LCD replacement and Internal SD upgrade

Guest gypsydigi

Guest XsCode
Anyways am up and running on 1.9.0 and my quadrant has gone from around 1800

to around 2200 with the only change being the new card.

And a factory Reset

Guest Techneut
Upgraded mine last night by cutting away at the cover inside.

I did it fairly carefully and eventually got the internal card out.

(Its a struggle releasing it as there is not much room with the cutout)

Popped my new 4gb class 10 in and just started it up.

And yes, the streak started repairing itself and booted fine (after a while)

I did a factory reset too for the fun of it!

Anyways am up and running on 1.9.0 and my quadrant has gone from around 1800

to around 2200 with the only change being the new card.

I would say I think this mod was worth it but now I notice that my headphone icon keeps coming

on intermittently on the notification bar. That is a pain as it kills all sound obviously!

Is there a switch I have bent somewhere in doing this mod?

Has anybody had this prob, and has a cure?

Well, the headphone jack is situated at the backside of the internal SD card! Maybe, you have been a little bit too enthusiastic?

In your case, I would CAREFULLY cut out some more of the plastic cover, to reach the jack and take a closer look at it.

Only, i am NOT an expert, and mine (fortunately) still works as it should do after the cutout.

I have got a ZTE V9 7' Tablet, and I crashed my LCD, touch panel not damaged, only the LCD. What do you think it's possible to replace it somehow? I didn't find any ZTE LCD screen on ebay or anywhere, can I replace to other 7 inch LCD?

Guest jonnybruce
And a factory Reset

No, it had had a factory reset before anyway.

I pretty much always do a factory reset now (from the first black screen) when I change rom's.

The ONLY change was the card.

Guest MrTheKLine
what does this do to warranty? is it void or it can still be brought into fixing?

If you open up almost any device your warranty is not good. If your screen broke becuase of your own fault you will have to pay for it to be fixed but even if you opened it up you just pay and they fix it, but if it broke under normal operateing condissions then you can demand they replace the faulty screen.

Guest rebski

Upgrading the inner SD card on my list of projects to do so thanks for all the detail. I figure that if I am going to go to all this effort then I might as well get a 32gb Micro SDHC.

This thread will be invaluable for getting it recognised and usable

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...is-puppy-input/

Here in the UK I see that Play.com sell a Lexar Class 10 for £68.99 delivered.

There is a review on the Lexar which raises the issue of a bottleneck on the device itself (not a Streak in this instance), so I guess I will find out in due course. Sorry, I am not allowed to post either the name of the site of the full link but a search on Lexar 32GB Class 10 microSDHC Memory Card Review should bring it up.

XDA has a useful thread which seems to rate the Patriot Class 10 as slightly better but is about £9 more expensive in the UK

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=943469

Edited by rebski

Guest gypsydigi

My main question is can I pop in a 32gb class 10 into the internal card and have it initializeas it did with the 4gb I put in without the need to edit the boot.img file? Even a 8gb would be interesting to try.

My main question is can I pop in a 32gb class 10 into the internal card and have it initializeas it did with the 4gb I put in without the need to edit the boot.img file? Even a 8gb would be interesting to try.

I ordered lexar 32gb Class 10 a few days ago. ( still shows processing though)

My plan is to use it as external.

I flash roms very often and having a bigger internal card is of no use to me.

However once my warranty runs out ( i hope i still have this phone then ) i will upgrade my internal card to get better performance (

Guest gypsydigi
I ordered lexar 32gb Class 10 a few days ago. ( still shows processing though)

My plan is to use it as external.

I flash roms very often and having a bigger internal card is of no use to me.

However once my warranty runs out ( i hope i still have this phone then ) i will upgrade my internal card to get better performance (

Doesnt work... i just cut my case so i could insert the card easily. i formated my 16gb class2.. put it in as the internal card. and it only shows 2GB... doesn't even show 4GB... which i find weird because i could put the 4GB in and it sees all 4GB.

anyways... atleast a 4GB is able to be put in without the need to edit tthe boot.img file everytime we do an update.

Guest rebski
Doesnt work... i just cut my case so i could insert the card easily. i formated my 16gb class2.. put it in as the internal card. and it only shows 2GB... doesn't even show 4GB... which i find weird because i could put the 4GB in and it sees all 4GB.

anyways... atleast a 4GB is able to be put in without the need to edit tthe boot.img file everytime we do an update.

Does this Thread help?

This thread will be invaluable for getting it recognised and usable

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...is-puppy-input/

Guest gypsydigi
Does this Thread help?

Ive read that thread... And I found contradicting info. For instance it tells you it cant be a sdhc card... This is not true...

It also says that any card over 2gb requires a modified boot.img file... This is not true either...my 4gb worked prefect without a modified boot.img

Guest Seacare
It seems that you are right in the sense if there is no increase, it is senseless. I think the key difference is the class microsd card used. The first person who listed this used a class 10 which is considerably quicker than a class 6. I have a class 6 in now and it seems quicker but am going to pick up a class 10 today at fry's and see what the difference. with class 6 8gb sdhc card Benchmark = 1533

OK update time.

I got a 4 gb class 10 chip from fry's and put it in and did the install, quadrant is showing it as a 2 gb and it seems quicker -- but it also seems that by battery life has diminished considerably. So much so that I put the 2GB back in and am doing a new install. I do think I'm going to go through all of the updates and find the quickest update and stay with that one even if it's not the latest because all of them have seemed quiet stable.

Jack

Guest jonnybruce
OK update time.

I got a 4 gb class 10 chip from fry's and put it in and did the install, quadrant is showing it as a 2 gb and it seems quicker -- but it also seems that by battery life has diminished considerably. So much so that I put the 2GB back in and am doing a new install. I do think I'm going to go through all of the updates and find the quickest update and stay with that one even if it's not the latest because all of them have seemed quiet stable.

Jack

Yeah, now you mention it my battery drains ridiculously fast now.

How could a change of internal card affect this?

Or is it more that I'm running 1.9 now?

Was on latest stock O2 before and battery lasted more than a day.

Guest Seacare
Yeah, now you mention it my battery drains ridiculously fast now.

How could a change of internal card affect this?

Or is it more that I'm running 1.9 now?

Was on latest stock O2 before and battery lasted more than a day.

I think the higher transfer rates use more juice, but could be mistaken. I talked with DJ Steve yesterday and he recommended not to make that mod. In hindsight I don't think it has much if any value. He did say that the "perfmod" option increases quadrant score (and performance) but it causes my streak to be glitchy and I'd rather have a reliable streak than a fast and furious when I want to be Streak. Oh and sense changing back to the stock 2gb card my battery life seems to be what is was prior to changing it.

Guest kwenteen
Ive read that thread... And I found contradicting info. For instance it tells you it cant be a sdhc card... This is not true...

It also says that any card over 2gb requires a modified boot.img file... This is not true either...my 4gb worked prefect without a modified boot.img

It's not that it's contradictory, it's just that at the beginning, they assumed that any bigger microSD card than 2 GB won't work, because they tried bigger ones...

As more and more people try to use that mod, we get more precise feedback, and we now know that the limit is 4 GB, which is the SD limit, any bigger card is SDHC (correct me if I'm wrong) that is why we said it's SDHC incompatible...

I'm going to write a new thread to synthesize all the info to perform the mod with big SDHC, because the thread is quite a mess... It's much simpler now, and I'm looking for a way to make it even simpler !

boujou bien,

K.

Guest Techneut
I think the higher transfer rates use more juice, but could be mistaken. I talked with DJ Steve yesterday and he recommended not to make that mod. In hindsight I don't think it has much if any value. He did say that the "perfmod" option increases quadrant score (and performance) but it causes my streak to be glitchy and I'd rather have a reliable streak than a fast and furious when I want to be Streak. Oh and sense changing back to the stock 2gb card my battery life seems to be what is was prior to changing it.

It's quite possible that the faster card also uses a much higher current!

Has anybody ever tested this? Please tell us about it...

Guest Techneut
It's quite possible that the faster card also uses a much higher current!

Has anybody ever tested this? Please tell us about it...

Okay, I've found some interesting information about microSDHC cards up to 32 GB/s:

The current consumption is measured by averaging over 1 second.

‧ Before first command: Maximum 15 mA

‧ During initialization: Maximum 100 mA

‧ Operation in Default Mode: Maximum 100 mA

‧ Operation in High Speed Mode: Maximum 200 mA

‧ Operation with other functions: Maximum 500 mA.

More information can be found on http://www.transcendusa.com/support/dlcent...TS16GUSDHC6.pdf

As you can see, average current consumption can be really high, thus draining the battery quickly...

I also suppose that smaller and slower memorycards will use less juice.

Edited by Techneut

Guest rebski
It's not that it's contradictory, it's just that at the beginning, they assumed that any bigger microSD card than 2 GB won't work, because they tried bigger ones...

As more and more people try to use that mod, we get more precise feedback, and we now know that the limit is 4 GB, which is the SD limit, any bigger card is SDHC (correct me if I'm wrong) that is why we said it's SDHC incompatible...

I'm going to write a new thread to synthesize all the info to perform the mod with big SDHC, because the thread is quite a mess... It's much simpler now, and I'm looking for a way to make it even simpler !

boujou bien,

K.

Thanks kwenteen.

I had a feeling that the comment was wrong but I didn't read through your thread to verify, sorry, and thank you for coming by here to confirm.

I look forward to the up-to-date guide.

Guest rwbmodaco23
Okay, I've found some interesting information about microSDHC cards up to 32 GB/s:

The current consumption is measured by averaging over 1 second.

‧ Before first command: Maximum 15 mA

‧ During initialization: Maximum 100 mA

‧ Operation in Default Mode: Maximum 100 mA

‧ Operation in High Speed Mode: Maximum 200 mA

‧ Operation with other functions: Maximum 500 mA.

More information can be found on http://www.transcendusa.com/support/dlcent...TS16GUSDHC6.pdf

As you can see, average current consumption can be really high, thus draining the battery quickly...

I also suppose that smaller and slower memorycards will use less juice.

Do you think the battery drain has anything to do with the class rating, rather than the fact that it's just the SDHC format? It makes sense that a class 10 would suck up more juice than a class 6, for example. What are your thoughts?

Guest jonnybruce
Do you think the battery drain has anything to do with the class rating, rather than the fact that it's just the SDHC format? It makes sense that a class 10 would suck up more juice than a class 6, for example. What are your thoughts?

Interestingly my streak with the new class10 internal has now decent battery life again.

It seems to have settled down after a few days to what is was before.

Weird!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cdzo72

Good evening fellas !! I just followed Techneut's simple way of changing the internal SD card, I used a Patrio LX 4GB class 10 microSDHC card.

After I got up and running again after flashing StreakDroid 1.9 and a 318BB I'm scoring 2497 on Quadrant!!

Can you say WOW!!! Took all of about 20 minutes including replacing the card!!!!!!!!!

Guest final5k

Hmmm just to be on the safe side...we just have to put an empty sd card as internal and the phone would just repair itself? Do we need to place any extra files in the internal sd?

Guest Techneut
Hmmm just to be on the safe side...we just have to put an empty sd card as internal and the phone would just repair itself? Do we need to place any extra files in the internal sd?

Just buy the card, put it in its hidden place in your Streak, and Steve's ROM does the rest by performing a factory reset and initializing the new card.

Success!

Edited by Techneut