gen1 to gen2 and gen2 to gen1, windows flashing only

Guest hecatae

Guest Frankish
There are more reasons to update to Gen2 than there are to stay with Gen1. If Orange UK release an official 2.2 update then it will update the phone to Gen2 anyway so why not do it now?

Gen2 uses much newer radio libs which provide HSUPA support and much better signal strength.

CM7 will be moving to Gen2 only once final is released. I expect any future custom roms to do the same too.

Its that last part definitely true?

Guest hecatae
If I upgrade to Gen2 using gen2_org_partitions, is there any reason why I couldn't flash stock Gen2 after that. For example can I flash FRY_EFIN_P729BV1.0.0B04 (Saunalahti stock 2.2, from stock roms thread) instead of SS-RLS4b? Wil this result bricked blade or "official" saunalahti 2.2 phone?

I'm running that rom at the moment, no issues

Btw, has anyone with a Chinese V880 dared tried a Gen2 -> Gen2 conversion with these files? It may unlock 512Mb just like Gen1->Gen1 conversions did in Hungary and Greece. It may also lead to bricking.

I think it could be a bad idea, the chinese phones have a different radio, so a different amss.mbn. Also there would be no way back, because we dont have the chinese radio firmware, so if it doesnt work, then it's bricked.

I think that appsboot.mbn is where they set the memory limit, so flashing just appsboot.mbn & the partition files might work on a chinese phone, or they might really only have 256mb & break it. It would then still be possible to recover it using a tpt if it did mess up, if we had a chinese appsboot.mbn (we don't).

I wouldnt want to be the first to try it on a chinese phone.

It'd be good to find a way to backup the original .mbn files from a running phone, then experimentation would be a little bit safer.

Edited by wbaw

Guest kallt_kaffe
I think it could be a bad idea, the chinese phones have a different radio, so a different amss.mbn. Also there would be no way back, because we dont have the chinese radio firmware, so if it doesnt work, then it's bricked.

I think that appsboot.mbn is where they set the memory limit, so flashing just appsboot.mbn & the partition files might work on a chinese phone, or they might really only have 256mb & break it. It would then still be possible to recover it using a tpt if it did mess up, if we had a chinese appsboot.mbn (we don't).

I wouldnt want to be the first to try it on a chinese phone.

It'd be good to find a way to backup the original .mbn files from a running phone, then experimentation would be a little bit safer.

Isn't it just that Chinese phones have a Gen2 radio? The Gen2 RIL libs in Swedish Springs works on V880 phones asfaik.

However, I agree that it's not a safe thing to try. Perhaps if someone have an otherwise broken V880, like a cracked screen, it could be a good candidate for testing.

Guest Pakatus
Its that last part definitely true?

HCDRJacob posted this over Twitter:

Just to let you know, CM7 for ZTE Blade is planned for an upgrade to Gen2 after CM7.0.0 final. This will require you to update your phones

Guest Daimaah
Sorry if its a stupid question, but does this mean that the final version of CM7 will only be available for Gen 2 phones, or that the final version will be available to both but any changes after that will be Gen 2 only?

Final will work on Gen1, anything past that requires Gen2.

Guest css771
Look in the end of appsboot.mbn. You need to change it there and also partion_zte.mbn. Compare the different versions I've provided and you'll see how it works.

It seems to be an array with a string for the partition name, then comes the offset followed by the size. The numbers are 32bit but byte order is reversed.

So 00 04 00 00 in the hexeditor means 0x00000400. The number are the number of blocks where the block size is the "erase size". "cat /proc/mtd" will show the erase size and it is 0x20000 (128kb). So 00 04 00 00 in hexeditor is 0x400*0x20000=0x8000000=128Mb.

The array in appsboot.mbn and partition_zte.mbn should be identical. If you add the offset for a partition and add the size you'll see that it matches the offset for the next partition.

I think you'll figure out the rest from here.

Thanks for the instructions kk. I've edited the two files for 302 MB /data and 136 MB /system. Could you please take a look at the files and tell me if they're right.

I'd also sent you a pm about this but I dont know how frequently you check that.

EDIT: I used them for upgrading my phone and they worked fine. Just replace the 2 files of the same name in the "files" folder with the 2 files in this zip and then perform the upgrade as usual. They provide 302 MB for /data and 136 MB for /system.

files.zip

Edited by css771

Guest XStyhler

Followed the Instructions, everything worked like a charm.

Now I have a Gen2 Blade :)

But a Question: If I want to flash a new Recovery, do I need a Gen1 or Gen2 Recovery?

I'm a little confused now...

Guest kallt_kaffe
Followed the Instructions, everything worked like a charm.

Now I have a Gen2 Blade :)

But a Question: If I want to flash a new Recovery, do I need a Gen1 or Gen2 Recovery?

I'm a little confused now...

Gen2 recovery. Since you followed the guide you allready have the only Gen2 compatible Clockwork installed so do NOT try to replace it.

Guest simonsays1

I followed the guide carefully and managed to upgrade to Gen2.

The only thing that I couldn't work out was where the channel1.nvm was (in case of IMEI probs), so I couldn't back this up.

My phone is now running SS RSL4b very well, reception doesn't seem any different than before, and my network (3 UK) doesn't offer HSUDA so I can't test it.

Guest The Soup Thief
so since it doesn't better anything and I can't install most moded roms, there's really no rush to flash to Gen2 is there...?

That's the conclusion I've drawn, though Gen2 CM7 nightlies will change that

I'm gonna bide my time then upgrade at the weekend

Guest admanirv

So once i do this upgrade to GEN2 I can simply install todays CM7 final as i have done so before (same method)?

I'm confused to this partition thing, i have an ext3 partition on my memory card to store all apps to that, do i keep this and what partition size do i go for?

Thanks

Edited by admanirv

Guest admanirv

in the steps i dont understand this step...

1. Install stock recovery (if you are currently running clockwork) with the included recovery restorer.

How do i do that, i cant see options in CW?. Does it mean recover to an earlier backup?

Thanks

Edited by admanirv

Guest q12we3
I followed the guide carefully and managed to upgrade to Gen2.

The only thing that I couldn't work out was where the channel1.nvm was (in case of IMEI probs), so I couldn't back this up.

My phone is now running SS RSL4b very well, reception doesn't seem any different than before, and my network (3 UK) doesn't offer HSUDA so I can't test it.

Q.

Does this update alter the stored IMEI number on your phone?

Guest Oyorf

I have used partition mod earlier, and have something like 130Mt system partition. Does this have any effect for Gen1 - > Gen2 conversion? Just want to be sure, that I will not brick my blade if I do this conversion.