Got myself a Defy bit confused

Guest Skillganon

Guest Skillganon

Got myself a Defy, bit confused with rooting it and installing custom rom. I previously owned a ZTE Blade unlocked and rooted. So I am no Stranger to custom rom although my brother initially rooted it for me as it was my first smart phone. Also the ZTE Blade subforum seems to be better organised than here. It's a popular handset and I didn't regret buying it. Now I got a DEFY and I absolutely love it, and you get the most robust smartphone out there. However bit dissapointed with the 2.1 Eclair rom as I was previously running Cynogen Mod 7 on the blade. Believe me you can tell the difference.

The phone is a T-mobile branded

System Version: Blur_Version.2.51.1.MB525,T-Mobile.en.GB

Firmware Version 2.1-update1

Few question:

Is it possible to root on the current firmware?

If yes, is there a 2.2 or a 2.3 rom out there that is safe to use? I heard the Chinese version of the rom kills your Camera Flash light.

Cheers

Edited by Skillganon

Guest Sorensiim

There are som great roms out there, check out ADLX mod:

http://modmymobile.com/forums/640-motorola...fy-v2-02-a.html

There's also Higgsy's take on the Defy:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=937319

My Defy is in for repairs atm (early build, dead speaker, the usual) but I just loaded ADLXmod to a friends Defy yesterday and it's pretty damn slick. Higgsy's is nice too and go check out the Gingerbread-themed one Jboogiebop does over at XDA :huh:

Guest onlinejobwork
Got myself a Defy, bit confused with rooting it and installing custom rom. I previously owned a ZTE Blade unlocked and rooted. So I am no Stranger to custom rom although my brother initially rooted it for me as it was my first smart phone. Also the ZTE Blade subforum seems to be better organised than here. It's a popular handset and I didn't regret buying it. Now I got a DEFY and I absolutely love it, and you get the most robust smartphone out there. However bit dissapointed with the 2.1 Eclair rom as I was previously running Cynogen Mod 7 on the blade. Believe me you can tell the difference.

The phone is a T-mobile branded

System Version: Blur_Version.2.51.1.MB525,T-Mobile.en.GB

Firmware Version 2.1-update1

Few question:

Is it possible to root on the current firmware?

If yes, is there a 2.2 or a 2.3 rom out there that is safe to use? I heard the Chinese version of the rom kills your Camera Flash light.

Cheers

Hi mate since log time I was looking to try Android as I heard so much about it and I was looking around cheap price but better spec handset around to try android so first I buy LG Optimus GT 540 its really good but only thing disappoint me is poor camera, not much memory for apps and resistive touch screen not good for text, I sold within a months and a half get good value (when I see I can got better handset for almost same price i.e Orange San Francisco) and I buy it, I loved it exactly as my iphone 3gs, the most top quality things is screen quality and am still using it. I buy Motorola DEFY in Contract with T-mobile but its Non branded no T-mobile Sign anywhere or any software inside it, I read many good review of it and I see the device personally instore and I fell in Love with it, when I compare my DEFY to Orange SF I found the my £ 79 SF beats £ 269 DEFY with Screen quality but I found by the forum here as u mention SF forum is much more in detail so many users, more topics, more custom roms and many option and software rom avalilable to root, unlock, themes etc. but I am very disappoint when I see forum for DEFY is not much in detail and popular like SF, that means orange SF sells more than Motorola DEFY? is that anywhere I can find selling information about DEFY vs SF?

Well I am also much confused about rooting and custom rom about DEFY as I almost tried at least 10-15 different custom rom without a single hiccup or problem to my SF its accept any custom rom like a charm and that's the one I like most about SF, but when see the speed, performances and built quality DEFY I never regret that I buy DEFY I am still using DEFY and SF but I can sell my SF with sad heart as I love its screen more than DEFY

at the moment I am also looking forward to ROOT and Custom 2.2 ROM for my DEFY but I don’t want to mesh up my phone with premature or too much experimental ROM as happened with few people mention here, I will wait for official 2.2 update from Motorola as announced for Q2 officially and see what improvement they bring, I can do experiment with my Orange SF without any hassle as I am much confidant with the SF and its forum

My device info is below:

System Version: Blur_Version.2.51.1.MB525,Retail.en.GB

Firmware Version: 2.1-update1

Baseband Version:EPU93ST2_U_03.0A.01

Kernal Version: 2.6.29

Build Number: JRDNEM_U3_2.51.1

APflex Version:GAS_EMEA_USAJORDANRTGB_P035

let me know if you find some exiting like software, themes, widgets or anything for DEFY

Thanks

Urvish

Edited by onlinejobwork