[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Anil k Solanki

sorry if this has been asked, but does WIFI still "turn off" when the phone is sleeping? if it's stopped doing that then i'll come back to CM

Hi Lloir, Wi-Fi works fine on N131, just make sure you have set the sleep policy under Wi-Fi settings>Menu to what you want.

I must point out that some folks are reporting battery issues with Wi-Fi. I have none of the issues mentioned in this thread. Lucky? Maybe, but I reckon doing a full factory reset really helps avoid any issues. Just ensure you have you data synched with Google before flashing. And after flashing and entering your Google account details, wait upto 30 mins for Google to resync your data and download your apps. Which it will do, but if you play with your phone straight away the sync doesn't seem to happen.

Finally depending on which launcher you use, back up the launcher settings, it will make getting back to your preferred setup quicker.

I hope this helps.Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest hugobosslives

First: as sej7278 stated, I also think that WiFi drains a lot of battery! Dont get me wrong, battery usage is overall great, but when I turn WiFi on the battery just vanishes (like 1% for each 2 or 3 minutes), e.g., a lot faster than when using GPS! Can anyone else confirm this? Any known fixes workarounds?

known problem. no workaround apart from not using it (3g instead) and turning off when not using.

Second: bluetooth share stops: when tring to share a file via Bluetooth, the process stops and makes it unable to share. Does it happen to someone else too?

works fine for me.

Third: though battery usage during sleep is excelent, I am not sure the phone sleeps properly. This night a strange behavior alerted me to this problem: I put the phone to sleep and went to sleep myself. After 4 hours I woke up, and pick up the phone to check the time, and also noticed that the battery drainage was 0% (great! From 50% before sleep to 50% after 4hours). We both went back to sleep. Woke up definitely after 5hours, check on the phone. The battery drained 16% (!!!) from 50 to 34%! Check on battery usage statistics to see what was the problem: the phone kept awake during these last 5h... Any guess?

Notice that after the first woke, the phone did not sleep properly...

I also find it strange that wifi shows up as active during the whole time, even though I set it to deactivate when the screen is off...

Any thoughts??

straight after a sleep the battery % is wrong. often when waking up (overnight) you will see 0% battery drain. then after using for 5mins, it will drop by 5-10ish% then level off. this is effectively catching up with the battery loss over night. on average you lose about 0.5% per hour in proper sleep.

does your phone wake up by pressing menu,home,back etc? if so is not sleeping. wipe caches. and fiddle around to see if any app is keeping blade awake.....

EDIT: Don't mean to brag, hehe, but... nice first post, hum? :P

meh. average ;)

Guest Clitheroe1

Hi Clitheroe1, unfortunately for you the notification icons are all standard Gingerbread icons, and it's not something that you can change simply or permanently, every ROM update will flash over any tweaks.

However I have a possible solution to the SMS icon part of your problem. I use an app called "Go SMS Pro", it is free and very customizable. You can customise the interface and, more importantly for you, the notification icon. If you do use this app, don't forget to turn off notification in the stock SMS app, otherwise you will get two lots of notifications.

I use a slightly customised built in Apple/iPhone theme for conversation view of my messages. You could customise it to suit your visual needs. Sorry I can't help with the Gmail icon.

Regards. Anil.

Thanks for replying Anil; I will check out your sms suggestion as it looks like just what I need to take care of the issue I have with sms notifications.

If I find a solution to the Twitter and Gmail notification icon problem, I will post it here as I can't be the only person on here with the same issue unless everyone on here has perfect eyesight.

Guest Lloir

Hi Lloir, Wi-Fi works fine on N131, just make sure you have set the sleep policy under Wi-Fi settings>Menu to what you want.

I must point out that some folks are reporting battery issues with Wi-Fi. I have none of the issues mentioned in this thread. Lucky? Maybe, but I reckon doing a full factory reset really helps avoid any issues. Just ensure you have you data synched with Google before flashing. And after flashing and entering your Google account details, wait upto 30 mins for Google to resync your data and download your apps. Which it will do, but if you play with your phone straight away the sync doesn't seem to happen.

Finally depending on which launcher you use, back up the launcher settings, it will make getting back to your preferred setup quicker.

I hope this helps.Anil.

thanks for the tip dude :) i'll go check it out in a bit

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks for replying Anil; I will check out your sms suggestion as it looks like just what I need to take care of the issue I have with sms notifications.

If I find a solution to the Twitter and Gmail notification icon problem, I will post it here as I can't be the only person on here with the same issue unless everyone on here has perfect eyesight.

Hi Clitheroe1, you're welcome, the Go SMS app is very good, and very free!

As for the Gmail notification icon, I can clearly discern what it is, however I wouldn't mind a little colour or clarity. But it is a design choice made by the Google ANDROID team, love it or hate it, it can be changed but IMO it's not worth the hassle. Your Twitter app must be a third party app because I've not seen one in a Vanilla ANDROID ROM, if so that could be changeable. Which on do you use?

Anil.

Guest k0zmic

Yeah, GoSMS is really good. There's also Handcent & ChompSMS as alternatives.

Guest sej7278

I must point out that some folks are reporting battery issues with Wi-Fi. I have none of the issues mentioned in this thread. Lucky? Maybe, but I reckon doing a full factory reset really helps avoid any issues.

nah wifi drain was a confirmed issue with the new kernel by tom_g, we're not making it up :P

you may have a point about factory reset/data clearing though as battery stats seem completely random at the moment.

i'm trying to figure out what i'd have to do if i did a reset, i remember it wasn't fun last time:

• enter google login
  • restore launcher pro+ settings from backup
  • enter lp+ unlock code
  • enter rommanager premium unlock code (i bought it before it went on market)
  • restore apps from market
  • restore wifi settings for 3 networks i use (although i thought that was supposed to be synced with google too?)
  • restore colournotes from backup
  • install igo8 .apk
  • sync with google for gmail/contacts/g+

the main problem i found was that market didn't restore all of my apps, and even sending them to the phone from the website wasn't 100% reliable as the website doesn't list everything i've installed (and then there's regional variations so i've either got to install marketenabler or pop to france/uk lol!)

i might leave this exercise until we go to 7.1.0 final (or get a 2.6.35 kernel lol!) or when i don't need the phone for a few days.

and QWERTY - i'm not convinced wifi is turning off properly these days either.

Edited by sej7278

Guest Anil k Solanki

nah wifi drain was a confirmed issue with the new kernel by tom_g, we're not making it up :P

I didn't say or think people were making it up. :)

you may have a point about factory reset/data clearing though as battery stats seem completely random at the moment.

I have to be honest and say that suggesting Factory reset is just a guess, but I seem to far less issues because of it. :D

i'm trying to figure out what i'd have to do if i did a reset, i remember it wasn't fun last time:

the main problem i found was that market didn't restore all of my apps, and even sending them to the phone from the website wasn't 100% reliable as the website doesn't list everything i've installed (and then there's regional variations so i've either got to install marketenabler or pop to france/uk lol!)

i might leave this exercise until we go to 7.1.0 final (or get a 2.6.35 kernel lol!) or when i don't need the phone for a few days.

I have only had Google sync back EVERYTHING once, and I do mean everything, all apps, paid and free, Wi-Fi passwords etc, it was pretty cool. A user on XDA suggested waiting 30 mins after first entering your Google account details. Then it should work. When it does you will giggle like a little kid because it's pretty cool.

Regards. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki
i'm not convinced wifi is turning off properly these days either.

Hi sej7278, how do I find out if Wi-Fi really off?

Thanks. Anil.

Guest sej7278

I have only had Google sync back EVERYTHING once, and I do mean everything, all apps, paid and free, Wi-Fi passwords etc, it was pretty cool. A user on XDA suggested waiting 30 mins after first entering your Google account details. Then it should work. When it does you will giggle like a little kid because it's pretty cool.

how do you wait though - do you mean enter your account details but don't turn on wifi for 30mins?

as for wifi being off, no idea really, there must be something in the /proc filesystem i guess.

is iwconfig part of the android install ?

Edited by sej7278

Guest sej7278

I check Spare Parts or the Gingerbread Battery Use feature.

i was thinking a bit more low-level than that (not trusting gui apps which probably just do api calls) but i just had a look from adb and dmesg shows this lot when i turn off wifi from the notification power bar, which looks okay:

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.312831] [228: WifiService]AR6K: ar6000_cleanup_module ar6000_destroy [0]

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.312831] [228: WifiService]+ar6000_destroy 

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.312831] [228: WifiService]debug_hdr_ptr: 0x5018f0

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService]Length: 0 (Total size: 1500)

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService]ar6000_stop_endpoint -- enter

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService]ar6000_stop_endpoint issue disconnect cmd in 2282

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService]ar6000_stop_endpoint(): WMI stopped

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService] Shuting down HTC .... 

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService]HIFMaskInterrupt release irq

<6>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService][sdio_card_irq_put] host was claimed release it first

<6>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService]destroy  mmc_sdio_irq_wake_lock

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.538075] [228: WifiService] Host does not want target reset. 

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.808070] [228: WifiService]-ar6000_destroy 

<3>[07-17 19:49:09.808070] [228: WifiService]verg_disable succeed

<4>[07-17 19:49:09.808070] [228: WifiService]Trigger mmc detect for removing sdio wifi card

<6>[07-17 19:49:09.858066] [12: kmmcd]mmc1: card 0001 removed

<4>[07-17 19:49:10.988063] [228: WifiService]ar6000_cleanup: success

Edited by sej7278

Guest k0zmic

i was thinking a bit more low-level than that (not trusting gui apps which probably just do api calls)

Good point.

On a side note, I do use Green Power instead of the sleep policy, so my Wi-Fi is basically turned off as it would be via the notification widget toggle and reconnects have been almost 100% reliable since I began using a static IP for my phone :).

Edited by k0zmic

Guest Anil k Solanki

what is the difference betweenCyanogenMod 7 nightlies and

CyanogenMod 7 ????

Hi VictorMartinez, Blade nightlies are builds that are produced by the Cyanogen Blade code team on a nightly basis (not exactly every night). They include bug fixes and in the process of fixing bugs some things may get broken. The full official Cyanogen releases, are considered to be stable and bug free-ish, to be used by the general public.The official releases may have less features, but will generally be more predictable and reliable.

If you are totally new to ROM flashing then, I would recommend getting your feet wet with a more general release ROM. But which ROM really depends on your needs.

I hope this answers your question. Anil.

Guest Simono

On N132 GPS not always switched on when start application that it used, I must close application and run it again when GPS icon appears on status bar and it working. This problem is not observe on N128.

Guest Anil k Solanki

On N132 GPS not always switched on when start application that it used, I must close application and run it again when GPS icon appears on status bar and it working. This problem is not observe on N128.

Hi Simono, which application doesn't always turn on GPS?

Anil.

Guest Simono

GPS status, Endomondo Sportstracker, Sygic Aura. I mostly use this. Yesterday on Sportstracker GPS is switched off while thet application working.

Edited by Simono

Guest Clitheroe1

As for the Gmail notification icon, I can clearly discern what it is, however I wouldn't mind a little colour or clarity. But it is a design choice made by the Google ANDROID team, love it or hate it, it can be changed but IMO it's not worth the hassle. Your Twitter app must be a third party app because I've not seen one in a Vanilla ANDROID ROM, if so that could be changeable. Which on do you use?

Anil.

Go SMS is great and it has the option of having the familiar green notification icon so I'm very happy with that. I've also found an app called Gmail Notifier available free in the Market which allows you to use the colour Gmail notification icon so I'm very pleased with that.

For Twitter, I use the official Twitter app which previously used a blue icon but recently they introduced a new version which came out about the time I swtiched to N128 so I incorrectly made the assumption that it was my ROM that caused the grey colour change. So just that one to sort out now.

Edited by Clitheroe1

Guest Anil k Solanki

Go SMS is great and it has the option of having the familiar green notification icon so I'm very happy with that. I've also found an app called Gmail Notifier available free in the Market which allows you to use the colour Gmail notification icon so I'm very pleased with that.

For Twitter, I use the official Twitter app which previously used a blue icon but recently they introduced a new version which came out about the time I swtiched to N128 so I incorrectly made the assumption that it was my ROM that caused the grey colour change. So just that one to sort out now.

Hi Clitheroe1, I'm glad you like Go SMS Pro and that it solved your icon request. I have mine set to green, and pink only for my girlfriend, it's amazing how much work has been put into this free app. Thanks for the info on Gmail Notifier, I have Gmail Notifier on my Mac but I didn't know you could get it for your ANDROID phone, thanks I will try it out.

Regards. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki
I've also found an app called Gmail Notifier available free in the Market which allows you to use the colour Gmail notification icon so I'm very pleased with that.

Great find Clitheroe1, the blinking status LED works again, and I can choose the most suitable icon for my needs, and a quiet time for when notifications are not needed. This really should be built in to the Gmail app itself. Very cool. Anil.

Guest VictorMartinez

thanks for helping me .... i think i will use nighty and no is not the first time.... and something else... does any one know how can i make the rom manager premium? without credit card???

Edited by VictorMartinez

Guest Anil k Solanki

thanks for helping me .... i think i will use nighty and no is not the first time.... and something else... does any one know how can i make the rom manager premium? without credit card???

Hi VictorMartinez, I believe you can pay for ROM Manager Premium with PayPal. To which you would need to have a bank account linked.

Anil.