CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest timsewell

Not wishing to sound thick, but how do I uninstall ROM Manager? There's no option to do so under Settings > Applications > ROM Manager.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Not wishing to sound thick, but how do I uninstall ROM Manager? There's no option to do so under Settings > Applications > ROM Manager.

Simply remove /system/app/RomManager.apk from the zip before you update.

Edited by alex1alex2alex3alex4

If it is on phone already, removing it from zip makes no sense.

Updates would not install it, but it would be on the phone already.

Edited by Quu

Guest Lew247
Installed RC2 last night battery lost 20% in 8 hrs this was on normal standby not aeroplane.

Battery usually loses around 30% on previous nightlies.

It's getting better, I'm still using flb-r10b and I get on average 12% drain over 8 hrs

once it reaches near rate I'll try this rom again

Guest gat2011
If it is on phone already, removing it from zip makes no sense.

Updates would not install it, but it would be on the phone already.

it won't be on the phone if you removed it from the zip, and you've wiped/reset phone, then installed said zip

it won't be on the phone if you removed it from the zip, and you've wiped/reset phone, then installed said zip

That's what I did, it doesn't even require a full wipe / reset.

Remove from zip, reinstall ... done, RMOManager gone.

But that is complete reinstall, not update.

Guest metzench
One typo-fix in kernel should not do anything to battery life, its just some "name" wrong there, nothing important.

You sure? Recompiled my kernel and it makes a difference. Did you even try it?

Guest MrHicks
TouchScreen freezes might be caused by overclocking (also, random reboots most likely are caused by OC'ing)

I get regular touchscreen freezes and my device has never been overclocked.

But that is complete reinstall, not update.

It works even on an update, remove from the zip you already installed,

wipe cache / dalvik cache and reinstall, that'll do the trick.

Guest Frankish
You sure? Recompiled my kernel and it makes a difference. Did you even try it?

I imagine it would make a difference if something running is polling/checking for that certain string and not finding it. Once corrected it seems better for me too maybe as once it checks and finds it the job is done?

Or it's all just a placebo effect.

Guest Frankish
It works even on an update, remove from the zip you already installed,

wipe cache / dalvik cache and reinstall, that'll do the trick.

True because the update script wipes system but not data. :(

Can anybody comment on whether or not the latest RC2 is suitable for mainstream, day-to-day use?

Depends on your usage. The proximity is the worst issue. Trying to ring registry and other things related to my new baby girl and everything is automated...please press one for bla blah... Damn screen wont come back on for me to use dial pad. Annoying :(

Edited by Frankish

Guest Peter H
Can anybody comment on whether or not the latest RC2 is suitable for mainstream, day-to-day use?

see post 43 above.

Edited by Peter H

Guest Hurders

I don't think removing ROM manager has any bearing on reducing battery drain. I removed the .apk from the zip before flashing RC" last night and still lost 17% in 7 hours on standby. Going to try the boot.img fix.

Proximity bug is biggest concern for me right now. Phone is useable with fast-ish draining battery, phone isn't really useable with proximity bug, a fix for both would be lovely!

Guest Ralph Martin

Quick question - I saw it mentioned in some posts for the RC1 thread, WiFi tethering did not work. The first post of this thread neither lists it as fixed, nor as a known bug, and the bug tracker does not seem to mention it either. Was it a false alarm? Can anyone confirm either way its status in RC2?

Edited by Ralph Martin

Guest droweed

i've ready somewhere on previous CM thread about dewonkificator, an app from xda, it fixes phone from not waking up from call... works for me, never had any problem since, cept for battery drain, which is seem fixed for me too, using the custom boog.img, checked awhile ago, 2 hours standby from 45% and 0% drop :(, if someone else could confirm it that'd be nice

Edited by droweed

Has anyone tried a flash over N14 as i really cant be bothered to start again with installing every thing lol.

Sure, that's a no-brainer.

Proximity bug is biggest concern for me right now. Phone is useable with fast-ish draining battery, phone isn't really useable with proximity bug, a fix for both would be lovely!

As always - it depends. ymmv.

I'm using a BT headset and thus the proximity bug never was an issue for me.

Guest Rotmann
TouchScreen freezes might be caused by overclocking (also, random reboots most likely are caused by OC'ing)

Absolutely not, no OC here.

Was the spelling fix implimented in RC2? I take it by fixed you mean, better battery life?

Not yet, it will probably be implemented in the next nightly.

I don't know. All previous Nightlies have come with Gapps preinstalled. Does the RC2 do that as well?

Yes, better battery life ;) I only lost 6% over night, as oposed to about 25% beforehand. It does it's job.

I installed all nightlies fresh, RC2 too no gapps were included. It was always necessary to flash the gapps.zip too. Other then that, great news with the new boot.img, I hope it will get merged in the newest nightly and that there is no placebo effect again :( as it was with the other tweaks.

Regarding battery life, pure RC2 without SIM in it, no gapps, apps or mods, removed ROM manager before flashing (wiped, formatted and so on), 14 hours 100 => 77% :( The first six hours were not in airplane mode, but WiFi, GPS and other wireless stuff were disabled, after the six hours I have put it in airplane mode, still drained like hell. Cell stand-by is 94%, phone slept as a baby and had no partial wakes. :) Did a logcat -v time, gonna post it on the issue tracker. I am gonna try the new boot.img

Edited by Rotmann

Guest fredewis
Quick question - I saw it mentioned in some posts for the RC1 thread, WiFi tethering did not work. The first post of this thread neither lists it as fixed, nor as a known bug, and the bug tracker does not seem to mention it either. Was it a false alarm? Can anyone confirm either way its status in RC2?

its an eassy fix witch is not included can it be added to first page all you have to do is

How you get wifi-tethering (mobile hotspot) on CM7 ...

1.) You need the "hostapd"-binary from any 2.2-rom (for the zte blade) - it's located in /system/bin (extract it from a update-zip-file).

2.) Now copy the hostapd-binary to /system/bin

CODE

adb remount

adb push hostapd /system/bin/.

adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/hostapd

3.) Install wifi/wireless-tether from the google-code page - I recommend the latest experimental version (version 3):

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

This version comes with/supports a toggle-widget, infrastructure/master-mode, wpa-encryption, access-control ... and other useful stuff like mss clamping ...

IT'S NOT AD-HOC!

CODE

adb install wifi_tether_v3_0-pre5.apk

I'm sure it will be integrated into CM7 soon ... but in the meantime ...

Happy Tethering!

(it is not my guide some one previously posted no credit for me fredewis)

or in my case (personal way by fredewis)

Take the hostapd from a 2.2 ROM (flb).

Use root explorer or any equivalent.

copy and paste the file to system/bin

then reboot and install the wifi tether apk from the link above.

done.