[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Nick Rhodes

Hello people, im using the last Official Nightly 179.

I don't have issues in gps or wifi like some people talks.

But i have one issue, that is my phone doesn't go to deep sleep. You can test that, if the phone wakes up by pressing the home key for example. It should only wake up if pressing the power button.

Can someone check if you have the same issue? Many Thanks

Here is my logcat: http://pastebin.com/YZTwAwhR

Hi, I am also using n179, but not getting any wakelocks.

Have you checked your battery stats and spareparts for evidence of apps keeping your phone awake ?

Been using n179 since day it came out, had one reboot using GPS navigation, apart from that, very good, great battery life as well.

Cheers, Nick

Wifi reconnects good for me. I'll get the awext fix submitted soon.

vanilla patch3 simply does not reconnect. it seems to disconnect from the AP but stay enabled (in some lower power mode it seems as it doesn't drain battery).

with the wpa_cli, wpa_supplicant and libwpa_client.so (awext) binaries ripped from issue 3157 it reconnects due to never sleeping :D

so when you say it reconnects for you, do you mean with a newer awext fix perhaps?

Hi, I am also using n179, but not getting any wakelocks.

Have you checked your battery stats and spareparts for evidence of apps keeping your phone awake ?

Been using n179 since day it came out, had one reboot using GPS navigation, apart from that, very good, great battery life as well.

Cheers, Nick

One time it was the GPSLocationProvider that was keeping the phone awake.

But last days, i can't see nothing that is keeping the phone awake. I use the app BetterBatteryStats to check it.

Just for the record, um using Governor Smartass and 480/729Mhz. Im using also Darktremor App2sd.

Wich governor you use?

Edited by Revenge

Guest targetbsp

vanilla patch3 simply does not reconnect. it seems to disconnect from the AP but stay enabled (in some lower power mode it seems as it doesn't drain battery).

Just to confirm, I tried it with wifi set to sleep with screen off and disabled my wifi reconnect tasker workaround. The next time I brought the screen on it didn't reconnect. No wifi icon at all despite my widget showing wifi was one. I went to settings, wireless and networks (hadn't clicked any actual wifi options) and the wifi icon suddenly appeared dark grey in notification with no connection. Under Wi-fi it just said scanning. I had to switch wi-fi off and on again to fix it.

For me, this is exactly the same as the intermittent issue on the old kernel without the 3 files fix. As I only tested it once it could still be an intermittent issue. I'm not sure whether you're saying it's worse than the old kernel or just pointing out it's still nto fixed?

with the wpa_cli, wpa_supplicant and libwpa_client.so (awext) binaries ripped from issue 3157 it reconnects due to never sleeping :D

so when you say it reconnects for you, do you mean with a newer awext fix perhaps?

Same fix (except I don't take the files from a prebuilt rom). works like it should.

I have since the past week a problem, but only confirmed it today.

My phone is stuck in landscape mode (I have landscape always disabled, that why I only confirmed it today), does anyone know any way of resolving this without wiping data (which resolves the problem) :)?

It happens in the old and new kernel.

Edited by Migun

Guest targetbsp

I'm just playing with the fix myself. I may have missed some of the background to this discussion so I might not be being helpful here. :D But just to clarify... do you meant the wifi doesn't go off after 15 minutes of idle or the phone doens't sleep? Because the phone stops sleeping if I ping it but is asleep inbetween. It reacts to pings whilst asleep but wakes up temporarily as a result of them and then goes to sleep again.

I'll have to wait 15 minutes now I spose to see if the wifi does go off!

Guest Nick Rhodes

Just for the record, um using Governor Smartass and 480/729Mhz. Im using also Darktremor App2sd.

Wich governor you use?

Stock as no proven real world advantage to using any of the alternatives.

I also dont use App2sd of anykind.

Cheers, Nick

Same fix (except I don't take the files from a prebuilt rom). works like it should.

ok good, i assumed it would work if it was recompiled from source rather than ripped from an old rom.

not to be a nag, but is it anywhere near releaseable? :o

Guest targetbsp

Patchset 3 with the wifi reconnect fix and wi-fi sleep policy of screen off. Phone sleeps fine (when not transferring data) and for me, after 15 minutes the wifi goes off. When I next wake the phone it reconnects fine.

Patchset 3 with the wifi reconnect fix and wi-fi sleep policy of screen off. Phone sleeps fine (when not transferring data) and for me, after 15 minutes the wifi goes off. When I next wake the phone it reconnects fine.

well that's just weird. i'll test again later.

so test cases are:

1. does wifi go off with screen?

test: ping within 2secs of screen off

expected result: no

observed result: no

2. does wifi go off after 15mins?

test: ping after 15mins

expected result: yes

observed result: yes

3. does wifi actually turn off or just disconnect from the ap?

test: spareparts/battery history after an hour

expected result: turns off, doesn't drain battery

observed result: spare parts says wifi on 99% (58mins) but wifi running 33% (17mins) battery hasn't even drained 1%

4. does wifi reconnect after sleep?

test: wake after 15mins and try to reconnect to google

expected result: yes

observed result: yes

5. does wifi stop sleep?

test: try to wake after 15mins with menu button

expected result: no

observed result: no

Edited by sej7278

Guest CaptainSpectacular

We just have to replace these files from the issue 3157 rom in existing rom and that's it ?

system/bin/wpa_cli

system/bin/wpa_supplicant

system/lib/libwpa_client.so

Thanks.

Guest targetbsp

1, 2 ,4 ,5 I meet the expected conditions. Plus a 6th one: when it's set to never in the sleep policy it accepted a ping 30 minutes after screen off so looks like it will stay up indefinitely if the user desires?

With regards to 3, the wifi running shows as expected according to condition 1 and 2 in spare parts and about phone. But spare parts does show wifi on permanently. I don't know if that's intentional? Presumably it is. I've told wifi to be on and I've never told it to be off - only to sleep.

It doesn't seem hard on the battery. When I started this testing I was on 96% battery and I'm still on 96% battery after a total time of wifi on 1 hour 10 mins (99.9%) and wifi running 56 mins (80.7%)

It seems to be in a low powered state - the first ping return is always much longer than the latter 3.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

We just have to replace these files from the issue 3157 rom in existing rom and that's it ?

system/bin/wpa_cli

system/bin/wpa_supplicant

system/lib/libwpa_client.so

Thanks.

There's a patch you can install using clockwork here (quoted): http://android.modaco.com/topic/335328-cyanogenmod-7-android-234-is-now-gen-2-only/page__st__8100__p__1800082#entry1800082

I just used that. Not sure what it replaces!

1, 2 ,4 ,5 I meet the expected conditions. Plus a 6th one: when it's set to never in the sleep policy it accepted a ping 30 minutes after screen off so looks like it will stay up indefinitely if the user desires?

With regards to 3, the wifi running shows as expected according to condition 1 and 2 in spare parts and about phone. But spare parts does show wifi on permanently. I don't know if that's intentional? Presumably it is. I've told wifi to be on and I've never told it to be off - only to sleep.

It doesn't seem hard on the battery. When I started this testing I was on 96% battery and I'm still on 96% battery after a total time of wifi on 1 hour 10 mins (99.9%) and wifi running 56 mins (80.7%)

It seems to be in a low powered state - the first ping return is always much longer than the latter 3.

i'm seeing the same as you now, not sure why it wouldn't connect for me before (and someone else confirmed) i've updated the post above with my results.

it seems there's a difference between wifi on and wifi running, it looks like its always on (in low power mode) but only running for the 15mins timeout.

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp

I actually forgot to turn it back off after testing and I now have wifi running for 2 and a half hours and still on 96% battery. Considering how little battery it uses - I think I'll keep it on. I kinda like having instantly available wifi. The remote control software I have for VLC on the pc makes a lot more sense now at least. It was a bit silly having to wait for it to connect before I could hit pause - it was faster to walk to the PC and do it. :D

Guest CaptainSpectacular

I actually forgot to turn it back off after testing and I now have wifi running for 2 and a half hours and still on 96% battery. Considering how little battery it uses - I think I'll keep it on. I kinda like having instantly available wifi. The remote control software I have for VLC on the pc makes a lot more sense now at least. It was a bit silly having to wait for it to connect before I could hit pause - it was faster to walk to the PC and do it. :D

Thanks for the patch. ;)

I do the same thing with MPC remote, so that would be cool if we can have wifi always ON when we want that. :)

Does anyone using sej7278's 179+ build with patchset 3 and get LBE security to work?

At the regular 179 the LBE service is working. But before a few days i tested sej's 179+ build (with old kernel) and didn't get LBE to work.

So before i flash the new 179 build from sej7278 anyone can tell me if it's working.

I don't want to use the regular 179 nightly build, because sej's builds have more tweaks ;)

Edited by Guest

Guest hlubepet

anoying - 9 percent of battery after 2 days with patch 3 and red led is blinking all the time.... grrrr. I want to do full-charge, so I want to have phone completly discharger, but this is really anoying :D

I got it building again after a 'make clean'. That is to say I'm back testing :D

i'm using this to sync just the cyanogenmod repo's:

repo list | awk '{if ($NF~/^CyanogenMod/) print $NF}' | xargs repo sync 

then grab tom's kernel patch3 from gerrit, jacob's testing libs from github and the wpa_supplicant patch from the forum or the issues tracker

job done!

Bluetooth - I understand that this hasn't worked properly since some issues were introduced at N171 (a much earlier post said this).

Does anyone know whether this is likely to be fixed? Maybe it isn't a common requirement, but it's a showstopper for me.

Thanks TomG, SEJ et al.

Hi all

Things are galloping along at quite a pace at the moment!

Does anyone who's using the new kernel/patches have any findings on the above?

Would changes in theses actually have any affect on how Bluetooth would work or are the bits that govern Bluetooth located elsewhere?

Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers, Paul