Is Blade/SF too slow for CM7?

Guest sej7278

Guest sej7278

I've just seen a review of the ZTE Skate on the inq: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review...one-impressions

And it says that the 800MHz CPU is a bit slow for running Android 2.3, now is that just clueless Inq reviewers, or is it the build on the Skate is a bit bloated?

I'm just worried that the 600MHz Blade is not fast enough for CM7 - how does it feel to anyone who has tried it?

I did notice in the CM7 bugtracker that there is a sluggish touchscreen/swipe issue in RC2, which sounds like the problem described on the Skate in the Inq review.

I'm planning on upgrading from my current Froyo install to CM7 when its released, but if its going to be slower I don't think I can.

Are all Gingerbread phones 1GHz?

Just noticed CNET seems to think 800MHz is too slow too: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/zt...eview-50002729/

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp

For starters it's far faster at apps than Froyo so games run much better and Swype is just amazing to use.

Some launchers struggle so you just need to make sure you're using a launcher it likes. ADW.Ex is incredibly smooth. People rate Gingerbread Launcher if you want something free but I've never tried it.

Some people say menu's don't scroll smoothly but I think it's fine and even if it wasn't all the advantages would outweigh this one factor for me!

Touchscreen response is perfectly fine. What issue are you referring to? The 'touchscreen freezing randomly' issue is a rarely occurring complete freeze. You have to power the screen off and on. It's not that the screen lags behind you if that's what you were thinking?

Edited by targetbsp

Guest rayraven
Some launchers struggle so you just need to make sure you're using a launcher it likes.

Or ones that are optimized for 2.3 .

Launcher Pro is supposed to get an update to support 2.3 soon.

Guest sej7278
Touchscreen response is perfectly fine. What issue are you referring to? The 'touchscreen freezing randomly' issue is a rarely occurring complete freeze. You have to power the screen off and on. It's not that the screen lags behind you if that's what you were thinking?

that might have been the issue i was thinking of yes. i didn't realise it was a complete freeze, thought it was just momentary (i.e. lag)

if it is so much faster, then will we see flash support, or is that an issue with the gfx chip (or does flash require a dual core)?

Edited by sej7278

Guest sej7278
^Flash requires an ARMv7 processor, and as much as you will probably hate me for saying it, SEARCH!!!

i agree completely i should have searched, but i thought i'd sneak it in there :D

Guest sid3091

CM7 is a bit weird. Live wallpapers run flawlessly but normal ones are sluggish to use( worse than eclair, responsiveness wise). Apps do seem to run a lot faster and im getting far less lag in angry birds than i used to with froyo. Im using Launcher Pro BTW.

Guest tonydl
CM7 is a bit weird. Live wallpapers run flawlessly but normal ones are sluggish to use( worse than eclair, responsiveness wise). Apps do seem to run a lot faster and im getting far less lag in angry birds than i used to with froyo. Im using Launcher Pro BTW.

Is there a similar feature in Launcher Pro like ADWs "wallpaper hack"? If yes you need to disable it - it worked for me.

Guest Krinyo

CM7 is the fastest OS on my Blade, faster than anything before. It's in RC stage, so don't be stupid. Don't do any judgement until it's coming out in final version. :D

Guest DanWilson
^Flash requires an ARMv7 processor, and as much as you will probably hate me for saying it, SEARCH!!!

Awww, no Flash 10.2 for you poor little people?

TROLLOLOLOLLOL

Guest Maringer

Hmmm. Interesting.

The cnet report seems to think that the phone supports flash.

Is this a sign that the processor in the Skate is actually an MSM7230 or is it just more crappy journalism?

Guest fonix232

ZTE said the skate will support Flash 10.1 (and I guess then 10.2 too when it comes out) so it is definitely ARMv7. I am thinking about an upgrade to it when it comes to Hungary, and I hope it will have such a huge community as the Blade :D

On the other hand, to be on-topic: the ZTE ROMs are totally unoptimized. Just compare a stock ZTE rom with Finnish Fillyjonk, you will see the difference! This goes to CM7 too!

Guest sej7278
ZTE said the skate will support Flash 10.1 (and I guess then 10.2 too when it comes out) so it is definitely ARMv7. I am thinking about an upgrade to it when it comes to Hungary, and I hope it will have such a huge community as the Blade :D

i think the skate is going to be too big for my liking, if i wanted a screen that big i'd get a tablet.

On the other hand, to be on-topic: the ZTE ROMs are totally unoptimized. Just compare a stock ZTE rom with Finnish Fillyjonk, you will see the difference! This goes to CM7 too!

that's what i was thinking - bound to be full of bloat by default, then branding on top.

Guest ThrashMan

Do you get even less lagg if you disable "Enable Surface Dithering" within Settings/CM/Performance? (Might need a reboot)

Edited by ThrashMan

Guest fonix232
i think the skate is going to be too big for my liking, if i wanted a screen that big i'd get a tablet.

It's not THAT big. I need a big screen, my thumbs are huge :D and such, but the Skate is still in an acceptable size.

that's what i was thinking - bound to be full of bloat by default, then branding on top.

Actually, ZTE is one of the manufacturers who don't load bloatshit on their phones. They change what needs to be changed (framework bits) and that's all, the toppings were added by Orange, not by ZTE.

By unoptimization I meant that they won't match the software to the hardware. The usual take-the-code, put-it-on-device, edit-until-works, release-profit process can be seen here.

Guest The-One

They said were? What i do know is that at Barcelona they said it was an MSM7227 so no ARMv7.

And the slowness is kinda normal because that was an aosp build without many mods, i got that same behaviour on the blade but it runs pretty smooth once you tweak it a bit.

Edited by The-One

Guest fonix232
They said were? What i do know is that at Barcelona they said it was an MSM7227 so no ARMv7.

And the slowness is kinda normal because that was an aosp build without many mods, i got that same behaviour on the blade but it runs pretty smooth once you tweak it a bit.

Can't recall, if I remember correct it was on the ZTE site.