Your VEGA is not Bricked nor Broken - This will fix it!

Guest Zebrahead

Guest Zebrahead

Hey all,

After having seen and responded to enough "my VEGA is bricked", "my VEGA is broken", "my VEGA is bootlooping" threads, I decided to do something about it.

I have made the following utility which will allow you to make a restorer that will allow you to restore you VEGA to it's current point - No matter what!!

It currently only works for Windows and Linux as I have no experience with Mac. It's still in beta, I'm confident that it works - please report anything that goes wrong.

All you have to do is make a backup with ClockworkMod (or maybe Vega Tools, it may be capable of making the required backup). From this point, *NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR VEGA* (excluding natural disasters :)), this tool will allow you to restore your VEGA to that point.

Once you have a backup with Clockwork, plug your microSD card into your computer, simply fire up the tool, find your backup and away you go!

As with all tools and utilities, you use this software at your own risk and I am not liable for anything that may go wrong.

All feedback is welcomed.

Instructions are included within the tool.

Mirror : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22432796/VegaFixer.zip

--- Requirements ---

~ Java - http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

~ Using the restorer - http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/full_system_...nstructions.pdf

Good luck, have fun!

Zeb

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Would appreciate any testing reports on Windows as I don't have a Windows box right now! |

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Will test as soon as I can ^^

Changelog :

23/04/2011

- Fixed batch files

19/04/2011

- Removed 7zip dependency :)

- Changed from exe to bat for simplicity (under windows)

Initial release :

- Now should wait for script, done means done :)

- Should work for both 32+64 bit windows now (Untested due to lack of Windows machine, but not a complicated fix - should be fine ^^)

VegaFixer.zip

Edited by Zebrahead

Guest Minimonkey

So this could replace the Full Software update Image from myadventvega.co.uk? (softwareImage_v1.09_Vega_Final.exe) any screenshots?

Guest Lennyuk
So this could replace the Full Software update Image from myadventvega.co.uk? (softwareImage_v1.09_Vega_Final.exe) any screenshots?

Basically (I am guessing) this extracts a nandroid you point it to, and turns it into an image that can be flashed via NVFLASH (Stock Recovery) mode. This saves you having to go stock rom, reflash CWM then restore your nandroid.

Guest Vansphone

Thanks for the post. Can you explain this part for me?

"Once you have a backup with Clockwork, plug your microSD card into your computer, simply fire up the tool, find your backup and away you go!"

What do you mean by away you go? Do you attach the Vega to the PC via a usb or do you replace the micosd card in to the Vega? If you attach the Vega to the PC does it at least have to get to recovery mode?

Thanks

Guest Zebrahead
Basically (I am guessing) this extracts a nandroid you point it to, and turns it into an image that can be flashed via NVFLASH (Stock Recovery) mode. This saves you having to go stock rom, reflash CWM then restore your nandroid.

Indeed, as most people use windows, it's nice to just have an executable which can be used to bring you back to where you were no matter what. This saves the trouble of having to figure how to patch the stock installer with your own recovery.

Thanks for the post. Can you explain this part for me?

"Once you have a backup with Clockwork, plug your microSD card into your computer, simply fire up the tool, find your backup and away you go!"

What do you mean by away you go? Do you attach the Vega to the PC via a usb or do you replace the micosd card in to the Vega? If you attach the Vega to the PC does it at least have to get to recovery mode?

Thanks

By away you go, I mean use the tool. Once you run the tool, you'll have a big text box telling you where to go from there ^^.

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead
Where do i find the exe file after running this tool?

Thanks!

Should be in the same directory as the tool, something like

VegaFixer.jar

tools/

SuperVegaRestore.sh

SuperVegaRestore.exe

Guest Zebrahead
Its not putting any new files in the directory!

I've installed 7zip, have java installed.... am i missing something?

Thanks

Couple of questions.

a ) Does it get to the stage where it says all done?

b ) What OS are you running

c ) 32 or 64 bit?

d ) Is your backup especially big (did you have a lot, i mean a lot) at the time of backup?

As the program uses an external script to create the restorer, I can't monitor when the restorer has finished (at least I hadn't seen how to within the short while I made this). It is because of this, the script could still be running whilst the program says finished (I just put an average wait for how long the script takes on a large backup).

It shouldn't take more than 5 mins after reporting completion... But I suppose it could (in theory) take up to then.

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead

Thanks

I've updated. Should solve the last point.

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead

Thanks

Unfortunately, I can't really continue tonight. If you need the backup urgently I have a slightly untidy solution.

In the tools directory, there should be a file called restorevega.zip, or something similar. Simply rename this whatever you like .exe and this is your restorer file.

I'll do some reading tomorrow and make it a bit tidier.

(I've not done any windows scripting before - but i'll fix it ^^)

Zeb

Guest Solidare

This is looking nice zeb, great job!

Since the linux version was released I was hoping us windows user would get something similar.

Cheers

Guest peter a
This is looking nice zeb, great job!

Since the linux version was released I was hoping us windows user would get something similar.

Cheers

I think it`s createzip.bat where it`s going wrong .

7zip is hard wired for 64 bit systems eg "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\7-Zip\7z.exe"

so I think on 32 bit systm you need to knock off the x86 bit.

Guest dexta211

It is a 32 bit win 7 install, and it is saying that its all done.

Its not urgent, i was just eager to get a reliable backup made.

Thanks.

Guest Zebrahead
I think it`s createzip.bat where it`s going wrong .

7zip is hard wired for 64 bit systems eg "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\7-Zip\7z.exe"

so I think on 32 bit systm you need to knock off the x86 bit.

Sounds likely. I only had my brothers 64bit windows laptop to try it on.

I read that %ProgramFiles(x86)% was the 32bit program files under a 64 bit system and was hoping it would expand to the only program files in a 32 bit system. It seems it doesn't!

Do you know of a variable that displays the above behaviour?

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead
It is a 32 bit win 7 install, and it is saying that its all done.

Its not urgent, i was just eager to get a reliable backup made.

Thanks.

Update - should now bee ok ^^.

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead
This tool still isn't working for me!

Would it be better to run this in a Linux Live CD?

Thanks

Well, it would certainly work under a live CD - but it would in turn just provide an executable for linux, which ofc, wouldn't work on Windows :)

Unfortunately, I don't have a windows machine so it's rather hard for me to test it under windows right now.

Can you describe what happens when you run it? I can try and diagnose what goes wrong.

i) Do you get an executable in the same directory as tools/ and the .jar?

ii) If not, do you get a SuperVegaRestore.exe in the tools directory?

iii) If not, (and you should have this, I'm sure I did when I tested on my brothers laptop for first release), do you have a vegarestore.zip (I think that's what I called it), in the tools directory?

Thanks,

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead

Hey all,

Updated today, it should now work no problems! I have every faith in it ^^

Before now, it built an executable from a batch file. This was kinda complicated due to the location of 7zip on 32/64 bit builds.

In removing the executable, it should now work fine!

The only thing about having removed that is (in Windows), you no longer get a stand-alone executable, the batch file DOES DEPEND on the tools directory. But this seems a fair tradeoff for a working tool ^^

Thanks and good luck ^^,

Zeb :)

Guest beegee1962
Hey all,

Updated today, it should now work no problems! I have every faith in it ^^

Before now, it built an executable from a batch file. This was kinda complicated due to the location of 7zip on 32/64 bit builds.

In removing the executable, it should now work fine!

The only thing about having removed that is (in Windows), you no longer get a stand-alone executable, the batch file DOES DEPEND on the tools directory. But this seems a fair tradeoff for a working tool ^^

Thanks and good luck ^^,

Zeb :)

Gotta small problem with your batch file on Windows XP.

Your batch file:

tools/nvflash.exe --bct tools/H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --setbct --bl tools/bootloader.bin --configfile tools/flash.cfg --odmdata 0x0b0c0075 --create --go

@set /p batuserinput=Press enter to continue:

ended in the error message tools/nvflash.exe not found.

I changed the batch file to:

cd tools

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0x0b0c0075 --create --go

@set /p batuserinput=Press enter to continue:

What is the problem? You used / instead of \ in your batch file. I tried to change from / to \ but got an error message at the end saying bootloader.img not found. So I tried to just cd to the tools directory and continue from there.

And it works now.

Guest Zebrahead
Gotta small problem with your batch file on Windows XP.

Your batch file:

ended in the error message tools/nvflash.exe not found.

I changed the batch file to:

What is the problem? You used / instead of \ in your batch file. I tried to change from / to \ but got an error message at the end saying bootloader.img not found. So I tried to just cd to the tools directory and continue from there.

And it works now.

Yeah, just changing the / \ at nvflash wouldn't work, you'd have to do it to every reference to the tools directory. I haven't had chance to alter it - I'll do it now and reupload ^^

Thanks,

Zeb

Guest rferrett

Zebrahead Thanks very much for this is a great tool.

On the "Clean Up Forum" thread one thing I was thinking is how/if this utility could help super newbies get over the hurdles posed by getting the drivers installed OK.

Would it be possible using this tool for someone to do a totally vanilla install of a ROM plus CWM, then creat a NVFlashable update of that vanilla ROM with CWM that Newbies oculd just install via NVFlash? I am thinking that this would bypass what is the most difficult hurdle for new folks (and frankly often more experienced Android hackers TBH!)

Any milage in this?

Cheers

Guest Zebrahead
Zebrahead Thanks very much for this is a great tool.

On the "Clean Up Forum" thread one thing I was thinking is how/if this utility could help super newbies get over the hurdles posed by getting the drivers installed OK.

Would it be possible using this tool for someone to do a totally vanilla install of a ROM plus CWM, then creat a NVFlashable update of that vanilla ROM with CWM that Newbies oculd just install via NVFlash? I am thinking that this would bypass what is the most difficult hurdle for new folks (and frankly often more experienced Android hackers TBH!)

Any milage in this?

Cheers

So if I understand correctly, modify the tool such that it's capable of installing a rom and then creating a vanilla restore point of it effectiely?

I suppose with a vanilla ROM this would be possible. However, if the user already has data that they want to preserve whilst installing the ROM, it wouldn't really work as I'm not sure that I could export their current data (idk, maybe I could manipulate CWM... I'll have a look).

But is this the kinda thing you had in mind?

Zeb ^^