[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest hugobosslives

does anybody actually have adhoc wifi working on their blade on the latest cm7 nightlies.

I've seen lots of threads saying people have it working, but for the life of me I cannot get it working.....

I just always get connecting.... then disconnecting.... then obtaining IP.... then disconnecting... connecting.... etc......

And it's not my laptop as, i can get other android devices easily working and getting a full wifi signal :(

Guest targetbsp

you and i proved a while back (on one of the 2635 patches) that the 15mins wifi timeout does work as designed - somewhere in this massive thread, and tom_g confirmed it. plus you can always just turn wifi on/off manually using the power applet(s).

This is true. I'm just very hung over and was doubting myself lol.

Guest rockstarszzzz

i suspect people are using poor settings or using apps with wakelocks as i have no problem with battery drain either, my phone's been on for 2h30 with light wifi usage and used less than 1% battery (and that's not in the inaccurate 90-100% charge zone).

are people calibrating their battery and proximity as well as wiping /data when coming from gsf? what about only flashing when at 100% charge?

I am on CM7 since long. Around 200 onwards. Im on your 220+ and can last only 1 day. I've calibrated, wiped and formatted even my SD card! I don't use wifi at all. GPS only is used when I twitter or FB, but still can't get over 1 day. But I think it's all less to do with ROMs. No one has mentioned or even thought that presuming you purchased your blade during that massive sale in December 2010, the battery is going to be nearly a year old. They save average life is 2 years for this battery so considering that, our batteries have lived about 45-50% of their lives. So it's probably my battery gradually dying. However, I would love to be proved wrong and someone coming along and saying "Battery never dies!" - then I can blame ROMs. But I think for me, it's battery itself, not the firmware, software.

Guest hugobosslives

This is true. I'm just very hung over and was doubting myself lol.

2000 posts mate. well done.... :)

I am on CM7 since long. Around 200 onwards. Im on your 220+ and can last only 1 day. I've calibrated, wiped and formatted even my SD card! I don't use wifi at all. GPS only is used when I twitter or FB, but still can't get over 1 day. But I think it's all less to do with ROMs. No one has mentioned or even thought that presuming you purchased your blade during that massive sale in December 2010, the battery is going to be nearly a year old. They save average life is 2 years for this battery so considering that, our batteries have lived about 45-50% of their lives. So it's probably my battery gradually dying. However, I would love to be proved wrong and someone coming along and saying "Battery never dies!" - then I can blame ROMs. But I think for me, it's battery itself, not the firmware, software.

fair point. we all forget that. but I have had my battery since october 2010 and my battery still manages pretty much as well as it did when new. I have took quite good care of it tho :) I get 2 and half days on cm7 (moderate use, music and games and surfing) which is the same as on all roms

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest targetbsp

My battery still seems fine. Bought in November last year. Logic dictates it's worn a bit, but mine is no where near your estimates.

These things generally go off number of complete charges rather than age though don't they? (If I correctly remember my Ipod manual)

And I daresay I've charged mine less than average as I seem to use it less than my post count here would suggest. :D I'm more interested in tweaking the thing than using it!! I certainly never charge it everyday - probably every 3 days on average I'd say. So my battery is probably in better than average condition for its age?

2000 posts mate. well done.... :)

Thanks! Ruined it. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest sej7278

there's something very wrong there you should definitely get more than a day. yes i guess it could be battery, but i still expect its settings or a rogue app. gps can kill battery life, not sure why you'd turn it on for twitter/fb or do you mean wifi/3g?

i guess the way to test for sure if its hardware or software is boot it to recovery and leave it that way and see if the battery still dies within a day.

i bought my gen1 oled in february this year (so battery is new) at the same time as my sister. her phone is a white one and is constantly playing up (often refuses to charge, runs out of memory etc.) i'm sure its some weird apps she uses or the cheap chargers she's bought off ebay or something she does with her phone (she has 3g i don't, she plays games i don't) or perhaps the whites are a bad batch. her phone does seem to have improved since she replaced the 2gb with a faster 4gb sdhc and flashed cm7 over mcr12 (also tpt'd to gen2).

the only problem i get is the odd reboot, but i generally think that's down to shitty apps like google+, google maps and facebook, plus i overclock.

i'm sceptical about the "gsf is so much better" brigade, it can't be that much difference, cm7 even runs the same kernel these days and gsf uses a lot of cm7 apps.

hangover cures: greasy/salty mcdonald's breakfast with coke, full english down the cafe with irn-bru, more booze, or just puke it up and get it over with.

Edited by sej7278

I doubt that's the battery, you probably have the same problem as I that was introduced in android 2.3.7... Check spare parts and see the running time (it should be arround 50%). Enable airplane mode, wait some time and check again (it should be lower).

Solution for me, use a rom that has android 2.3.5 and battery lasts 6 days. My blade is 1 year old 

Edited by TigTex

Guest andy9876

I am on the same ROM and also only get a day. Love the rom very much though so have bought a charger to use in the office.

Guest Richard_Arkless

I am also on the same rom and get about a day, wiped everything and still the same problem, went back to a earlier nightly and it worked so I assume its either a problem with sej's 220+ rom or the 220 nightly in general

Once my phone has charged ill give the latest nightly a try

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Re battery life discussion:

I too had been a little disappointed with CM7 battery life after moving from GSF, getting between 1 and 2 days with 7.1.0 stable after being used to closer to 3 days with GSF. After a few charge-discharge cycles I had hoped it would settle down, but it didn't. So I did the old recalibration trick and I have been pleasantly surprised - well, amazed, actually. My battery is currently at 40% after almost 2 days and 22 hours! This is with fairly light use - some maps/GPS, some browsing, email reading, a few minutes of games and a handful of calls. All radios have been on all of the time (3G data, wifi and GPS). Auto-sync is off, wifi sleep is never, wifi open network notification is off. This is on a 10 month old LED phone.

This is still early days as this is still the first discharge cycle after calibration, and I want to monitor how things are with different usage scenarios, but so far so good.

Guest rockstarszzzz

fair point. we all forget that. but I have had my battery since october 2010 and my battery still manages pretty much as well as it did when new. I have took quite good care of it tho :) I get 2 and half days on cm7 (moderate use, music and games and surfing) which is the same as on all roms

By good care do you mean conservative number of charge cycles? Or anything special? ;)

My battery still seems fine. Bought in November last year. Logic dictates it's worn a bit, but mine is no where near your estimates.

These things generally go off number of complete charges rather than age though don't they? (If I correctly remember my Ipod manual)

And I daresay I've charged mine less than average as I seem to use it less than my post count here would suggest. :D I'm more interested in tweaking the thing than using it!! I certainly never charge it everyday - probably every 3 days on average I'd say. So my battery is probably in better than average condition for its age?

You are spot on! I forgot to mention 'charge cycles'. I read somewhere I think it's this forum itself, that average charge cycle for our blades are 300-320 after which it will start losing the optimum capacity of charge it holds. Something to do with the hexagons getting degenerated (lay men's terms this are!)

there's something very wrong there you should definitely get more than a day. yes i guess it could be battery, but i still expect its settings or a rogue app. gps can kill battery life, not sure why you'd turn it on for twitter/fb or do you mean wifi/3g?

i guess the way to test for sure if its hardware or software is boot it to recovery and leave it that way and see if the battery still dies within a day.

i bought my gen1 oled in february this year (so battery is new) at the same time as my sister. her phone is a white one and is constantly playing up (often refuses to charge, runs out of memory etc.) i'm sure its some weird apps she uses or the cheap chargers she's bought off ebay or something she does with her phone (she has 3g i don't, she plays games i don't) or perhaps the whites are a bad batch. her phone does seem to have improved since she replaced the 2gb with a faster 4gb sdhc and flashed cm7 over mcr12 (also tpt'd to gen2).

the only problem i get is the odd reboot, but i generally think that's down to shitty apps like google+, google maps and facebook, plus i overclock.

i'm sceptical about the "gsf is so much better" brigade, it can't be that much difference, cm7 even runs the same kernel these days and gsf uses a lot of cm7 apps.

hangover cures: greasy/salty mcdonald's breakfast with coke, full english down the cafe with irn-bru, more booze, or just puke it up and get it over with.

That was exactly the reason I bought up the issue with actual hardware. Because there are plenty of people who have talked about battery every so often on this thread and then say 'Oh Im switching to blah, switching to blah because last time I charged was on my 18th birthday!'

I think no ROM has been that good with me. On some occassions I have posted exceptional battery performances on my blade, but it's not consistent. My CM is pretty much stock apart from social apps and email app. Nothing extra. Doesn't GPS switch on itself with Google+ and FB auto when you try to check in or include your location with the post? Also in twitter same, but only when I want to include location, not auto. Surprisingly, only times I've got reboots on CM was before N188. After that, never had single reboot, unless I overclock above 710.

I doubt that's the battery, you probably have the same problem as I that was introduced in android 2.3.7... Check spare parts and see the running time (it should be arround 50%). Enable airplane mode, wait some time and check again (it should be lower).

Solution for me, use a rom that has android 2.3.5 and battery lasts 6 days. My blade is 1 year old

In my spare parts, running time since last charge is 15.1% and that's 9 hours since I unplugged. In stand by CM seems to be doing exceptionally well for me. But since screen wake up and it eats the battery. My usage isn't that heavy either. It's few calls, texts and mainly checking email, fb etc. However, I do have push/sync notifications on all the time for email, fb, twitter, google+.

I am on the same ROM and also only get a day. Love the rom very much though so have bought a charger to use in the office.

That's exactly the same reason, I am not going to join the people who say 'XYZ rom gives me better battery' because the battery drain isn't so bad that I completely ignore the other features that I'm enjoying right now!

I am also on the same rom and get about a day, wiped everything and still the same problem, went back to a earlier nightly and it worked so I assume its either a problem with sej's 220+ rom or the 220 nightly in general

Once my phone has charged ill give the latest nightly a try

What nightly are you on right now then? I do agree that I've only noticed this after going for 220+, but it could be purely coincidence here!

Re battery life discussion:

I too had been a little disappointed with CM7 battery life after moving from GSF, getting between 1 and 2 days with 7.1.0 stable after being used to closer to 3 days with GSF. After a few charge-discharge cycles I had hoped it would settle down, but it didn't. So I did the old recalibration trick and I have been pleasantly surprised - well, amazed, actually. My battery is currently at 40% after almost 2 days and 22 hours! This is with fairly light use - some maps/GPS, some browsing, email reading, a few minutes of games and a handful of calls. All radios have been on all of the time (3G data, wifi and GPS). Auto-sync is off, wifi sleep is never, wifi open network notification is off. This is on a 10 month old LED phone.

This is still early days as this is still the first discharge cycle after calibration, and I want to monitor how things are with different usage scenarios, but so far so good.

I think I can safely say Im in similar boat as yours! I've recalibrated the battery, wiped, cleaned, formatted too! The only difference I see in my and your usage pattern is - Auto-sync. For me it's turned on and emails are 'as soon as they arrive', fb and twitter are both '3 minutes' and Google+ is default - I think it is 'as soon as it arrives' too! - May be this could be the reason of drastic battery loss no matter what I do! But again, in spare parts, or battery history, these apps seem to only consume like 2%-4% battery individually in the whole cycle. Mostly it's android system and screen. I should also mention here, my screen brightness is set to - auto.

Guest Richard_Arkless

What nightly are you on right now then? I do agree that I've only noticed this after going for 220+, but it could be purely coincidence here!

I was on 220+ then went back to nightly 215 (because that was what I was using before) and battery life was fine there (normally get about 3 days) and now im on 227 and will get back to you on whether the battery life is better

I've installed this mod cm-7.1.0-Blade-circles-mod-thin-white.zip and the sej's soft buttons vanished together with its' settings in CM -> Tablet tweaks. I use only the back button and miss it so much already. Is this possible ? Should I reflash the rom again ?

It is because the softbuttons are in framework-res.apk which that theme replaces, you could probably find a cm7 theme (where you choose the theme from the theme chooser app) that does the same thing

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest jackal-sk

It is because the softbuttons are in framework-res.apk which that theme replaces, you could probably find a cm7 theme (where you choose the theme from the theme chooser app) that does the same thing

Aw s***, that has crossed my mind.

I haven't found any 'system' theme that has it. Only Androidian but I don't like the green appeal. System has the best colors. So I either choose a circle battery or softbuttons dry.gif.

Guest Richard_Arkless

Aw s***, that has crossed my mind.

I haven't found any 'system' theme that has it. Only Androidian but I don't like the green appeal. System has the best colors. So I either choose a circle battery or softbuttons dry.gif.

I always use this thread to look for my next theme and its updated pretty regularly.....I know its a pretty big list but you will definitely find something, lol you better get started :D

Volume plus works up untill V1.8.0.0 , versions 1.8.0.1 and v 1.8.0.2 do not work, i reported this to the developer. i have a legitimite version from the market, and with autoupdate it failed working after V1.8.0.0

what is said earlier is true as well, you must uninstall DSP manager as it conflicts with volume+, just freezing it is no good !!

also volume plus crashes when a call comes in, this has to do with the experimental in-call option in the latest builds, the developer knows this and is working on it

I managed to find a V1.8.0.0 on the net, because i could not get it from the market no more or from his website www.androidaudiohacks.com

so on cm 7.1 stable volume+ don't crashe when u get a call?

Guest sej7278

I was on 220+ then went back to nightly 215 (because that was what I was using before) and battery life was fine there (normally get about 3 days) and now im on 227 and will get back to you on whether the battery life is better

my n220+ does have a newer kernel than even n227 (when will it get merged ffs?!) so its possible there could be battery issues, although i'm not seeing them.

and yeah softbuttons are in framework-res.apk, for a theme to screw with that is a bit dangerous, although i guess a battery icon is more than just a theme, but in theory you should recompile that theme for every nightly you install or you risk actually losing menu's and stuff more than just softbuttons.

do we have source code for these circle battery themes, so we could merge them alongside softbuttons (and miui battery)?

Edited by sej7278

Guest natenjo

hello,

I put CyanogenMod 7.1 /´(stable) onto the phone of my gf and my phone.

On my phone everything works fine, on the phone of my gf the WiFi doesn't work. When its activated it doesn't find any wlan networks...

I flashed exactly the same Zip file to both phones and wiped everything first..

Home someone can help out :)

Guest jackal-sk

I always use this thread to look for my next theme and its updated pretty regularly.....I know its a pretty big list but you will definitely find something, lol you better get started :D

Thanks mate. However all I need is a default -system- theme with circle battery applied.

The guy who made it said it couldn't had been done as a standalone theme because -system- theme has no apk (unlike Androidian etc). So he made a workaround by modifying SystemUI and framework-res, which results in an interference with soft buttons.

I so got used to pressing the soft back button, its really neat. I also do love the circle battery with those little dots, *dong* :)

Guest ididmytime

I know we are getting a few new people using CM7 but I have to say...

What is up with people moaning about the battery? Incase you haven't noticed, you have an extremely budget phone with a weak battery. It is entirely down to you, as a user, to decide what you want from this phone. If you want it to last for ages, underclock it to 480mhz, reduce screen brightness and stop making it sync with FB and email all the time. If you are losing around 10% at night with wifi enabled, you will never get any better with this phone. If it's draining rapidly, chances are, it's something YOU have caused with an app keeping the phone awake. Majority of the time it's simply placebo.

I could easily drain this phone from 100% to 0% in around 3 hours no problem, in any rom.

Been using sej's n220+ for the last couple of days, everything is quite smooth. Aside from notification LED issues, really disappointed by the battery life which was isn't up to what i've come to expect from earlier releases of gsf.

Care to explain what 'issues'? because I have heard nothing on the subject.

Edited by ididmytime

Guest targetbsp

Care to explain what 'issues'? because I have heard nothing on the subject.

There are no bugs I've encountered with the LED's either. I've seen people mention that bugs in Handcent and Facebook are messing up their use of the LED's. That's hardly the roms fault though?

Guest Kamikaze.

Finally found out what the hell's wrong withmy phone(unstability, reboots etc.)! The friggin' SD card! I think my Nokia 4gb micro sd is somehow corrupted or something. In the morning i was strugglng with my phone, cause it couldnt boot properly(just froze after a while...). Then i tried to boot it without the sd, and found out it was running clear. Im using now the card I got with my Blade(only 2gigs...) and evrrythng works!

Guest hugobosslives

Thanks! Ruined it. :D

:D

we are so on the same wavelength. love it :)

By good care do you mean conservative number of charge cycles? Or anything special? ;)

You are spot on! I forgot to mention 'charge cycles'. I read somewhere I think it's this forum itself, that average charge cycle for our blades are 300-320 after which it will start losing the optimum capacity of charge it holds. Something to do with the hexagons getting degenerated (lay men's terms this are!)

Erm nothing special. Just simple things like trying not to leave it fully charged (and still plugged in) for too long (eg overnight); Not letting it go completely dead (under 5%) too often but still letting it go through proper cycles (eg if you use to 40% everyday and charge every night, it will only ever go 100>40>100>40>100 etc which is bad for the battery) you should cycle it too 10% at least every 2 weeks. When going on holiday for ages (and not taking phone, eg asia) not leaving the battery either dead (<5%) or full (>95%). Not using it too intensively while it's charging (as when it's charging hot (or is generally really hot) it hurts the battery more). And then not being a general massive power user. for example when i sleep airplane mode, 2g when screen off, which means that generally i only charge every 2-3 days which means i will have charged it half the number of times as someone who charges every day.

Generally modern phone battery will last 300-500 cycles (depending on how well they have been taken care off)

NB: i typed that pretty quick so sorry if it doesn't make sense at points

Guest julianpaul

What is up with people moaning about the battery? Incase you haven't noticed, you have an extremely budget phone with a weak battery. It is entirely down to you, as a user, to decide what you want from this phone. If you want it to last for ages, underclock it to 480mhz, reduce screen brightness and stop making it sync with FB and email all the time. If you are losing around 10% at night with wifi enabled, you will never get any better with this phone. If it's draining rapidly, chances are, it's something YOU have caused with an app keeping the phone awake. Majority of the time it's simply placebo.

I could easily drain this phone from 100% to 0% in around 3 hours no problem, in any rom.

These issues have nothing to do with the blade being a 'cheap' phone. The point is people who've been getting 2-3 days of runtime on older 2.3.5 roms are getting only a day or so on 2.3.7. We need to find out what the cause is and fix it. Can we narrow it down to battery calibration?

Guest ididmytime

These issues have nothing to do with the blade being a 'cheap' phone. The point is people who've been getting 2-3 days of runtime on older 2.3.5 roms are getting only a day or so on 2.3.7. We need to find out what the cause is and fix it. Can we narrow it down to battery calibration?

2-3 days of runtime is unrealistic for this phone, unless it's barely touched.

Everyone's phone set up is different, also the way they install their rom, and recover apps/data is different. So many factors could occur which could cause even a slight drain in the phone which would lead people to believe the rom isn't as good as others, even the battery indicator isn't reliable sometimes. It's incredibly difficult to find any cause of a person phone drain because of this, unless it is widespread, and unfortunately for you at this current time it's not.

The only recent time users had issues with battery drain was when FM Radio was being patched in. If there was anything like that in the stable release it would have more then likely been discovered by now. Battery life has not been an issue for a good while now.

Adjust the phone to make it last longer, go into the battery history and find out what things you can do to improve it's life. I still think people should lower their expectations of how long this phone can last under normal circumstances.