22/Apr [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE u-v880 or [GEN2] device

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest Ace Faith

Another question that's probably been answered already:

If I used the official Comviq 2.2 TPT upgrade to go from 2.1 to 2.2, is my phone a G1 or G2?

Guest vicsekm

Hi,

I bought a ZTE Blade gen2 from Vodafone Hungary. Everything worked like a charm. I already installed Swedish Spring RLS5 on it. I discovered that my devices sees only 256 MB RAM, but has 512MB in it. I know that i cant use the fix for the gen1 devices. I already connected Vodafone, cause they actually sell this devices with 512MB RAM. So it's actually their fault and they said they will look in to it, but I rather find a fix somewhere else. I dont want to revert my device to factory firmware just to enable their fix, if they will have one. Do you know anything about this problem? Can anyone help me? And thanks for the infos, it were very helpful so far.

Edited by vicsekm

Guest eLJay
How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE u-v880 or GEN2 device

STOP
This page is for ZTE u-v880 devices that have the old style memory layout [GEN2] blades.

Too much copy and paste there, to avoid user confusion it should read...

STOP
This page is for ZTE u-v880 devices that have the new style memory layout [GEN2] blades.

Guest ghosttp

Hello, i am a newbie.

mine is jap verv880, a gen2 model

I jusy flash to RLS5 last night

but i found that there are problem on partition the SD card.

when i search on the internet,

some other people suggest that there are errors on partition using 3.0.2.4

and he suggest to use 3.0.1.4

but the point is,

his machine is a gen1,

and mine is a gen 2

when i am on this page,

http://android.podtwo.com/recovery/archived/

i have no idea on which 3.0.1.4 that a gen2 can use it

can anybody suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ghosttp

Guest StevenHarperUK
Too much copy and paste there, to avoid user confusion it should read...

STOP This page is for ZTE u-v880 devices that have the new style memory layout [GEN2] blades.

ta fixed

Guest alwaleef

Dears Steven, Faisal,

I have a ZTE U-V880 GEN 2 Blade from China Unicom with below informaion:

Baseband Version: P729B01

Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-perf

Build Number: ZTE-BladeV1.0.0B01

Android: 2.2

It is a test phone from ZTE with Arabic Version, but with bugs in Arabic RTL specially with SMS RTL is not working in the normal way and numbers come in wrong positions.

Execuse me for this as English is not my Native language and I am seeking your help & advise on the following:

1. Any method of unlocking the memeory from 256 to 512 K (System Total Memory 166.49 M).

2. Easyest & Best way to route, recovery, clockwork and prepare phone for upgrades.

3. Latest stable ROM which supports Arabic and fit this type of Blade.

Appreciate your help and thanks for the support you are giving to beginners like me.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Dears Steven, Faisal,

I have a ZTE U-V880 GEN 2 Blade from China Unicom with below informaion:

Baseband Version: P729B01

Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-perf

Build Number: ZTE-BladeV1.0.0B01

Android: 2.2

It is a test phone from ZTE with Arabic Version, but with bugs in Arabic RTL specially with SMS RTL is not working in the normal way and numbers come in wrong positions.

Execuse me for this as English is not my Native language and I am seeking your help & advise on the following:

1. Any method of unlocking the memeory from 256 to 512 K (System Total Memory 166.49 M).

2. Easyest & Best way to route, recovery, clockwork and prepare phone for upgrades.

3. Latest stable ROM which supports Arabic and fit this type of Blade.

Appreciate your help and thanks for the support you are giving to beginners like me.

Great set of questions - I am a bit out of touch with what's safe for ACTUAL GEN2 hardware - The ROMS here are good (swedish spring?) CM7?

But Be careful of TPT's

can anyone comment and help me out in a suggesting a good RTL (right TO Left) ROM?

Guest deb4sis

Hello,

I installed latest Cyanogenmod on my DELL XCD35 (ZTE Blade) using Clockworkmode Recovery. I did not take a backup. I want to go back to the stock ROM. I found the ROM from this link: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ade-stock-roms/ but when I flash it with Clockworkmode, it flashes fine but doesn't boot and stays on the Green Android Screen.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a different recovery method used for stock ROMs? Please suggest.

Thank you.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hello,

I installed latest Cyanogenmod on my DELL XCD35 (ZTE Blade) using Clockworkmode Recovery. I did not take a backup. I want to go back to the stock ROM. I found the ROM from this link: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ade-stock-roms/ but when I flash it with Clockworkmode, it flashes fine but doesn't boot and stays on the Green Android Screen.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a different recovery method used for stock ROMs? Please suggest.

Thank you.

What GEN is your device - GEN1 or GEN2

Which ROM did you install?

Have you done a Factory Reset (in Clockwork)?

Guest bahador

Please HELP

I think i've Bricked my ZTE V9 (2.2 upgraded already so it should be Gen2)

I managed to install the r12-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip via the clockwork

and now i'm stuck.

the clockwork recovery option is not coming up anymore when i do the Start + Vol -

Get Stuck on the andriod screen for good

rebooted many times...

dooooh

Guest Sand0r

I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding this, if i'm correct these are the stept to follow to get froyo 2.2 on your zte blade right? How long does this process take?

This is the full process right? so you root the phone, install clockworkrecovery, back up, and then install swedish spring, et voila?

Edited by Sand0r

Guest Charlie3999

Ok guys I really need your help. I messed up flashing and because I did things in the wrong order. Here's what I did:-

1. I upgraded gen1 to gen 2

2. I then wiped data/factory reset without flashing clockworkmod recovery.

3. The phone then rebooted and stayed on the green man screen and thats it.

4. I managed to finally find a clockworkmod that would work v3.0.1.4 none of the others came on, it just stayed at the green man screen.

5. I try flashing and all it say's:-

Install from sd card

Finding update

opening update

E:Can't open/sdcard/update.zip

(no such file or directory)

Installation aborted.

I did another phone at christmas and that worked fine because I did it in the right order. But I do remember when I flashed the clockworkmod it was green and upsidedown, but I can't find one that does that now.

Edited by Charlie3999

Guest dafreaking

The link for z4root 1.3.0 does not work.

These 2 files seem to have newer versions. Is it ok to use them?

ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b

recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2.img

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rockstarszzzz

Hi all!

I know this is already asked a few times in different ways. I have read those posts too! However, I will really appreaciate if someone can help me with this particular confusion.

I have ZTE Blade which came with 2.1 Orange ROM. I then rooted, unlocked and using TPT method described in the forum, changed my GEN1 (2.1, AMOLED) phone to GEN2 (2.3.3, AMOLED) phone as I flashed CM7 Stable version 7.0.3

I have used it for few days, but I found several bugs that annoy me. I wanted to switch back to a 'debranded' but stock rom. I am presuming it's basically an Orange rom but without Orange bloatware.

Now my confusion is:

1) Is my phone permenantly GEN2 now?

2) If I want to install stock ROM, do I need back to GEN1?

3) Should I be ONLY flashing stock for GEN2?

4) I've presume GEN2 is better than GEN1 - so if I flash GEN2 stock over CM7 stable version 7.0.3 (for GEN2), will I keep GEN2 but downgrade to 2.1?

5) Is it the same if I go for a 2.2 Froyo custom rom from here?

6) Also, I did flash N85 on top of 7.0.3 Stable and then switched back. Does this mean that I still have the bugs/errors from N85 build on my phone? No matter what and how I flash?

Thanks a lot in advance and awaiting help :D

Edited by rockstarszzzz

Guest kventin

Hi Steven,

I bought a ZTE Blade from Hungarian Vodafone. The phone shows 166 MB RAM as total system memory and 160 MB ROM :D

Yesterday I installed Swedish_Spring_RLS5 ROM. Unfortunately after a successful installation the total available RAM is still 166 MB. This value is the same as before.

I didn’t check the total amount of the ROM because I got angry and I restored the phone on the original stock ROM.

I don’t know if somebody else has tried to solve the RAM issue on Hungarian Vodafeon. If yes, please advise me.

However during the installation process I met some strange things:

1. I’ve should download ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b but I didn’t found that only Recovery Manager 0.34b on the given link(s). The screenshots from Recovery Manager 0.34b show ZTE Blade Recovery Manager. After installation of the app, it showed Recovery Manager. Why?

2. When I wanted to install recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2.img, the Recover Manager said: Unrecognized image or something similar. Why?

Finally I could install recovery-clockwork-3.2 but don’t ask how. I don’t know that. I tried many other ways to install a custom ROM but the all failed somewhere the installation process. By chance during a reboot Clockwork started to operate on my phone. I was surprised but curious, and I installed Swedish Spring RLS5 on the way you describet in:

3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually

Unfortunately as I mentioned earlier it hasn’t solved the 166 MB problem.

Do you have any idea what the problem can be?

Why I cannot find ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager and why it doesn’t want to recognize Clockwork, however I followed your description from step by step?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Anyway, your description about how to install a custom ROM is great. It one of the best descriptions for dummies on the Internet. Thanks for it. I think other geeks should follow as you make instructions.

Regards,

Kventin

Edited by kventin

Guest ivoonedqlkov

When i try to install the recovery it says: "Currently instaled recovery: unrecognized"

What do i have to do?

I tried to go with the button down and start the phone but sits only green man?????

Guest rockstarszzzz
When i try to install the recovery it says: "Currently instaled recovery: unrecognized"

What do i have to do?

I tried to go with the button down and start the phone but sits only green man?????

Someone how this thread and the rest feels like totally helpless threads! hardly get helped :D

Guest agrima350z
The instructions say

Hit the MENU button then choose UPDATE DATABASE

Have you done this?

Otherwise:

Once you have RECOVERY on your phone, you can just follow

3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually

Fistly thanks for an easy to understand post.

I too am upto the point where I install the clockwork recovery file. The message down below says the recovery file is unrecognised.

I ensured wifi and or 3G were connected and updated the database from the menu button.

I've tried rebooting into recovery, but I just get the green android logo with a solid red LED - doesnt boot to clockwork screen. I've also removed the battery, powered on with volume (-) held down, same thing happens.

I've tried multiple versions of the clockwork recovery img and multiple versions of recovery manager (the newest available as well as the versions posted right above) - just doesnt want to work for me.

Been at it for a few hours now, and was hoping to get a bit of help.

Other items to note.

Pigfish told me it was a 2nd Gen ZTE Blade

z4root works

astro file manager used

reason for meddling: want to install CM7

Hope you can help ;)

Thanks

Andrew

Guest rockstarszzzz
Fistly thanks for an easy to understand post.

I too am upto the point where I install the clockwork recovery file. The message down below says the recovery file is unrecognised.

I ensured wifi and or 3G were connected and updated the database from the menu button.

I've tried rebooting into recovery, but I just get the green android logo with a solid red LED - doesnt boot to clockwork screen. I've also removed the battery, powered on with volume (-) held down, same thing happens.

I've tried multiple versions of the clockwork recovery img and multiple versions of recovery manager (the newest available as well as the versions posted right above) - just doesnt want to work for me.

Been at it for a few hours now, and was hoping to get a bit of help.

Other items to note.

Pigfish told me it was a 2nd Gen ZTE Blade

z4root works

astro file manager used

reason for meddling: want to install CM7

Hope you can help ;)

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have had same issue before with this. What I did was:

Install ROM Manager (FREE) from market place or you might find .apk somewhere on internet.

From ROM Manager it was easy to boot into Recovery.

However, I guess it's too late for you as you can't go past the green android, right?

The best thing to try is:

Remove your memory card and then try to reboot.

98% chances are you will get at least one ROM, either new or old working by this method. Once you pass green android, try to get into recovery using ROM Manager.

Also, from now on clean these 3 things:

Dalvik Cache

Wipe Data/ Factory reset

Wipe Cache

All 3 options can be seen in recovery mode, that you enter via ROM Manager.

Hope I've helped :P

Guest rwalton159
Install ROM Manager (FREE) from market place or you might find .apk somewhere on internet.

From ROM Manager it was easy to boot into Recovery.

Hope I've helped :)

Nice one B)

Guest kventin
Hi,

I already connected Vodafone, cause they actually sell this devices with 512MB RAM.

Hello vicsekm,

I would like to ask your help.

I want to complain at customer protection office (Fogyasztóvédelem) because of Hungarian Vodafone. They have been selling software fault ZTE Blade cellphones without any warning however they have known the problem since April.

You wrote you contacted with Vodafone in April. Could you be so kind as to share me the identification number of your bug report sheet? (A Bejelentőlap –on a jegyazonosító száma). The number of mine is: 4137750

I complained to Hungarian Vodafone about the software fault ZTE Blades. They’ve offered me 3.000 HUF refund on my phone number. If you think, you can do the same. It does not matter, you are over the grace period (3 or 8 days) because the phones have hidden problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Kventin

ps: Hungarian Vodafone is testing a patch to release up 512 MB RAM for Blades.