[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Decadence1

Whenever i try to download/install something from the market it says there is insufficient space, any ideas? Thanks I've already tried clearing the market cache/dalvik cache

Guest cowscrubber

What doest that patch include? Burstlams kernel?

And where did you find the link? O-O

That's Burstlam's kernel.

Edited by cowscrubber

While I'm still getting the repo ready to build after a hd crash, how's the gpu oc doing? Is there any difference in benchmarks (who cares about real life ;) ) Just curious because last time I tried it with wbaws kernel I experienced a drop in performance.

Edited by sm4tik

Guest sej7278

Mmmmh... Yes, I have 100% deep sleep too.

so what does that mean then - doesn't the phone wake up when there's a call or something? are we sure its not a bug with cpuspy?

i finally got patch9 to install after about 3 test builds, i'm not confident in it.

and it looks like github is totally broken now, as somehow the default manifest has turned into this:

<remote  name="korg"

fetch="git://android.git.kernel.org/"

review="review.source.android.com" />

<remote  name="github"

fetch=".."

review="review.cyanogenmod.com" />

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp

so what does that mean then - doesn't the phone wake up when there's a call or something? are we sure its not a bug with cpuspy?

i finally got patch9 to install after about 3 test builds, i'm not confident in it.

and it looks like github is totally broken now, as somehow the default manifest has turned into this:

The issue is purely between cpuspy and the rom. It logged 4 seconds of deep sleep (whilst the phone was awake!) and nothing more. App bug I'd say? Phone seems to work fine.

I didn't have any trouble with it. I just repo sync, pulled it and compiled it. Worked first time. Did you do any workarounds for that prebuilt issue back in january? They were related to the manifest. I had to undo my changes for a repo sync to work properly.

Had 116 downloads so far with no complaints.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

While I'm still getting the repo ready to build after a hd crash, how's the gpu oc doing? Is there any difference in benchmarks (who cares about real life ;) ) Just curious because last time I tried it with wbaws kernel I experienced a drop in performance.

The first antutu benchmark I ran had no difference to my previous 2d and 3d scores. The next 2 benchmarks I ran had half the typical 2d score! Seems about as good as undervolting ;)

Antutu can be a bit random though.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest sej7278

The issue is purely between cpuspy and the rom. It logged 4 seconds of deep sleep (whilst the phone was awake!) and nothing more. App bug I'd say? Phone seems to work fine.

yes that's what i thought - app bug or just how the kernel reports it has changed, still basically an app problem not a kernel one.

I didn't have any trouble with it. I just repo sync, pulled it and compiled it. Worked first time. Did you do any workarounds for that prebuilt issue back in january? They were related to the manifest. I had to undo my changes for a repo sync to work properly.

i re-downloaded repo and ran "repo init" again, seems to be working ok-ish now, still getting the odd "fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly".

i guess repo wasn't auto-updating as it should be as this version seems to be a lot less verbose and the help text is different.

i must try this with cm9 as that's totally hosed for me lately whilst aosp is fine.

Guest targetbsp

yes that's what i thought - app bug or just how the kernel reports it has changed, still basically an app problem not a kernel one.

From the app dev over at XDA:

"This program basically just displays the content of a file called time_in_states (see first post for details like location). If the kernel doesn't supply it, it won't work"

So it seems the new kernel isn't logging info that the old one was?

Though the file must exist because there's a market screenshot of what it looks like if it doesn't! It must just not be updating it?

Not really sure how the app works. This is the first time I've used it. In a rom where it's suspected to not work lol

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Amphoras

Whenever i try to download/install something from the market it says there is insufficient space, any ideas? Thanks I've already tried clearing the market cache/dalvik cache

Did you install darktremor apps to ext script? I couldn't download anything from the market before after installing this. Reflashing the rom and using S2E instead fixed it for me.

Guest sej7278

Did you install darktremor apps to ext script? I couldn't download anything from the market before after installing this. Reflashing the rom and using S2E instead fixed it for me.

why do people use s2e and a2sd etc; when cm7 has all of that built-in?

i could understand it on 2.2 as the sdcard support was pretty useless as the app had to support moving, but in 2.3 the os can move things even if the app doesn't support it.

Guest targetbsp

As every app has to leave a bit behind, it is still technically possible to run out of space using the built in method.

Though as I have 96 apps (mostly games), a 185mb system (for ics) and still have over 100mb of free data - i think you'd be hard pushed to run out!

maybe its people that use a lot of widgets? You can't move apps whose widgets you use.

Guest Pondlife

Don't know about others but I didn't realise that cm7 could do it without external app. Doh!

Sounds like it does it better than the app too as I've less apps than targetbsp and much less space on internal data partition

Can it use the empty sd-ext partition that I seem to have?

think I may have spent last few months asleep

Guest KonstaT

I've added the GPU/OXI patch to the old Turies based source that I've been using. After series of AnTuTu test I get consistently around 20 points more with the GPU overclocking. So we're talking about 1-2% difference. I really don't play any games, so I have no idea how it performs there (if that is considered 'real life' ;)).

Interesting part is that when I used a kernel based on the new source (burstlam's, compiled from wbaw source) I get consistently 120-150 points less than using the old Turies source. That seems significant and can't be explained only by margin of error.

Haven't tested Tom G's kernel and these tests weren't done using CM7, so I might have wandered into wrong thread... :P

Edited by KonstaT

Guest targetbsp

No, it uses a special hidden folder called .android_secure on the fat partition.

It's simply the normal Android Apps2SD support provided since Froyo with the exception that you can move any app and not just those that support it. You have to enable this feature somewhere in CM Settings I believe.

You shouldn't move apps whose widgets you use or your default launcher or your default keyboard though. Everything else seems to be fine.

You can actually provide this support on roms that don't support it with an adb command. Or use Titanium to move them.

Guest Master One

Now I am successfully using targetbsp's latest build, everything seems to be working just fine, and now I am wondering about CPU settings, since I never played around with them before.

By default the "interactive" governor was set with min. 245 MHz and max. 604 MHz, right now I am using "smartassV2" with min. 122 MHz and max. 729 MHz, which seems to be working stable so far (any higher caused reboots).

Are there any best practices concerning governor & frequency settings?

I mean, do you select min/max differently depending on governor?

With wbaw's kernel the "ondemand" governor has been reworked and seems to be the preferred selection, but I guess those "ondemand" governor improvements are not present in TomG's kernel, right?

Honestly I have no clue which governor on what criteria to choose, I just selected "smartassV2" because it looks interesting. ;)

Any ideas?

Guest targetbsp

right now I am using "smartassV2" with min. 122 MHz and max. 729 MHz, which seems to be working stable so far (any higher caused reboots).

Those are my settings exactly. :D

Guest Decadence1

Yep, I did install the script, that might be the problem, thanks!

Guest Master One

targetbsp, as far as I understand you switch between CM7 & CM9, so I guess CM9 is still not really usable, otherwise there would be no reason to come back to CM7.

I am just wondering if I should give CM9 a try, but I am not so sure. Maybe you could give me some input on this.

Guest thewild

My impressions are that SmartassV2 is less battery friendly than OnDemand. Those are just impressions though, no real tests.

Guest emc02

my settings too ;)

I had always stability issues with frequencies higher than 691MHz, but two weeks ago I've tested 729MHz and it is stable. Maybe there was some change in kernel or my blade is getting faster and faster ;)

Guest targetbsp

targetbsp, as far as I understand you switch between CM7 & CM9, so I guess CM9 is still not really usable, otherwise there would be no reason to come back to CM7.

I am just wondering if I should give CM9 a try, but I am not so sure. Maybe you could give me some input on this.

Well... my input is that using an Android phone without gapps is borderline insanity but... :D

Lots of apps don't work on ICS even with a mini gapps - never mind without them. The gapps include lots of libraries that apps require to work - not just market and maps etc.

CM9 is smoother than GB and that Coldfusion version is fast and stable - but it has a collection of known bugs. Basically it's perfectly usable as a day to day rom if none of the known bugs affect you. I mostly came back to CM7 to test the new kernel. I'll switch back to Coldfusion with its next update. I just like new stuff. :D