nVidia drops support for Tegra Harmony

Guest JingleManSweep

Guest Zaspath

That is a disappointing stance given the short life span of support, this is going to delay the Honeycomb ports even further after the source is released. I doubt it will stop it in it's tracks though, too many talented and enterprising folks here and on XDA for that to be a terminal problem.

Zas.

Guest Lennyuk

erm? Look at the dates... March 16th its really old news..... we already knew this.

This doesn't mean that Honeycomb won't work.

Harmony was only supported up to android 2.2 yet we have an almost fully working 2.3 build in CM7... HC will be the same, eventually it will work, maybe not fully, but it will work.

Guest yabbas

Saw this a while back - seems strange considering that it's the same SoC!

It is rather irritating the guys at N did this, at least offer up some explanation.

Either way - even in its current Android 2.2 state there's plenty of life in the Android tabby - I can view PDFs, Videos, listen to music and browse the net without issue, though it feels kludged together. (Threadjack - Been considering the iPad 2 lately, at US prices it's £307.)

Edited by yabbas

Guest newbe5
Saw this a while back - seems strange considering that it's the same SoC!

It is rather irritating the guys at N did this, at least offer up some explanation.

There is an explanation. And this topic has been covered numerous times on this forum and XDA...

Stop panicking people. The HTC Hero was never meant to run anything past 2.1, and mine is happily whirring away with 2.3.3.

Just because we shouldn't, doesnt mean we can't :)

Guest peter a
There is an explanation. And this topic has been covered numerous times on this forum and XDA...

Stop panicking people. The HTC Hero was never meant to run anything past 2.1, and mine is happily whirring away with 2.3.3.

Just because we shouldn't, doesnt mean we can't :)

Whats harmony the GPU / Video part ?

Guest tony barnes

Does anyone actually have a concise list of benefits that would come from Honeycomb over 2.2? A mate held off getting a Vega so he could grab a Xoom instead, HC being the main gripe for him (lol, plus wanting to own something 'better' than me!). I've happily added the r8 from Paul, and my Vega seems to be pretty much A-ok, just some apps aren't hugely happy/better configured for phones (understandably!)

Will HC have a different marketplace access system, so it gets different apps? Going forwards that would be an arse.

Guest ezynow

Nvidia dropping the ball lately.

We still haved borked nvidia drivers with these line glitches and now their discontinuing support. So no improvements in gfx performance for our harmony board which is less than a year old. Nvidia are becoming a joke.

They are not supporting the nvidia optimus platform on linux so users left with basic intel graphics. Which makes our problem seem minor.

After their shameless plug of 1080p video on tegra2 but then limiting to a minor profile that most content needs to be traanscoded into. 1080p should mean 1080p.

Make sure you read the small print with nvidia!

Really cant blame advent for nvidia sly policies!

Guest FrownBreaker
...........Either way - even in its current Android 2.2 state there's plenty of life in the Android tabby - I can ...... Videos,...........

What do you use for Video? Iplayer sucks (really blocky) and AVI files loose lip synch, drop frames, MKV files will not play. CM7 has no hardware acceleration and the stock players seem poor.

What are the video players folk use and what is a source of good content? Anyone got HQ iPlayer content working on-line or off line?

Guest tony barnes

I use Mplayer, free and good from what I've experienced - also love just wiping the screen left/right to scan through files, very easy

EDIT: That said, audio fails completely on some files in all players I've tried, need to have a look at the codec being used, not checked yet...

Edited by tony barnes

Guest Mark_L
Does anyone actually have a concise list of benefits that would come from Honeycomb over 2.2? A mate held off getting a Vega so he could grab a Xoom instead, HC being the main gripe for him (lol, plus wanting to own something 'better' than me!). I've happily added the r8 from Paul, and my Vega seems to be pretty much A-ok, just some apps aren't hugely happy/better configured for phones (understandably!)

Android 2.2 was a bit weak as far as tablets were concerned and really its the update to 2.3 that is FAR more important than a future update to 3.0.

People are just getting worked up because 3.0 is a much bigger number jump than 2.3, yet it is 2.3 that is the most important.

2.3 introduced several tablet orientated android market 'flags', one of which allowed developers to make thier apps only run on tablet sized screens.

So if you want to run a lot of the upcoming games (including vendetta online) you'll need Android 2.3.

2.2 just didnt contain these flags.

2.3 will do everything you can think of, if you have 2.3 then really 3.0 just looks like eye candy.

But even then, the 2.2/2.3 drivers for the Harmony board will probably work absolutely fine under 3.0 Honeycomb. In which case expect to see a 3.0 Honeycomb build for the vega before to long.

Edited by Mark_L

Guest tony barnes

Ok, great, thanks for that Mark.

[idiot mode] Erm, how do I tell if I'm running 2.2 or 2.3 - is that something that was in Pauls ROM? I never really checked, lmao!! [/idiot mode]

Guest warriorscot

The only drivers that are actually needed are the tegra ones for hardware acceleration. Harmony itself is a whole board and shares some parts and its basic architecture with the other board designs so I can't see why either there drivers or a modification of them won't work. And our existing 2.2 drivers for the rest of the hardware should work fine anyway.

cm7 doesn't have hardware acceleration YET I doubt it is never going to have it. The minute it does I am probably going to install it and be quite happy with 2.3 with a lot of tablet tweaks.

Guest mingoid
Android 2.2 was a bit weak as far as tablets were concerned and really its the update to 2.3 that is FAR more important than a future update to 3.0.

People are just getting worked up because 3.0 is a much bigger number jump than 2.3, yet it is 2.3 that is the most important.

2.3 introduced several tablet orientated android market 'flags', one of which allowed developers to make thier apps only run on tablet sized screens.

So if you want to run a lot of the upcoming games (including vendetta online) you'll need Android 2.3.

2.2 just didnt contain these flags.

2.3 will do everything you can think of, if you have 2.3 then really 3.0 just looks like eye candy

That's not really true. 3.0 provides a new hardware accelerated animation framework and a new system for laying out applications (fragments) that is much better suited to large screen devices. There's also a more manageable menu system. Going forward you're likely to see more 3.0 specific apps, or at least you wont see the full benefits of the improvements. Developers are just waiting to get their hands on less expensive 3.0 tablets. And unfortunately I don't see a niche device like the Vega getting much love from modders once they have better toys to play with.

Guest peter a
That's not really true. 3.0 provides a new hardware accelerated animation framework and a new system for laying out applications (fragments) that is much better suited to large screen devices. There's also a more manageable menu system. Going forward you're likely to see more 3.0 specific apps, or at least you wont see the full benefits of the improvements. Developers are just waiting to get their hands on less expensive 3.0 tablets. And unfortunately I don't see a niche device like the Vega getting much love from modders once they have better toys to play with.

TO ME, with android 2.2 which is expected to be supported by the real makers of the platform, is so messed up.

Not sure if this is Vega only, there is little or no, power management installed into the kernel.

System information apps, just don`t show the mhz of the cpu , or battery temperature etc .

Standby is @:~%ed, I think because of the above statement !!

So what chance have we got with HC ?

The "Fragments" API has already been released as a static library compatible with older versions of Android going back to 1.6, so HC has no advantage there.

As regards the modders, well not all of them can afford to upgrade their devices, and it's the ones who can't just go and buy a bigger better device that will put in the serious hours getting the most out of what they have already.

I saw recently over on xda a modder reveal that he will be devving for the Asus transformer and it will be good because he is the CM vega maintainer. Well if he is the vega maintainer, why is it that Mad Murdock is doing all the work and actually bringing us something useful, and not him? (I remember one beta build he did, but's that's it) All talk and no action it seems, and I don't think we will miss him too much.

Edited by .stu

Guest stoolzo

The vega has already reached most of its potential in my opinion, it doesnt really support HD video as it cannot decode H264 hip, it plays games fine so what more do people actually want?. You can already configure the hell out of it and there are plenty of apps that run in full screen. I am actually wondering what more dev will bring to the table, its already super fast and slick and everything works. Dev isnt really going to improve it much. I only got rid of mine as I didnt think the screen and audio was really up to scratch, that being said it is still a bargain if you can get it for £199.

Just enjoy your devices and stop worrying about the dev.

Guest cjtkd
The vega has already reached most of its potential in my opinion, it doesnt really support HD video as it cannot decode H264 hip, it plays games fine so what more do people actually want?. You can already configure the hell out of it and there are plenty of apps that run in full screen. I am actually wondering what more dev will bring to the table, its already super fast and slick and everything works. Dev isnt really going to improve it much. I only got rid of mine as I didnt think the screen and audio was really up to scratch, that being said it is still a bargain if you can get it for £199.

I don't think many are 'worrying' about the dev so to speak, more interested in what's happening next - just saying.

Guest cjtkd

I don't think many are 'worrying' about the dev so to speak, more interested in what's happening next - just saying.

Guest ezynow

Not releasing drivers for updated android versions is ridiculous.

This is not a technical limitation of our vega but simply a money making policy decision.

So would we need reversed engineered drivers for vega ? - i doubt this will ever happen, for hardware aceleration on vega for android 2.3, 3.0 +

Cheers nvidia - lets release a tablet pc specification but not support tablet pc software on it. Whats more ludicrous - release a near identical spec and just release support for that.

Hopefully amd/intel can get in the tab market before nvidia really mess it up for android.

Guest peter a
Not releasing drivers for updated android versions is ridiculous.

This is not a technical limitation of our vega but simply a money making policy decision.

So would we need reversed engineered drivers for vega ? - i doubt this will ever happen, for hardware aceleration on vega for android 2.3, 3.0 +

Cheers nvidia - lets release a tablet pc specification but not support tablet pc software on it. Whats more ludicrous - release a near identical spec and just release support for that.

Hopefully amd/intel can get in the tab market before nvidia really mess it up for android.

That's why I like to go with the under dog like amd 2 intel.

Because when you are the top dog you believe you can #@$% the customer and get away with it.

People have long memories, so it does come back in the end.

http://electricpig.co.uk/2011/04/12/atom-p...a-x7-us-update/