11 Nov r2: BackToEXT3 - for converting your device, er, back to EXT3

Guest PaulOBrien

If you have been using a EXT4 ROM and you want to restore a stock ROM that only has EXT3 support, it's a bit of a faff. Introducing BackToEXT3. :D

This ClockworkMod update zip simply converts your /system, /data and cache partitions back to EXT3. It wipes them both in the process, so you need to have an existing backup / ROM to restore to.

• r2 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 90a891b9199913655dd622127bba3f70

HTH! B)

P

Guest katun79

Just a question: WHY?

Ext4 is supposed to be the best compromise between performance and data loss risk.

So why converting the phone back to ext3??

Guest vgard

Sorry for being such a noob, but i need some advice.. :D

Great progress with the tools and roms. Tried one yesterday, but need to convert back to EXT3..

Could someone please explain how i use the attached files? Downloaded them, but don't really know what to do with them.

Do I use them in ClockworkMod, or somewhere else?

Would really appreciate a few pointers. B)

Guest Korumera
Sorry for being such a noob, but i need some advice.. :D

Great progress with the tools and roms. Tried one yesterday, but need to convert back to EXT3..

Could someone please explain how i use the attached files? Downloaded them, but don't really know what to do with them.

Do I use them in ClockworkMod, or somewhere else?

Would really appreciate a few pointers. B)

You need to have installed CWM then put the zip on your external SD and boot to CWM then choose install from zip and select the zip file and update ;) after that is done your back to ext3 :D

And to the question of why? Because if you wanna return it for repairs it's handy to have ext3 back :D

Guest vgard

Thanks to both of you!

I had some battery problems with the latest rom(as of yesterday afternoon), and wanted to go back to stock and my nandroid backup. Under the impression that it would be a smart thing to go back to EXT3 first.. :D

Was a bit confused when i downloaded the files and tried to extract them. Didn't make much sense for me. ;)

Thanks again for the pointers. B)

Guest matlegro

i've tried Fr7 prebake, but the phone go to loop-boot, but is necessary to install new baseband? i've 302 baseband...

Edited by matlegro

Guest federicoc
i've tried Fr7 prebake, but the phone go to loop-boot, but is necessary to install new baseband? i've 302 baseband...

Have you wiped (with CWM) all before flashing the Fr7? I had the same problem and I was able to solve it with the wipe and flashing again.

Fede

Edited by federicoc

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tagg

I converted back to ext3 with this but didn't restore right away, instead I shut down the phone to use SmartFlash. Smartflash doesn't find the phone though and the phone doesn't boot (ie. no logo, no recovery, no nothing). NVFLASH just closes down in the beginning stage. What to do?

Posted the error message below, maybe someone can help interpret it.

nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --se

tbct --odmdata 0xC8000 --configfile android_fastboot_emmc_full.cfg --create --bl

fastboot.bin --go

Nvflash started

rcm version 0X20001

System Information:

chip name: unknown

chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 3

chip sku: 0xf

chip uid: 0x028841484340d557

macrovision: disabled

hdcp: enabled

sbk burned: false

dk burned: false

boot device: emmc

operating mode: 3

device config strap: 0

device config fuse: 17

sdram config strap: 0

sending file: E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct

- 4080/4080 bytes sent

E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct sent successfully

odm data: 0xc8000

downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000

sending file: fastboot.bin

/ 1024992/1024992 bytes sent

fastboot.bin sent successfully

waiting for bootloader to initialize

bootloader downloaded successfully

setting device: 2 3

creating partition: BCT

failed executing command 16 NvError 0x120002

command failure: create failed (bad data)

bootloader status: failed to create the partition (code: 10) message: nverror:0x

42003 (0x42003) flags: 0

Edited by tagg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Baunilha

But after converting i can´t restore my original rom = \

the phone stop at lg logo...

someone really do a restore of the original rom??

can help me?

Guest clivec

I had the restore problem, the way round it that worked for me was to flash the 3.2.0.0 recovery that's available on here, then copy your nandroid from the external SD, to the internal SD, preserving the path, (/clockworkmod/backup) then boot into recovery and restore. For some reason restoring from 3.0.2.8 doesn't always work. You also must revert your ext4 partition back to ext3 first using aforementioned zip, it will, however, delete all your internal SD contents so back it up first.

What I have done, is to download nvflash, and in the nvflash folder I have substituted the stock recovery.img for the cwm recovery.img, so when returning to stock to flash a nandroid, I flash this first, copy my "backed up" nandroid onto internal SD, then boot into cwm recovery, restore, and its done.

Guest Single

I used ur patch to revert back to ext3 and restored my nandroid backup but after reboot the phone is dead , no screen and no led when connected to charger. any ideas?

Guest clivec
I used ur patch to revert back to ext3 and restored my nandroid backup but after reboot the phone is dead , no screen and no led when connected to charger. any ideas?

To which "patch" do you refer to? And also what phone have you tried this on? As the LG optimus 2x does not have a charge LED on it.

Guest Single
To which "patch" do you refer to? And also what phone have you tried this on? As the LG optimus 2x does not have a charge LED on it.

I think i bricked my desire hd :D this was the only script i found to revert back to ext3 and i was too happy finding it to see that this is the LG optimus forum.

good thing it's still in warranty and i have another phone.

Guest Pedro Martinez
i have tested it.

Works like a charm :D

How can we to know what type of file system we have installed on the p990? to verify after revert to ext3