[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Richard_Arkless

Hi I have found a bug in Nightly 241 where the gui for barcode scanner and google goggles is rendering strangely, ive disabled 16bit transparency and rebooted but still the same problem occurs

Is anyone else having this problem and if so has it been fixed in 242

Ive taken some screenshots but everytime it comes out black

EDIT: works fine under Sej's 24th october build

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest LorianNod

it is how you use the rom that makes it good or bad on battery. I'm saying it will perform pretty much exactly as any other rom when you don't have apps getting upto mischievous behavior (such as using data) and lots of cm7 annimations and features running the whole time.

Sure how you use your phone and what apps you run and how much data you use will all effect the battery drain.

BUT if you consider for those of us whos usage profile and installed apps remain close to constant, the OS can be seen to make a difference from time to time. For example based on my experience nightlies from around 206 (IIRC) are especialy good for drain. 210* was not so good, 227 was better 241 appears not so special.

These issues (for me at least) don't releate to screen brightness, or partial wakelocks, or anything else very obvious, otherwise we could give the devs the info to fix the problem. Someone will come up with the reason soon I'm sure, they usually do, as we've had similar discussions a few times in this thread already.......

*Kang build

Guest Isidorosis

Isn't SIM lock embedded into your SIM card instead of phone settings? Probably tablet tweaks is not right option to disable SIM-PIN.

I 'll say it again from the beginning.

I want to have the lock-screen disabled and any password for the device (tablet tweaks > disable lock-screen does that)

But the problem is when I go on flight mode and then off, it never asks for the sim-pin code

This means no mobile network connected and I have to manually enable lock-screen > put the sim-pin code > then disable lock-screen again

A possible solution is to turn off sim-pin code.. but I don't want to do that

Guest ShahinTehShiz

jKDSq.png

Just flashed Nightly 241 yesterday (After moving from CM7 Stable 7.1) SO much better battery, I haven't calibrated it yet, and I have Whatsapp, Kik, Maps, Evernote, Facebook and Seesmic syncing in the background periodically.

Oh and I still have 42% Left!

Guest rockstarszzzz

I 'll say it again from the beginning.

I want to have the lock-screen disabled and any password for the device (tablet tweaks > disable lock-screen does that)

But the problem is when I go on flight mode and then off, it never asks for the sim-pin code

This means no mobile network connected and I have to manually enable lock-screen > put the sim-pin code > then disable lock-screen again

A possible solution is to turn off sim-pin code.. but I don't want to do that

I'm pretty sure CM7 doesn't have an option to keep that sim-pin on while toggling air plane mode. As you rightly said, disabling lock screen, will disable all kinds of locks - pin, phone, SIM.

yes i found interactive to be pretty bad as far as battery life goes, ondemand is still the best - better than smartass2 even i think.

try my 24oct build (mirrored somewhere in this thread) its got all the bling of n220+ and some newer updates. note that you will probably have to reconfigure a lot of the power applet settings though (brightness etc.) and miui battery bar.

found your 24Oct build here thanks

http://www.multiupload.com/MIGJSDGY9W

Edited by Smiff2

people seem to have this general assumption that cm7 is crap on battery. which is wrong.

it is how you use the rom that makes it good or bad on battery. I'm saying it will perform pretty much exactly as any other rom when you don't have apps getting upto mischievous behavior (such as using data) and lots of cm7 annimations and features running the whole time.

But different CM7 builds have way different batter eating rate.

The last one was terrible for me, i went back to N22X.

Guest popoyaya

lol! I've been drinking :D 3 or 4. :D

OK, here goes my list of frozen apps which I either don't use or have alternatives of:

Android Live Wallpaper

Books

Calculator

Calendar

Calendar Storage

Car Home

Clock

CM Stats

both tmobile themes

CM Update Notifications

CM Wallpapers

Dev Tools

Downloads

DSP Manager

Email

File manager

FM radio

FOTA Kill

Google Calendar Sync

Google One Time Init

Google Partner Setup

Home Screen Tips

HTML Viewer

Latin Input Method Tutorial

Live Wallpaper Picker

Magic Smoke Wallpaper

Market Apps Installer

Market Updater

Music

Music Visualization Wallpaper

My Uploads

New & Weather

Search

Search Apps Provider

Setup Wizard

SIM Toolkit

Sound Recorder

Talk

Theme Chooser

Themes Provider

Voice Dialler

VPN Services

I use GAPPS package from June (I like the old market) and only other GAPP I add is Maps. Which I have removed all startup events for using Autostarts so it only runs when I tell it to.

I also stop the following from loading on startup. These are apps I use but don't have the need to have loaded all the time:

Rom Manager

Gallery (note this app doesn't work well if its events are disabled! I just use it only very rarely)

Bluetooth Share

My startup process on a clean boot are:

Swype

com.google.process.gapps

dialler

android system

tasker

android.process.acore

adw ex

widgestoid

settings

market

titanium backup

gallery (huh. I guess breaking it by disabling its events is kinda pointless if it finds a way to load anyway. :D )

cerberus

android.process.media

samba filesharing

adaway

superuser

messaging status bar

I typically run 2g with data off and manually switch to 3g and data on when I'm away from wifi and need data.

My tasker profiles that affect power are to airplane it at a set time over night and turn the wifi on and off with the screen.

On Demand CPU Governor overclocked to 729Mhz

Good info here.

How precisely would you go about modifying a rom to this state before flashing it? I tried deleting lots of system apps, wallpapers, sounds, etc from an update.zip but it wouldn't boot, got stuck in boot animation.

Guest sandriderman

My battery usage on N241. 3g left on overnight, phone not used at all other than to check the battery life 2 or 3 times. ROM installed with full wipe, the only apps that were installed are K9 mail, drop box, battery calibration, launcher pro, CPU spy and a theme. Only 1 widget added to home screen (Fancy Widget Pro). Today, after another full charge I have had similar performance.

Not sure why the CPU Spy screen shot, the total hours don't add up to 12 Hours 24 minutes.

For some reason on the graph for awake, the phone keeps showing as awake.

WIFI was off. No over clock.

As I have previously stated I can manage my phone with tasker to get better performance, just having a play with my phone to get to the bottom of the battery problems.

Cheers

I installed N242 last night, full wipe including battary stats in clockwork, no GAPPS, no accounts linked to phone, nothing installed and background data not ticked. 3g left on. Went from 100% to 78% in 10 hours 13 minutes (which is very good for me) (left image).

The right image was from the previous night (see quoted text).

post-797180-0-95371300-1320131161_thumb.

post-797180-0-10083400-1320131407_thumb.

Edited by sandriderman

Phone on airplane mode (not mine). screenshot-1316357650916.png

well, you can get the best battery drain with blade turned off, I think then it would be possible for years... but does this make sense?!

Guest targetbsp

Good info here.

How precisely would you go about modifying a rom to this state before flashing it? I tried deleting lots of system apps, wallpapers, sounds, etc from an update.zip but it wouldn't boot, got stuck in boot animation.

You're best doing it using apps because then you only have to do it once. The fact they are frozen and/or disabled in autostarts is remembered across rom updates (as long as you don't wipe data!). If you do it in the zip, you'd have to do it every update.

If you do want to do it in a zip then you should be able to by just opening the zip and deleting the files (not unzipping, then rezipping) If it's then not booting, I can only assume you;ve deleted something you shouldn't have?

Guest dibbles

For a while both me and my wife leave 3G switched off on our phones and we have found that the battery life is quite good. We tend to get up to four days usage before needing a recharge. However if the 3G is left on, we only use it for MMS, the battery drain is horrendous. Even just leaving the phone on standby with 3G still enabled you can count the hours of usage on the phones rather than days.

No big deal, as such, for us as we both use 3G very little but I can imagine it to be a big problem for some who do.

Guest MidaMilunk

Hi I have found a bug in Nightly 241 where the gui for barcode scanner and google goggles is rendering strangely, ive disabled 16bit transparency and rebooted but still the same problem occurs

Is anyone else having this problem and if so has it been fixed in 242

Ive taken some screenshots but everytime it comes out black

EDIT: works fine under Sej's 24th october build

hmmm... barcode reader is OK for me, I do not use googles... but, I have tried two dialers (go dialer, and DW dialer), both have had artifacts with 16 bit transparency, so I have turned it off, and reboot - all artifacts has gone! I think I return to dialer one, and 16 bit, these work fine together!

I installed N242 last night, full wipe including battary stats in clockwork, no GAPPS, no accounts linked to phone, nothing installed and background data not ticked. 3g left on. Went from 100% to 78% in 10 hours 13 minutes (which is very good for me) (left image).

The right image was from the previous night (see quoted text).

Right image is of which nightly? 241?

Guest Richard_Arkless

hmmm... barcode reader is OK for me, I do not use googles... but, I have tried two dialers (go dialer, and DW dialer), both have had artifacts with 16 bit transparency, so I have turned it off, and reboot - all artifacts has gone! I think I return to dialer one, and 16 bit, these work fine together!

Are you running Nightly 241 or later (assuming the problem is still in 242) because thats when it shows up, any previous builds and sej's 24th october rom is fine

Guest wishmasterf

Best setting for low battery usage:

* Use 2G instead of 3G

* Use data-connection only when needed

* Set Brightness to low

* Search for apps with "Partial Wake usage" (Use spare parts to see)

I do have about 15 % browser usage (with 3G) and 3% Phone usage. Overall usage is about 20% of the time. I get a battery life about 25 hours.

Guest steeperton

For a while both me and my wife leave 3G switched off on our phones and we have found that the battery life is quite good. We tend to get up to four days usage before needing a recharge. However if the 3G is left on, we only use it for MMS, the battery drain is horrendous. Even just leaving the phone on standby with 3G still enabled you can count the hours of usage on the phones rather than days.

No big deal, as such, for us as we both use 3G very little but I can imagine it to be a big problem for some who do.

Could it be related to your 3g signal strength? AS mentioned, I get several days worth with 3g switched on all the time, but I do have the antenna at the end of my road, so the signal is strong. If you're in a poor signal strength area, then I suspect it'll use more juice to connect?

Guest wishmasterf

Could it be related to your 3g signal strength? AS mentioned, I get several days worth with 3g switched on all the time, but I do have the antenna at the end of my road, so the signal is strong. If you're in a poor signal strength area, then I suspect it'll use more juice to connect?

Is do have the same "problem". The phone shows me full signal.Is there a way to see more data about the signal strength?

Guest downloader50

Is do have the same "problem". The phone shows me full signal.Is there a way to see more data about the signal strength?

Cyanogen setting you can change the battery symbol to show db

goto

settings / cyanogen settings / interface / staus bar tweaks / alternative signal display / signal text

Edited by downloader50

Guest brickornot

Best setting for low battery usage:

* Use 2G instead of 3G

* Use data-connection only when needed

* Set Brightness to low

* Search for apps with "Partial Wake usage" (Use spare parts to see)

I do have about 15 % browser usage (with 3G) and 3% Phone usage. Overall usage is about 20% of the time. I get a battery life about 25 hours.

no, doing all of this does not help.

Guest jackal-sk

I can't seem to find wifi sleep policy settings, they've been removed ?

When I'm connected to wifi the phone sleeps, when I start pinging it, it wakes up (can wake up by buttons) for the time communicating . Does this mean when there's no network activity the wifi won't drain the battery ? I liked Turn wifi off when screen goes off.

I'm on n241, properly calibrated, 3rd cycle and so far the battery seems -very- promising with my usual usage (I never use 3g, it probably still drains very fast). I will post stats later.

Also it's a shame that many people posting here just write how terrible is the battery life etc. but in the same post they write they "measure" it in their 1st cycle right after flashing, some not even wiping batt. stats and some posting 20 posts later that in fact their phone wasn't sleeping...

Guest targetbsp

I can't seem to find wifi sleep policy settings, they've been removed ?

When I'm connected to wifi the phone sleeps, when I start pinging it, it wakes up (can wake up by buttons) for the time communicating . Does this mean when there's no network activity the wifi won't drain the battery ? I liked Turn wifi off when screen goes off.

Just checking you know the correct procedure to get to it because it is (and always has been) cryptic!

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wi-fi Settings. Here's where it gets weird... press menu and hit advanced.

When set to screen off, it actually disconnects 15 minutes after the screen off. Not immediately.

Guest lordofangels

someone living quite close to a cell tower will use a lot less power/battery for radio/data than someone living far from one.

so if you are comparing battery levels the cell tower distance with 3g must be taken in to consideration.

2g not so bad but 3g is a power monster.

and folks are looking forward to LTE?

Guest BurgerZ

I have strange "double screen" effect on 241/242 nightly with "Barcode Scanner" app. It looks like asyncronous pictures on old Tvs (text is placing both on top and bottom of screen).

Can somebody test this app?