[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Can anyone else confirm this. I have it too from N23 (I haven't upgraded because its been running pretty good for me). I thought it would have been fixed by now - its the only real bug that affects me. The Bluetooth service seems to cut-off on the screen going to sleep (even in mid-conversation) which means I have to manually set the screen to stay on while I'm on Bluetooth. It's not a huge problem but it kills the battery that much quicker

I'm using a BT headset and all I can say is when an incoming call arrives it works properly.

With my current Samsung headset, it did NOT work with my previous Nokia headset, that beast

disconnected by itself, which is why I replaced it ...

So this is probably a BT compatibility issue.

Guest mELIANTE
I'd say smart use of a smartphone is to know when you need a phone and when you need to be online ...

I'd say that no other rom sucks battery so hard when data is on. THAT is the problem.

Edited by mELIANTE

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
I'd say that no other rom sucks battery so hard when data is on. THAT is the problem.

Indeed, welll...I know what did suck battery like that....ROMs using the old libs found here *cough cough* :D

But yes, to answer the question of "why not have data on?"- My answer is that it's impractical. I don't need the stuff that it'd take 20 mins to download over the useless 2G connection of the Isle of Wight. I would love to be always connected. But as say....updating Facebook takes 20 times longer than over WiFi, I can wait, usually. Mostly till i'm on the bus or something.

Guest mELIANTE
Indeed, welll...I know what did suck battery like that....ROMs using the old libs found here *cough cough* :D

But yes, to answer the question of "why not have data on?"- My answer is that it's impractical. I don't need the stuff that it'd take 20 mins to download over the useless 2G connection of the Isle of Wight. I would love to be always connected. But as say....updating Facebook takes 20 times longer than over WiFi, I can wait, usually. Mostly till i'm on the bus or something.

Don't know what you are talking about, what libs? B)

Guest Totyasrác
I'd say smart use of a smartphone is to know when you need a phone and when you need to be online ...

But how do I know when will someone send me an urgent mail (expecting me to read it since everyone is used to me being online since I've been having smartphones for the past ~2 years)? Or someone trying to initiate a chat (like on a meeting I won't take a phone call but willing to use chat instead of SMS).

I mean it's not everyone just playing around and using data only over wifi but I am paying for mobile data and bought a smartphone - so I want to be online. ATM it's "only" EDGE that I can use which is not THAT bad but since Android 1.5 I'm used to being able to use mobile data. And I'd prefer 3G, so I wouldn't mind if this issue was fixed

Otherwise excellent ROM as I've not had any reboot/freeze issues so far with RC3/RC4.

Guest Fou-lu

It sucks the battery only if you browse for 3hrs+ non-stop it will last atleast 8hrs from 100-0, there is no major drain at all, my 3G has been on almost 24hrs with CM, only time it's ever off is on a reboot, just charge at night and it will last a normal day of use. Its normal on smartphones to last 9-10hrs on 3g, battery drain issues were on old roms.

when using this rom everything works perfectly, the only problem i have is that when using this rom trying to play 3gp format videos don't work, it just comes up with the message "Sorry, this video cannot be played" this doesn't happen on any 2.2 rom i've tried only the cm's, i've tried using vplayer but i don't like the interface and i whenever i try to fast forward or rewind it buffers and then stays in the same place it was in before, its also slow to play videos a problem i didn't have when using the stock android video player in ss rls4 can someone please help me with my problem

Fanks in Advance :D

+1 on vuclip.com the 3gp vidz worked on 2.2 but not on 2.3, same error message, somethings different about the system player on CM.

Edited by Fou-lu

Guest Rotmann
2 questions.

1. Is the app2sd really fixed? Cause there are so many apps I can't transfer to the SD-card that I could when running froyo(Swedish Spring). Actually, it's quite rare that I find an app that I can transfer to the SD card with CM7. The majority of the apps listed as transerable don't work. I thought the app2sd was built in to 2.2 and upwards. Is Cyanogen using some other app2sd?

2. Anybody else having problem with the powerwidgets in the notification bar disappearing if you change theme? IIRC, I didn't have any problems using Frankish CM7 circle battery theme before. And it doesn't come back when you change back the thems.

1. apps2sd fixed here, maybe you restored some 2.2 or 2.1 garbage

2. restart after applying a theme

I've not seen anybody with an OLED Blade report problems with GPS shutdowns. In a couple of posts, I've tried asking for feedback from people about this matter but, with the rapid turnover of pages in this thread, have received few responses.

JayGB1982's post further up the page is the first one I've seen where a TFT owner who uses GPS quite a lot hasn't encountered the GPS shutdown.

My view was that, perhaps, the GPS bug may have only been affecting some phones due to a hardware difference between the OLED/TFT Blades but JayGB1982's post may indicate this isn't the case. Hardware fragmentation may have explained some of the problems but it is difficult to get feedback, something which will probably become worse with the ability to convert your phone to GEN2!

Incidentally, I wonder if TomG and HDCR have TFT or OLED Blades?

Tom has an OLED, Jacob a LCD.

Hi...yes using advanced...tried 3 different cm7 roms same problem...works fine in JJ + SS but scores are halved also.... so don't know if this rom really is 2x as fast in 3d or not.

Search for broken stagefright, you'll find the answer.

Can't confirm that, battery usage with 3G enabled is the same if not slightly better on CM7 than on froyo.

@all people having GPS problems/reboots. I have here an OLED, my wife has LCD, we use GPS daily, we have never had any problems at all. Make sure you wipe, format /system and DO NOT RESTORE CRAP with Titanium as it can break your system. I have also bought 8 other Sanfrans (OLED and LCDs) for friends and relatives, noone has encountered such problems, I have made the upgrade for them first without restoring crap and they only update through ROM manager. I've never heard of GPS reboot problems from them. This is why I think this is a user generated problem.

Regarding 3G battery consumption, I can confirm that in some countries it may be worse than in other countries. In Germany we have 2100 MHz 3G, battery consumption is decent. I have visited some countries where 3G was on 900MHz and the battery drained like crazy on the same phone with the same SIM.

Guest targetbsp
It does - but then again: what's the use of a smartphone without data? : :D

Being not a teenager, I don't need to know within 30 seconds of someone putting something on my facebook. B)

I turn on data when I want to use it. The internet is at my beck and call. I am not at its. ;)

Guest Poodha
1. apps2sd fixed here, maybe you restored some 2.2 or 2.1 garbage

2. restart after applying a theme

@all people having GPS problems/reboots. I have here an OLED, my wife has LCD, we use GPS daily, we have never had any problems at all. Make sure you wipe, format /system and DO NOT RESTORE CRAP with Titanium as it can break your system. I have also bought 8 other Sanfrans (OLED and LCDs) for friends and relatives, noone has encountered such problems, I have made the upgrade for them first without restoring crap and they only update through ROM manager. I've never heard of GPS reboot problems from them. This is why I think this is a user generated problem.

I switched back to Swedish Spring now, so I can't check it, but I'm fairly certain the problem with the notification widget was there after reboot(I rebooted a lot).

Although I'm getting bored and thought of putting in n35 tonight. But you said you shouldn't restore apps with titanium backup. I think most of my problems boils down to restoring apps as well, since it gets a lot more sluggish after restoring everything with myback up root, and I can't move apps to SD either.

But is there not any way to restore your apps in a good way with this ROM? I would be a major inconvenience to load all the apps from scratch and restore settings to everything.

So what would be the best way of restoring apps and data to CM7?

Guest Fairlight2x

I've had shutdowns after using GPS, N15 was the only version of CM7 that didn't have shutdowns until I tried RC3. Having thought that bug was finally squished, I installed N35 (with full wipe) and it is back :D . I wonder what the difference was between RC3 and N35...

Guest JayGB1982
I've not seen anybody with an OLED Blade report problems with GPS shutdowns. In a couple of posts, I've tried asking for feedback from people about this matter but, with the rapid turnover of pages in this thread, have received few responses.

JayGB1982's post further up the page is the first one I've seen where a TFT owner who uses GPS quite a lot hasn't encountered the GPS shutdown.

My view was that, perhaps, the GPS bug may have only been affecting some phones due to a hardware difference between the OLED/TFT Blades but JayGB1982's post may indicate this isn't the case. Hardware fragmentation may have explained some of the problems but it is difficult to get feedback, something which will probably become worse with the ability to convert your phone to GEN2!

In reference to my original post, It seems I spoke to soon. Although I'm still on RC4. Today I left GPS ON for about 25 mins, Then I had the dreaded GPS reboot issue.

My usage of GPS is usually a quick on / off lasting 2 - 3 mins when I check-in on foursquare.

But today I left it on had a play with Google Sky Maps and Maps then the issue occured.

Guest Rotmann
I switched back to Swedish Spring now, so I can't check it, but I'm fairly certain the problem with the notification widget was there after reboot(I rebooted a lot).

Although I'm getting bored and thought of putting in n35 tonight. But you said you shouldn't restore apps with titanium backup. I think most of my problems boils down to restoring apps as well, since it gets a lot more sluggish after restoring everything with myback up root, and I can't move apps to SD either.

But is there not any way to restore your apps in a good way with this ROM? I would be a major inconvenience to load all the apps from scratch and restore settings to everything.

So what would be the best way of restoring apps and data to CM7?

The google over the air restore is the safest.

3G+data on?

Yes. HSDPA always on, syncing and so on.

In reference to my original post, It seems I spoke to soon. Although I'm still on RC4. Today I left GPS ON for about 25 mins, Then I had the dreaded GPS reboot issue.

My usage of GPS is usually a quick on / off lasting 2 - 3 mins when I check-in on foursquare.

But today I left it on had a play with Google Sky Maps and Maps then the issue occured.

I've had shutdowns after using GPS, N15 was the only version of CM7 that didn't have shutdowns until I tried RC3. Having thought that bug was finally squished, I installed N35 (with full wipe) and it is back :D . I wonder what the difference was between RC3 and N35...

Did you restore crap with Titanium? Or use a2sd? The safest way to install CM and do not have problems is:

1. wipe, format /system

2. Install CM

3. let google restore over the air

4. forget about overclocking, restoring titanium/mybackup crap/using a2sd - leave the ROM clean without any add-ons to see if the problem is user generated.

Guest Shadow_2k

@Rotmann: I think it is kernel(-driver/-module) related. I've tried flashing t0mm13b's cm7 kernel (based on an older nightly, iirc N15) and it seemed to fix the GPS issue. Unfortunately said kernel isn't fully compatible with N35 and broke wifi among some other stuff instead. Im now back on N35's kernel with GPS shutting down the phone during sleep.

Guest mELIANTE
Yes. HSDPA always on, syncing and so on.

Well, then a lot of phones we have are broken or you never had better battery in 2.2 for some reason... All I know is, in 2.2, with 3G+data on I had roughly double the battery life with the same kind of use. Always full wipe.

Guest Poodha
The google over the air restore is the safest.

Googles backup also stores the appdata and passwords in the phone? Not a big fan of that.

Wouldn't a safer bet using a backup program like like titanium or mybackup but just back up the APK(I can live with losing the data from most of the apps).

Guest JayGB1982

I always do a full wipe, even on top of a nightly. The only things I have restored via TI is Angry Birds, The rest is all done via google / appbrain.

I'll take off the OC profile I have it on 651 at present and see if the GPS issues happens again.

Guest TouchyAndalou

Can anybody tell me whether this MOD gives the custom option allowing VGA video recording, like the 2.2 ones do? And if not, if it is something that's likely to be implemented eventually? Thanks in advance.

Guest pellen

I still had the GPS issue after a wipe and the first thing I did after flash was to use maps with GPS, it shut down shortly after. Since yesterday I have been testing a kernel where TomG hardcoded the battery temperature reading to 10C, because its known that temperature reading goes nuts while the phone sleeps. Havent been able to reproduce the bug since then so hopefully the problem is identified. :D

Guest Totyasrác
Being not a teenager, I don't need to know within 30 seconds of someone putting something on my facebook. :D

I turn on data when I want to use it. The internet is at my beck and call. I am not at its. B)

It's mainly the corporate e-mail client that I need to have online since I am definitely NOT a teenager. I'm not saying it's unacceptable but until 3G battery consumption is fixed I can not see it as a finished, final version.

Guest samjam

I have OLED and reported a shutdown a few posts back. I was using google maps in a car (not navigation) and pressed "back" and the phone instantly rebooted.

Guest Maringer

Sounds like a bug of some sort but an instant reboot isn't necessarily the same as the other GPS issue reported by others which seems to take a little while to take effect after GPS has been used.

Oh well, thankfully my GPS is working fine for the few occasions I need it!

Guest The Soup Thief
I still had the GPS issue after a wipe and the first thing I did after flash was to use maps with GPS, it shut down shortly after. Since yesterday I have been testing a kernel where TomG hardcoded the battery temperature reading to 10C, because its known that temperature reading goes nuts while the phone sleeps. Havent been able to reproduce the bug since then so hopefully the problem is identified. :D

Great work Pellen! Our brave testpilot! B)

Guest Frankish
It's mainly the corporate e-mail client that I need to have online since I am definitely NOT a teenager. I'm not saying it's unacceptable but until 3G battery consumption is fixed I can not see it as a finished, final version.

I live in an area where i only get 1 to 2 bars of 3g+. I'm a heavy user with Gmail, Facebook, Twitter and forum browsing. Also play around 30 minutes of games on work days. I can squeeze between 18 and 20 hours out of my phone...how is that a problem?

How long do you expect to get?