"Download failed", phone bricked, any ideas?

Guest jtc42

Guest jtc42

Well this is embarrassing,

So I decided to upgrade to Gen 2, I followed the guide letter for letter, the converter got to 6%, then stopped, said "Download failed", phone switched off, won't switch on. No LED, nothing. When I plug it in through USB it does the device connected noise but I don't think anything it actually happening.

I know according to the threads this means it's gone forever, but any bright ideas?

PS, I can't even return it because I took the screws out the back to clean the screen (dust got on the inside somehow) so I'm really screwed :)

Guest N3M35I5
Well this is embarrassing,

So I decided to upgrade to Gen 2, I followed the guide letter for letter, the converter got to 6%, then stopped, said "Download failed", phone switched off, won't switch on. No LED, nothing. When I plug it in through USB it does the device connected noise but I don't think anything it actually happening.

I know according to the threads this means it's gone forever, but any bright ideas?

PS, I can't even return it because I took the screws out the back to clean the screen (dust got on the inside somehow) so I'm really screwed :)

can you do anything with fastboot? -- just an idea

Guest selecta8998

I had exactly the same problem ...

Phone was so bricked I figured orange would never be able to tell what happened - I got them to replace it.

Be interesting to see what our phones had in common.

Guest jtc42
I had exactly the same problem ...

Phone was so bricked I figured orange would never be able to tell what happened - I got them to replace it.

Be interesting to see what our phones had in common.

And they did? Replace it I mean?

Mines black, OLED, bought Novemberish last year, and overheated last night while charging. Thats all I can think of that may be mildly relevant.

Guest jtc42
What happens if you take out the battery and then power it on with the USB lead in only, holding the vol - button..?

Nothing at all.

Im fairly confident it's dead.

Guest MDCFan

Open device manager with your phone connected and look for ZTE Diagnostic interface COM port under "Ports".

If it does not, try this procedure:

Remove the battery, then insert it again (to ensure that you have correctly powered off device).

Hold volume + and - then without releasing those volume buttons also press power button and hold these three buttons it for a second (just to be sure).

The screen should remain blank.

Now connect USB cable to the computer and see if it recognizes your phone as a virtual com port (you can check it in device manager if you are on windows).

This method works with gen1 phones, but you can try it on your gen2 too.

Once you get into that mode, try flashing again.

And please report your results.

Edited by MDCFan

Guest jtc42
Open device manager with your phone connected and look for ZTE Diagnostic interface COM port under "Ports".

If it does not, try this procedure:

Once you get into that mode, try flashing again.

And please report your results.

Doesnt list as anything, doesn't make the device connected noise since I removed the battery the first time. Thanks for all the support everyone! :)

Guest MDCFan

Ok, try doing this:

1. Unplug the USB cable.

2. Remove the battery and don't put it back.

3. Hold volume + and - buttons.

4. Insert USB cable without releasing those buttons.

Now see if it gets recognized this way.

Edited by MDCFan

Guest jtc42
Ok, try doing this:

1. Remove the USB cable and battery and don't put it back.

2. Hold volume + and - buttons.

3. Without releasing those buttons insert USB cable.

Now see if it gets recognized this way.

Again nothing. Thanks for the tip though :)

Pretty confident it's dead. It's a pitty because it was OLED. Not gonna get another one like that now >.<

When I updated to Gen2 the first time the application got some error at like 8% and the phone wouldn't come on. Took out the battery and left it over night, put it back in next morning and it worked fine. Not sure if that's the solution to your problem though.

Guest MDCFan
Again nothing. Thanks for the tip though :)

Pretty confident it's dead. It's a pitty because it was OLED. Not gonna get another one like that now >.<

Does not look good :)

Probably flasher erased important parts of your phone memory and failed before writing new code.

Edited by MDCFan

Guest jtc42
Does not look good :)

Probably flasher erased your memory, including the important parts for restoring firmware and it failed before writing new code.

I dont get how its actually more bricked than any other bricked phone.

Guest MDCFan
I dont get how its actually more bricked than any other bricked phone.

I don't know how diagnostic mode works, but many phones can't be bricked unless you erase the bootloader. I guess that Gen2 upgrade includes bootloader upgrade so the part of the memory it resides gets erased before writing.

Guest selecta8998

Hi, my phone was exactly the same...gen 1 OLED OSF with wbaw's 128MB system partition.

Symptoms were exactly the same too... no trace of it via adb/fastboot. No red LED when (working) charging cable inserted. I left it like this overnight, but the battery was dead when I put it in my new phone. The battery was fully charged when I started.

Orange replaced it via next day courier a couple of days ago - and I think they are unlikely to test it. I think they only do this if it is less than 6m old.

I would like to know if anyone has any ideas what went wrong... I want to upgrade to gen2 but given this has happened to a couple of us I'm going to wait until other methods are available. I'm not a noob either which is a surprise... I've been messing with firmware and adb since the Hero.

PS I got a TFT replacement :) better than a brick tho I guess...

Guest hecatae
gen 1 OLED OSF with wbaw's 128MB system partition.

ok that's the most interesting part.

which flasher did you try?

I'm a standard partitions user and I have had no issue upgrading to gen2.

Guest selecta8998

I used KK's gen2_128mb_system_no_oem... strange thing is there's anecdotal reports of flashing with modified partitions working - that why I thought I'd be ok.

Edited by selecta8998

Guest Matthew Ferguson

I flashed as a Gen1 with modified 128mb partition to a Gen2 with the same partition, and I'm an OLED user too. No issues whatsoever - are you sure the file you downloaded wasn't corrupt, and did you extract the zip, or just run the exe from inside it?

Guest selecta8998

Hmm... correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there were any MD5s for KK's partitions - maybe it was corrupt?

I extracted the .zip, and then ran the .exe