CM7 ext3 apps on partition help

Guest admanirv

Guest admanirv

Okay, so i have CM7.

There is a problem with moving apps to the SD with a force close, which isn't resolved yet.

But i cant understand how to properly setup in CW a partition and then move apps over to the partition in CM7 and setting up along the way.

I also dont understand if, after setting it all up and i can use my 16GB microSD as usually to copy over music etc?

Can anyone give me a quick guide?

Thanks

Edited by admanirv

Guest Rotmann

Format the card (Partition Wizard for Windows or gparted-Linux) as it goes:

1. first partition fat32 PRIMARY

2. second partition ext3 PRIMARY

Install s2e (simple2ext) from market, open it, set it up to install apps to ext3. Reboot. Have fun. Some apps get installed on the SD card (fat32) automatically, you have to move them back to the phone from Settings-Applications-Manage Applications, this only applies if the app does not start.

Guest admanirv

I have setup simple2ext.

how do i confirm this has worked and how do i move to the ext3 or is it down automatically?

DO i need to setup a linux swap?

Thanks

Edited by admanirv

I have setup simple2ext.

how do i confirm this has worked and how do i move to the ext3 or is it down automatically?

DO i need to setup a linux swap?

Thanks

The easiest way to check whether it's worked is probably to use Titanium Backup - at the bottom of it's main screen it shows memory available for internal and SD card. If you have the ext3 partition setup correctly, it also shows memory available for "SD Card (a2sd)". Obviously, if you have apps installed in this partition, it will show that some of the SD Card (a2sd) capacity is in use.

I'm running apps2sd with CM7 and I don't have a linux swap partition setup and my Blade is running great!

Hope this helps.

Guest admanirv

Its shows the correct info as you posted, how to i move apps to the ext3 partition? - i have setup simple2ext correctly.

I take it, the ext3 is used for applications the would normally only reside on phone memory?

thanks

Its shows the correct info as you posted, how to i move apps to the ext3 partition? - i have setup simple2ext correctly.

I take it, the ext3 is used for applications the would normally only reside on phone memory?

thanks

Yes, the phone is tricked into thinking that the ext3 partition is internal memory.

Therefore, any apps that are installed (or moved) to the phone's internal memory are actually moved to the ext3 partition.

Any apps which the phone reports as being installed on the SD card are using a secure area of the FAT partition.

FWIW, I've made sure that all my apps (approx. 160 of them!) are installed in "internal memory" (i.e. my ext3 partition)

and everything's working great.

Guest admanirv

Thanks, are there any setting in CM7 that i need to adjust or just leave it?

So under all in 'manage apps' when i move an app to phone memory internal storage should hover around the same value in my case 121mB?

Thanks

Thanks, are there any setting in CM7 that i need to adjust or just leave it?

So under all in 'manage apps' when i move an app to phone memory internal storage should hover around the same value in my case 121mB?

Thanks

Settings\CyanogenMod settings\Application\Install location - I have set this to "internal" so that any apps you install in the future should install to the ext3 partition.

Yes, the internal storage figure should stay around the same sort of value regardless of where the apps are installed.