12 Sep Hr9: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Online Kitchen (Android 3.2)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Mr.Clark

Don't know if it's ROM related, but i'm getting google talk FCs when I try and use the Video Chat feature.

Sending or receving. Unfortunately, I've never tried it before, so can't confirm whether or not it was working in 3.0.1

Guest DonVincenzo

Hmm - just baked a version without the Email app but with Gmail (same as I had done for HR5), and having now applied the update the Gmail widgets have gone from the desktop, and aren't listed in the Add Widget section...anyone else had anything similar?

Also, thanks for the awesome work Paul!

Guest qwer23
Hmm - just baked a version without the Email app but with Gmail (same as I had done for HR5), and having now applied the update the Gmail widgets have gone from the desktop, and aren't listed in the Add Widget section...anyone else had anything similar?

Also, thanks for the awesome work Paul!

This isn't a problem of Paul's ROM, but of the 3.1 release. For some users, Gmail disappeared, although the apk is still in system/app. For some users this worked:

- Use root explorer to browse to system/app and rename the gmail.apk to gmail.bak

- reboot

- rename the gmail.bak to gmail.apk and it should install just fine.

Sounds strange, but helped people over at xda.

Guest Paul

Investigating a YouTube video playback issue with custom kernels (Asus haven't issued the latest kernel source yet), please use the stock kernels in the interim.

re: GMail, the above fix should work, else you can move Gmail.apk from /system/app to /data/app, uninstall in the usual way then reinstall from Market.

P

Guest Matchstick

I'm getting a strange low level buzzing/humming/ticking noise while the screen is on.

It's not standard sound as the volume I set the tablet to doesn't matter and the intensity of the noise seems directly related to the amount of activity happening on the screen (the more things being updated on the screen at once the more intense the clicking) also turning the screen off disables the noise.

Very very strange.

This was using the (now-disabled) MoDaCo Custom Kernel + TUN / CIFS + WiFi Module option so I'm going to try building ROMs based on the other options and see what happens with them.

Edited by Matchstick

Guest qwer23
I'm getting a strange low level buzzing/humming/ticking noise while the screen is on.

It's not standard sound as the volume I set the tablet to doesn't matter and the intensity of the noise seems directly related to the amount of activity happening on the screen (the more things being updated on the screen at once the more intense the clicking) also turning the screen off disables the noise.

Very very strange.

This was using the (now-disabled) MoDaCo Custom Kernel + TUN / CIFS + WiFi Module option so I'm going to try building ROMs based on the other options and see what happens with them.

Same here, strange sound from speaker on MoDaCo Kernel on Hr7 build.

Edited by qwer23

Guest BrumBrum74

I have some strange sounds coming from the speaker. Cannot play YouTube videos either. Comes a crackling sound from speaker while trying to buffer video.

Guest Paul

Yes, these issues are resolved by baking with the stock kernel.

Investigating whether the kernel source needs updating for 3.1 or whether the config has changed.

P

Guest achrich

Investigating whether the kernel source needs updating for 3.1 or whether the config has changed.

P

I`ve had simlair issues running anything except stock...which works on treat with this release and the alternative release. Got to say 3.1 is smoother then 3.0.1 (was on HR5) running Netformer even with a lower bench score.

Guest BrumBrum74

P

This affecting Spotify not playing sounds as well?

Guest Matchstick

P

Paul,

I've tried now tried building 2 ROMs using the Stock Kernel + WiFi Module (8.4.4.5) option and with both I'm getting the noise problem and the Kernel version in Settings/About Tablet is being reported as 2.6.36.4-mck-r1 paul@imac #1.

That's not correct is it ?

Guest BrumBrum74
Paul,

I've tried now tried building 2 ROMs using the Stock Kernel + WiFi Module (8.4.4.5) option and with both I'm getting the noise problem and the Kernel version in Settings/About Tablet is being reported as 2.6.36.4-mck-r1 paul@imac #1.

That's not correct is it ?

I have the same. Did full wipe as well

Guest blondejon
I have the same. Did full wipe as well

i cant get rid of the old one either and none of my videos will now play with sound, thank god for the backup i made of hr5

Guest Matchstick
i cant get rid of the old one either and none of my videos will now play with sound, thank god for the backup i made of hr5

I've created a ROM wth the Stock Kernel + WiFi Module (8.3.9.13) option and that seems to work OK.

-- Edit --

After a reboot the buzzing is back :D

Edited by Matchstick

Guest blondejon
Investigating...

P

Thank you Paul

EDIT: Restoring HR5 broke the wifi and so Ive had to update to hr7 again to rectify that

Its disabled the speakers, plugging headphones in works

Edited by blondejon

Guest Scott9824
Installing Hr7 with stock kernel. Thanks Paul.

My Transformer is also making some weird noises. Stock kernel selected in kitchen, Transformer now shows WiFi version 5.248.35, kernel 2.6.36.4-mck-r1, build num HMJ37.WW_epad-8.4.4.5.20110527

Cheers for looking into it Paul,

Scott

Edit: Also I flashed with stock kernel initially and did not flash with your kernel first. even though it appears your kernel was flashed :D

Edited by Scott9824

Guest iamdarren

i paid for the adfree so i could use kitchen, which i do see future use of. but this rom, doesnt seem to be playing well on the TF i tried both kernels both do buzzing, no cam and no youtube. waiting for an update, considering going back to stock (shamefully) any ideas, seems like last time, when all we neeeded was a new BLOB to correct hardware operation.

as ive wiped te TF im willing to test stuff, i want 3.1 :D well done with all the work so far paul.

Guest DonVincenzo
This isn't a problem of Paul's ROM, but of the 3.1 release. For some users, Gmail disappeared, although the apk is still in system/app. For some users this worked:

- Use root explorer to browse to system/app and rename the gmail.apk to gmail.bak

- reboot

- rename the gmail.bak to gmail.apk and it should install just fine.

Sounds strange, but helped people over at xda.

@qwer23 @paul Thanks - fixed the issue perfectly!

@paul I'm also having this kernel issue - initially baked an update with MCK, then just now baked and updated HR7 with stock kernel, but after update it's still saying the kernel version is 2.6.36.4-mck-r1.

Guest baseballfanz

So i take it Hr7 are only available from the kitchen at this point (meaning paid members)?

I was using Hr5 download from the 1st post