Can't access recovery

Guest hazi1964

Guest hazi1964

Having managed to root my galaxy s using the one click root and also sorting out the lag problem, I would like to do a nandroid back up.

However, the only way I can access any recovery is via rom manager which takes me to the first screen with the blue print. I can't get any further than that.

When I did try the 3 button method, I got to the galaxy s splash screen, continued holding all three buttons down as per guidlines in a different thread, it kept going back into the splash screen without going into recovery, I held on for several cycles and then gave up and let go of the power and it just booted normally.

Am I right in thinking some of the galaxy's were shipped without the ability to access recovery via the 3 button method?

What I need to know is, if I can only access recovery via either adb or rom manager, what do I do if I do something and my phone won't boot? This would mean my phone would be bricked right?

I don't think there would be any point taking it back to the store as they only had one left which is the one I now have, plus, they know nothing about booting into recovery there, all they know is how to operate the phones out of the box.

Any suggestions as to what I can do or am I stuck with the risk of ending up with a bricked phone if and when it decides not to power up at all?

Thanks in advance.

Alison

Alison

Guest richardj
Having managed to root my galaxy s using the one click root and also sorting out the lag problem, I would like to do a nandroid back up.

However, the only way I can access any recovery is via rom manager which takes me to the first screen with the blue print. I can't get any further than that.

When I did try the 3 button method, I got to the galaxy s splash screen, continued holding all three buttons down as per guidlines in a different thread, it kept going back into the splash screen without going into recovery, I held on for several cycles and then gave up and let go of the power and it just booted normally.

Am I right in thinking some of the galaxy's were shipped without the ability to access recovery via the 3 button method?

What I need to know is, if I can only access recovery via either adb or rom manager, what do I do if I do something and my phone won't boot? This would mean my phone would be bricked right?

I don't think there would be any point taking it back to the store as they only had one left which is the one I now have, plus, they know nothing about booting into recovery there, all they know is how to operate the phones out of the box.

Any suggestions as to what I can do or am I stuck with the risk of ending up with a bricked phone if and when it decides not to power up at all?

Thanks in advance.

Alison

Alison

Power phone OFF and wait 60 seconds.

Press and hold the following: Volume up + Home + Power.

Now when the phone gets to the Samsung boot screen, the one that says Galaxy S I9000, release just the power key.

Keeping the Volume up and Home keys pressed until your see a screen with blue text at the top. The top line will say Samsung Recovery 3e. If you can see this you are now in recovery mode.

Guest hazi1964
Power phone OFF and wait 60 seconds.

Press and hold the following: Volume up + Home + Power.

Now when the phone gets to the Samsung boot screen, the one that says Galaxy S I9000, release just the power key.

Keeping the Volume up and Home keys pressed until your see a screen with blue text at the top. The top line will say Samsung Recovery 3e. If you can see this you are now in recovery mode.

Many thanks Richard, I have tried this but maybe didn't wait long enough for the phone to be switched off before trying, am about to try it again. I also have a screen protector which was covering the home key and have now cut it down so that the home key is much easier to press. Am hoping this and waiting will solve the problem, if not, I know there is a .bat fix which I am trying to work out how to do but obviously would prefer it if I could do it without that.

My other question here is once I get to the blue screen, how do I then get to the next screen? So used to doing it on the Desire that it was second nature but the Galaxy isn't quite the same is it. lol.

Alison

Guest hazi1964

Nope, didn't work phone just boots normally no matter what.

I can get to the blue screen via rom manager but that's it, no further. I can't even back up my rom (stock original out of the box rom at the moment).

Tried to back it up in rom manager which took me to the first recovery screen, that's it, any suggestions?

I daren't do anything to my phone other than the root and lagfix I did yesterday until I know I can get into full recovery.

Is there a fake flash available at all like there is for the desire? That might do it but wouldn't solve not being able to do the 3 button recovery of course which is what I really need.

Any help much appreciated.

Alison

Guest richardj
Nope, didn't work phone just boots normally no matter what.

I can get to the blue screen via rom manager but that's it, no further. I can't even back up my rom (stock original out of the box rom at the moment).

Tried to back it up in rom manager which took me to the first recovery screen, that's it, any suggestions?

I daren't do anything to my phone other than the root and lagfix I did yesterday until I know I can get into full recovery.

Is there a fake flash available at all like there is for the desire? That might do it but wouldn't solve not being able to do the 3 button recovery of course which is what I really need.

Any help much appreciated.

Alison

Hi Alison, have just tried to PM you but it just says this member has chosen to not receive PM's

Kies. As I said in a previous PM to you, Kies can be a pain in the back side but having said that I have never had any problems with it. Some people that use windows 64bit operating systems do have problems, it's something to do with the drivers.

Samfirmware.com is where you can get the firmware and odin from once you have registered on the site.

samsunggalaxysforum is a forum dedicated to the Galaxy S, this is where you will normally find me.

I would suggest you follow the guide on XDA for getting recovery and download modes working before you do anything, I can not stress enough just how important it is to have it working. I have heard some people have had problems trying to get this to work because of the commands needed.

Once you have recovery and download modes working, you will be able to do get into recovery by using the 3 buttons: Power phone off and wait 60 seconds. Press and hold the volume up + Home + power keys.

When phone boots to the boot screen Galaxy S I9000, release just the power button.

Keep the volume up and home keys pressed until you see the screen with blue text.

The blue text will give you options, you use the volume up and down keys to navigate and the home key to OK the action you want.

If you have already rooted your phone you could download Rom Manager from the market, you will then be able to boot into recovery from with in Rom Manager.

We all have to start some where, I don't mind you asking questions at all. I have had my SGS since the beginning of July last year and have learnt a lot and am still learning.

Richard

Guest hazi1964

[sOLVED]

Applied the fix here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...hlight=recovery

If anybody experiences problems with the device not being recognised, go to your computer's device manager and check the drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S, if there is an exclamation mark you may need to download drivers again and re install them.

I can't give full instructions as my friend was doing it by remotely connecting and had full control of my computer but we got there in the end.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Alison

• 1 month later...