[ROM] CyanogenMod 7

Guest AntonioPT

Guest anarkill
running #su install rommanager.apk

It's Wrong! android not a complete Linux! to give root permition You must type su and press enter.

For example:

$ su

# a2sd cachesd

# reboot

where I'm type 'su' and press enter. I get root permition. Only after it I use a2sd =)

and because android not a complete Linux you can't use command 'install application.apk'

Market is not be repositary =( Install apps from file managers or from market / ADVERTISING SPAM / blackmart ...

Sorry for my bad English!

Edited by anarkill

Guest anarkill
F Tried running the .apk from file manager and it reboots to android logo.

Maybe this is problems with ext partition. You use ext3 or ext2 ??

Try to flash CM7 ROM with this instruction

Solution with market found! (Maybe)

Who have just started to put this ROM:

1) Install this ROM and DT a2sd. Don't install GAPPS!!

2) Boot phone and enter in terminal

su

a2sd reinstall

reboot
Then
su

a2sd cachesd

reboot
Then
su

a2sd swappy15

3) After it boot into recovery and flash GAPPS =)

Enjoy the ROM with a working market!

and try to create an ext2 partition with using Amon-Ra Recovery, because Gparted in Arch and debian / ubuntu does it little incorrectly. But CM7 flash with Clockwork recovery.

Edited by anarkill

Guest arlindo.costa
Here I have 'Automatic' - I have not changed this to external since I want to partition the sd card first before moving stuff onto it.

At the moment all I am trying to do is install Rommanager so I can use it to partition the microSD card so I can then try to transfer dalvik cache + apps to the sd card using the settings you mention but I am trying to work out why he package manager is hanging installing any app..

running #su install rommanager.apk

gives me:

#

but then I reboot and have no rommanager icon on the list of applications so I suppose not much happened with that command. Partitioning the sdcard is not a major issue - will just run gparted as root on my archlinux box when I get home.

So my big remaining issue (which is a show-stopper) is still installing applications with this rom.. Trying to install via andriod market also causes a reboots after the software is downloaded. I found this guide I am going to try:

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xpe...-4-newbies.html

unless someone knows of a simpler way?

Thanks all for your replies,

Peter

As far as I know when you use DT A2SD this should be set to Internal otherwise when Android tries to install to the SD card, DT A2SD and Froyo A2SD clash resulting in reboot!

Edited by arlindo.costa

Guest pedrojaime

Thankyou Anarkill, partitioning SD with AmonRA seems to confuse Gingerbread though - getting warning messages.

Setting install location to 'internal' instead of automatic does not seem to help with the reboot issue either when installing .apk files from file manager, market or otherwise.

Now, I have a confession to make. I have a sneaking suspicion that this reboot issue is my fault and nothing to do with Cyanogen Gingerbread rom. Why? Because I lost patience and reverted to an old FLB nandroid backup last night. I did not test this but then went to Antonio's Cyanogen-pulse-plus and today I notice that I get exactly the same issue in froyo - as soon as something is installing it reboots.

So my question now (to ensure a clean build), are these the best instructions to follow:

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...e/#entry1318842

Will try now and report back.

thanks a lot,

Peter

EDIT: hopefully my 3G will come back with the stock 2.1 rom in these instructions, otherwise will have to flash Venezuela 2.1 ROM for Latin America to get the correct 3G band for Ecuador working..

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest al-xcartier

Just want to say 2 big thumbs up to AntonioPT and TomG!

Coming from Tom's CM6 which ran perfectly on my U8230 and his Gingerbread Alpha which never really worked, I installed 1.) the CM7, 2.) the Gapps, 3.) the DT Apps2SD. Gave me a black screen with only a status bar and a screen saver just after a crashed setup for like a day. Miraciously, installing it over and over again helped and it finally set up.

After that I had problems with the market: market app was missing and phone rebooted on every app-over-the-market-website installation attempt. Downloaded all App's *.apk's I needed, but phone kept rebooting on every "local" install attempt. Reinstalling for like the 20th time helped: now I have the market app installed ***and*** am able to to install the *.apks offline.

It's a pity camera is not working but not really important - what really counts is a community as creative as the Pulse's who was able to port Gingerbread to a device his own manufacturer was sure it would never support more than Eclair.

Thank you again Antonio and Tom!

P.S. Battery life is okay, in the same range as CM6, meaning 2-3 days on standby with WLAN enabled.

Edited by al-xcartier

Guest jimmie32

The A2SD method still doesn't work for my U8220-6 unfortunately. I guess I'll flash the ROM a few more times to see if its luck, haha.

Not asking for an update, but I'd like to just give a few suggestions.. of course, it's your take whether to implement them or not (AntonioPT, and anyone else working on this), I know it's hard work and you're not getting paid for this, so keep up the good work and again, thanks :)

1. 2D Gallery. Can we just get the good old 2.0/2.1 gallery (not cooliris) that doesn't crash? The GPU (Adreno 130 I think, or we just don't have any?) in our Pulses just can't keep up with the 3D animations etc in the cooliris gallery, causing constant crashes and its really annoying...

2. Working Camera driver, if you can do it. It'd be great... Or we could bug Huawei and force them into giving us the source. They most likely won't though. I can speak Chinese so I can probably give it a try; also I know some people from inside... Maybe I could ask them :P

3. Fix the market restart problem. The A2SD approach doesn't work for my U8220-6, so it's a little sad. ;)

4. Of course, performance optimizations. :)

5. CM7-RC4 source please? This should be a little easier.. right? I don't know, but I think you said you compiled it with the CM7 source and the device config, so it shouldn't be much harder than compiling the current ROM.

Thanks! :)

Guest al-xcartier
Or we could bug Huawei and force them into giving us the source.

Sorry Jimmie but I couldn't help but laughing. We could beg Huawei, in fact, there already bugged enough:)

Alex

Edited by al-xcartier

Guest AntonioPT
The A2SD method still doesn't work for my U8220-6 unfortunately. I guess I'll flash the ROM a few more times to see if its luck, haha.

Not asking for an update, but I'd like to just give a few suggestions.. of course, it's your take whether to implement them or not (AntonioPT, and anyone else working on this), I know it's hard work and you're not getting paid for this, so keep up the good work and again, thanks :)

1. 2D Gallery. Can we just get the good old 2.0/2.1 gallery (not cooliris) that doesn't crash? The GPU (Adreno 130 I think, or we just don't have any?) in our Pulses just can't keep up with the 3D animations etc in the cooliris gallery, causing constant crashes and its really annoying...

2. Working Camera driver, if you can do it. It'd be great... Or we could bug Huawei and force them into giving us the source. They most likely won't though. I can speak Chinese so I can probably give it a try; also I know some people from inside... Maybe I could ask them ;)

3. Fix the market restart problem. The A2SD approach doesn't work for my U8220-6, so it's a little sad. :(

4. Of course, performance optimizations. :)

5. CM7-RC4 source please? This should be a little easier.. right? I don't know, but I think you said you compiled it with the CM7 source and the device config, so it shouldn't be much harder than compiling the current ROM.

Thanks! :)

1. Yes, considering that 3D Gallery is very slow and crash-prone, I'll include the old gallery in the next release.

2. I'm working on that... And well, if you know some people from inside, ask them :P

3. Can someone give me a logcat of when Market/apk install crashes so I can see what's going on?

4 & 5. RC4 brings a lot of performance optimizations. Yes it's easy to update to RC4...

The next release will take place later on this week.

About the Ndrive app crashing: It's very likely that it's the native library that is not compatible with gingerbread. Only ndrive can fix that.

Guest Tom G

I really should read this forum more often.

I have a few fixes to push up.

Compcache now works and has speed it up a little. I'm not sure why people are having speed problems, its ok for me. The copybit issue might be slowing it down a bit, it can be fixed as is, but I want to go to a newer kernel to fix it.

It is also significantly smaller with my current setup (system is down to 76MB).

wifi tethering almost works (it sees the device connecting, but device fails to get an IP).

I've had a bit of a play with the camera but nothing useful to report. Still broken.

This should be officially merged into CyanogenMod next week sometime.

I'm not going to read the whole thread, but if someone wants to put together a summary of reported bugs it may help with getting things fixed (I'm not interested in any a2sd bugs unless related to the official a2sd).

Guest AntonioPT

Compcache now works and has speed it up a little. I'm not sure why people are having speed problems, its ok for me. The copybit issue might be slowing it down a bit, it can be fixed as is, but I want to go to a newer kernel to fix it.

It is also significantly smaller with my current setup (system is down to 76MB).

wifi tethering almost works (it sees the device connecting, but device fails to get an IP).

I've had a bit of a play with the camera but nothing useful to report. Still broken.

I'm not going to read the whole thread, but if someone wants to put together a summary of reported bugs it may help with getting things fixed (I'm not interested in any a2sd bugs unless related to the official a2sd).

What did you do to get /system so small? I removed some un-needed apps (CMWallpapers, ROMManager, ...) and some big binaries (e.g irrsi - 3mb) but it's still very close to the 100MB limit. I had to do adaptations to the DT A2SD and Gapps installers so people could install that.

Doesn't wifi tethering require a .32 kernel?

About the camera, I talked with the CM7 developer for the Huawei Ascend (very similar phone, like a U8230 with CDMA) and they have been using a "beta" froyo driver released by Huawei. See his git repo here: https://github.com/isaacj87/android_device_huawei_ascend

Guest anarkill

There is a problem with 3D graphics. In such a test as Quadrant Advanced and the similar 3D graphics is displayed as black and white textures. This is a problem with the new version of OpenGL or ROM problem as a whole?

Edited by anarkill

Guest jimmie32

@AntonioPT, I'm not really familiar with the Android SDK and stuff... I'll try logcat out and see if I can get you a debug output soon. Is there a detailed guide here? If not, I can go google. :)

I should be meeting a few Huawei guys soon - though they have the power (those guys are like leaders of whole departments), it's not easy to ask. I'll try to see if I can squeeze anything out of them. :)

@Tom G: Woo, official CM7 merge! That'd be so, awesome. :) Thanks for all your work!

Guest thisweb

Are you talking about official 2.3 wifi tethering or any tethering? ie. does Barnicle Wifi tether work? If so, I don't see the point in wasting time with this issue. This is a free app and works great for me. Camera bug is definately top priority for most I feel. You've done an amazing job here Tom. I think this will probably make the pulse the lowest spec Android Gingerbread phone in the world. Woohoo! I was about to upgrade phone, I'm gonna wait till xmas now. The best bargain I have ever bought. I don't know if anyone remember the days of Rockbox? I milked out all sorts of extra features on my sansa Mp3 player with that project ( I thought games and wallpaper on a machbox MP3 player was the end game for future gagets...how wrong was I ?). You keep that same warm fuzzy geeky community excitement alive. Thanks.

Guest thisweb

Does this mean Tom is presently working on .32+ kernel? I didn't know that was still a viable option without Whoarewe. Wow.

Edited by thisweb

Guest thisweb

One thing I really like physically about the pulse is the usb/headphone cover. I was sure this would fail and break after a week but hasn't, its an important problem to protect ports from damage and this simple but cleverly implemented design works really well. Sliders and open ports collect crud, I've seen this on more expensive phones. ...back to topic...

Guest AntonioPT
Are you talking about official 2.3 wifi tethering or any tethering? ie. does Barnicle Wifi tether work? If so, I don't see the point in wasting time with this issue. This is a free app and works great for me. Camera bug is definately top priority for most I feel. You've done an amazing job here Tom. I think this will probably make the pulse the lowest spec Android Gingerbread phone in the world. Woohoo! I was about to upgrade phone, I'm gonna wait till xmas now. The best bargain I have ever bought. I don't know if anyone remember the days of Rockbox? I milked out all sorts of extra features on my sansa Mp3 player with that project ( I thought games and wallpaper on a machbox MP3 player was the end game for future gagets...how wrong was I ?). You keep that same warm fuzzy geeky community excitement alive. Thanks.

Barnacle wifi tether works just fine for me, but integrated Wifi tether is also good... I think he's talking about native wifi tether, but IIRC that needs a .32 kernel...

Guest totiadrenalin
when i try to install apk file my Tphone reboot :)

This is common issue in cm6, I just want to know is ste speed performance issue present in this rom, as with the first cm7 rom released by TOM G?

Guest totiadrenalin
This is common issue in cm6, I just want to know is ste speed performance issue present in this rom, as with the first cm7 rom released by TOM G?

Copybit doesn't work on this rom.

E/copybit ( 1350): copyBits failed (Operation not permitted)

D/copybit ( 1350): 0: src={w=320, h=480, f=11, rect={0,25,320,455}}

D/copybit ( 1350):	 dst={w=320, h=480, f=0, rect={0,25,320,455}}

D/copybit ( 1350):	 flags=00020000

You can see the logcat attached.

log.txt

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest totiadrenalin

Antonio.

Put this Hungary Pulse 2.1 update on the first post. it have 110MB /system partition.

So everyone will have enough memory in the system.

Tom. Please find the copybit problem.

Not for me, but for everyone who wont to use the CM7 rom.

Edited by totiadrenalin