[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest SpeRator

Just noticed that there is a newer version of the libs for Adreno 200 to improve 3D performance, by the same member over at XDA who gave us the newer Qualcom drivers. Hope it has some more performance benefits over the previous one's.

Flash in CWM.

Download:

rk.zip

XDA link?

Guest SpeRator

Just noticed that there is a newer version of the libs for Adreno 200 to improve 3D performance, by the same member over at XDA who gave us the newer Qualcom drivers. Hope it has some more performance benefits over the previous one's.

XDA Link: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1582243

Flash in CWM.

Download:

rk.zip

Nice, i read the thread. The introduction on XDA to flash and edit. build.prop is useless. And deleting the libGLES_android.so also. If you delete this file you turn off the software-acceleration and always force hardware-acceleration.

The right introduction is only flash with CWM and thats it.

THX Akash P for post it.

Edited by SpeRator

Guest targetbsp

They don't bench any different than the previous ones. I am firmly in the newer is better camp though so what the heck. :D

Guest ziyan

Could you list all the apk's you delete? Would be helpful to others and myself :-)

Yeah, why not :D

Here's my usual ROM customization before installation:

ADWLauncher.apk - I replace it with launcherpro.apk on GB - delete only if you include another launcher in the zip!

Androidian.apk - theme.. I use the stock, or something from market

CMStats.apk - Statistics

CMUpdateNotify.apk - I use KANGs from here

Cyanbread.apk - another theme, also delete "persist.sys.themeId=Cyanbread" and "persist.sys.themePackageName=com.tmobile.theme.Cyanbread" from build.prop

Development.apk - I'm not an app developer

Email.apk - I use gmail

LiveWallpapers.apk - livewallpapers

LiveWallpapersPicker.apk - if you don't use any livewallpaper

MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk - livewallpapers

Protips.apk - Android tips widget

QuickSearchBox.apk - Google search widget

RomManager.apk - I prefer manual mode in recovery

Stk.apk - provider-specific shortcuts, it stores the provider's telephone numbers for services like "sms highway ticket"

VisualizationWallpapers.apk - more livewallpapers

VoiceDialer.apk - I like typing

VpnServices.apk - I dont use any proxy or vpn (maybe needed for some providers?)

After that, I also delete every language expect english from system ts\lang_pico, and add an ad-blocking hostfile to system\etc, so I don't need ad blocking softwares.

Finally, I usually flash sej's or archish's kernel, and the roboto font pack from targetbsp's site (I use his builds, so the adreno libs are already included).

From the gapps, I delete the following files:

CarHomeGoogle.apk

GoogleFeedback.apk

GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

Talk.apk

After those steps, CM7 with gapps will easily fit on ~110mb, but you can also delete some more apk's if you don't use them (FM, Calendar, ...). These modifications will speed up the ROM a bit, but not with the cost of stability - my phone is still rock stable ^_^

By the way, i'm thinking on an automated recovery zip which would do this job automatically after a ROM install, so you wouldn't need to modify anything... I may make one if anyone would use it :D

Edited by ziyan

Guest Akash P

Yeah, why not :D

By the way, i'm thinking on an automated recovery zip which would do this job automatically after a ROM install, so you wouldn't need to modify anything... I may make one if anyone would use it :D

Thanks for the list :)

Yea about the automated recovery zip I would love to test it out! Do make it and post the links :D

Guest targetbsp

If you're doing this to save ram, boot time or whatever rather than system storage space then use freeze rather than deleting them as freeze lasts between rom updates. :) It took me about a year to realise that lol.

Guest ziyan

If you're doing this to save ram, boot time or whatever rather than system storage space then use freeze rather than deleting them as freeze lasts between rom updates. :) It took me about a year to realise that lol.

I wanted to do the same, but is there any free "freezer" app? I only found trial versions on market :angry:

EDIT: just found one, didn't tested: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ramdroid.appquarantine

Also, how do you disable startup apps?

Edited by ziyan

Guest targetbsp

This: https://play.google....roid.autostarts

It costs I'm afraid but not much and is far, FAR better than any free one I tried. It can stop auto loads from dozens of different events - not just startup ones.

For freezing I use titanium which does cost. I noted that Link2SD can freeze apps also and it is free.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

Use ES TaskManager for disabling start up apps and link2sd for freezing apps ;)

Like all free ones I've seen, ES task manager is not sufficient for the job if you really want to do it properly. It can only handle the After_Startup Android event.

Autostarts handles almost 70* different events. So that's 69 other places you aren't controlling the running of apps. :)

*And I think it only shows events where I have apps trying to do things so there's probably more than 70.

Guest eucurto

Hi targetbsp.

i flashed your latest 30may but it doesn't have Roboto font.

Can you tell me what have you included apart from the stock nightly?

thanks.

Guest targetbsp

Only the Adreno libs differ from the nightly. The font is available from my website in my signature. As are the adreno libs to be honest! I'm not actually sure why I compile versions still now the nightlies are going again. :D

Guest kjacek

If you're doing this to save ram, boot time or whatever rather than system storage space then use freeze rather than deleting them as freeze lasts between rom updates.

Targetbsp, I'm not sure what do you mean about application freezing, I stil learn about android.

Usually during rom update I wipe to factory reset. It is pain in the ass restoring all applications and settings.

I know that this operation isn't necessary but I like have clear situation.

You freeze applications in titanium and what? Do you wipe to factory reset and then you flash new rom? I thought that it is impossible?

Or you skip wiping and only flash new rom?

I don't know how this freeze works, so far I thought that 'freezing' applications is kind of setting attributes 'read only', but I thought that reseting device to factory reset by recovery clear all applications freezed or normal.

Could you clarify this, at this point I'm lost ;-) ?

Guest targetbsp

Yeah if you wipe data then your frozen choices won't be saved. The only time I've ever wiped between nightly 1 and now is then i switched to gen 2.

Guest archish

I risked and flashed your kernel over latest nightly together with Soft Button patch and the rest of the stuff. And it worked!

I have to flash Soft Button patch twice but it is no problem. I have 5mp blade.

Archish, could you give wider description features in your kernel? Or links where we can read somethink more?

Actually there is no risk as such in flashing this kernel, maybe the warning scared off people too much :P

The kernel source is available here.

https://github.com/KonstaT/zte-turies-35

It uses the newer wifi drivers so if you have been facing problems with it then no point flashing it with this. Personally I haven't had any issue with newer wifi drivers.

The features of the kernel are great!

Do you know if your kernel have better battery life than Sejis kernel?

Should have little battery improvement but don't expect battery life like you get in stock rom, its overall good improvement from CM7 stock kernel.

Guest archish

Nice, i read the thread. The introduction on XDA to flash and edit. build.prop is useless. And deleting the libGLES_android.so also. If you delete this file you turn off the software-acceleration and always force hardware-acceleration.

The right introduction is only flash with CWM and thats it.

THX Akash P for post it.

They don't bench any different than the previous ones. I am firmly in the newer is better camp though so what the heck. :D

Any benchmarks of old vs new?

Guest targetbsp

Any benchmarks of old vs new?

approx 300 2d, 600 3d for both of them. Vs low 500's in the 3d score for the stock ones in CM7.

Guest archish

approx 300 2d, 600 3d for both of them. Vs low 500's in the 3d score for the stock ones in CM7.

Hmm then there is really no actual improvement I guess, just minor bugfix maybe in the newer leaked drivers...

Guest kjacek

Actually there is no risk as such in flashing this kernel, maybe the warning scared off people too much :P

It wasn't my idea, forgive me.

But there could be somethink. Maybe it is related to this kernel, maybe not. I flashed it and after day or so my blade became unstable. It restarts and hangs during the calls. Now I have to reinstall all my stuff.

Yeah if you wipe data then your frozen choices won't be saved. The only time I've ever wiped between nightly 1 and now is then i switched to gen 2.

OK thanks, but I still don't understand what this 'freeze' do in the system. I don't feel the differnce between 'freezing' applications and not during the rom upgrade. I suppose there must be some benefit but what?

Edited by kjacek

Guest SpeRator

These? http://www.modaco.co...07#entry1822507

I use my own custom ones. Just sat in front of light sources and set the screen how I want. It seemed to kind of be the point of having the option. :D

Maybe your setting could be good, the settings from De@ns post arent good. Could you take screenshot of your settings plz?

Edited by SpeRator