[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest sej7278
Hi,

I think I need to adjust partitions as CM ROM is expanding in size. My phone was Gen1 and Upgraded to Gen2 by using wbaw's TPT method. Now wbaw's new version (v5) is available with system partition size 160MB.

Can I apply this TPT on my Upgraded Gen2 or I have to go back to Gen1 first (using old Gen2 to Gen1 TPT) and then Upgrade to Gen2 using v5?

all of wbaw's TPT's have a 160mb system - only data/cache have changed since his first release (n57?)

Guest immhayoung

It is using different version to the TPT System or Android 2.3.4. There are many using at Windows application file and Windows base cell phone.

Guest kol0bok
Wlan, 3G, calls, Messages are working. I experienced some issues with the GPS. There is no reboot but it wont start finding the satelites after a while. What I mean: I use Google Maps, Open Gps Tracker and navigon randomly everything works just fine. After a while I start one of those apps again and the GPS sign at the status bar shows up for about one second and than disappears again and no GPS information is avaiable.

Sounds familiar. I had a similar problem just a couple of days ago with N74. After some days without rebooting GPS suddenly refused to start (no status icon appeared and there wasn't anything suspicious in logcat output). 'GPS Status' seemed to wait for hardware response and didn't display any satellite. After reboot it worked immediately.

As for the other issues of N78, I cannot report high battery drain but strange dialer behavior. Is this the famous proximity sensor bug? Display is not turned off immediately but after some minutes and is not enabled again when the phone call ends. OTOH "Z Device info" reports proximity changes after a couple of seconds, ranging between 2cm (touching upper edge of the phone) and 5cm (skin is far away).

Guest paulocostavct

Hi.

Today happened something strange last night put my blade charging when i wake up i turned it on the led was green as always but it wasnt 100% charged so i connected the charger again and turned it off. After 1 hour the led still was red and when i turned it on the battery was even lower and now i cant get my battery on 100%. So whats up with this? Can i get some help? Im on n72 fixed and has been working fine.

Guest Pondlife
all of wbaw's TPT's have a 160mb system - only data/cache have changed since his first release (n57?)

That's wrong. The 4th one had 138mb system

128mb system is too small for cm7, it was 138 before, which was perfect.

But I was getting complaints from people wanting to do dumb things, like installing every possible google app to /system on cm7, installing stock roms, installing badly written themes & other addons for cm7, etc. If they try to do really dumb things like that & the system partition is too small, then it'll fail, worse than that clockwork wont tell them it's failed. So they complain to me.

So I'm sticking with 160mb now, it should be enough for all the stupid people around.

Guest ColdEmbrace

Is it worth having more than 138mb you say it is perfect. but if so why did wbaw make it bigger?

Guest Pondlife
Is it worth having more than 138mb you say it is perfect. but if so why did wbaw make it bigger?

I didn't say that he did :P

He was sick of people bugging him that it didn't work when they added the larger gapps from the forum or themes that didn't fit as he said in the quote in my last post.

Guest sej7278

So I'm sticking with 160mb now, it should be enough for all the stupid people around.

maybe he edited his post, it seems they all have 136/138mb system (140mb was to revert to gen1) except for v5 onwards which is 160mb.

curl66's all-in-ones are not using v5/160mb yet it seems, i've not had a problem with his n57/136mb though......

what is supposed to be the problem - 20110503 gapps fit fine for me?

Guest Len Ash
maybe he edited his post, it seems they all have 136/138mb system (140mb was to revert to gen1) except for v5 onwards which is 160mb.

curl66's all-in-ones are not using v5/160mb yet it seems, i've not had a problem with his n57/136mb though......

what is supposed to be the problem - 20110503 gapps fit fine for me?

Limiting the /system size limits the apps that can be installed via the ROM itself. Having extra headroom to allow ROM cookers to do this is a Good Thing and does not impact anything.

Unfortunately, wbaw decided it was funny or clever to have a pop at those of us who preloaded apps so users didn't have to. Apparently, we're stupid.

Edited by Len Ash

Guest sej7278
Limiting the /system size limits the apps that can be installed via the ROM itself. Having extra headroom to allow ROM cookers to do this is a Good Thing and does not impact anything.

Unfortunately, wbaw decided it was funny or clever to have a pop at those of us who preloaded apps so users didn't have to. Apparently, we're stupid.

yes wbaw's response did seem a bit severe, i guess he's just losing interest in it.

so 136mb /system is going to be ok? i'm just interested in using cm7.1 nightlies not any other custom roms. i've not had any problems so far with gapps or themes.

is it going to be worth re-tpt'ing using v5 when 7.1.0 final comes out (losing data etc.) just to get the extra 24mb?

Guest Len Ash
yes wbaw's response did seem a bit severe, i guess he's just losing interest in it.

so 136mb /system is going to be ok? i'm just interested in using cm7.1 nightlies not any other custom roms. i've not had any problems so far with gapps or themes.

is it going to be worth re-tpt'ing using v5 when 7.1.0 final comes out (losing data etc.) just to get the extra 24mb?

Using v5 will do no harm and will give you scope to do what you want without fear of busting the partition limit.

Guest sej7278
Using v5 will do no harm and will give you scope to do what you want without fear of busting the partition limit.

but is it worth it now - i don't really understand what the requirement is for a larger /system - is it for non-cm7 roms or something? i noticed my /system only has 660kb free!

Edited by sej7278

Guest Richard_Arkless

Can someone submit or implement this idea where you can change the date style like you can with the am/pm and also when to show it (by default it shows it when you pull the notification bar down), this would more work for tablets where they got all that screen real-estate. I know this is a small change and isnt important but adds something else to customize

I would do this myself but im not that experienced with android and its internals....yet

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest tttonyyy

N79 nice and stable for me.

What is worthy of note though, is that I've only done a cache wipe between the last few nightlies - it turns out my phone was hanging up immediately on calls from some numbers (familiar ones; the wife and the landline but not others). Doing a full wipe fixed this however.

Guest blueice228

I am using N78. I have noticed a problem lately with the nightly builds that I don't see it being mentioned anywhere. I have requested downloads from the Android Market website through my pc, but it never started downloading on my phone. I have to manually install them through my phone market apps.

Other than this, its great so far.

Guest Pondlife

Well it does impact the amount you have in the data partition for apps, and having to reintegrate apps in the system partition each time they are updated seems a bit of a pain, and you seem to need to buy an app for that too.

Better to see his words in his thread on it maybe I've taken them out of context to some extent but just wanted to show that the system partition had been smaller.

Guest CaptainSpectacular
now on 97 and working so damn fine till now :rolleyes: :(

- just zooming still slow

N97 :P ?

Can you give me your time machine please ? <_<

Anyway, proximity sensor doesn't work properly on n80 too... So bad, since n72 we don't have any workaround for this. :D

The "shake" trick working anyway. But the sensor is back once time only...

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest wbaw
Well it does impact the amount you have in the data partition for apps, and having to reintegrate apps in the system partition each time they are updated seems a bit of a pain, and you seem to need to buy an app for that too.

Better to see his words in his thread on it maybe I've taken them out of context to some extent but just wanted to show that the system partition had been smaller.

It's only 20mb ffs! That's one crappy game less, it makes hardly any difference unless you're wanting to install a lot of extra stuff to /system (not recommended for the reasons you gave), or want to try out a stock rom (again, not recommended). You get 15mb extra overall compared to a proper official gen2 update, or stock gen2 phone & there's a 2mb cache size, so you still get almost 300mb /data.

It means that people are able to install the extra gapps package posted here (not recommended), extra themes or mods that add a lot to /system (again not recommended), or a even gen2 stock rom with a small patch to redirect the cache partition (again, not recommended).

ClockworkMod doesn't tell users when they're run out of space on /system, it acts as if everything installed correctly when it runs out of space - it just forgets the last few files. That causes a problem, because if anybody tries to do any of those things I listed then it'll fail & it wont be immediately obvious why.

If you need more room for your apps, then instead of arguing about 20mb space on /system use apps2sd. s2e works well with CM7 & it's quite easy to install.

Guest sej7278
It's only 20mb ffs! That's one crappy game less, it makes hardly any difference unless you're wanting to install a lot of extra stuff to /system (not recommended for the reasons you gave), or want to try out a stock rom (again, not recommended). You get 15mb extra overall compared to a proper official gen2 update, or stock gen2 phone & there's a 2mb cache size, so you still get almost 300mb /data.

It means that people are able to install the extra gapps package posted here (not recommended), extra themes or mods that add a lot to /system (again not recommended), or a even gen2 stock rom with a small patch to redirect the cache partition (again, not recommended).

ClockworkMod doesn't tell users when they're run out of space on /system, it acts as if everything installed correctly when it runs out of space - it just forgets the last few files. That causes a problem, because if anybody tries to do any of those things I listed then it'll fail & it wont be immediately obvious why.

If you need more room for your apps, then instead of arguing about 20mb space on /system use apps2sd. s2e works well with CM7 & it's quite easy to install.

lol, so i still don't really understand it. what extra gapps are there other than the one within curl66's tpt rom or the cm7 mirrors?

i have 660kb free of my 136mb, but moving 3 large themes to sdcard doesn't seem to change that - i assumed /system is immutable after the rom flash?

how do we know if we've run out of space - i installed gapps-20110503 and it seems ok, but could there be files larger than 660kb missing?

essentially what i need to know is do us 136mb folks have to re-tpt to v5/160mb or not if we're only going to be running cm7?

p.s. n80 seems to be running ok - no gps reboot for me.

Edited by sej7278

Guest KACE_231
Anyway, proximity sensor doesn't work properly on n80 too... So bad, since n72 we don't have any workaround for this. :P

The "shake" trick working anyway. But the sensor is back once time only...

Can someone please clarify what exactly is the proximity sensor issue is, Ive been stuck on n73 for ages because of a load of problems that seem to have arisen. Also is the audio problem fixed in n80, the one where the speaker doesnt turn off after calls causing major battery drain.