[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest k.d.11

A gpu benchmark, ie something that stresses mostly the gpu and is barely dependant upon the CPU, should be the thing where you'd most easily see the benefits of a GPU core overclock. A game is going to be far more CPU bound. I'm more suspecting you're seeing the benefits of something else being overclocked - but not the GPU core.

Which from 133 to an alleged 350 was fairly unlikely anyway. I wonder if people are just seeing benefits from the overclocked bus?

Ah GPU benchmarks :) its possible about the bus but isn't there a way to check locally at what clock the gpu is running currently ? that should confirm whether the overclock works..?

Edit: have you tried msi afterburner i heard there was an android app release of that no sorry just checked not for phones..thats for something else

Edited by k.d.11

Guest targetbsp

Ah GPU benchmarks :)

Sorry, yeah, I didn't specify GPU benchmarks did I. I was playing with Adrenos own neocore and also an OpenGL one because Wbaw had specifically mentioned openGL boosts

Edited by targetbsp

Guest k.d.11

That's also a fairly bad case for GPU overclocking if you read the thread. :D He removed the feature because it made no difference lol.

Haha no that was general not for the GPU OC :P

Edit: i was the one who asked why he reverted btw :P

Edited by k.d.11

Guest iNoobz2Droid

GTRacing hd clear improvement..smooth no lag at all compared to performance on pre gpu axi patches Even the way the first page of the market scrolls was a notable difference for me. Dont trust benchmarks..and squadzone's new kang at xda is pretty fast with many customizable options and his kernel i think its worth checking out

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1532921

does it has the undervoltage build into kernel?

because with my undervoltage kernel and light usage my blade is still at 50% power after more than 7 days

Guest emc02

does it has the undervoltage build into kernel?

because with my undervoltage kernel and light usage my blade is still at 50% power after more than 7 days

there is no UV in the newest kernel, because it doesn't work or doesn't have any noticeable effect

btw: are you using your blade, or is it just turned on in airplane mode to check how long it can last in this unused state?

Guest saransh9

Originally Posted by thesofty

Wbaw, are you sure that overclocking is really working?? I mean a 3 fold clockspeed increase is pretty big for something that isn't even actively cooled like a phone. Also i found this thread, which might interest you if you didnt knew this already http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=710850

Best regards

Wbaw's reply

Pretty sure it is. Standard stock speed is 122.88, it was overclocked up to 160mhz gpu/200mhz axi by kallt kaffe's old ahb/axi overclocking patch. I set it to half cpu speed for axi & ahb buses & the gpu set to axi bus speed. There was a comment in the code where the gpu was limited to 160mhz that said it was done to save power & oems could set it higher for better performance, it suggested setting it to the max axi bus speed - however the gpu has to run at the same speed as the axi bus (according to the next comment in the code) & that was set to 122.88 mhz (or 200mhz after kallt's patch).

I was amazed it works at those speeds too, I only tried it because I misunderstood what the stock speed should be due to kallt kaffe's previous overclocking patch.

I can see a definite improvement in opengl performance, 3d games run smoother, launcher transition effects are smoother, scrolling is smoother. Street Fighter 2 in Mame was about 8fps & unplayable for me before, now it's 15-30fps. Similar improvements in other games. No more jerky launcher animations.

Sometimes some manufacturers intentionally underclock their cheaper cpus & gpus so that they can produce one chip & sell to more customers at more different price points to make more money. Maybe it was clocked lower to save some power. There could be a few reasons it was set to a much lower speed than it is capable of.

Other qualcomm gpus in other phones can get some extreme looking overclocks too. The Adreno 220 apparently overclocks up to 400mhz.

That's an old thread you've found, hopefully they've worked it out now.

Guest targetbsp

Does anyone have any suggestions for test games I can just download off the market and play? :D

[edit]

Actually I do have a copy of Eternal Legacy I got in a buy one get one free offer from gameloft if it's mostly these big gameloft 3d games that are benefiting. Anyone tried that one before I spend an hour letting it download? :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest saransh9

Does anyone have any suggestions for test games I can just download off the market and play? :D

[edit]

Actually I do have a copy of Eternal Legacy I got in a buy one get one free offer from gameloft if it's mostly these big gameloft 3d games that are benefiting. Anyone tried that one before I spend an hour letting it download? :D

I can try eternal legacy but not any time soon may be tomorrow

Guest emc02

with antutu benchmark I get sometimes 300 points on 2D Performance and in the next test about 150 points, dont know why ;)

everything else is constant...

Edited by emc02

Guest iNoobz2Droid

there is no UV in the newest kernel, because it doesn't work or doesn't have any noticeable effect

btw: are you using your blade, or is it just turned on in airplane mode to check how long it can last in this unused state?

no its not in airplane mode

i have from time to time 2g activated and gps is always turned off (phone is always on)

i used it last week for 3 short calls and some minutes (maybe 30-40) www browsing using opera mini and email on 2g 50% left after a week

Edited by iNoobz2Droid

Guest targetbsp

with antutu benchmark I get sometimes 300 points on 2D Performance and in the next test about 150 points, dont know why ;)

everything else is constant...

I got exactly the same in a test a few days ago! I wonder if this might in fact be messing up my attempts to test this vaguely 'scientifically'.

On the previous page, now edited out, I made a post about how an OpenGL test produced 45fps on the old kernel and 60fps on the new. I was never again able to get the new one to do 60fps though! The performance from it seems inconsistent which might be why I'm unconvinced by it.

Guest mitchde

Hi i now use BurgerZ ROM 05 march. No probs, fast + low battery usage.

Can it be that some newest kernel (comes from burstlam?) has the sideeffect that CPUSPY 0.4 cant see any Mhz usage?

Meens non of the MHz is shown as used over the time.

Guest targetbsp

Can it be that some newest kernel (comes from burstlam?) has the sideeffect that CPUSPY 0.4 cant see any Mhz usage?

Meens non of the MHz is shown as used over the time.

Yes, that feature is broken in newer kernels.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

I can try eternal legacy but not any time soon may be tomorrow

I tried it and couldn't see a difference. It runs smooth for me on the old roms. I think the problem is that whilst i'm quite a gamer (I have 70 games and have spent more on games than the phone cost!) - I don't actually have any that run slow to need speeded up! I've only got one 3d game that will show me the fps and it says it's the same on both kernels. The rest I can't see a difference between with my eyes.

But I mostly restrict my heavy weight games to my gaming PC and favour strategy, management and puzzle platformers on the phone. Not really GPU intensive stuff I guess.

Guest saransh9

I tried it and couldn't see a difference. It runs smooth for me on the old roms. I think the problem is that whilst i'm quite a gamer (I have 70 games and have spent more on games than the phone cost!) - I don't actually have any that run slow to need speeded up! I've only got one 3d game that will show me the fps and it says it's the same on both kernels. The rest I can't see a difference between with my eyes.

But I mostly restrict my heavy weight games to my gaming PC and favour strategy, management and puzzle platformers on the phone. Not really GPU intensive stuff I guess.

i guess u should try games i wrote earlier i saw a great difference in them.

Guest cowscrubber

Seems to be really good.

But... Has it a way to add the ICS efects?

It already has ICS effects. You have to turn it on in CM settings.

Guest saransh9

maybe we will be able to run gta3 well with the gpu oc ;)

Nice idea will try it right now

Anyway it ran even before but used to lag in high traffic region

Guest adrien56

Nice idea will try it right now

Anyway it ran even before but used to lag in high traffic region

Can you give a feedback about your test in gta3 if it runs better than before ?

Thank you

Guest ogy_j

for me uv kernel works... i'm using my phone for playing music for about 2h per days (2x1h in the train)

with uv kernel 1h, i'm losing 3-5% of the battery

without uv kernel 1h, i'm losing 10-12% of the battery...

same setting (smartassv2, oc 672mhz), full wipe on each install

Guest targetbsp

Perhaps someone will bring it back as an option to flash in CWM or something. I'm not set up to compile kernels I'm afraid, only roms - so it won't be me!

Edited by targetbsp