[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest dibbles
in the n35 it seems that the GPS bug is resolved.

at least, turned off the GPS for about 30 minutes and the Blade still not gone off

I got a little excited there, until I tried it myself. Full wipe etc and n35 installed and still the same with the phone switching off after GPS usage and the phone left to idle.

Guest LordKickapoo

Installed N35 today and everything seems good so far. No randon reboot, even though i use GPS. Battery lifetime seems quite solid.

Rom feels quite fast also appdraw ( i use laucher pro).

8hours of exprience this seems best nightly so far.

Guest mscosta
in the n35 it seems that the GPS bug is resolved.

at least, turned off the GPS for about 30 minutes and the Blade still not gone off

false alarm! after about 45min and is turned off

mine is TFT

Guest JayGB1982

I use RC4 with a TFT based blade and not had a single reboot after using GPS, And I do use GPS quite frequently.

Seems strange there is no consistancy between users experiences :D

Guest Totyasrác
I don't think it's 3G networks as such, but 3G data that drains the battery. I don't switch to "2G only", but I turn off data and get an excellent battery life with 3G still allowed for voice.

Sure thing - but then why would I own a smartphone if I disable data?! Data is the essence of the Android - anywhere, anytime being on the net. At least it is for me :-o

Guest Frankish
Don't you have OLED? Have you had the GPS shutdown earlier?

Yes i have an OLED and don't really use GPS so never noticed if it happened previously. One thing to note though is my Twitter was refreshing every 15 minutes, essentially keeping the phone awake. I have disabled the auto refresh of Twitter now and will try it again. How long should i leave it for the reboots to supposedly happen? Looks like between 30-45 minutes?

Guest Maringer
Yes i have an OLED and don't really use GPS so never noticed if it happened previously. One thing to note though is my Twitter was refreshing every 15 minutes, essentially keeping the phone awake. I have disabled the auto refresh of Twitter now and will try it again. How long should i leave it for the reboots to supposedly happen? Looks like between 30-45 minutes?

I've not seen anybody with an OLED Blade report problems with GPS shutdowns. In a couple of posts, I've tried asking for feedback from people about this matter but, with the rapid turnover of pages in this thread, have received few responses.

JayGB1982's post further up the page is the first one I've seen where a TFT owner who uses GPS quite a lot hasn't encountered the GPS shutdown.

My view was that, perhaps, the GPS bug may have only been affecting some phones due to a hardware difference between the OLED/TFT Blades but JayGB1982's post may indicate this isn't the case. Hardware fragmentation may have explained some of the problems but it is difficult to get feedback, something which will probably become worse with the ability to convert your phone to GEN2!

Incidentally, I wonder if TomG and HDCR have TFT or OLED Blades?

Guest michaelviper

when using this rom everything works perfectly, the only problem i have is that when using this rom trying to play 3gp format videos don't work, it just comes up with the message "Sorry, this video cannot be played" this doesn't happen on any 2.2 rom i've tried only the cm's, i've tried using vplayer but i don't like the interface and i whenever i try to fast forward or rewind it buffers and then stays in the same place it was in before, its also slow to play videos a problem i didn't have when using the stock android video player in ss rls4 can someone please help me with my problem

Fanks in Advance :D

Sure thing - but then why would I own a smartphone if I disable data?! Data is the essence of the Android - anywhere, anytime being on the net. At least it is for me :-o

No I agree, it's obviously preferable to keep data on if you can, but I think you missed my point :D. You said you were switching to "2G only" sometimes to save battery, but I was pointing out you don't need to switch 3G off altogether if you need to save battery, just data. That way you can still make use of 3G cells for voice calls which should give better network coverage than 2G only.

Aside from that, I use Tasker to switch on data whenever I turn the screen on, then switch it off a minute after the screen goes off, plus turn it on every 15 minutes to sync email. So I get a really good battery life and I don't really notice data is switched off most of the time. This is what JuiceDefender does except it doesn't work on Android 2.3.

Guest zerosignull
The wifi preventing sleep was fixed in RC4? So you shouldn't have that one! Unless they broke it again?

Accelerometer is logged in the bug tracker in post 2. Laggy menu's is well known.

I think the laggy menu is due to the launcher. When you swap out that POS for something else the settings menu et al all run butter smooth. I think it has something to do with the launcher trying to hack the menu to put in an option for the launcher settings.

Aside from that, I use Tasker to switch on data whenever I turn the screen on, then switch it off a minute after the screen goes off, plus turn it on every 15 minutes to sync email. So I get a really good battery life and I don't really notice data is switched off most of the time. This is what JuiceDefender does except it doesn't work on Android 2.3.

Just leave 2G on when the phone is not being used. On RC4 I get almost zero drain doing this and my phone updates the weather and calendar semi regularly

Edited by zerosignull

Guest Ron=)
Anyone tried Quadrant benchmark...i find it strange how from jj9 my score is 550 but with cm7 it more than doubles 1260 but the graphics don't show yes maybe clocked to high can cause this but even underclocked same thing only the genetic with white background plays in graphics test and that's with few different installs of cm7....anyone explain.

I have the same issue. Are you using Quadrant Advanced?

Guest BillBong
On N34 i have Bluetooth bug when using headset when the screen is of the phone goes to sleep and cant activate any command by the batons on the Bluetooth headset (play,call) :D

Can anyone else confirm this. I have it too from N23 (I haven't upgraded because its been running pretty good for me). I thought it would have been fixed by now - its the only real bug that affects me. The Bluetooth service seems to cut-off on the screen going to sleep (even in mid-conversation) which means I have to manually set the screen to stay on while I'm on Bluetooth. It's not a huge problem but it kills the battery that much quicker

Just leave 2G on when the phone is not being used. On RC4 I get almost zero drain doing this and my phone updates the weather and calendar semi regularly

So you're saying that leaving 2G data on doesn't use much battery? Interesting... I can make Tasker switch to 3G when the screen is on, then back to 2G when it goes off. That would be just about perfect.

Guest gedeye1
I have the same issue. Are you using Quadrant Advanced?

Hi...yes using advanced...tried 3 different cm7 roms same problem...works fine in JJ + SS but scores are halved also.... so don't know if this rom really is 2x as fast in 3d or not.

So you're saying that leaving 2G data on doesn't use much battery? Interesting... I can make Tasker switch to 3G when the screen is on, then back to 2G when it goes off. That would be just about perfect.

I think 2g saves battery because it generally has much better signal strength (1 or 2 bars compared to 4 bars where I am) which apparently affects battery life

Edited by ms20

Guest Totyasrác

It's not the signal strength but the technology difference between GSM and WCDMA - the latter consumes a bit more power. BUT not that much as with CM7 that's for sure...

Now I need data so for the time being I have to use 2G only :D

Anyone seen this issue on the bugtracker? I'd add some note to it...

Guest Phonixx

I'm still with the RC3 and today i kept the phone in my poket the al day with no calls in 3G mode but data disabled and wifi disconected and after 6 hours i had 98% batery!! :D

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
I'm still with the RC3 and today i kept the phone in my poket the al day with no calls in 3G mode but data disabled and wifi disconected and after 6 hours i had 98% batery!! :D

Yup, sounds normal to me.

Guest Ram229

Hello everyone.

I've been following the development of CM7 from the beginning. I had used the first nightlies, but there were proximity, gallery app and other problems. I have a very general question in mind:

Do you guys recommend any (i mean RC4, nightly 34/35) for an everyday use, or shall we wait for the nearly-final release? I'm pretty excited about cm7, so that's why I ask. Thanks for the response!

Guest The Soup Thief
Hello everyone.

I've been following the development of CM7 from the beginning. I had used the first nightlies, but there were proximity, gallery app and other problems. I have a very general question in mind:

Do you guys recommend any (i mean RC4, nightly 34/35) for an everyday use, or shall we wait for the nearly-final release? I'm pretty excited about cm7, so that's why I ask. Thanks for the response!

My current N35 installation is at least as stable as any other ROM I've run as yet

A chosen few (for reasons known only to their telephones) are having issues with reboots after using GPS, but this appears to be only a few people (myself not included) and this issue is being actively chased down

For the rest of us, it's a peach

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
It does - but then again: what's the use of a smartphone without data? : :D

I'd say smart use of a smartphone is to know when you need a phone and when you need to be online ...