Windows 8 beta for tablet's coming september

Guest Anton2k

Guest warriorscot

If they go the ARM route its likely we might get it at some point so it really depends if they decide to ditch Intel as the only people they cater for processor wise when it comes to retail releases.

Guest ParanoidSPV
If they go the ARM route its likely we might get it at some point so it really depends if they decide to ditch Intel as the only people they cater for processor wise when it comes to retail releases.

Well it would not be a big deal if it was going retail route...

Windows Embedded Compact 7 (The new windows embedded build on the 7 core) do allready support arm, and windows mobile/pocketpc and phone do also support arm.

What makes the windows 8 nice is that you should get the full windows experience.

And i guess as it dont support that many SoC's from nvidia at the moment it will have the drivers just like m$ did with the windows phone 7... so what we will need are wifi, touchscreen, audio drivers....

But from the time when they did announce the support:

More specifically, Windows 8 will support ARM-based systems from NVIDIA, Qualcomm and Texas Instruments. The upcoming version of Windows is separate from the Windows Phone 7 OS, which already powers mobile phones utilizing the ARM architecture.

Guest JingleManSweep

Oooh, can't wait until I have to wait for a virus scan to finish when I wake my tablet up to check my Twitter updates.

Windows on my tablets... PASS!

Guest warriorscot

Well while the test beds for windows 8 supported ARM and Tegra 250 it might not when it goes to retail if they don't think it will make money. Intel and Microsoft have a close relationship its still possible that Intel will offer them something in order to not release for ARM as that would have a massive impact on sales for Intel.

Drivers shouldn't be that much of an issue if they release for ARM there aren't a huge range of different chipsets that are available and suitable so MS will create there own drivers for those chipsets for wireless and 3g. To be honest it should have better compatibility with the Vega than linux even though linux is already ARM compatible.