[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest gomes29

And about the proximity sensor on calls? Is this related? cause after a call the screen stays off and the light only appears when the other person turn off the call... it let me thinking that the proximity values are wrong too... sorry for my ignorance, i'm a little newbie.. thanks a lot for the help btw

Guest targetbsp

i've given up, i tried the recommended values light in this thread and they're too dark indoors and not bright enough outdoors, i've tried the defaults and the default/calibrated proximity values and now i'm just sticking with full brightness and turning off autobrightness.

tom_g said at one point that the sensor usage involved in autobrightness probably offset the backlight savings anyway.

The defaults frequented reposted in the thread won't work with the new sensor values? You'll have to come up with new ones for the new readings. Or has someone already posted some and they're not working for you?

Just wonder around various levels of light noting the sensor reading and the brightness you want for that reading. That's what I did even with the old sensor readouts. Mine look nothing like the recommended defaults that keep getting posted in this thread. Those defaults did work fine for me but mine suit my personal needs more. :)

Guest targetbsp

And about the proximity sensor on calls? Is this related? cause after a call the screen stays off and the light only appears when the other person turn off the call... it let me thinking that the proximity values are wrong too... sorry for my ignorance, i'm a little newbie.. thanks a lot for the help btw

You have to calibrate the sensor in under settings -> device settings.

I commented on this at gerrit, but will post here too for more dicussion. With the latest kernel patchset which is also in sej's build the autobrightness is kinda tricky to say at least. The sensor values are now between 0..255(?) and ofc the settings need to be updated accordingly. But in addition, I've bumped into some problems with it. I used to get some readings in dim or almost dark room, now I just get a -1 and this causes the screen to stay at whatever the brightness was when the screen was on last time. So it seems to me, the threshold between no light and some light should be a bit more sensitive.

Also if I put the sensor under shade when in bright light (using a hand for instance) and wait for the reading to drop, and then quickly removing the shade exposing the sensor to full light again, the reading stays at the lower level. It seems like if the reading jumps up too much too fast, the new reading is just ignored.

To quickly sum it up, the change with light sensor/auto brightness is ok if you know what to do with it, but to me it seems like if you're in a too bright or too dark light, the sensor values are ignored. As if the scale wasn't wide enough?

Any thoughts anyone?

Guest targetbsp

sej's build 257+ light sensor/auto brightness don't work (zte v880 256mb RAM China Unicom) ((

If you read back the past few pages you'll find lots of discussion on this. Specifically you'll need to change the custom light values under cm settings -> display -> auto backlight -> edit other levels to match the new sensor output. I don't think anyone has posted up any values yet so you'll need to work them out yourself by walking around various light sources and setting the appropriate screen brightness for that sensor reading. Or just use manual until the whole thing is at a more advanced stage of development. :)

Guest zardari

If you read back the past few pages you'll find lots of discussion on this. Specifically you'll need to change the custom light values under cm settings -> display -> auto backlight -> edit other levels to match the new sensor output. I don't think anyone has posted up any values yet so you'll need to work them out yourself by walking around various light sources and setting the appropriate screen brightness for that sensor reading. Or just use manual until the whole thing is at a more advanced stage of development. :)

ok, thank's friend! :)

Guest MidaMilunk

ok, thank's friend! :)

Good luck for this! My latest experience is, that sometimes it works (gives very different data range than ever before) sometimes not (gives -1 in the set-auto-brightness-levels menu, nothing for Elixir).

I have got no humor to restat, but the provided range surely can not be modified with restarts or calibrations, I believe that the not-work/work state depends on uptime... not strictly of course, but something can happen with time, what stops the sensor working. Proximity is OK all the time.

Guest sej7278

Good luck for this! My latest experience is, that sometimes it works (gives very different data range than ever before) sometimes not (gives -1 in the set-auto-brightness-levels menu, nothing for Elixir).

I have got no humor to restat, but the provided range surely can not be modified with restarts or calibrations, I believe that the not-work/work state depends on uptime... not strictly of course, but something can happen with time, what stops the sensor working. Proximity is OK all the time.

i've turned off auto-brightness and just have the notification power widget to select between 25% (save battery), 50% (indoors) and 100% (sunshine/darkness)

it seems tom_g has given up trying to find a balance that works, although now it seems worse than ever which is a shame.

apparently cm7.2 is the last gingerbread release, so most work will go into ICS now, i expect everything will kind of drop off for a couple of months.

how long until we start pestering ZTE for 3.0 kernel source? :D have they even got an ics device planned?

i've turned off auto-brightness and just have the notification power widget to select between 25% (save battery), 50% (indoors) and 100% (sunshine/darkness)

it seems tom_g has given up trying to find a balance that works, although now it seems worse than ever which is a shame.

apparently cm7.2 is the last gingerbread release, so most work will go into ICS now, i expect everything will kind of drop off for a couple of months.

how long until we start pestering ZTE for 3.0 kernel source? :D have they even got an ics device planned?

I was thinking of sticking with the older kernel as it was all good for me (patchset 1 was ok btw, didn't test ps2). I just hope the new kernel will satisfy most of the users if it gets merged. Currently I get -1 if it's not bright enough and if it's too bright, the value just gets lost in space.. We'll see how it goes?

Guest sej7278

I was thinking of sticking with the older kernel as it was all good for me (patchset 1 was ok btw, didn't test ps2). I just hope the new kernel will satisfy most of the users if it gets merged. Currently I get -1 if it's not bright enough and if it's too bright, the value just gets lost in space.. We'll see how it goes?

yes, i think i'll be taking a backup of the old (current) kernel or the patch1, in case this new patch3 gets merged. the new 5mp camera support means nothing to me.

i'm trying to figure out which github code we're using in the current nightlies, i guess its this one from gerrit (build lights lib from source) from oct 8th, which i suspect ties in with this one from github (led's/smartass2) which is before all the new camera/taos code.

edit: yes that's the github commit for the current kernel based on the extracted config:

./extract-ikconfig nightly_kernel |grep Oct

# Sat Oct  8 13:05:39 2011
this github commit is patch1 from gerrit:
 ./extract-ikconfig patch1_kernel |grep Oct

# Wed Oct 26 20:41:46 2011

Edited by sej7278

Guest dirlan2001

Seems you guy's are so addicted to coding that you believe you can steer a sensor by a 'listing'... Best way to calibrate your light and proximity is laying the phone flat on a table, open the calibration and flood the phone with the strongest torch one can find. I did it with a 2.000.000 candela torch and cover it one or two times with your finger, it reads an incredible high value, but then you're set. And I've no issues at all with light or proximity :)

:D

Guest targetbsp

Seems you guy's are so addicted to coding that you believe you can steer a sensor by a 'listing'... Best way to calibrate your light and proximity is laying the phone flat on a table, open the calibration and flood the phone with the strongest torch one can find. I did it with a 2.000.000 candela torch and cover it one or two times with your finger, it reads an incredible high value, but then you're set. And I've no issues at all with light or proximity :)

As far as I know we are trying to find working replacement values for these: http://android.modaco.com/topic/335328-cyanogenmod-7-android-237-is-now-gen-2-only/page__st__9620__p__1822507#entry1822507 for the new light sensor outputs. You'll note that it is a list. :D Not trying to calibrate it.

Guest Kamikaze.

Is it possible, that all these cool features(like cm settings, themes etc.) Will be in CM9? I mean that the "code could be ported" or something like that...?

Guest dirlan2001

As far as I know we are trying to find working replacement values for these: http://android.modac...07#entry1822507 for the new light sensor outputs. You'll note that it is a list. :D Not trying to calibrate it.

Exactly what I mean.... you realise you are trying to force a sensor to translate it's readings into values to pick from a listing and then send the 'corrected' values to the light-switch ? Guess you'll need a seperate computer to do the math then...

Guest sej7278

Is it possible, that all these cool features(like cm settings, themes etc.) Will be in CM9? I mean that the "code could be ported" or something like that...?

i'm pretty sure all of that stuff will remain, the main work i expect for cm9 will be graphics drivers and fudging the 2.6.35 kernel to work with it (as we have no 3.0 kernel ics phones from zte).

i'd say ics is going to be cyanogenmod's biggest challenge to date, as they're likely to have devices running 4.0 before anyone outside google does.

Guest targetbsp

Exactly what I mean.... you realise you are trying to force a sensor to translate it's readings into values to pick from a listing and then send the 'corrected' values to the light-switch ? Guess you'll need a seperate computer to do the math then...

I don't think I understand you. I'm not trying to force a sensor to do anything. The sensor tells me how bright the ambient light is. That list tells the phone how bright to set the screen for specific sensor values. It in no way influences the sensor - it only influences the screen brightness.

To configure it you make the first entry light level obscenely high so it's always active so you can enter screen brightnesses onto the one line for simplicities sake. Then you wonder around a few common light sources and check the light level on the custom screen. Make a note of it, play with some screen brightnesses to find one comfortable for that level of ambient light, note that. Move onto the next source and repeat. Then enter all the levels into the custom light screen. Took me about 2 minutes to do and has worked perfectly since.

There's no maths to do.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest MidaMilunk

Maybe I should ask this somewhere else, please redirect me in this case:

After upgrading ROM manager (not the recovery itself - so no flashing), I almost always get "checksum error" when trying to restore a full nandroid backup. I am pretty sure that the backup is OK, I can extract anything - restore apps/data one-by one, but can not use the backup what it is for.

Anyone experiences the same? Is there anything I can do to avoid this?

OK just tried N256+ and looks like same issue camera sensor still recorded in spare parts as open for 3 minutes after i shut it down Should it stop using as soon as you shut the camera down?

This is interesting. I've been following the recent posts about excessive battery drain but never experienced it myself until last week when we where away on holidays. I had Wifi-OFF and 3Gdata-OFF and experienced about 60% battery drain overnight. I killed all the suspects like G--gle and Fa--b--k processes but the drain continued. The clue I got to the drain was in 'Spare Parts' under 'sensors' and it showed continuous use by 'GPS Status' and also long, but eventually terminated, use by 'Camera'. 'GPS Status' is a well-know app that I use occasionally. This app did not appear to be running when I looked in 'running applications'.

The only way I stopped this battery drain was to wipe the caches and reboot.

I'm sure there is a clue here somewhere for the very high battery drain the people see with CM7 on occasion.

Bill.

(using CM7.1 Stable)

Guest Amphoras

After upgrading ROM manager (not the recovery itself - so no flashing), I almost always get "checksum error" when trying to restore a full nandroid backup. I am pretty sure that the backup is OK, I can extract anything - restore apps/data one-by one, but can not use the backup what it is for.

Did you rename the backup? If so, remove any spaces from the new name you gave it.

Guest targetbsp

Never had that. Got the latest clockwork 5.0.2.0? When both the new clockwork and Rom Manager came out each had issues. You're obviously keeping your Rom Manager up to date but did you with clockwork itself?