VintageVega

Guest newbe5

Guest newbe5

I'm going to keep this as short as possible otherwise it's going to swiftly turn into a wall of text, but here is a brief outline of that I was going for :(

I wanted a completely "unique" look for my Vega. I've tried basically every launcher/home screen available, and none of them felt right. Honeycomb is in the wild, but until that makes it's way to the Vega in a fast and stable form I wanted something that I enjoyed using day-to-day. So, here is VintageVega:

VV-Stamp.jpg

This is an original pack created by me, containing 28 "Objects" and 3 Wallpapers (with a shelf to place some of the objects on) for now. I'm sure that I will add more later. Further down this post you will also find ALL of the PSD files I used to create all of the objects and wallpapers. So if you have Photoshop or GIMP you can edit these yourself to your own liking. You will be able to achieve this entire set up using entirely free applications available on the Android Market, and you will need NO knowledge of advanced tools (such as ADB from the Android SDK). this can all be done directly from your Vega.

To set up VintageVega, you will need the following apps:

ADW.Launcher (I am using ADWLauncher EX but normal ADW should be fine.

Set up your launcher Auto-Stretch icons, and set the grid to 6 Columns and 6 Rows (columns is flexible, but you will probably have to keep the rows at 6 for the shelf). Also I would fix the launcher orientation ot Landscape (VintageVega ONLY works in landscape mode!).

A nice clock widget! I use (and paid for) ShotClocks but you could easily use the free Big Ben Clock or many alternatives on the Market.

SiMi Folder Widget for creating lovely categorized folders on the desktop.

Desktop VisualizeR to place all of the objects in onto your screen :(

Here are some images of how I have set up my Vega using the VintageVega pack:

This is an EXAMPLE, you can set up VintageVega in any way you like!

Screen1.jpg

Home screen:

Lightswitch on the right opens the app drawer (accross all screens).

clock is a ShotClocks widget.

Portrait on the left (of me and my daughter :)) opens the Gallery app.

Cash Register under the portrait opens the Android Market.

Globe opens the browser (Miren Browser for me).

Calendar under the clock opens the Calendar App.

Scrapbook (with stamps) opens the Social Networking SiMi Folder widget (more on that later).

Toolbox opens the Settings menu.

Stack of letters on the shelf opens the Email app.

Screen2.jpg

Office Screen:

The World Map opens Google Maps Application.

Books along the shelf opens Aldiko (but could easily open Kindle App or a SiMi Folder widget with multiple choices).

Newspaper rack opens news reader app (Pulse in my case).

Phone opens Skype.

Screen3.jpg

Entertainment Screen:

Film Projector screen opens SiMi Folder containing BBC iPlayer and YouTube apps.

The 3 portraits along the top open: Angry Birds - Seasons | Angry Birds | Dungeon Defenders (The PST to create your own framed image is linked in the PST pack at the bottom of this post).

The Radio on the bottom right opens the Music App (but again, this could open another SiMi Folder).

The Games along the bottom left open a SiMi folder containing a list of my games, here is an example of how a SiMi Folder set up in this way looks:

SimiFolder.jpg

Please note, ALL screen shots above have been lowered in quality to make them smaller files, the images are actually MUCH higher resolution than this.

To set up a SiMi Folder Widget:

Open the app Drawer and select SiMi Folder.

Select "Add Folder".

Choose a folder name, and set the folder type to "Apps", then click Save.

Select your newly created folder, and tap on "Applications" on the right.

Add all of your desired applications to the folder.

Click Save, and then exit.

All done!

To add an object to your home screen:

Copy all of the objects images in a folder to your memory card.

Long-press on a blank area of the screen and choose "Widgets" to add a widget.

Select one of the "Desktop VisualizeR" (from now on I will refer to this as DTV) sized widgets (selecting 4x4 gives the best image quality, then you can re-size the widget to the correct size afterwards.

Tap on the newly created DTV widget to open the DTV menu and start configuring your object.

For Icon, select one of the VintageVega Object images from the gallery (or whatever app you chose).

For Action, you can either select "Launch Application" to select a single application, or "Other" to choose a SiMi Folder that you have already set up.

Once you have selected an action, clear the Label field so it is blank.

Change the "Touch Effect" from Orange to "None".

Click OK!

That's it! It seems like a long process, but once you are used to it, you will be adding and moving objects to your hearts desire ;)

And so, without ANY further waffling... Here are the files ;)

VV-Stamp.jpg

Download the VintageVega Object Pack.

VV-WallpaperPack-Stamp.jpg

Download the VintageVega Wallpaper Pack.

PST files for those that wish to create their own framed images (or those who are just curious).

Wallpaper PST (Caution, 30mb File!) - High resolution PST file (with shelf) for you to create your own VintageVega wallpapers.

Objects PST - Source files for ALL of the objects included in VintageVega (incase you want to modify any of them yourself). NOTE: The social Icons pack included here was not created by me, it was created by Dawghouse and are free to use.

PLEASE do not repost these as your own work, but feel free to modify and enjoy this as you wish. Please let me know of any problems! And soon I will hopefully post some YouTube vids of this in action and some easy to follow tutorials on YouTube (for those of you who can't follow the written instructions :D).

Enjoy!

newbe5

Edited by newbe5

Guest newbe5

Here's something I forgot to mention originally that might interest some people.

I specifically designed the wallpaper/shelf on VintageVega to match up with standard Icon sets, such as iDroid so you can actually have those icons sat on the shelf if you wish, and it doesn't look bad to boot :(

Example:

Vintage-iDroid.jpg

So if you find that there are objects missing from the pack that you would like, you can always use an icon instead :(

Add icons in the same way as normal with DTV.

Edited by newbe5

Guest zzleezz

This is superb! Really hope you win a prize for this mate.

Going to apply this to my Vega now :(

*edit*

Am I being dense? I cant see a VintageVega link on your post? Can see source stuff at the bottom, is that it?

Edited by zzleezz

Guest newbe5
This is superb! Really hope you win a prize for this mate.

Going to apply this to my Vega now :(

*edit*

Am I being dense? I cant see a VintageVega link on your post? Can see source stuff at the bottom, is that it?

The two images at the bottom are links! I was worried that might not be obvious, ill add some text links too :(

Guest zzleezz
The two images at the bottom are links! I was worried that might not be obvious, ill add some text links too :(

Aha! I checked the pics at the top but gave up by the time I got to the bottom. As an "end user" maybe a traditional link at the top of the page was what I was expecting :(

Thanks again, will post my thoughts later when I get some time to do this.

Guest newbe5
Aha! I checked the pics at the top but gave up by the time I got to the bottom. As an "end user" maybe a traditional link at the top of the page was what I was expecting :(

Thanks again, will post my thoughts later when I get some time to do this.

There we go, added some more traditional hyper-links under the clickable images at the bottom :(

I put links at the bottom rather than the top to make sure people read the information/tutorial before downloading, rather than just blindly downloading then posting questions that were answered in the original post :)

Hope everything goes well!

newbe5

Guest zzleezz
There we go, added some more traditional hyper-links under the clickable images at the bottom :(

I put links at the bottom rather than the top to make sure people read the information/tutorial before downloading, rather than just blindly downloading then posting questions that were answered in the original post :)

Hope everything goes well!

newbe5

Nice one :(

Having some problems with desktop visualizer. Try to set it up as per your instructions but get the message "failed to create widget". Can't see anything in adw ex settings that I'm missing.

Guest Chris Blanc

Sorry for adding my denseness lol, but i seem to be able to do everything other than place them where I want on the screen. I don't seem to be able to line anything up with the shelf properly, any ideas? Thanks

Guest newbe5
Sorry for adding my denseness lol, but i seem to be able to do everything other than place them where I want on the screen. I don't seem to be able to line anything up with the shelf properly, any ideas? Thanks

Are you using the Vega with "Small Notification Bar" or "Big Bar"? I have only tested this with the small bar right now, so it might not line up quite right if you are using the big bar, I'll look into this soon and create alternate wallpapers if this is the case.

Hopefully I will have some tutorial YouTube vids up later today to help those who are stuck.

Edited by newbe5

Guest zzleezz

Seems my problem was related to my Vega setup, went back to 1.09 with r8 and all seems to work fine. Need a while to sit down and play with this now :(

Guest newbe5
Seems my problem was related to my Vega setup, went back to 1.09 with r8 and all seems to work fine. Need a while to sit down and play with this now :(

Glad you got it sorted! Post some screenshots when you have got it all set up! (Drocap is good for this if you don't have the Android SDK installed on your PC).

Also, if you find that the object pack is lacking something, let me know and I will look at making some new objects as as soon as I get time. All suggestions are welcome!

newbe5

Guest newbe5
Long pictures (books, games/toys etc) not works with desktop visualizer. :D

Works if DV widget 4x1

I'm not sure I follow im afraid? Have you got this working?

I'm not sure I follow im afraid? Have you got this working?

Yes! to long pictures i select 4x1 widget size and it works!

Sorry for my english :D

Guest newbe5
Yes! to long pictures i select 4x1 widget size and it works!

Sorry for my english :D

Not a problem! I am glad you have got it working! Can you post some screenshots to show me how you have set it up once you have finished? I'd love to see it! :(

Guest newbe5

Here's something I forgot to mention originally that might interest some people.

I specifically designed the wallpaper/shelf on VintageVega to match up with standard Icon sets, such as iDroid so you can actually have those icons sat on the shelf if you wish, and it doesn't look bad to boot :D

Example:

Vintage-iDroid.jpg

So if you find that there are objects missing from the pack that you would like, you can always use an icon instead :(

newbe5

• 2 weeks later...
Guest skymera

That is awesome!

Something totally different that will make people look twice!

It's like having your gran's living room in your pocket.

Original, attractive and cool. Well done.

Edited by skymera

• 1 month later...
Guest pembi

I specifically designed the wallpaper/shelf on VintageVega to match up with standard Icon sets, such as iDroid so you can actually have those icons sat on the shelf if you wish, and it doesn't look bad to boot :P

Example:

Vintage-iDroid.jpg

So if you find that there are objects missing from the pack that you would like, you can always use an icon instead :rolleyes:

Guest newbe5
can u please tell me how to get these wallpapers on to advent vega thank in advance cheers

:P

Just extract the wallpapers Zip and transfer the images to the SD card in your Vega, then set them in the normal way through gallery :rolleyes:

newbe5

Guest pembi
Just extract the wallpapers Zip and transfer the images to the SD card in your Vega, then set them in the normal way through gallery :D

newbe5

How do u create framed images through vega or pc thanks for the info

Guest pembi
Just extract the wallpapers Zip and transfer the images to the SD card in your Vega, then set them in the normal way through gallery :D

newbe5

How do u create framed images through vega or pc thanks for the info