28 Jul Fr19: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (new: custom kernel)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Kouwezakkie
Lol, wish they'd spend more time fixing the basics.

Sort of like a cherry on a turd.

I've lost all hope that LG's GB edition will be worth my time. LG seems to go the same way as Samsung -- and let's face it: we all (myself included!) probably went for the marketing hype of 'the first dual-core smartphone ever' and LG f***ed us over. We forked over the cash, they pocketed it and as said before in this thread, their engineers are probably drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. I'd rather have them do that than develop the OS, because they really s*** at software development.

I've been running CM7 since .31, and although I initially ran into a few quirks, most of them (almost all of them, I guess) have been ironed out. The only thing I've been struggling with for the last two days has been a 'random' lock-up (screen isn't totally black, but cannot be properly unlocked either, necessitating a battery pull and reboot). Could be related to installed software (possibly Llama, althlugh that'd be really bad because I love Llama!).

I really endorse djmcnz's comment above -- CM7, for most of the 'general users', is rock-stable, speedy and convenient, at least as daily use is concerned. I do not use GPS anymore on my phone (I have a Garmin Zumo 660 for both car and motorcycle use), and I couldn't care less for 1080p output. But of course, YMMV, and it still comes down to personal preferences. I'm happy with even the current CM7, though.

@djmcnz: As a sidenote: I get a mental image of a turd with a cherry on it, but it has one of those little flags on top that we Dutch sometimes put on our cheese and meat snacks (bitterballen, anyone?). (Seeing you live in Amsterdam - you weren't Dutch, right? -- you probably know what I'm talking about.)

Guest djmcnz
@djmcnz: As a sidenote: I get a mental image of a turd with a cherry on it, but it has one of those little flags on top that we Dutch sometimes put on our cheese and meat snacks (bitterballen, anyone?). (Seeing you live in Amsterdam - you weren't Dutch, right? -- you probably know what I'm talking about.)

Live in Ams (love it), not Dutch (Kiwi), and I LOVE bitterballen... :P Possibly the only expat that does... ;) "Don't ask what's inside"

Edited by djmcnz

Guest PhilNelwyn
Rumors say that maybe LG will release 2.3.3 in October...

Maybe it takes a long time because they'll skip Gingerbread and give us Ice Cream Sandwich ? ;)

Guest Shadman2011
Selling mine tomorrow for a SGSII... Can't take this game that LG is playing against us, not a day longer. I absolutely adore my O2X but i prefer my sanity ;)

Good job LG! You laid your hands on the most hi-tech piece of hardware available and reduced it to... ah whatever.

Paul, thank you for what you've given me so far and hopefully i will come across a kitchen for the SII (although, to be honest, anyone who has played with it even for a few seconds, already knows it is FAST)...

Well having had my hands on a SGS2 it feels a lot like a dummy phone u get in a phone shop, now I'm not trying to say that it's a crap phone, cos I know it's not, but to me it feels a lot too light and plastic.... Where as the O2X feels a little more solid in the hand athough I know Paul likes the SGS2

Paul has done a pretty fantastic job with this phone saying what he has had been given by LG and I've used his roms since I've had the phone and I think that this phone is snappy enough for every day use now and I think the only reason I'll change again is a decent 3d phone now....

Guest thedicemaster
Why wont you do it yourself and let Paul focus on making the device better instead of playing around with customization ?

There are many different guides online, this is one of them :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1096068

several reasons:

i cant code

i don't have access to the MCR source code

there are no guides(no, that one is not for the screen on/off animation, its for the boot animation)

Guest djpalmis
Maybe it takes a long time because they'll skip Gingerbread and give us Ice Cream Sandwich ? ;)

This reminds me when (in February) people say that what we saw in blog's reviews were prototype devices with prototype software..

The truth is as Kouwezakkie said: LG has our money. That's it. No need to improve.

BUT I don't care about CM: I did't spent 500 euro to buy a phone that can do a videocall (gps and so on) but it is not enabled by software.. So, sorry, but in my opinion that is crazy!

I'd prefer stock, instead!

Guest Squide

If Google have not release android versions so quickly..

I'm sure everyone here would be happy with their 2X running MCR.

Look at these figures..

Screen-shot-2011-06-03-at-2.28.07-PM.png

Until now, Froyo is still the most popular version on the market.

LG is actually, doing "PAR".

To be honest, if I were them, I would also put the money on the future model which bundle with newer version of android..

instead of keep updating the aging mobile phone.. as smartphone's life cycle is now shorten to only 1-1.5 years.

Google is the source of problem in my opinion. ;)

Guest Involver
+1

1 thing for sure: i will never ever buy a samsungphone because it looks after 2 month of use, like a 1year old phone.

with my lg and pauls rom i´m happy at this time. there is no need for 2.3.3 or 2.3.4

+ 1 - I checked out that cheap piece of plastic called SGS2 and then went home feeling lucky I've bought the O2X. Currently running FR18b2 and it's absolutely great. Sure, it has occasional hickups (but really really occasional), but maybe there's an app to blame and not necessarily the ROM. Paul -> you've made the L2X a decent phone for day to day use!

At this point I couldn't care less about LG upgrading they're allready shitty 2.2 software to a probably even shittier GB version. I'll stick with something that works...

Guest jambezuk
hi

is there a way to test 18b2 version freely or i must pay for that ?

Yea either ad-free or modaco plus to access the kitchens. Either that or wait till it's deemed stable then it'll be released as a free pre-bake.

Guest Deathmo

Hm, I don't get oc to work.

Instaled Pimp my CPU but everything above stock speed is grey and I can't choose it.

Very Strange.

I use Fr17-vanilla-update-modacocustomrom-2x-kitchen-unsigned.

I tried out a few other kernels but none of them worked 4 me.

Can any one help me please.

Hm, I don't get oc to work.

Instaled Pimp my CPU but everything above stock speed is grey and I can't choose it.

Very Strange.

I use Fr17-vanilla-update-modacocustomrom-2x-kitchen-unsigned.

I tried out a few other kernels but none of them worked 4 me.

Can any one help me please.

let your finger and hold on one of higher frec ;)

Guest Ph4nt0m

I think Paul said that kitchen should remember our selections for ROM, if I refresh the page after baking the ROM, everything is set to default so I have to check/uncheck everything again? Does it work for others? I am using FR18b2 kitchen or is this option maybe only for Fr17?

Guest johnnydj

Samsung gave 4 SGS2's to the CM7 team, and they told them specifically to GB running on the SGS2 phones.

so Samsung doesn't waste their time on making GB, instead they make new phones ;)

Guest Involver
Samsung gave 4 SGS2's to the CM7 team, and they told them specifically to GB running on the SGS2 phones.

so Samsung doesn't waste their time on making GB, instead they make new phones :P

That's really a great idea... ;)! So there will be loads and loads of buggy ROMS and who's to blame? Samsung for letting the CM7 team developing new ROMS or the CM7 team for developing ROMS which are inherently buggy in the beginning... And no support from Samsung either (though support is something very illusive nowadays). Nah... I'd rather depend on BOTH (being the manufacturer and the dev community).

Guest Qwertymon
That's really a great idea... ;)! So there will be loads and loads of buggy ROMS and who's to blame? Samsung for letting the CM7 team developing new ROMS or the CM7 team for developing ROMS which are inherently buggy in the beginning... And no support from Samsung either (though support is something very illusive nowadays). Nah... I'd rather depend on BOTH (being the manufacturer and the dev community).

well it is, frankly it appeases the dire hard modders, samsung can say they helped the community and people with the sgs2 can get after warranty software updates from cyanogen, frankly its win/win for samsung

Paul, a new european firmware is released: LGP990AT-00-V10c-NEU-XXX-JUN-06-2011+0

And it plays MKV.

that's not true...no MKV support..