LCD replacement and Internal SD upgrade

Guest gypsydigi

Guest keithwwalker
Just buy the card, put it in its hidden place in your Streak, and Steve's ROM does the rest by performing a factory reset and initializing the new card.

Success!

Quick question, I have rooted my phone and wish to upgrade the internal memory, but don't have dj steves mod installed. How can I back up the root OS so that I keep my root and all the files I have installed?

Edited by keithwwalker

Guest Spike8585

I just broke my LCD, and I need to replace it. Can anyone tell me if the China replacements have the gorilla glass, or are they just cheap knock-offs that will break again in a few weeks?

It looks like people who break the LCDs, have broken them a few times, and I am concerned that the replacements are inferior...Or maybe people that break them, keep breaking them because that just what they do. :unsure:

Guest gypsydigi
I just broke my LCD, and I need to replace it. Can anyone tell me if the China replacements have the gorilla glass, or are they just cheap knock-offs that will break again in a few weeks?

It looks like people who break the LCDs, have broken them a few times, and I am concerned that the replacements are inferior...Or maybe people that break them, keep breaking them because that just what they do. :unsure:

Well i broke my LCD that i bought from china... This is actually my 4th replacement!!! I had dropped it a few times from a couple of feet with nothing... While i was at work I climbed up some scaffolding and the phone fell from 8 feet. Obviously it shattered. I am just waiting on another screen to arrive. I find they are good. They seem to be exact copies and they didn't break when i dropped it from a couple of feet. Mind you i had my case on it.

Good evening fellas !! I just followed Techneut's simple way of changing the internal SD card, I used a Patrio LX 4GB class 10 microSDHC card.

After I got up and running again after flashing StreakDroid 1.9 and a 318BB I'm scoring 2497 on Quadrant!!

Can you say WOW!!! Took all of about 20 minutes including replacing the card!!!!!!!!!

Its incredible. Its scores nearly as high as the motorola atrix and thats a dual core cpu. I did a direct comparison between mine and a friends atrix. The atrix as higher 3d scores but overall its pretty close. Thats also a stock rom atrix.

Edited by gypsydigi

Guest gypsydigi
32g,calss10.

but can`t work......

because sdhc???

No. 4GB maximum for the internal... you can use a 32GB but you must edit your boot file.

Guest wangkeqiang
No. 4GB maximum for the internal... you can use a 32GB but you must edit your boot file.

I see.

Now,4g is ok.

How edit my booting file by myself?

Thanks!

Guest 1Quik7

It looks like people who break the LCDs, have broken them a few times, and I am concerned that the replacements are inferior...Or maybe people that break them, keep breaking them because that just what they do. :P

Just replaced mine..Ebay screen for $60...its totally the same OEM screen.

Guest iceose

dose it have any different between sdhc and not sdhc card?? when inserting internal microSD

Edited by iceose

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chapaev
Just replaced mine..Ebay screen for $60...its totally the same OEM screen.

Does it come with Gorilla Glass? Could you please post here a link to the eBay item/seller?

Broke my Dell Streak LCD today - put it in the back poket of my jeans and forget about it. Just "click" and gone. ;) I found several offers about $50 but I'm not sure is it with Gorilla Glass or not. What do you think? Items I've found at Amazon and eBay: [1] [2].

Guest gypsydigi
Does it come with Gorilla Glass? Could you please post here a link to the eBay item/seller?

Broke my Dell Streak LCD today - put it in the back poket of my jeans and forget about it. Just "click" and gone. ;) I found several offers about $50 but I'm not sure is it with Gorilla Glass or not. What do you think? Items I've found at Amazon and eBay: [1] [2].

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ME:L:OU:CA:1123

you can pick it up from them. thats where i ordered another screen for a new dell streak i picked up. They all have the glass on it. i don't know if its gorilla glass but i am pretty sure it is. usually the lcd will break before the glass. thats been my experiences. I haven't had a problem when buying the Chinese lcd screens.

Guest krazman

I just finished upgrading the internal card to a Kingston 4gb Cl10 SDHC. Total time to take apart and re-assemble was 17 minutes. About 10 more minutes for the full nandroid restore and everything works! I spent the most time straightening out that stupid double sided tape so it would lay flat! I also upgraded the external card to an A-Data 32gb Cl10 SDHC.

While the quad scores are no better than before (2300-2569), the Streak feels more responsive. Alarms go off when they should and the problem with no sound following reboot, until silencing and re-enabling sound, seems to have disappeared for now.

Absolutely no problems with first boot following replacement of internal card. Streak automatically formatted card (Cache/Data). Then it went into Dell logo loop and I booted into StreakMod and did the Nandroid restore.

MAKE CERTAIN YOU DO A FULL NANDROID BACKUP IMMEDIATELY BEFORE YOU START THIS PROJECT!!! (caps used intentionally)

My only problem is the new LCD I ordered arrived with the smaller wire harness creased and the gold cracked in 3 places due to very poor packing materials. I will attempt the LCD replacement when the new LCD arrives.

One tip: I placed a piece of masking tape over the outside of the volume, power, camera buttons so that they did not fall out from the inside when the guts were removed. Easier than trying to put those little buttons back in place correctly!

Many THANKS to the OP. The instructions were spot-on.

Edited by krazman

Guest Chapaev
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ME:L:OU:CA:1123

you can pick it up from them. thats where i ordered another screen for a new dell streak i picked up. They all have the glass on it. i don't know if its gorilla glass but i am pretty sure it is. usually the lcd will break before the glass. thats been my experiences. I haven't had a problem when buying the Chinese lcd screens.

Thanks for reply and link - I'll order it and save my Streak. ;)

Edited by Chapaev

• 1 month later...
Guest ryantoss

Hello

Very well guide indeed

My English is not quite well then i will make it quick

i ran through the process of LCD changes without single mistake

Everything fine. I put everything back on

When i plug the charger in the dock, they show up the need for put in the battery. (it means LCD work fine)

However, as soon as i put my battery back on. They will show up as normal (the screen with few different languages) but suddenly turn off after that.

What could be the problem. I'm completely lose now.

Everything fine but when i put battery in the phone gone dead.

Guest aweAMsome

BTW i have also ordered some of these LEDs to change the LED under the captive buttons...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=110511297458

Back button = RED

Actions button = BLUE

Home button - GREEN

And i also plan to do a full paint job on the droid shortly :D

I'll keep you guys updated

Dude, I've changed all my buttons from plan white color to :-

Back button = RED

Actions button = GREEN

Home button = BLUE

without the need to completely dis-assemble the dell streak then change the existence LED and risk damage to the phone.

For anyone who wish try it.

1. Remove the side cover (only secured on by double sided tape) and be careful, only lift from the outside edge and it will come apart, be gentle and watch out for the ribbon below (use your nail or plastic piece).

2. Cover each illuminated spots with a color thin film (I used red, green and blue as stated above).

3. Fit back the cover.

Job done.

FYi, I've also successfully changed my internal card to 4GB class 10 micro-sdhc. While the cover was out, I've cut a piece of the back cover off where the internal microsd card is situated and now I can change my internal microsd card without ever have to remove the housing ever again.

Edited by aweAMsome

Guest gypsydigi

Dude, I've changed all my buttons from plan white color to :-

Back button = RED

Actions button = GREEN

Home button = BLUE

without the need to completely dis-assemble the dell streak then change the existence LED and risk damage to the phone.

For anyone who wish try it.

1. Remove the side cover (only secured on by double sided tape) and be careful, only lift from the outside edge and it will come apart, be gentle and watch out for the ribbon below (use your nail or plastic piece).

2. Cover each illuminated spots with a color thin film (I used red, green and blue as stated above).

3. Fit back the cover.

Job done.

FYi, I've also successfully changed my internal card to 4GB class 10 micro-sdhc. While the cover was out, I've cut a piece of the back cover off where the internal microsd card is situated and now I can change my internal microsd card without ever have to remove the housing ever again.

Ya. I already had the phone apart to change the screen so i had cut it while it was already apart. Its a must do if you are replacing your lcd. I think Techneut orginally posted with a how to on cutting back without having to take it apart. Its so simple to do that its one of the must do mods. 4GB Class10 SDHC cards are cheap.

Great Idea on the colored film over the lcds. It was easier then soldering on the leds like i did (and alot less stress). Funny thing is i though about doing that after i had already soldered the leds! lol

Saw your thread on XDA. Good Stuff! We should have sticky on this sort of stuff.

Too bad the Streak never caught on like it should have. Its a wonderful piece of hardware. Hoping they release a Dell Streak 2 in the near future.

Guest aweAMsome

Ya. I already had the phone apart to change the screen so i had cut it while it was already apart. Its a must do if you are replacing your lcd. I think Techneut orginally posted with a how to on cutting back without having to take it apart. Its so simple to do that its one of the must do mods. 4GB Class10 SDHC cards are cheap.

Great Idea on the colored film over the lcds. It was easier then soldering on the leds like i did (and alot less stress). Funny thing is i though about doing that after i had already soldered the leds! lol

Saw your thread on XDA. Good Stuff! We should have sticky on this sort of stuff.

Too bad the Streak never caught on like it should have. Its a wonderful piece of hardware. Hoping they release a Dell Streak 2 in the near future.

Agreed with you my friend. Recommended the Dell streak 5 to anyone who travel abroad whether it's for business or pleasure and still easily in contact with www and home (use to bring a laptop). Dell Streak is wonderful piece of hardware and still so for my needs. Let hope there will be a new version in the near future with better hardware and yet maintaining the perfect 5in screen size.

Edited by aweAMsome

Guest sdan87

Hello all, I need your help. I'm using dell Streak 5. The phone factory resets by itself, I know that the problem is bad internal SD card, I have some skills for opening phones, and replacing internal parts, so this is no problem for me, but still I need your help. I have several questions: -Can I put micro SD 2GB or 4GB(I know this is maximum, do not want to edit system files tu accept bigger card) Class 4?....becorse I live in small country, I can't find SD card's with bigger class. -Which class is the original internal SD card from 2GB? -And the must imortant question, after replacing the new and formated(in FAT32 I thing) micro SD card need something special to do, or just need to do factory resset and wait for the phone to create partitions on the micro sd card? I am asking this question because my phone is running on latest official Froyo ROM 2.2.2. Is it necessary to instal custom rom, or I can be able to change the inner SD card running on official Froyo, with only factory resset? The data on internal sd card is not important to me, I do not need a back up, I just want my phone to accept the new card, becorse I spent 400 euros for my beloved phone. Thank you very much!