Broke my Vega...

Guest removed-14

Guest removed-14
As an owner and user of both I can tell you the following:

* Browsing on the Vega with dolphin hd and lastpass is unbeatable.

* You'll love the ipad screen it's so much better.

* The app quality is mainly looks, but comes at a hell of a price to your wallet.

* Cases can be awesome the iMage gets my recommendation its awesome.

Good luck in iWorld mate!

Cheers for that. I'm surprised you think the browsing is better using Dolphin HD than Safari on iPad? Do you mean just for things like the interface etc? I'm talking about the rendering of web pages and functionality. Android needs Chrome, if it did have then I'd be reconsidering my order. Web browsing will be 60 - 80% of what I'll use the iPad for.

Guest Lennyuk
Cheers for that. I'm surprised you think the browsing is better using Dolphin HD than Safari on iPad? Do you mean just for things like the interface etc? I'm talking about the rendering of web pages and functionality. Android needs Chrome, if it did have then I'd be reconsidering my order. Web browsing will be 60 - 80% of what I'll use the iPad for.

I have used both an ipad and obviously the vega, although my ipad use is limited I see no difference in web experience via Miren Browser on Vega and Safari on ipad.

Infact on the new Buzz Kernel I might even go as far as to say browsing is better on the vega, scrolling so smooth, zoom smooth and web loading is fast and accurate (as UI is set to Chrome).

I am curious to know what browser you used on the vega before it died? Was it just stock?

Guest removed-14
Infact on the new Buzz Kernel I might even go as far as to say browsing is better on the vega, scrolling so smooth, zoom smooth and web loading is fast and accurate (as UI is set to Chrome).

I am curious to know what browser you used on the vega before it died? Was it just stock?

I used Dolphin HD. Rendering of some websites is poor. Links needed to be pressed several times in some cases.

Guest scooby_d0o
not sure about the iplayer app, however I heard talk about it on Radio 1 this morning and apparently its really limited and hardly plays anything as bbc are refusing to optimise most content away from flash.

the app works perfectly (and before the app you could watch iplayer through a safari browser (still can infact) the app and the web page iplaye ha nexactly the same content

Guest scooby_d0o
jailbreak on the ipad is a breeze and well worth it - you will not regret buying your ipad...

i second this and it unleashes the ipad power, im a fairly new owner of a vega, but had my ipad for ages, i like both for different reasons, but you wont be disapointed with the ipad!

Guest scooby_d0o
I disagree. I certainly wouldn't buy an iPad. Price wasn't the factor that stopped me. Prime reason is the draconian restrictions such as no SD card and in particular their application marketing/development policy (even worse now re: IOS apps) but most of all the fact that you can't do anything without going via the PC. Hardly portable in my mind. Whilst I fully agree the iPad is a superb device in terms of build quality, reliability and indeed user experience, the day of the Droid cometh - and this year at that I suspect.

But hey, that's just my view! :D

fully agree with you ref the apps policy - id have to say this is only relavent on an unjail broken device, once an ipad is jailbroken and you can download an install apps from developers that cant get stuff onto the app store, the really usefulness is unleashed, a jailbroken ipad is a diff device to a bog standard. but each to their own n all that :(

Guest scooby_d0o

one last thing, there is an app called oplayer hd, its similar to vlc in the sense it plays all media types, ie avi, mp4, wmv etc, no need to convert (unless you want to change the aspect ratio) files are easily dropped into the my docs folder of oplayer using itunes - a 2min process

Guest newbe5
I used Dolphin HD. Rendering of some websites is poor. Links needed to be pressed several times in some cases.

I never liked Dolphin HD, I switched to Miren and have never looked back. It's blindingly fast.

Guest Lennyuk
I never liked Dolphin HD, I switched to Miren and have never looked back. It's blindingly fast.

Likewise, Dolphin HD was causing issues for me on my mobile a while back, not displaying pages properly, links not working, generally slow... then along came Miren and has been driving the net on my mobile and vega ever since.

Guest dave65

well i've also now bought a ipad i've returned my vega i really can't live with the screen i think the viewing angles are unacceptable for a hand held device ,i know the ipad has it's limitations and i've always wanted to dislike apple products but the fact is it just works really well and the screen is fantastic.

jailbreaking a ipad is real simple much easier i found than installing a custom rom on the vega, iplayer works no problem and i haven't found a problem with the lack of flash.

i'm not knocking the vega it's great for the money but for me i would rather have a better screen and cut corners elsewhere :D

Guest monkeyhp
well i've also now bought a ipad i've returned my vega i really can't live with the screen i think the viewing angles are unacceptable for a hand held device ,i know the ipad has it's limitations and i've always wanted to dislike apple products but the fact is it just works really well and the screen is fantastic.

jailbreaking a ipad is real simple much easier i found than installing a custom rom on the vega, iplayer works no problem and i haven't found a problem with the lack of flash.

i'm not knocking the vega it's great for the money but for me i would rather have a better screen and cut corners elsewhere :D

Just to add to this, I bought my vega 3 weeks ago put the custom rom on and it was sexy, but after a couple of days the screen was a killer for me. Lying in bed you had to hold the thing horizontal otherwise you couldnt see anything. Same for on the sofa as soon as you tilt 5 degrees the screen goes.

Took it back to currys for a full refund, considering the ipad but love android and the widgets so considering holding out for the Samsung 10.1 but its gonna be pricey.

Guest Qwertymon

an ipad would have to be usable without itunes for me, and frankly I enjoy not being part of the "apple" crowd, apple deists drive me up the wall at work, I admit im "a pc" but the shear arrogance, lack of knowledge and blindfaith that most apple owners have is utterly unbelievable. Id adore to argue with them, but my job aint worth winning a argument with a mac wanker :D (I hate to generalise, but its the truth, recently I had had to set up a bootcamped windows onto a mac and the only way I can think of describing the man without being too mean is unpleasant, again, my manager is a mac owner and is pretty down to earth... one in a hundred :()

How ever, after owning my vega for 3/4 months now, I wouldn't justify buying a xoom or a notion adam ink (what I looked at prior to the vega), its just such good value for money and does everything I need a tablet to do (which is pretty much everything my pc does baring high end gaming and office work)

Guest removed-14

For those who have suggested Miren browser, I downloaded it on my Desire last night as a test. And while it seems to be quicker to use it does use the same rendering engine as the built in browser (just like Dolphin) so has the same issues with the same website. Opera and Firefox appear to be the only browsers that come with their own rendering engine.

Guest removed-14

I'm quite tempted to try and fix my Vega, just for fun. Might be worth more working... Can anyone confirm the screen type used? The G Tab uses an AU B101AW06 1024x600 netbook screen. Is the G Tab exactly the same as the Vega? Is that the correct screen?

Guest dagrim1
For those who have suggested Miren browser, I downloaded it on my Desire last night as a test. And while it seems to be quicker to use it does use the same rendering engine as the built in browser (just like Dolphin) so has the same issues with the same website. Opera and Firefox appear to be the only browsers that come with their own rendering engine.

Sure hope so, I ordered an LG replacement screen based on the same thread without thinking about the possible differences woth the Vega :D

Will have to wait and see (it's not in yet).

Guest removed-14
Sure hope so, I ordered an LG replacement screen based on the same thread without thinking about the possible differences woth the Vega :D

Will have to wait and see (it's not in yet).

You'll have to keep me updated. Did you get it from eBay? Which model exactly did you go for?

Guest zzleezz

I'm sure there was someone around here that was looking into replacing their screen with a higher Res/quality one.

Tony, which websites did you have problems with? I've used various browsers with no particular problems, stuck with stock browser mainly due to laziness.

Guest removed-14

@zzleezz

One in particular was www.thesixthaxis.com - I could not post in the forum. Firefox worked but nothing that used the internal rendering engine.

Guest zzleezz
@zzleezz

One in particular was www.thesixthaxis.com - I could not post in the forum. Firefox worked but nothing that used the internal rendering engine.

Can't see anywhere to register on that site so can't try it. Trouble you for another?

Guest removed-14
Can't see anywhere to register on that site so can't try it. Trouble you for another?

It's a wordpress based site so I assume it uses some kind of wordpress forum too? Maybe another wordpress site might do the same?

I couldn't post on my Vega or using my HTC Desire.

Guest steddy
Hold on, I am not an apple fan at all. However, if you jailbreak the ipad you can get flash on it, multitasking and also dont have to use Itunes. Isnt that right ?

If this is the case, then its a very interesting purchase. I have also heard that you can run honeycomb on ipad 2. Know your enemy.

As a developer, I have both the iPad and the Vega. I always laugh when I hear the iTunes statement.

The only times iTunes is completely required is when first activating the device, and you can get them to do that in store for you. After that it never needs connecting to a PC again if you so wish. You can configure the iPad for disk mode in iTunes, then use any app that supports it to manage your music. If you want to go legit, you can use one of the many streaming apps for iPad, like Spotify or even buy your music direct from the on device iTunes app direct from the iTunes store. Same goes for TV series, Movies, Books, Games and Apps.

As an impartial user who has both devices (and the same for phones too) the iPad has much better usability than the Vega and would be my recommendation every time if it is within reach price wise. The touch responsiveness is fantastic and isn't matched by any other device i've tried. Emails and web pages always scale perfectly to fit the screen size no matter the orientation and zooming is silky smooth. Double tapping a paragraph or element always perfectly zooms to that object and the quality of the games on iPad are fantastic.

In comparison I find the vega screen washed out, frequently doesn't register touches or double presses, constantly scales pages incorrectly or doesn't go to where I want when I double click and I have the latest custom ROM installed. So hoping Honeycomb makes it a better experience when it finally arrives. Also I find the battery life poor and yes I have applied the battery fix.

I also find it funny how people complain about the walled garden as a reason for going elsewhere. Yet they then install a custom ROM on their Android device. You can jail break all iOS devices and if you do, then you can put Flash on and install software from any source. How is that any different than a custom ROM?

Also the walled garden is a benefit to 90% of users. I know I'm not going to download something off the app store that is going to steal my data or impact the performance or battery life of my device. I can't get viruses because Apple are checking all that for me. I don't have to read some complex manifest and list of API calls each time I go to download an app. What the heck does that mean to you average man in the street?

Finally as a dev in my experience there is very little money to be made in the Android market place. Users either rip off the app or download the trial, play it then never buy it. Ads work for some of the big names, but are not enough to generate revenue for most. For this reason the quality of apps will not be the same until Google find a way to address this.

Rant over :D

Guest steddy

Actually, what is the return policy and window for the Vega from Currys? ** Scratch that - 21 days, now on day 20 **

I would actually like to return it and order the Xoom which I am sure will be a much better device.

How can I restore the original stock ROM (or download it). Or do I not need to? Will they check it?

Thanks

Edited by steddy

Guest dagrim1
You do realise that is a different resolution than that of the Vega's default screen?

I do, but read reports on the gtab thread that it worked fine (but was stretched or something) and was hoping something might be possible when the sourcecode of honeycomb etc is available.

It is also mainly just for messing around and seeing if it's at all possible. The current screen is ok for me, this was a decent screen with the proper specs for a nice price which is why I went for it.

Edited by dagrim1