[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest targetbsp

cm10 has better memory management

anyway you can directly jump to Jb once it reaches to similar state as ICS

It does. It's still not quite as good as GB seems to be though. Once JB has had a few more versions I'll probably jump on over to it though which was never going to happen with ICS.

Guest mickeystar

do you mean about not enough space on phone?i have lots of memory availabe. music player http://www.modaco.co...res-in-gallery/ it was working please read the link THIS IS MY MAIN CONCERN

by repartition how? what cache size etc, im noob

i never used apps2sd?

Someone help. I flashed coldfusion but Sofia didn't work. So I've reflashed rom to cm7.2 still nothing - no songs shown on music on pictures in gallery

Guest Snap.IT

It does. It's still not quite as good as GB seems to be though. Once JB has had a few more versions I'll probably jump on over to it though which was never going to happen with ICS.

May i just ask what you two are basing this on because i just don't see it.

It's become somewhat of a mantra that people keep saying now but i have yet to see anyone actually show evidence that their personal experience is diminished for no other reason than bad memory management.

In fact, i'd venture to say that you're both completely wrong on this. ICS memory management isn't bad, it's just not made for 512MB phones and JB will be even worse once it's full featured (or rather, as full featured as it gets for our chipset).

I can't see what's different between JB and ICS when it comes to this either apart from JB being more of a memory hog on actual locks, they both have the same releases, don't they?

Guest Snap.IT

Someone help. I flashed coldfusion but Sofia didn't work. So I've reflashed rom to cm7.2 still nothing - no songs shown on music on pictures in gallery

It's gone. Always backup your stuff!

Ask targetbsp, he'll tell ya, he doesn't but he requires it of others. :D

Guest kingpair

It's become somewhat of a mantra that people keep saying now but i have yet to see anyone actually show evidence that their personal experience is diminished for no other reason than bad memory management.

In fact, i'd venture to say that you're both completely wrong on this. ICS memory management isn't bad, it's just not made for 512MB phones and JB will be even worse once it's full featured (or rather, as full featured as it gets for our chipset).

I can't see what's different between JB and ICS when it comes to this either apart from JB being more of a memory hog on actual locks, they both have the same releases, don't they?

I belong to the GB camp myself. gingerbread just feels more polished than ICS. The app drawer and homescreen scrolling are, dare i say it buttery smooth, in the ICS roms but everything else feels sluggish. Transitions are fairly stuttery, the keyboard is laggy and app and settings launching isnt the quickest. Not to mention waking the phone up from sleep takes a while too. I'm sure some of that is down to memory management. Even after trying the latest burstlam and Konsta roms I find myself reverting back to GB.

Guest targetbsp

I have 91 games on my phone, mostly paid for rather than free casual stuff. Nuts I know. :D

Anyway, I can load them one after the other no sweat on GB. And I do actually do this to test compatibility with a rom change believe or not.

Now in ICS, after a couple of different games, the games start replacing textures with white blocks - presumably due to a lack of ram for the textures?

In JB, the same issue occurs but after a lot more games.

Somewhere along the line they don't appear to be maintaining enough free ram for the GPU.

With the exception of all but one of my games (Plants Vs Zombies) every game I have will work fine on a clean boot but not necessarily after the phone has seen some use. Now obviously more actual ram would help but surely the rom should be able to recover the phone to at least more or less its post boot state of free memory for each app if needed by a foreground app?

I could be technically wrong in my description of the problem as 'memory management'. I am a programmer but in high enough level languages that memory usage is not something I concern myself with!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

It's gone. Always backup your stuff!

Ask targetbsp, he'll tell ya, he doesn't but he requires it of others. :D

He certainly should though because he wiped out the data partition of a desktop drive he was cloning to the other day without a backup. :'(

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Snap.IT

He certainly should though because he wiped out the data partition of a desktop drive he was cloning to the other day without a backup. :'(

Yeah, "he" really should.

OTOH, i recently deleted an entire build of an almost done project, i had to go from what i remembered. (pure dumb luck that my brain works in mysterious ways)

I'm tellin ya, scheduled backup and more than enough storage are our friends, i'm tellin ya but not following my own advice either. :D

Guest Snap.IT

I have 91 games on my phone, mostly paid for rather than free casual stuff. Nuts I know. :D

I wouldn't say that it's nuts, i'd say that you're an avid phone gamer, there is nothing wrong with that, personally i stick to OLD pc games like original Max Payne or Deus Ex, i'll rather play those than the sequels even though i've completed them.

Anyway, I can load them one after the other no sweat on GB.

Oh man, you need some ritalin. :D Why on earth would you load multiple games and expect them all to run? Sure they will run on GB, it's less memory intensive.

And I do actually do this to test compatibility with a rom change believe or not.

Now in ICS, after a couple of different games, the games start replacing textures with white blocks - presumably due to a lack of ram for the textures?

In JB, the same issue occurs but after a lot more games.

Somewhere along the line they don't appear to be maintaining enough free ram for the GPU.

This is because the system dependant binaries are locked in memory, it's the same in GB but the size differs, trust me, you do not want to change these settings or you'll find yourself in a position where you can only play your game but not return to home.

With the exception of all but one of my games (Plants Vs Zombies) every game I have will work fine on a clean boot but not necessarily after the phone has seen some use. Now obviously more actual ram would help but surely the rom should be able to recover the phone to at least more or less its post boot state of free memory for each app if needed by a foreground app?

That's not how it works, you can't reclaim ram that isn't available because of system processes or apps using them, what you are experiencing is a data collection from system in memory and IT HAS TO BE THERE. I know you tried AOKP, did the minfree setting change anything? Nope, neither will ANY script, if it could it would cause a huge mess and i don't think constant reboots are what you are after.

I could be technically wrong in my description of the problem as 'memory management'. I am a programmer but in high enough level languages that memory usage is not something I concern myself with!

If i were you i'd run SSRLS7 on my sdcard (like i'm doing right now) and whatever experimental version i'd want on the MTD. I've got 2.7GB of data on SSRLS7 and it's as fast as if i had booted it from MTD.

I've been doing this for so long that i once programmed in Algol.

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest targetbsp

Lets say I have a game A and a game B.

In GB, I can load game A, quit it and then load game B and then quit and load A repeating with no problem.

In ICS after a reboot, I can load game A, quit it and game B won't work.

Or after a reboot I can load game B, quit it and game A won't work.

Both games work after a reboot, but neither work after the other. Surely there is something wrong there?

In reality, it takes a chain of more than 2 games but that's the general problem. More memory will obviously help but will it just delay the inevitable. I also have a lot more free ram that typical in both roms as I freeze lots of system apps I don't use and stop lots of user apps loading in Autoruns.

Guest Snap.IT

I should point out that I do exit each game in turn. It's one after the other. not all at once. :)

Yeah, see that makes much more sense. :D

I knew you weren't nuts... ;)

I don't know how to fix this though, minfree scripts (with the various tweaks that are OMG SOOOHHH HAWNY) wouldn't fix this either.

As far as i'm aware the ICS part reclaims memory just fine, i think it's just not enough memory, it starts system process that should be reused.

Guest Snap.IT

Lets say I have a game A and a game B.

In GB, I can load game A, quit it and then load game B and then quit and load A repeating with no problem.

In ICS after a reboot, I can load game A, quit it and game B won't work.

Or after a reboot I can load game B, quit it and game A won't work.

Both games work after a reboot, but neither work after the other. Surely there is something wrong there?

In reality, it takes a chain of more than 2 games but that's the general problem. More memory will obviously help but will it just delay the inevitable. I also have a lot more free ram that typical in both roms as I freeze lots of system apps I don't use and stop lots of user apps loading in Autoruns.

I already answered that because i'm a wizard, see my post above.

I still say that if i were you, i'd use SSRLS7, perhaps with the new EGL libs, you won't get better performance than that for what you're doing.

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest targetbsp

I still say that if i were you, i'd use SSRLS7, perhaps with the new EGL libs, you won't get better performance than that for what you're doing.

I'll have to give it ago. I think I mostly used CM7 because I quite liked getting something new so frequently but that's kinda stopped now they're all working on ICS/JB!

Guest Snap.IT

I'll have to give it ago. I think I mostly used CM7 because I quite liked getting something new so frequently but that's kinda stopped now they're all working on ICS/JB!

You really should, it's the best i've ever tried, and you should also try the dual booting option, i'll upload the whole shebang if you'll just partition your SDcard right.

It installs and afterwards, well, just take your pick on what unstable build you want, you still have your trusty SSRLS7 right there.

My recommendation is not to cheap out on the data partition though, with that much traffic from gplay you're going to need a big data partition.

Guest targetbsp

I don't actually think I have enough sd card space to have two copies of my user apps :D

My Ext partition has 1.9GB used.

I did have a look at that init script you mentioned in the other thread but it's outside my area of expertise to be honest. I'm more of a Windows guy!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Snap.IT

I don't actually think I have enough sd card space to have two copies of my user apps :D

My Ext partition has 1.9GB used.

I did have a look at that init script you mentioned in the other thread but it's outside my area of expertise to be honest. I'm more of a Windows guy!

Sd cardspace is cheap, upgrade my friend, upgrade. Electronics are supposed to be expensive over here and i can get one for 180kr, that is like $58.

There will come a time when you can just install any rom into a file on your SD card and it will be almost as fast as you're used to.

For devs like us, baby we were born to run on ssssdddddheheheeeee... (my Springsteen impersonation sucks, deal with it)

Imagine having as many projects as there can be on it, imagine running them at will by clicking an smwidget.

It's the way of the future and you won't have to partition anything when i'm done.

Guest jesuita

Hello everyone :)

Went to try ICS and JB but in my opinion the blade isnt prepared for those roms, everything in GB runs so much more smoothly, loads faster etc, looks better etc :)

So i've just installed lastest build from targetbsp's page, with mini google apps and sej's kernel.

Everything is working very good, there is this one thing i dislike though.. the zoom effect when unlocking the phone. What do i have to do to change this?

Hopefully i'm not being really pricky :P

Thanks!

Nevermind, just found out it isnt as easy as it seems.

Will take this opportunity to try to learn how to compile CM7 :)

Edited by jesuita

Guest targetbsp

With the exception of all but one of my games (Plants Vs Zombies) every game I have will work fine on a clean boot but not necessarily after the phone has seen some use.

ha ha! EA must be reading this forum. :D After many, many months, last night they fixed PvZ. All I've got to work out now is how to turn vsync on on my JB rom. Not sure why it's off but it sure does make it ugly.

Guest OmenHTX

only i have problem like this ? when i wake up phone after the night, it's show 50% battery and when i restart it's show 40% and after 5min its rise to 42-43% :/

Guest targetbsp

Does anyone use S2E on CM7?

I've just spent the past 24 hours with my phone not working and have narrowed it down to CWM backups of CM7 with S2E being junk when you restore them.

It's taken me ages to work this out. It reports random errors with the sd card, hangs restoring or if it succeeds, all the apps crash. So I was thinking SD card issues. I've spent the day formatting, testing and partitioning the sd card. Tried a different sd card. Tried different versions of clockworkmod. Different backup (but all too recent :( )

My CM10 backup with S2E is perfectly fine.

Anyway, seeing as I have no choice but to start my GB rom again, I'm going to try out the above suggested SSRLS7 and use its included DarkTremor instead for a while.

Guest jesuita

Targetbdp, S2E is working perfectly here :)

Maybe repartition the sd card again under cwm.

Also, there is an option on s2e to mount the partition as ext4 i think, try to check that out :)

Edited by jesuita

Guest jesuita

Weird problem here: cant play music!

Uber player wont find any of my music on the sdcard.

If i try to browse the music files and play it with the Default Music app it force closes.

When browsing the files and open them with explorer app it plays correctly..

Anyone has a hint of what my be happening?