gen1 to gen2 and gen2 to gen1, windows flashing only

Guest hecatae

Guest Len Ash

Problem - have just had a go at updating a spare Gen 1 phone (1st spare was fine) and all good except all I get when trying to mount USB to copy a ROM over is: "E: unable to open ums lunfile (no such file or directory)"

Any ideas?

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Northern-Loop

So Ive upgrade to GEN 2 but do I have to install clockworkmod again?

Can't partition my SD card and when I try to rebook into CWD it just sticks on the green logo?

Guest mrradmir
when trying to mount USB to copy a ROM over is: "E: unable to open ums lunfile (no such file or directory)"

Any ideas?

buggy CW (usb mounting doesnt work and partitioning in 3.0.2.4 is broken)

Guest Len Ash

Aha - taking SD card out and adding ROM fine... CW 3.0.1.4 btw

Did the previous one with ROM on the SDCard already. I'm getting old...

Cheers

Edited by Len Ash

Guest jijijoujou1
I'm sorry but your phone is likely bricked.

I assume you installed CM7 (which is a Gen1 ROM) without installing the CM7 Gen2 converter afterwards?

That made your phone not being able to boot into android as the boot partition contains a Gen1 kernel and it will never boot on a Gen2 phone.

This in it self is not so bad as it can be resolved by either install the CM7 Gen2 converter or install a Gen2 compatible ROM.

However killing the recovery partition is bad when boot partition is also non working.

If you have either a working Clockwork on recovery partition OR a working stock recovery (shows FTM text instead of clockwork) then you can recover. Are you sure you didn't just restore an original Gen2 recovery partition? What happens if you power on with volume-down pressed?

As a last resort you could try holding both volume-up AND volume-down. This will give a black screen while the phone is actually on and there is a tool that can flash the phone (or so I've heard) in this mode but it was banned from this forum as it could do more than that (change IMEI). Perhaps if someone with this tool and the knowledge on how it is used reads this that person could send you a PM with details on how to recover. Or it might be worth a shoot to try the hacked flasher (first post in this thread) in this mode. I have not tried it, perhaps it can work in this mode too?

even when i hold volume + and - i get the green logo android

Guest MDCFan
even when i hold volume + and - i get the green logo android

Remove the battery, then insert it again (to ensure that you have correctly powered off device).

Hold volume + and - then without releasing those volume buttons also press power button and hold these three buttons it for a second (just to be sure).

The screen should remain blank.

Now connect USB cable to the computer and see if it recognizes your phone as a virtual com port (you can check it in device manager if you are on windows).

This method works with gen1 phones, but you can try it on your gen2 too.

Edited by MDCFan

Guest zabtcent

Hey u Guys...

I've upgraded my phone to GEN2 with 128mb partition... I wonder what should I do If I want to get back to standard partition sizes..any tips? THX in advance.

Guest jijijoujou1
Remove the battery, then insert it again (to ensure that you have correctly powered off device).

Hold volume + and - then without releasing those volume buttons also press power button and hold these three buttons it for a second (just to be sure).

The screen should remain blank.

Now connect USB cable to the computer and see if it recognizes your phone as a virtual com port (you can check it in device manager if you are on windows).

This method works with gen1 phones, but you can try it on your gen2 too.

Yes it does , what should i do now please ?!!!

Guest jamidodger1

I don't suppose someone could do a YouTube video of a step by step tutorial of how to do this? I think it'd help the more nervous (mainly me :$) to get it right and not bricking it in the process. It'd be good to show us how to use the program and then flash new GEN 2 Clockwork? I think it'd be a great help to the MoDaCo ZTE community.

Guest jijijoujou1
if flasher doesnt work (button "start" inactive) try old one (_Gen1) from this post.

Thank's a lot i could install clockwork now but i tried to install JJ rom and others rom and its just get in the clockwork menu each time a reboot it ?

Guest mrradmir
Thank's a lot i could install clockwork now but i tried to install JJ rom and others rom and its just get in the clockwork menu each time a reboot it ?
flash Comviq or Telia update.

Guest JayGB1982

I have no idea how to do this...

I downloaded gen_conversion... what next? these steps take alot for granted... Never used adb before...

Im on CM7 n38 gen1... How do i convert to Gen2?

Do I flash the original recovery zip underclockwork? to enable stock recovery?

Guest jijijoujou1

i donwloaded it but when i click on Start it say , This version is not matching, can not use this software ?

Guest Tripov
Do I flash the original recovery zip underclockwork? to enable stock recovery?

Yes. After that you will no longe have CW installed, but after the upgrade you'll end up in CW again... and you can flash your rom again. See also the topic that KK created about installing CM7 on gen2 phones.

Guest JayGB1982
Yes. After that you will no longe have CW installed, but after the upgrade you'll end up in CW again... and you can flash your rom again. See also the topic that KK created about installing CM7 on gen2 phones.

So let me get this right.

I firstly flash the original recovery zip under clockwork recovery?

Then flash SS ROM? Then run the upgrade...somehow?

How does the upgrade work / How do I run it?

Thanks for your help so far :)

Guest jijijoujou1

i donwloaded it but when i click on Start it say , This version is not matching, can not use this software ?

Guest mrradmir

Copy download_nochecksGen2.exe into c:\Windows\sysdy folder and execute it.

Guest Tripov
So let me get this right.

I firstly flash the original recovery zip under clockwork recovery?

Then flash SS ROM? Then run the upgrade...somehow?

How does the upgrade work / How do I run it?

Thanks for your help so far :)

1. Flash the stock recovery with CW

2. Boot into FTM and run the installer

3. Wait...

4. When end the phone reboot to CW

5. Install SS or another rom (must be compatible with GEN2 of course).

Guest Tripov
I take it then gen_conversion_ver2 is the latest Zip for GEN2 conversion?

This is so not easy to follow

Download version 1 (it has the standard recovery zip that you need to flash with CW).

Use version 2. Choose the partition layout you want (i've used gen2_128mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache).

Ok, so after flashing the standard recovery, go to the directory of the partition and run download_nochecksGen2.exe (Suppose you chose the same layout as me, and you've extracted the gen_conversion_ver2.zip to C:\, then goto C:\gen2_128mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache and run the download_nochecksGen2.exe).

If you have problems with the drivers then before doing this run the driverinstall.exe.

Guest jijijoujou1
Copy download_nochecksGen2.exe into c:\Windows\sysdy folder and execute it.

i did, but it's the same thing , should i try the teliasonera rom instead the sweden flasher ?

Guest JayGB1982

OK so I have downloaded both gen conversion packages.

I have put the restore stock recovery zip and the gen2_128mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache folder on the SD card

I will also put the latest CM7 and the KK gen 1 to gen2 CM convertion zip... Ready to flash after conversion

Anyway to add more space to system after this process like wbaws method?

I wanted to uss schwinni's extended gapps to system installer...

Anyway so basically now all i need to do is flash and run the original recovery, enter FTM via power on and vol+

Then run the download_nochecksGen2.exe? and wait while Gen2 convert takes place?

Then once back to CW flash ROM?

Edited by JayGB1982

Guest Tripov
OK so I have downloaded both gen conversion packages.

I have put the restore stock recovery zip and the gen2_128mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache folder on the SD card

I will also put the latest CM7 and the KK gen 1 to gen2 CM convertion zip... Ready to flash after conversion

Anyway to add more space to system after this process like wbaws method?

I wanted to uss schwinni's extended gapps to system installer...

Anyway so basically now all i need to do is flash and run the original recovery, enter FTM via power on and vol+

Then run the download_nochecksGen2.exe? and wait while Gen2 convert takes place?

Then once back to CW flash ROM?

In the sd card only need to put the stock recovery zip to flash it. The other remains in your PC.

To have more space in system choose another layout (see the file partition_layouts.txt included in the convertions.zip to see the space available in each layout and choose the one that suits you best). but the process is like you said, flash the stock recovery and then boot into FTM (it will show a white box with FTM letters on your device) then run the conversion file and in the end you flash your rom the usual way. It's basically like it's described in the first post.

It should be pretty easy but good luck.