[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest gerardfarrell

Am I supposed to get a completely bright green screen for a second or so every time the display rotates? I'm currently on targetbsp's 07 May build but I think this has happened pretty much since the start of the year when I was on sej's January builds. Not really a complaint as it is just a momentary blip, but just curious that I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

Also, all CM7s I ever tried won't record video in anything better that VGA. SS5 used to give me something like 800x480 using LGCamera but on CM7 it always fails. I haven't found any other camera app that offers better than VGA video so I can't tell if it is an app problem or something in the ROM.

Guest targetbsp

No, you're not meant to get a bright green screen! It's meant to be the ICS rotation animation so I dunno what is going on there.

No idea about the camcorder. It's not something I use.

Guest Paden

Because people are after this change I compiled it in case there's no nightly tonight:

http://www.mediafire...t9lcud0ocf0sj1h

MD5#1bab9360d8f97e99bea2789568ae6bb0

Thanks for that targetbsp :)

Were the changes that Sej made to the locking ring animation ever incorpoarated into CM7 propper or you KANGS?

Cheers, Paul

Guest emppu67

hi,i get weird error in phone,when i try to call to the blade with this rom,its says the blade is busy with other call,hows that come,,?br

Guest gerardfarrell
No, you're not meant to get a bright green screen! It's meant to be the ICS rotation animation so I dunno what is going on there.

Hmmm - maybe a media file I deleted to free up some space. Thanks for the info. It'll probably fix itself next time I reflash.

Guest kjacek

First at all thank you for next build.

The difference is that if you delete a load of system apps, next time you update the rom those are back and you have to delete them again.

If however they are frozen, then when you update your rom they stay frozen so you never have to worry about it again.

I try this trick with user application (not system applications) and got boot looping. Is it true that we can freeze only system applications?

I need my phone quickly so I didn't perform any experiment but wipe to factory reset ;-(.

You will be able to use the volume keys to change cursor position while writing, so you don't need to waste time with selecting and moving the cursor with the touchscreen (which is hard on the Blade's small screen) :)

How to enable this feature? I suppose it is already in targetbsp latest build (from 4 June).

Guest dylan mckay

Am I supposed to get a completely bright green screen for a second or so every time the display rotates? I'm currently on targetbsp's 07 May build but I think this has happened pretty much since the start of the year when I was on sej's January builds. Not really a complaint as it is just a momentary blip, but just curious that I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

Also, all CM7s I ever tried won't record video in anything better that VGA. SS5 used to give me something like 800x480 using LGCamera but on CM7 it always fails. I haven't found any other camera app that offers better than VGA video so I can't tell if it is an app problem or something in the ROM.

In order to shoot movies in 800x480 resolution with CM7 you need to modify the file media_profiles.xml located in the folder /etc.

The layout of the file is pretty easy and straightforward and it shouldn’t be too hard for anybody with moderate computer skills to figure out what needs to be changed. If you don’t feel confident enough to dive into it, I’ve attached a copy of my file. Paste it into /etc and overwrite your current file. Make a backup of your own file if you feel like it. You need a file explorer with root permission, like Root Explorer or you can use some snazzy command in ADB or Terminal Emulator. Reboot the phone. You should now be able to record 800x480 video straight from the CM7 camera app.

I’ve fiddled around with media_profiles.xml quite a bit in order to try to get the phone to record with the highest quality possible. While I haven’t tried any resolution beyond 800x480 (I think I read somewhere it won’t work) I have tried a lot of different settings concerning bit rate and frame rate. It is possible to increase the bit rate to unimaginable levels producing very large files, but anything above around 3Mbits/s doesn’t seem to increase image quality at all. Unfortunately it seems impossible to force the phone to record with constant frame rate and thus the fps will vary heavily according to light, movement and possibly other factors. Trying to increase the maximum frame rate to anything above 30 fps/s will cause the camcorder to crash. People fiddling with the settings of other phones have suggested there may be a connection between the bit rate and the frame rate, where decreasing the bit rate may help the frame rate to increase, but it doesn’t really seem to be true for the Blade. You can also increase the audio bit rate more than I have done and get a more crisp sound, but this will possibly affect the video bit rate negatively. I haven’t really tried it out.

Something else that (negatively) affects the quality of the video is overclocking. One would think it would help the phone to record faster, but OC will actually just produce flicker while shooting video. To get flicker-free results you need to throttle down the processor to its default maximum speed of around 600 MHz. Another solution is to OC, but to change the governor to “performance”, thus locking the processor at maximum speed. This will also eliminate flicker and it indicates, I guess, that it is the throttling itself over a certain level that causes flicker. For some reason though I think recording at default maximum speed produces somewhat better results. I OC and use SmartassV2, but whenever I want to shoot video I try to remember to change back to default maximum speed.

Another factor that is likely to affect the quality of the video is the speed of the sd-card. I have a class 10 card.

Like I said quality will vary with light and movement. In daylight not moving around too violently I typically get crisp looking video with around 20 fps average. Indoors during daytime around 15-20 fps average. With less light quality drops drastically. It is nevertheless a huge improvement over stock video.

Using the attached xml-file will affect the CM7 camcorder app like this: The “high”-option will record video with 800x480 resolution and possibly the highest bit and frame rate the phone can currently produce. The “low”-option will produce CM7 stock resolution and quality.

Once you have modified the media_settings.xml recording in 800x480 should also work with LG and other camera apps.

I recommend MX Player with the codec pack for armv6 instead of the stock player. Use the HW decoder. With this player you can also measure the frame and bit rate.

Now after having stained the thread with this monster of an answer, I’d like to ask a question: Is there anybody out there who has managed to force the phone to record with constant bit rate or a variable bit rate that is close to 30 fps? It should be possible, but I think the frame rate is locked somewhere in the camera app or in the system. I’ve decompiled the camera app and looked through the xml-files, but haven’t really found anything usable and my programming and android skills are too poor to dig into the baksmali-files and anything beyond.

Oh yeah, one last thing: Be sure to apply these settings in the CM7 camera app. Contrast 3, Saturation 2, Sharpness 4. Changing theses values heavily affects the result and as far as I am concerned these are the best settings for crisp photos and video.

Don’t forget that the Blade camera suck, but the aforementioned changes really do make a difference and, under decent light conditions, make it possible to produce quite usable video (and photos).

media_profiles.xml

Guest ziyan
How to enable this feature? I suppose it is already in targetbsp latest build (from 4 June).

I think it should be somewhere in the keyboard settings (didn't have time to test it myself).

Edited by ziyan

Guest targetbsp

I try this trick with user application (not system applications) and got boot looping. Is it true that we can freeze only system applications?

I need my phone quickly so I didn't perform any experiment but wipe to factory reset ;-(.

I've frozen user applications before.

In my experience, any boot looping can often be cured by wiping the dalvik cache.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest jesuita

Hello,

After a week using CFX im back to the stability of CM7, CM9 its just not stable/smoother enough to be using it in a daily basis for me.

The last rom i had was Sej's 06.04.2012, is there anything after this?

Edit: installing lastest targetsbp's kang.

After reading the last pages, to those deleting apk's from the zip, do you crete you own tpt in order to increase data free space?

If so, which one? I would gladly win some more space... even though i've rarely run out of space.

To targetsbp: your latest kang has the new adreno libs or should i download them and flash them?

Edited by jesuita

Guest gerardfarrell
In order to shoot movies in 800x480 resolution with CM7 you need to modify the file media_profiles.xml located in the folder /etc.

...trimmed

Thanks Dylan - great post. It worked and I have hi-res videos again (even if the quality is pretty bad).

Guest dylan mckay

Getting excellent battery time. Below time is after two reboots to CWR :D mission accomplished :P

On Stock CM7 kernel the phone used to just sip battery life in hours....

Some of the features from Swedish Snow in your kernel sound really interesting. The overclocked gpu and axi bus for instance, do they exist in the stock CM7 kernel? Anyhow, how is the kernel working for you? Somebody mentioned above that the phone got unstable after a while, but not a lot of people seem to have tried the kernel out. Thanks.

...trimmed

Thanks Dylan - great post. It worked and I have hi-res videos again (even if the quality is pretty bad).

You are welcome.

Yeah I know, the quality is nothing to write home about. At least it looks decent on the screen of the phone itself and it is viewable on a small computer screen. Good light is compulsory though. Did you change the contrast, saturation and sharpness values in the CM7 camera app? Before I started messing with those values both photo and video were always pretty washed out.

Guest jesuita

Just noticed that auto brightness is not working as usual, im outside and the screen is dark as night.

I saw the post about changing manually the backlight settings. Is there any other way to change those auto brightness settings? Like a file from another rom, per example on Sej's i dindnt have this issue.

Guest targetbsp

There's no difference in the backlight settings. I presume the settings are stored in some apps data. Perhaps you'd previously set it in some distant past of CM7 and it had carried through all your upgrades and then when you just switched back to CM7 it didn't restore or something?

The only way I know is to enter them into that screen. It would have taken you less time than your post took to type. :D

Did you check your light sensor had a reading other than -1 ?

Guest kjacek

After reading the last pages, to those deleting apk's from the zip, do you crete you own tpt in order to increase data free space?

I had created partition 160MB for system. But I don't feel expert in this mather.

In spite of this if you want to increase data free space I would like recommend you very usefull program: s2e (simple2ext).

This program help us move applications and/or data to special ext partition on our SD card.

I had created ext4 partition on SD card using gparted on Linux but there are also different ways to do it.

I move to sd-ext partition applications, private applications and Dalvik cache. Applications data I store on standard place: /data/data.

s2e is very usefull I use this program all the time. But sometimes I have some problems when I use s2e.

I verified some things: if I don't use s2e my blade works like a charm, is really fast and stable. Disadvantage is that I cannot install lot of applications. Of course I use CM7 settings "allow for moving applications to SD card" then "Automatic".

If I use s2e my phone became a bit laggy and how to say ... unstable (but it is too strong word). Adventages are obvious - I can install much more applications.

I suppose that my problems with s2e are related to SD card. I have rather fast 16GB SD card.

Edited by kjacek

Guest kjacek

I've frozen user applications before.

In my experience, any boot looping can often be cured by wiping the dalvik cache.

I always wipe the Dalvik cache before flashing new rom. I also performed it last time when I had got boot looping and when I tried to cure it.

I suppose that my problems are related to s2e. Anyway thank you for answer.

Edited by kjacek

Guest targetbsp

I have to say, my phone has hung twice in the past week. I've gone to wake it up and it's just been dead and I have to take the battery out. Normally it's rock solid

The only really major change is I've started using Link2SD. Perhaps Ext partitions aren't all they've cracked up to be??

Guest jesuita

I had created partition 160MB for system. But I don't feel expert in this mather.

In spite of this if you want to increase data free space I would like recommend you very usefull program: s2e (simple2ext).

This program help us move applications and/or data to special ext partition on our SD card.

I had created ext4 partition on SD card using gparted on Linux but there are also different ways to do it.

I move to sd-ext partition applications, private applications and Dalvik cache. Applications data I store on standard place: /data/data.

s2e is very usefull I use this program all the time. But sometimes I have some problems when I use s2e.

I verified some things: if I don't use s2e my blade works like a charm, is really fast and stable. Disadvantage is that I cannot install lot of applications. Of course I use CM7 settings "allow for moving applications to SD card" then "Automatic".

If I use s2e my phone became a bit laggy and how to say ... unstable (but it is too strong word). Adventages are obvious - I can install much more applications.

I suppose that my problems with s2e are related to SD card. I have rather fast 16GB SD card.

Yeah, i've been using an ext partiton as well for some time now and i can say that sometimes i feel that "lag".. but maybe its just the phone running with many applications :)

Guest jesuita

There's no difference in the backlight settings. I presume the settings are stored in some apps data. Perhaps you'd previously set it in some distant past of CM7 and it had carried through all your upgrades and then when you just switched back to CM7 it didn't restore or something?

The only way I know is to enter them into that screen. It would have taken you less time than your post took to type. :D

Did you check your light sensor had a reading other than -1 ?

Where exactly do see this? -.-'

Guest jesuita

Also another thing that i dont like that much is the ring screen locker zoom animation when we unlock the phone, is there anyway to remove it? :P

Guest targetbsp

Where exactly do see this? -.-'

Same screen you enter the numbers for the autobrightness settings.

Also another thing that i dont like that much is the ring screen locker zoom animation when we unlock the phone, is there anyway to remove it? :P

All the options for unlocking are in Cm Settings -> Lockscreen -> Style Options. I use the old school Sliding Tab so I don't know the answer to your specific question but if you can't do it there then no you can't.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest kjacek

Yeah, i've been using an ext partiton as well for some time now and i can say that sometimes i feel that "lag".. but maybe its just the phone running with many applications :)

Sure, it can be. Or it can be matter of drivers.

If it is matter big number of appliications can be verified by flashing new rom with full wipe, turning on s2e and installing only few applications.

I have a filling that my phone became bit laggy just after installing and starting s2e. For me it is matter of time, I dream about having time to verify lot of things ;-).

Guest targetbsp

I have to say, I've noticed the opposite with Link2SD. My phone is MUCH less laggy as a result of using it. My preferred launcher (ADW) really does not like a lot of apps moved using Apps2SD, but seems quite happy with them on Ext.