[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest targetbsp

Hi ididmytime, the notification light does blink, but it stops after a while, say 2 mins. For the life of me I can't remember if this is the normal behaviour.

Anil.

It should go solid on after a short while of flashing. If it goes off then it's behaving as a stock rom.

Guest Ray-man

Hi Ray-man,

Sorry to hear you still have problems. The "Dalvik" cache can be found under advanced, in Clockwork recovery. Don't worry about the Ext partition not backing up, unless you created one Clockwork will just report none could be found and skip it.

As for your PC problem, good luck, I'm a Mac user so can't be of any help.

I did try Ginger Stir fry a few Beta's back, but now I'm back on Cyanogen, there are way too many useful features that I can't live without. Good luck with your installs, and, err, the BT Homehub. God Bless Telecom Italia, I get amazing speeds here.

Anil.

Hi Anil, no progress with the PC USB problem, it's the same on my wife's PC. However, wbaw has dug up something that may fix the homehub problem but it means substituting a .bin file in the rom before installing. I think I can do that but do you know if there are any MD5s embedded in rom zip files that Clockwork checks, I didn't find anything when I looked through the unzipped rom but could have missed it.

Anyway, I may not have solved the problems yet but at least I'm finding my way around the system a bit more so that's good!

Thanks wbaw, I could give that a try but does that mean I can't do the MD5 checks, if so how can I be sure it hasn't got corrupted?

As long as you safely unmount the usb after copying your new zip file then it shouldn't get corrupted. Most of the time if it gets corrupted it's a bad download. Clockworkmod doesn't do md5 checks by default, but it also can't write to the really dangerous parts, you can't kill your phone with a bad clockworkmod flash (at worst you just need to do a good one after).

It's not as important as checking before you tpt, like the gen1 to gen2 update - a tpt flashes all the low level firmware that makes android start, so it's a bit like flashing the bios on your pc, if it goes badly wrong then you can kill the whole thing.

For your usb problem, you're not missing the obvious are you? you need to pull down the notification bar, tap on the usb connected then the 'turn on usb storage' button, then tap ok. I think it was different in 2.1.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Anil k Solanki

As long as you safely unmount the usb after copying your new zip file then it shouldn't get corrupted. Most of the time if it gets corrupted it's a bad download. Clockworkmod doesn't do md5 checks by default, but it also can't write to the really dangerous parts, you can't kill your phone with a bad clockworkmod flash (at worst you just need to do a good one after).

It's not as important as checking before you tpt, like the gen1 to gen2 update - a tpt flashes all the low level firmware that makes android start, so it's a bit like flashing the bios on your pc, if it goes badly wrong then you can kill the whole thing.

For your usb problem, you're not missing the obvious are you? you need to pull down the notification bar, tap on the usb connected then the 'turn on usb storage' button, then tap ok. I think it was different in 2.1.

Hi wbaw (John Kenney),

Nice to see you around again. I read about some disputes, hopefully that's all been sorted now. I used your TPT method to get to Gen 2. So just incase I haven't said it before, thank you.

Anil.

PS. It may be a childish observation, but my birthday is on the 4th of May. Or, as I like to say "May the 4th be with you.". LOL.

Guest mELIANTE

My blade is having sleep issues. After some time it won't go to sleep... I'm on N146, thus, new kernel. Didnt have this problem with the previous nightly I was using, N127 I think. Anybody else having this? :(

Guest Ray-man

Thanks again wbaw, The USB problem, yes I was missing the obvious! I had no idea that the notification bar was active, I thought it was just for status indication. I've just followed your guide and the USB works again. I really am pleased you're available again.

As for changing the wifi, I've unzipped CM7-N148 on the pc and substituted the dhcpcd file in the .bin folder but don't know how to zip the entire directory to make the new rom zip. I'm using JZIP as I can't trust my Windows Explorer anymore.Is there a way I can do it?

Edited by Ray-man

Guest Anil k Solanki

My blade is having sleep issues. After some time it won't go to sleep... I'm on N146, thus, new kernel. Didnt have this problem with the previous nightly I was using, N127 I think. Anybody else having this? :(

Hi mELIANTE, I find warm milk works a treat, the Blade falls into a deep sleep. :) All kidding aside, how does one ascertain that the Blade is having sleep issues? Is battery drain an indicator? I've heard this question many times before and I never could quite understand the question. What is proper sleep? I don't mean to be glib, I would sincerely love to know what proper sleep is. For the record I'm running N149. No nightmares here. :D

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks again wbaw, The USB problem, yes I was missing the obvious! I had no idea that the notification bar was active, I thought it was just for status indication. I've just followed your guide and the USB works again. I really am pleased you're available again.

Damn, the notification bar! Sometimes it is the simplest of answers. "Err, the light bulb is not working." "Have you tried turning it on?" "Damn, there's a switch!".

The morale here is; in tech-support take nothing for granted, nothing.

Have fun. Anil.

Guest mELIANTE

Hi mELIANTE, I find warm milk works a treat, the Blade falls into a deep sleep. :) All kidding aside, how does one ascertain that the Blade is having sleep issues? Is battery drain an indicator? I've heard this question many times before and I never could quite understand the question. What is proper sleep? I don't mean to be glib, I would sincerely love to know what proper sleep is. For the record I'm running N149. No nightmares here. :D

Anil.

The best indicator that the phone is not sleeping properly is when you press another button besides the power button and the phone wakes up. Mine's doing that. I remember sometime ago there was a similar problem but I don't know when or what it was... But I suppose it's something to do with the new kernel?

Guest Anil k Solanki

The best indicator that the phone is not sleeping properly is when you press another button besides the power button and the phone wakes up. Mine's doing that. I remember sometime ago there was a similar problem but I don't know when or what it was... But I suppose it's something to do with the new kernel?

Hi mELIANTE, I had this "issue" with N127 or thereabouts, it was intermittent, the fix I originally posted was to go to Settings>Cyanogen Mod>Input> near the bottom there is a section called "Buttons". There are three check boxes, check and uncheck all of them, exit that menu with all three unchecked and then reboot. This may solve your issue.

Anil.

Guest Geree

I just noticed that the FM channel seeking still doesn't work properly if not American settings are chosen (200khz steps). If I choose Europe, the seek doesn't work upwards, it keep stucking between 87.5 and 89.5...but if I set the frequency mually to 108 and try seeking backwards, it works flawlessly... intresting....

Guest Nickman1200

Hi. I first flashed and used cm-7.1.0-RC1 n126 or something like that and did the libaudio fix, gps fix i think.

Every thing work great. Then when i saw "update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-KANG-signed-20110724-n142plus" i thought it be safe to upgrade to get new features (soft buttons, screenshot ability,newer blade kernel etc).

Flashed the upgrade and wiped dalwhic cache.

At first every thing worked great.. but some time later. think it was a day or two. My touchscreen started to behave strange.

Not registering my touch not working on upper half of the screen. I rebooted and behold everything started working again.. I quickly downloaded an app that test your touchscreen input.. All looked ok... Later the same say it started to misbehave again so after ALOT of trying to get the app to start i finally got it running. It showed that it registered 2 sets of inputs when i touched the screen. One almost on my fingers location but also in on the right side of the screen. that was fixed maybe 100 pixels from the side and only moved up and down with my finger.

So i rebooted once again and it worked again.. Do i have to wipe data or is this some new problem ?

I have also tried upgrading to n148.. But it's the same.

Any help or suggestion is more then welcome.

Infomation on my blade:

ZTE Blade Sweden 2.1 Telia model.

TPT upgraded to Gen2 using wbaw's Custom rom version. (Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data, 0.1mb oem)

A2SD installed with a 1GB ext2 partion on the sd card.

gapps-gb-20110613-signed installed

Guest Tetas

Anil.

Also, CPU Spy (market) can give you a help there. It shows you the time your CPU spends in any given state including deep sleep since the last boot/reboot i believe, helpful in those cases when it might be a "fake" deep sleep issue as you pointed out with the actions Home, Back and Menu might've been atributed with.

Guest mELIANTE

Hi mELIANTE, I had this "issue" with N127 or thereabouts, it was intermittent, the fix I originally posted was to go to Settings>Cyanogen Mod>Input> near the bottom there is a section called "Buttons". There are three check boxes, check and uncheck all of them, exit that menu with all three unchecked and then reboot. This may solve your issue.

Anil.

The reboot itself fixes it so no need to meddle with those settings, but I was trying to figure out why it happens because I dread the reboots lol

Also, CPU Spy (market) can give you a help there. It shows you the time your CPU spends in any given state including deep sleep since the last boot/reboot i believe, helpful in those cases when it might be a "fake" deep sleep issue as you pointed out with the actions Home, Back and Menu might've been atributed with.

Turns out that out of the past 26 hours only 9 have been in deep sleep. Something's not right :(

Edited by mELIANTE

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi. I first flashed and used cm-7.1.0-RC1 n126 or something like that and did the libaudio fix, gps fix i think.

Every thing work great. Then when i saw "update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-KANG-signed-20110724-n142plus" i thought it be safe to upgrade to get new features (soft buttons, screenshot ability,newer blade kernel etc). Flashed the upgrade and wiped dalwhic cache.

At first every thing worked great.. but some time later. think it was a day or two. My touchscreen started to behave strange.

Not registering my touch not working on upper half of the screen. I rebooted and behold everything started working again.. I quickly downloaded an app that test your touchscreen input.. All looked ok... Later the same say it started to misbehave again so after ALOT of trying to get the app to start i finally got it running. It showed that it registered 2 sets of inputs when i touched the screen. One almost on my fingers location but also in on the right side of the screen. that was fixed maybe 100 pixels from the side and only moved up and down with my finger.

So i rebooted once again and it worked again.. Do i have to wipe data or is this some new problem ? I have also tried upgrading to n148.. But it's the same. Any help or suggestion is more then welcome.

Infomation on my blade:

ZTE Blade Sweden 2.1 Telia model.

TPT upgraded to Gen2 using wbaw's Custom rom version. (Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data, 0.1mb oem)

A2SD installed with a 1GB ext2 partion on the sd card.

gapps-gb-20110613-signed installed

Hi Nickman1200, I would try this. Boot into recovery and wipe the Dalvik cache, and the Cache partition. Flash N149, and reboot. Your issue sounds like a system software problem, hopefully this will fix it.

Good luck. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

The reboot itself fixes it so no need to meddle with those settings, but I was trying to figure out why it happens because I dread the reboots lol

Great.

Turns out that out of the past 26 hours only 9 have been in deep sleep. Something's not right :(

For socket-level communication, you will wake up when you are receiving data, which doesn't mean your screen turns on. The Blade will always keep a data connection, but unless you hold a wifi lock it would like to fall back to the cellular network since that takes significantly less power.

Perhaps you have a service running? I have no idea which apps you have installed, so there could be hundreds of possibilities. I uninstalled Skype because even though I quit the app it insisted on having a daemon running, so it was goodbye Skype.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Tetas

It's a bit odd I guess. I haven't used N146 I'm still on sej's 142+ when I decided to try the new kernel. So far I have no problems with it so I have no reason to try any of the new nightlies. Previously I was on n136+ (sej's fan here) and n123(plus?? can't remember). My phone spends between 65% and 90% of the time in deep sleep.

You have some options, although I cannot figure the reason of your blade's insomnia.

1- You could try re-flashing (wipe dalvik and cache)

2- Re-flashing doing a factory reset

3- Try a newer nightly

4- Trying sej's N142+ (soft buttons and new kernel) wich for me is the best so far

Sorry if I can't be of any more help

Edited by Tetas

Guest spaceguy

hay guys, i just flashed to n149 and I experienced a problem with the keyboard. my problem is in the input languages, you see I live in Sweden that's why i use a swedish keyboard layout. this option is missing now, which i had no problem with before.

if you can kindly look if this is the case for you too, i would appreciate it:)

thanks

Guest targetbsp

I don't think it's a rom issue. There haven't been enough complaints. :D

Checked for partial wakes in spare parts?

Guest Anil k Solanki

batteryusage_327d.gif

This is a slide from Google IO. The geeks will say "cool", everybody else will say "meh".

Anil.

PS. This graph assumes the user uses their handset for 10 mins every hour. It also shows (In blue) services being used at full tilt.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest sej7278

I uninstalled Skype because even though I quit the app it insisted on having a daemon running, so it was goodbye Skype.

same here, ever since the last update skype is constantly running, so got uninstalled.

since i stopped using google reader this morning i've used about 4% battery today (16 hours or so on standby) so i've found my wifi drain problem anyway.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I would love to see a column on that graph like that for everything maxed out at the same time. Then I can guess how long the battery will last while playing a game, finding prime numbers, transferring data over wifi and 3g at the same time while almost out of range in a very sunny place, which I need to take a video of. while playing music at max volume.

Guest Anil k Solanki

hay guys, i just flashed to n149 and I experienced a problem with the keyboard. my problem is in the input languages, you see I live in Sweden that's why i use a swedish keyboard layout. this option is missing now, which i had no problem with before.

if you can kindly look if this is the case for you too, i would appreciate it:)

thanks

Hi spaceguy, I use English & Italian on my keyboard, I just checked and Swedish is available as a system language, but not as an input language. If you set the system to Swedish doesn't the ANDROID keyboard appear in Swedish? I did a quick check in the Marketplace, and there isn't a download for a Swedish input language. The app Go SMS Pro does have a Swedish input language add-on for the GO SMS keyboard.

So it depends what you need the Swedish input language for, everything? Or just some apps?

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki