Correlation between loss of GSM when WIFI active?

Guest TheChill

Guest TheChill

The issue with a loss of GSM signal when WIFI is enabled seems to be a common complaint these days

and, to be honest, it has been bugging me recently, but I've not had the time to sit down and dig deeper

into the issue. However, I did manage to snag a crucial few seconds to glance over the Mobile Network

Settings on my (r8a) FBL install earlier, and noticed in GSM/UMTS Options that (by default?) "Use only

2G networks" was enabled.

I was prompted to explore these settings because, at that time, I had lost the GSM signal in a region of

the house that usually afforded me one bar. Anyway, not wanting to tie myself down to 2G networks

only, I disabled the option and almost immediately two things happened: my WIFI signal improved by

a notch and the GSM signal was re-attained at two bars (one bar above what the location typically

allows).

Repeating the experiment (enabling "Use only 2G networks") I find that the GSM signal is prone to being

lost (lost immediately in some cases), but re-appearing (even stronger) when "Use only 2G networks" is

disabled.

Can anyone else confirm this rather interesting phenomenon?

EDIT: I've noticed a couple of times that after re-enabling "Use only 2G networks" the signal has displayed

the 'R' roaming icon, even though roaming is disabled. It survives a reboot. Only by reconnecting to my

chosen network (3 mobile) is it removed (GSM/UMTS Options, Network operators).

EDIT: Upon disabling "Use only 2G networks" I've had no GSM disconnects in otherwise dodgy locations

in over 20 minutes, whereas it was otherwise a certainty.

Edited by TheChill

Guest TheChill
Bizarrely, yes, I get the same thing...

Including improved signal strengths on WIFI and GSM?

When you installed the ROM, was it from a clean, wiped system, or over the top of an existing installation?

I'm using the same rom and have to use 2G cos 3G is so crap inside my house (orange)

I get loads better signal on 2G and have no issues switching between 2G and wifi, and back.

At home I have the 'use only 2G networks' on as if I leave the setting on auto it switches me between 2G and 3G as I move round the house and causes havoc with messages and calls.

Guest rutteger

I also note loss of mobile network when wifi is switched on sometimes, using FLB 8a. Seems to ocur on 2G and 3G.

One thing I did note was that the phone still has mobile signal, when looking in Settings>About>Status I noted the following

Netowrk : Unknown

Signal : 97dmb 8asu (which is quite ok)

Mobile : HSPDA

Service : out of service

To reconnect to my mobile provider I can either wait a few minutes, select it through the wireless and networks menu or toggle wifi off-on.

Guest Davie1888
I also note loss of mobile network when wifi is switched on sometimes, using FLB 8a. Seems to ocur on 2G and 3G.

One thing I did note was that the phone still has mobile signal, when looking in Settings>About>Status I noted the following

Netowrk : Unknown

Signal : 97dmb 8asu (which is quite ok)

Mobile : HSPDA

Service : out of service

To reconnect to my mobile provider I can either wait a few minutes, select it through the wireless and networks menu or toggle wifi off-on.

I get a similar result with WiFi on

Service State : In Service

Mobile Network State : Disconnected

Guest Simon O

Theres an app I've been using to check the mobile signal strength called Real Signal. https://market.android.com/details?id=kenyu73.realsignal

I installed it to help with diagnosing any issues that could be causing loss of signal on the phones. Hasn't helped yet but it certainly shows, to me, that the stock signal notification bars are showing the wrong signal strength but it's cosmetic.

Guest smudgeroo
Including improved signal strengths on WIFI and GSM?

When you installed the ROM, was it from a clean, wiped system, or over the top of an existing installation?

Clean and wiped, including system. Everything still works, so life is good!