing called "RIL" that keeps on being mentioned. I think it stands for Radio Interface Layer and I believe it has been broken for a lot, if not all, of the custom ROMs for the Blade. Tom G, of the CyanogenMod 6 for Blade project, has essentially fixed the RIL problem.

What advantage, if any, would there be for having a fixed RIL for the Blade?

Overall, is it worth running a custom ROM with Android 2.2.1 and would having a fixed RIL actually do anything with our phones?

Just curious,

Sulligogs

Guest hecatae

what I'd like to see is a bug thread for cm6.1 beta2 so that the bugs can be squished, this would then give us a cm6 bugfree which we could turn into a 2.2.1 AOSP so roms like MCR could exist on 2.2.1 or 2.2.2

I've heard rumours of 2.4 due in April, is it worth working on 2.2 or should the work be made on 2.3?

Edited by hecatae

This is mainly aimed at Paul and the Devs around here, but, as the title suggests, can we have a MoDaCo custom Froyo ROM running 2.2.1? And is it worth it?

I ask this because whilst trying out CyanogenMod 6.1 Beta 2 which seemed to run just fine, albeit a few annoying bugs here and there, I noticed that it was running Android 2.2.1.

The latest MoDaCo custom ROM, R12, is still running Android 2.2 and although the WiFi seems to have been sorted out, I thought that 2.2.1 was a fix for the WiFi problem with 2.2. Maybe I heard wrong and maybe 2.2 is just as good as for the Blade?

Also, on the CyanogenMod 6 forum there is a thing called "RIL" that keeps on being mentioned. I think it stands for Radio Interface Layer and I believe it has been broken for a lot, if not all, of the custom ROMs for the Blade. Tom G, of the CyanogenMod 6 for Blade project, has essentially fixed the RIL problem.

What advantage, if any, would there be for having a fixed RIL for the Blade?

Overall, is it worth running a custom ROM with Android 2.2.1 and would having a fixed RIL actually do anything with our phones?

Just curious,

Sulligogs

The FLB-Froyo G2 ROM already uses some 2.2.1r1 elements:

"What is FLB-Froyo G2?

It's a ROM based upon the most recent Chinese Froyo ROM for the ZTE Blade with all operator customizations removed and elements from stock Android 2.2.2r1. This is designed to provide the most vanilla Froyo experience for the ZTE Blade along with some speed."

Yes, RIL is Radio Interface Layer, smartphones using this for making/receiving calls, sms, mms, 3G data, etc. Without it, it's not a "phone" anymore.

It's working fine with all of the custom ROMs (MCR, Jellyfish, etc) because they are based on the released ZTE-s kernel. The problem is, it wasn't working with custom ROMs based on AOSP builds. But thanks to Tom G it's fixed now and CyanogenMod is on the way for the Blade.

So, is it worth it running a custom ROM? Yes, I'm currently using FLB-Froyo, in the past I've mostly used Japanese Jellyfish, but tried all other versions you can find here.

Z

Guest Cardyology
So, is it worth it running a custom ROM? Yes, I'm currently using FLB-Froyo, in the past I've mostly used Japanese Jellyfish, but tried all other versions you can find here.

Z

I'm currently on Jj9, would I notice much of a difference if I switched to the Flb-froyo? Did you?

I'm currently on Jj9, would I notice much of a difference if I switched to the Flb-froyo? Did you?

I did. Try it. ;o).

Do a backup of all your stuff, flash Flibblesan's rom, have a play and if you don't like it flash back and restore.

Psi

Guest vareBlade
what I'd like to see is a bug thread for cm

Id second that, making a 'bugtracker' topic with all known bugs that is

Edited by vareBlade

Guest oh!dougal
Erm the core system libs are 2.2. The only elements of 2.2.2r1 are system apps as thats where the majority of bug fixes are.

There is a specific Bluetooth bug in 2.2.0 that I've hit which is declared fixed in Android 2.2.1 and later.

It causes a reboot when you switch off your Bluetooth or Bluetooth headset (if you have used Vlingo or anything else that works by recording the audio from Bluetooth - maybe Google's Voice Dialling over Bluetooth as well?)

Accordingly, I too am watching with interest for the appearance of 2.2.1 stuff ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest gremlinman
I'#d like to know this too.

Not Much difference allow for me jj9 is faster!

FLB has more customization

If you like overclocking, hardware acell etc... .............. JJ9!!!!

Guest daniel2k10
Not Much difference allow for me jj9 is faster!

FLB has more customization

If you like overclocking, hardware acell etc... .............. JJ9!!!!

for me flb has always been faster than JJ, and now with the overclocking kernel added it's the fastest rom i've ever had...