[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

I installed N242 last night, full wipe including battary stats in clockwork, no GAPPS, no accounts linked to phone, nothing installed and background data not ticked. 3g left on. Went from 100% to 78% in 10 hours 13 minutes (which is very good for me) (left image).

The right image was from the previous night (see quoted text).

This is what I was talking about earlier. If it's not draining with a clean install, then it's not the rom. Sometimes it's hard to tell which app it is that's causing the drain, some just won't show up in spare parts etc, but it will pay off being patient when hunting for it. Btw, you could test with 2G and be even more happy with the result. I don't uderstand why would anyone need 3G for background data anyway?

Guest Kamikaze.
Best setting for low battery usage:

* Use 2G instead of 3G

* Use data-connection only when needed

* Set Brightness to low

* Search for apps with "Partial Wake usage" (Use spare parts to see)

I do have about 15 % browser usage (with 3G) and 3% Phone usage. Overall usage is about 20% of the time. I get a battery life about 25 hours.

Sherlock? One more; turn off your phone. This way it'll never run outta power. Cheers...

You're best doing it using apps because then you only have to do it once. The fact they are frozen and/or disabled in autostarts is remembered across rom updates (as long as you don't wipe data!). If you do it in the zip, you'd have to do it every update.

If you do want to do it in a zip then you should be able to by just opening the zip and deleting the files (not unzipping, then rezipping) If it's then not booting, I can only assume you;ve deleted something you shouldn't have?

Hey targetbsp

What app do you use to freeze your apps?

I don't have any major battery issues but then only really use my Blade as a phone :blush: (albeit with 100% Bluetooth on)

I normally edit the ROM prior to flashing simply because I like things as lean as possible but you've stopped way more things than I ever take out.

I'd be worried about taking some of those items out, so like the idea of freezing them.

Cheers, Paul

Hey targetbsp

What app do you use to freeze your apps?

I don't have any major battery issues but then only really use my Blade as a phone :blush: (albeit with 100% Bluetooth on)

I normally edit the ROM prior to flashing simply because I like things as lean as possible but you've stopped way more things than I ever take out.

I'd be worried about taking some of those items out, so like the idea of freezing them.

Cheers, Paul

Titanium Backup can do it, atleast the paid Pro version. But I'm 100% sure there are other apps (even free) that can do it too. I think someone suggested some a few pages back?

edit: Root Uninstaller seems to be able to do it.

Edited by sm4tik

Guest targetbsp

i use titanium for freezing. They're all safe to delete too (if you don't need them) because i used to every update (again in titanium) before realising if i freeze instead that i only need to do it the once!

Guest doogsville

A little off topic...

Does anyone using ADW Launcher EX find that it FC's after unmounting USB storage, and when then phone boots up?

Using Launcher Pro Plus now and have no issues like that, but I prefer ADW for customization. NO problems with ADW that comes with CM7 either.

I have set keep launcher in memory in CM settings, and still same problem.

Yup, me too. Haven't had it happen when unmounting USB, but every time I boot it happens. Takes about a minute or two for the icons for apps stored on the SD card to change from the stock android icon to the apps own icon, then when they do and I press one it force closes. Every time. Even if I don't touch the screen it force closes.

I also have a weird bug where if I long press to add an app to a homescreen I get the list for applications, widgets etc, then when I press the application option, the screen goes black, then comes up with just the wallpaper, then the list of applications appears, then when I press the application I want to add, the screen goes black again and then comes back to the homescreen but the apps icon isn' there. I have to do it again once or sometimes twice before the icon appears, and then it always appears at the top left corner, usually on top of the icon already there, and I have to long press to move it to the available space.

Never tried any other launcher than ADW, currently using ADW EX.

Guest jventura

Hi,

has anybody had any problems with the camera app in the latest versions? Mine only shows a black screen and then Force Closes, but it used to work.

I compile my own versions, but is equivalent to latest N243.. My Blade is not new, has almost one year..

Guest hugobosslives

Titanium Backup can do it, atleast the paid Pro version. But I'm 100% sure there are other apps (even free) that can do it too. I think someone suggested some a few pages back?

edit: Root Uninstaller seems to be able to do it.

link2sd does it for free

Guest tsddave

Must admit I have given up with Cyanogenmod 7.1 as battery life is just not good enough I have installed

[ROM][GEN1-2-3] Moldovan Mile-High-Mountain-Pie RLS5 (Android 2.3.5) Based on Official ZTE Libra Gingerbread, Updated 28.10.11

Moldovan so far looks good maybe cyanogen just has too many extras for the battery

I ended up with blade mix 360. The best battery life of any rom available and with some really nice looks and themes.

Guest marcodassi

Hello great Bladers

I have some trouble using GPS from sej's version 227+ (24oct); the locking is very long (minutes!) and, if the module finally gets a lock, it's really unusable (reported position error is from 30 to over 200 meters). Also, the compass seems to follow the refresh rate of GPS (1 second?).

I've tested sej227+, N241, N242 and N243 and all these nightlies produce the same error; goin' back to 227 "standard" and the GPS is working again (superfast fix and 5-6 meters of error).

Anybody noticed that? I'm using GPS Status & Toolbox to check out

Thanks!

- marco

Note for all: Barcode Scanner and Goggles are working perfectly on Burstlam kang from 29 october.

For me barcode scanner is working, it just has a graphical glitch.

Guest targetbsp

Yup, me too. Haven't had it happen when unmounting USB, but every time I boot it happens. Takes about a minute or two for the icons for apps stored on the SD card to change from the stock android icon to the apps own icon, then when they do and I press one it force closes. Every time. Even if I don't touch the screen it force closes.

As it does seem to be when reading apps from the sd card, I've wondered if using an ext position would solve it. Those that don't have the problem, is that what you're doing? Lots of people moaning about it on the market and on his blog too so we're not alone. It's obviously fixable though if others are ok on the same ROM!

Guest downloader50

I ended up with blade mix 360. The best battery life of any rom available and with some really nice looks and themes.

Didn't like the themes on 360 after a lot of different roms I have come to the conclusion the Cyanogen is no better no worse for battery life than any of them they are all pretty much the same

Guest downloader50

Note for all: Barcode Scanner and Goggles are working perfectly on Burstlam kang from 29 october.

Where can i download the Burstlam Kang 29/10/2011?

Guest jventura

Hi,

for everyone in doubt regarding the battery life of CM7, I've done the following "experiment": simply count how much time passes between each 1% drop.

I've compared CM7 (equivalent to latest nightly, compiled by me on saturday) to GSF Beta 14. Both are pretty stock, with launcher pro, same background, same widgets, 2G/GSM, no wifi, no bluetooth, no data connection, both tests just after bootstrap (leaving some time to boot everything up), same light conditions, etc. etc.

Note: CM7 had governor ON_DEMAND, and both tests were made in the area of 55%-65% battery (to account for battery bias in certain voltage areas)..

1st experiment: Idle with screen on (changed settings to turn off light by 30 minutes)

- CM7 (about 3:10 min)

- GSF b14 (more than 15:00 [i became bored after 15 minutes])

2nd experiment: Playing with the launcher, just switching workspaces on a periodical basis (about 1 turn each 1 second), to keep the processor at max speed

- CM7 (about 2:00)

- GSF b14 (about 2:00)

Conclusions: CM7 seems more expensive on battery while idle. Both seem equivalent running at "top speed".

João Ventura

Edited by jventura

Guest popoyaya

I've noticed using cooltool to monitor cpu speed, that with most of the overclocking governors,including on demand, if the screen in on the cpu is constantly running at max speed,even if the phone is doing nothing. Is this how it's supposed to behave? On my pc an on demand governor scales the cpu speed down to minimum until more power is needed.

Guest downloader50

If you are having problems with the screen when using either barcode scanner or google goggles then go back to the stable release 7.1 it is the nightly 241 and so 242 and 243 that are causing the problem with the graphics I have proved it by restoring my back of 7.1 everything worked ok then updated to Nightly 243 screwed up again

Possible cause in nightly 241 (THESE ARE GUESES)

Fix skewed camera preview when launched from lockscreen (android_packages_apps_Camera)

jordan: touch to focus overlay (android_vendor_cyanogen)Fix up touch to focus code via overlays (android_packages_apps_Camera

Guest rockstarszzzz

I had terrible battery for N241 over first 3 charge cycles. It only lasted 12 hours a day.

I've got rid of two apps: Facebook and Google Maps.

I've used 80% of battery using normal 3G, sync, text and calls. It's been 35 hours. With remaining 20% I guess I can get at least 5-6 hours more. i.e. 40-41 hours on 3G with N241.

I'm inclined to believe it was Google Maps for me, but I would also suggest 4-5 charge and discharge cycles. May be battery needs to stabilize in some weird non-scientific manner.

post-689962-0-66193800-1320229527_thumb.

Guest JolyonS
I've got rid of two apps: Facebook and Google Maps.

I suspect both of those two myself in a completely unscientific way.

I can bin Facebook but Google Maps is probably in the top three apps I use - are there any good alternatives? (I don't need navigation, just reliable mapping).

Guest JolyonS
If it's not draining with a clean install, then it's not the rom.

Not necessarily true - there may be features of a particular ROM which cause an application to produce excessive drain.

As I say I have no scientific tests and I don't really think that it is possible for an individual to produce anything generally useful but I can say that in my experience I got notably better battery life from early GSF builds than anything else I have tried with the same apps installed and the same usage patterns in the same locations.

CM7 has improved in this regard over time and I now feel like I can rely on 24 hours but unfortunately that still means a daily recharge.

Guest rockstarszzzz

I suspect both of those two myself in a completely unscientific way.

I can bin Facebook but Google Maps is probably in the top three apps I use - are there any good alternatives? (I don't need navigation, just reliable mapping).

I'm using MapQuest at the moment. Don't do so much of maps until I am lost in the streets so won't know much difference. The reviews were good for the app.

If you want, you could try given 4-5 charge and discharge cycles a try. May be in an extreme non-scientific way, that might help. If it doesn't then perhaps get rid of gmaps, as you seem to use it a lot!