How does samsung officially 'cook' ?

Guest TheThingx

Guest TheThingx

Hi,

This is a great forum (XDA too) for many things in particular ROM cooking, and there are many great ppl who made their own tools and shared them with all of us (thank you :D ).

The question is: How does samsung itself create ROMs? what tools do they use (if anyone here works there and can tell us something please)?. What exactly do they get from microsoft (Toolkit and core OS files??) when they buy a license? Any insight will be helpful, thanks.

Guest kimitza

You do realise you are asking the holy graal?:D...if the chefs knew this...i think they would've cooked better roms than samsung and MS :D)...I guess samsung gets only a part of the source code( the part that allows to implement specific settings and drivers) or NONE. We know very well the MS policy. I thik samsung sends the device specs to MS and they code the core for it. If MS would allow acces to the source code,maybe we would have better roms, bug free, stable..etc.Look at android...producers have acces to the code and...they are making better roms.Not by much, it's all marketing my friend. They fix some bugs in a new release,but let other appear, in order to go for the next device.

Let's be honest,who would move on from a flawless device?

Guest reaper83
You do realise you are asking the holy graal?:D...if the chefs knew this...i think they would've cooked better roms than samsung and MS :D)...I guess samsung gets only a part of the source code( the part that allows to implement specific settings and drivers) or NONE. We know very well the MS policy. I thik samsung sends the device specs to MS and they code the core for it. If MS would allow acces to the source code,maybe we would have better roms, bug free, stable..etc.Look at android...producers have acces to the code and...they are making better roms.Not by much, it's all marketing my friend. They fix some bugs in a new release,but let other appear, in order to go for the next device.

True on that one.

..... They fix some bugs in a new release,but let other appear, in order to go for the next device.

Development is done today on the consumer's back.

We want the latest, greatest, unfinished product and this is what we get, at a premium price.

If the consumer would shift to a more conservative approach, products

would be stable, expansive, and durable.

Until then, we buy a beta version at fully blown price tag, show off with it and move on.

Specifically,

the Samsung Omnia II was designed with a

bad camera,

bad gps,

bad (leaky) os,

lack of memory

and bad 3d support.

No ROM will revert all that, even if they tried.

BTW moving from flawless device to another, does happen when the list of features evolve.

Edited by rrr2

Guest TheThingx

@kimitza:

I remember i read a post from someone who said he worked at samsung mobile, but forgot the post contents or where i read it (something about Jtag as i'm afraid to brick my phone) and i wish someone from inside (or was) can answer. Also about all capitalism stuff +1 :D.

@darkworldzz:

Yess, i even saw the documentation that comes with samsung CDMA modem driver, cool stuff! read if you haven't already!

@rrr2:

stability and durability also comes at a price premium, not defending anyone, but research costs a LOT and companies have to make profit too, along with some more profit (like a nice fruit phone ppl like), so not everyone can afford them, but hey you can stick to a 2 years contract, right? :D

Also a bad OS causes all other things mentioned, of course backed by poor samsung support (cmon admit it :) and i wont hear bada for an excuse!).

Only if the mobile platform was as open as the desktop platform... we would pick our own OS, download the drivers for the hardware, and "customize to the bones". (dreammmmmmmmmm).