CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest gat2011

i wiped and installed n21 but without the gapps zip. forgot. doh. but went to set things up as with previous installs and there was no difference. still had to download apps etc and everything got installed as normal...... account worked fine.

n21 nice. proximity only works with the tick tho.

Guest Scoopading
It's not a cm7 thing. It's a gingerbread thing. The signal bars turn green whenever the phone is connected to Google's servers.

Yep, but if I wanted a stock Google experience I'd seek out a phone which delivered Gingerbread in that way. I think it's fairly obnoxious behaviour to force colour changes in the UI just because you aren't connected to a companies services! Can you imagine if Microsoft changed the colour of their task bar if you weren't logged on to Microsoft? :D This seems like one of those things which would be ideal for Cyanogen to give people control over? Personally I don't think it's appropriate that google controls the colour of my status bar just because I'm not connected to them!

Guest Frankish
Yep, but if I wanted a stock Google experience I'd seek out a phone which delivered Gingerbread in that way. I think it's fairly obnoxious behaviour to force colour changes in the UI just because you aren't connected to a companies services! Can you imagine if Microsoft changed the colour of their task bar if you weren't logged on to Microsoft? :( This seems like one of those things which would be ideal for Cyanogen to give people control over? Personally I don't think it's appropriate that google controls the colour of my status bar just because I'm not connected to them!

:D

Bit of a mountain out of a molehill don't you think. I think it's handy.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
:D

Agreed, those with privacy concerns at least know when google taps (or looks over) their shoulder ...

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
This is 21 Nightly need to install the fix bluetooth and battery for bluetooth function?

Thanks

No, all of these fixes have been incorporated, no extra stuff needs to be installed with N21.

Guest AP707

Proximity not working for me even with the tick :x Any tips on a fix? I was on a call and when the person hung up my phone totally black screened, had to take the battery out in order for it to restart.

Guest Scoopading

Well, I hardly said it's going to stop me using CM7 :D But, at least for CM, I think it'd be highly appropriate to give people the option, no? It also helps with user experience consistency. I bet there's quite a few people who've installed a theme, which promised a certain colour of status bar, and they can't figure out why it won't show the correct colour - not realizing it's because they have background data disabled.

Although it might be a "mountain out of a molehill" if Microsoft enforced such a thing on their Windows desktop there would be uproar. Why should Google be held to a different standard on a phone OS?

Also, I don't think some people realize that, by installing the Google Market and allowing background data, they effectively pass over full control of the phone to Google when doing that. Whilst that might have some advantages, such as a week or two ago when Google deployed a malware removal kit for people who'd downloaded rogue apps from the market, it should still give anyone with any common sense pause for thought. Even though that's not to say everyone should run around screaming and expecting Google to use such features for nefarious purposes, I still think there should be a way to disconnect from their services without having any noticeable impact on the phone. And, whilst the change in status bar colour might be a "molehill" and of no real impact, it's still something which is certainly noticeable.. and I like my coloured wifi indicator :( :D As I said, no need to remove it, but a choice would be nice :(

Edited by Scoopading

Guest samjam
Proximity not working for me even with the tick :x Any tips on a fix? I was on a call and when the person hung up my phone totally black screened, had to take the battery out in order for it to restart.

true.

Another way out is to call yourself (yeah, from another phone) and don't answer - the screen will come back when you hang-up from the other phone.

I ticked to use the proximity sensor in calls and then rebooted, and then it was fine - if the other guy hungup while proximity was on, I got my scren back when I took the phone away from my face,

Guest Frankish
Well, I hardly said it's going to stop me using CM7 :D But, at least for CM, I think it'd be highly appropriate to give people the option, no? It also helps with user experience consistency. I bet there's quite a few people who've installed a theme, which promised a certain colour of status bar, and they can't figure out why it won't show the correct colour - not realizing it's because they have background data disabled.

Although it might be a "mountain out of a molehill" if Microsoft enforced such a thing on their Windows desktop there would be uproar. Why should Google be held to a different standard on a phone OS?

Also, I don't think some people realize that, by installing the Google Market and allowing background data, they effectively pass over full control of the phone to Google when doing that. Whilst that might have some advantages, such as a week or two ago when Google deployed a malware removal kit for people who'd downloaded rogue apps from the market, it should still give anyone with any common sense pause for thought. Even though that's not to say everyone should run around screaming and expecting Google to use such features for nefarious purposes, I still think there should be a way to disconnect from their services without having any noticeable impact on the phone. And, whilst the change in status bar colour might be a "molehill" and of no real impact, it's still something which is certainly noticeable.. and I like my coloured wifi indicator :( :D As I said, no need to remove it, but a choice would be nice :(

It would be nice I suppose to choose. That or just replace the grey images with the green ones in the theme or in framework and systemui.apk. :-)

Guest shaksbeer
Are those reboots common to everybody or are those rather isolated usecases?

... starting using it since RC2=>N18=>N21.

no reboots for me so far. (made calls, surfed the web, played games, email, ...)

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
what day is it today ??? :D

RESULT ! :( :( :D

Wednesday... shame we had n19 on Monday, which I would say was the milestone.

I think its isolated, but getting worse. Still far more people with it working

Guest Scoopading

Are you overclocking the CPU?

Does it only happen when you plug the USB cable/charger in?

If you have performed a full system wipe from ClockworkMod before installing, and can answer "no" to both questions then I wouldn't say it's common to everyone..

Guest pellen

Dunno. I came from RC2 -> N21 with wipe of cache and dalvik only. Had three shutdowns (it doesnt restart) till now

I updated from n19 to n21. Wiped both caches but did not do a full wipe & restore factory settings.

Then had constant screen freezes and reboots.

Went back did a full factory reset and wiped everything and n21 has been stable.

I really think that you need to start with a clean slate when flashing roms to be sure

Guest ambak
I updated from n19 to n21. Wiped both caches but did not do a full wipe & restore factory settings.

Then had constant screen freezes and reboots.

Went back did a full factory reset and wiped everything and n21 has been stable.

I really think that you need to start with a clean slate when flashing roms to be sure

+1