CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

PEOPLE, TRY TO READ!

I already wrote this many times... go to the freakin Spare parts, select that fukken "End key behavior" and set it to "Go to sleep"!

Basically with CM, the phone won't go to sleep (as it was, on ZTE ROMs). This setting will make it sleep. Overnight loss: 5% in 14 hours.

And I say. It doesn't work!

Just for some clarity, I'm not using the shake app, I have used the spare parts doodad since Fonix suggested it (I think I may have been the one to mention battery life issues, and it was our conversation it came out of) and through looking at battery stats nothing is taking up excessive amounts of bettery. It's just that starting at 2 or 3 in the morning, the phone comes out of sleep (having been there since I went to bed) hover around awake, and goes back to sleep just before I wake up, so 7-ish. Spare parts has become useless and won't tell me anthing about Partial Wake usage, either.

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

Guest domdom43
I think that's intentional to let you know it needs charging.

If the LED didn't flash when screen was off, I wouldn't know it was flat.

It's maybe intentional but it should be configurable, because it finish to drain battery

Big bag O' temporary fixes

*Fonix232's patch for a working Nightly 1: Features working RIL, camera, WiFi, OMX, and HW acceleration. Doesn't fix any other known bugs. Just what should be working in this ROM. Flash using Clockwork or RA

*Courtesy of feckineejit, a proximity sensor fix.

*Similarly, from good ole Frankish "If you untick "In Call Touch UI" from call settings, the screen stays on the whole time your in call and you have to press menu to bring up options to dismiss call etc, temporary solution for now "

*As most likely still posted below: An update package to add Overclock features from the broken Nightly 1 to the working RC Build from Frankish

*Frankish is on a roll today; Here is a fix to get volume controls working while the phone is asleep.

HAS ANYONE uploaded the "Fixes" to the relevant place on the github or wherever it is people upload fixes for CM to so the people developing the rom has access to it?

if not I suggest the fixes are passed on to the relevant place/people?

HAS ANYONE uploaded the "Fixes" to the relevant place on the github or wherever it is people upload fixes for CM to so the people developing the rom has access to it?

Fix one isn't a fix, it should be included, it was just a whoopsie on Cyanogenmod's side.

Fix 2 is an app

Fix 3 is a work around that reduces functionality

Fix 4 is already included in the nightlies

Fix 5 is the only one needed to be updated. I shall see what I can do on the Gerrit. Not that I know how to use it.

EDIT: No, I fail, the review system and github are way beyond my knowledge at the moment. What with all the cmd line stuff.

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

PEOPLE, TRY TO READ!

I already wrote this many times... go to the freakin Spare parts, select that fukken "End key behavior" and set it to "Go to sleep"!

Basically with CM, the phone won't go to sleep (as it was, on ZTE ROMs). This setting will make it sleep. Overnight loss: 5% in 14 hours.

I've set this and with the shake app disabled, I've still lost 15% during the night.

I've noticed that the "Status Bar" app is always in the foreground however. Can this be the reason?

Guest fonix232

I've made a push request for the volume fix, still waiting to be accepted though.

Guest fonix232
I've set this and with the shake app disabled, I've still lost 15% during the night.

I've noticed that the "Status Bar" app is always in the foreground however. Can this be the reason?

Well, the notification (status) bar has to be in foreground don't you think? Or the clock, notifications, etc, would all appear delayed :D

Well, the notification (status) bar has to be in foreground don't you think? Or the clock, notifications, etc, would all appear delayed :D

Might be, however in JJ this wasn't like this, there was no such app in the fg. I was just asking :D.

If that was Frankish one then the headset button still wont work =\

Frankish only fixed volume buttons. Another patch fixed the headset button.

I have never noticed a status bar app... And of course it's nessecary. :D

Anyway, Fonix, how is your battery life with this ROM? Does your spare parts work around definately work for you?

Guest Frankish
Uploaded in other thread, but i'll stick here too as it makes more sense.

Never made zip before, so Frankish I used yours as a base and replaced the qwerty.kl, hope you don't mind.

I added the correct options in qwerty.kl for headset button, here it is:

I also removed some WAKE_DROPPED entries I thought as unecessary. All working good for me thus far.

Should headsethook not have wake at the end?

Guest skymera
Should headsethook not have wake at the end?

Works without using WAKE or WAKE_DROPPED oddly enough.

I'll test more.

Maybe it'll need WAKE_DROPPED to end calls?

I've only tested it with music currently.

Edited by skymera

Guest fonix232
If that was Frankish one then the headset button still wont work =\

As I said in the other topic, I've added both of yours patches.

I think the status bar is now separated from the main framework, thus can run separately.

Also battery is kinda good for me, off of USB since 12:00, had a 10 minute call and some wifi, and still at 93%.

Edited by fonix232

PEOPLE, TRY TO READ!

Already did that. This is despite that. That setting is not quite fixing it. On this ROM, losing lot of battery overnight. And this is on a fresh install. With Only gapps installed and Wifi/3G turned off.

In Battery Info, I notice that the phone is awake for much longer than the screen is on. This is the problem. But i'm not sure what's causing it.

In Spare Parts, under Partial Wake Usage, Media, Android System, and Dialer are consistently at the top. And I've had this issue since the Betas. It continued on the RC and now on the first nigthly.

Guest targetbsp

Not helpful to those with issues but to balance things: my battery life is fine and my spare parts reports partial wakes perfectly - that's how I know Just Shake hits the battery hard.

It's odd how battery life affects different people on different roms. On froyo everyone seemed to have a rom where battery life sucked for them whilst other roms that sucked for other people were fine. :S

Not helpful to those with issues but to balance things: my battery life is fine and my spare parts reports partial wakes perfectly - that's how I know Just Shake hits the battery hard.

It's odd how battery life affects different people on different roms. On froyo everyone seemed to have a rom where battery life sucked for them whilst other roms that sucked for other people were fine. :S

Haha, exactly. JJ never worked out for me, I could see it ticking down, whereas FLB and MCR where equally perfect.

It's the same here. Obviously there's something in the way each of us use our phones that changes battery life radically.

Guest Len Ash
Haha, exactly. JJ never worked out for me, I could see it ticking down, whereas FLB and MCR where equally perfect.

It's the same here. Obviously there's something in the way each of us use our phones that changes battery life radically.

Battery life seems OK (spare phone, so no massive use). Just the poxy WiFi not reconnecting that pees me off. Like stepping back to Eclair all over again.

Guest targetbsp

Yeah, I've never had any problem with any of the roms battery wise. I do keep my phones really lean though so maybe I just get lucky and ditch the battery drain on each rom! I uninstall tons of stuff that comes with each rom and set a lot of whats left behind so that it no longer loads in autostarts.

And yeah, I've had to resurrect Blade Wifi Fix which I'd managed to do away with in Froyo. In a fit of extreme optimism I tried replacing the wpa_supplicant file with the fix in the FLB R6 solutions thread. I don't recommend it lol. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Len Ash
Yeah, I've never had any problem with any of the roms battery wise. I do keep my phones really lean though so maybe I just get lucky and ditch the battery drain on each rom! I uninstall tons of stuff that comes with each rom and set a lot of whats left behind so that it no longer loads in autostarts.

And yeah, I've had to resurrect Blade Wifi Fix which I'd managed to do away with in Froyo. In a fit of extreme optimism I tried replacing the wpa_supplicant file with the fix in the FLB R6 solutions thread. I don't recommend it lol. :D

Yep - I tried replacing the entire WiFi folder with the one from JJ9, and various other "files". Without success. Clearly, WiFi is little understood by the team putting this together.

As another weird side of this, My Wifi works flawlessly. I've never had it stay connected so long, or connect so quickly in the first place.

There's so much disparity between devices. Perhaps there's subtle hardware differences?

Guest Len Ash
As another weird side of this, My Wifi works flawlessly. I've never had it stay connected so long, or connect so quickly in the first place.

There's so much disparity between devices. Perhaps there's subtle hardware differences?

Possibly. The ONLY custom ROMs where WiFi works flawlessly with ANY router at home, work or in a public place after ANY amount of sleep on BOTH TFT and OLED device (even after going out of range for hours with WiFi left on) are JJ9 and MCR R12. For me, all others are "not good". CM7 is particularly poor on the TFT device I use as a "test bed", whereas JJ9 and MCR12 on this device (and the older OLED) are spot-on.

Be interesting to gauge others' findings.

Edited by Len Ash

Yup no problems with WiFi here either. Connects fast and stays connected. I've never encountered the WiFi disconnection problem except on JJ. All other ROMs worked fine.

Yes and I too have thought that Probably there are more subtle hardware differences between the OLED/TFT devices than just what meets the eye (no pun intended) since some users are reporting pretty good battery life and some other differences.

Edited by css771