"Download failed", phone bricked, any ideas?

Guest jtc42

Guest jtc42
BALLS! ...this has just happened to me trying to go from GEN1 to GEN2.

MDCFan; I tried the above & can see ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface(DFU) (COM3) listed in Device Manager (windows 7), though I'm not sure how to flash from here.

Anyone enlighten this dumb-ass please? :)

DO NOT TAKE THE BATTERY OUT! For me, it did nothing after that. Other than that, Im not sure what to do, but really dont take the battery out.

Guest Fransis.co
The fact is it did overheat, I didnt lie to them at any point (I made sure not to) but they themselves interpreted it as they did.

But I see what you mean, Ill edit the post (if you can edit out the quote too thatd be good?) :)

Chill out, fella, :)

But you have to concede it wasn`t an overheat that caused the problem, nor did you attempt to correct the shop`s `interpretations`.

Anyway, whatever you feel happy about.

As for editing my post, not bloody likely, I never do that !

On a plus side, you may get a Gen2 phone, and not have to bother with this rigmarole again !

Take it easy.

Guest harmohn
DO NOT TAKE THE BATTERY OUT! For me, it did nothing after that. Other than that, Im not sure what to do, but really dont take the battery out.

Oooops! Too late.

A bit of further searching lead me here to get an old flasher (download_nochecksGen1.exe).

This 'saw' my device and flashed.

It boots to CWM, though I'm not sure which ROM to now flash? ...a GEN1 ROM i'm guessing?

Guest jtc42
Chill out, fella, :)

But you have to concede it wasn`t an overheat that caused the problem, nor did you attempt to correct the shop`s `interpretations`.

Anyway, whatever you feel happy about.

As for editing my post, not bloody likely, I never do that !

On a plus side, you may get a Gen2 phone, and not have to bother with this rigmarole again !

Take it easy.

Sorry I did not mean it to sound irate at all >.< No I totally accept thats not what caused it to brick haha. The only reason I said about editing the post is because you quoted my post you (rightfully) suggested I edit, meaning that the original version is still in your post. I just figured that you had a good point about me editing my post to sound less... iffy, but it's still there in yours. Not editing the quote would kinda defeat the point you made in the first place O.o

And yeah, I kinda hope it is Gen 2 but I doubt it will be since the replacements are refurb devices.

Guest jtc42
Oooops! Too late.

A bit of further searching lead me here to get an old flasher (download_nochecksGen1.exe).

This 'saw' my device and flashed.

It boots to CWM, though I'm not sure which ROM to now flash? ...a GEN1 ROM i'm guessing?

Aaaah I guess so, flash SS or something that has both and detects automatically though, be on the safe side :) Happy it sorted itself out for ya.

Guest jtc42
Cheers dude :)

Let us know once it's all working again, and see if you can find that log file everyones on about. If you had the same problem as me ("Download failed" and bricked) then it might give a clue as to what happened in both cases.

Guest Fransis.co
Sorry I did not mean it to sound irate at all >.< No I totally accept thats not what caused it to brick haha. The only reason I said about editing the post is because you quoted my post you (rightfully) suggested I edit, meaning that the original version is still in your post. I just figured that you had a good point about me editing my post to sound less... iffy, but it's still there in yours. Not editing the quote would kinda defeat the point you made in the first place O.o

And yeah, I kinda hope it is Gen 2 but I doubt it will be since the replacements are refurb devices.

No worries, but I wouldn`t lose any sleep over it. The Old Bailey is closed atm ! :)

That post , and this, will soon be lost in the sea of Blade Talk.

The bigger point being the lack of MD5`s for the relevant files, which, I suspect, was your original problem (not your fault)

Take it easy, jtc42 :)

Guest jtc42
No worries, but I wouldn`t lose any sleep over it. The Old Bailey is closed atm ! :)

That post , and this, will soon be lost in the sea of Blade Talk.

The bigger point being the lack of MD5`s for the relevant files, which, I suspect, was your original problem (not your fault)

Take it easy, jtc42 :)

You make a good, and important point about the post being lost. I agree with that completely :(

Yeah I think it's too early to be a reliable process still. Needs some tweaking, find out whats causing these problems (probably just corrupt downloads, youre right), and make it much easier for people to do.

Might re-attempt upgrade if thats done :huh:

Guest harmohn

UPDATE: okay I think all this was down to a corrupt download. I previously ran gen2_136mb_system_no_oem_15mb_cache with no joy (no log file to speak of).

I tried kallt_kaffe's gen_conversion_ver2.zip (gen2_org_partitions) this time, and bingo it worked. Now GEN2 running CM7n41 (...phew!).

:)

Guest jtc42
Absolute lucky guy ! :) Take car of this one. :)

No Gen2 for me! No sir! Not rocking that boat again any time soon. Pitty, I liked CM7, but I can live with SS :(

Guest CaptainSpectacular
No Gen2 for me! No sir! Not rocking that boat again any time soon. Pitty, I liked CM7, but I can live with SS :)

You mean you can't live without working phone ! :(

Happy end for you in all case. :)

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest selecta8998
No Gen2 for me! No sir! Not rocking that boat again any time soon. Pitty, I liked CM7, but I can live with SS :)

Yeah, same for my replacement phone... but that's phone hacking for you. You buy the ticket, and take the ride :)

Guest Frankish

Just convert it to gen1 each time you download it? It's just a few files and a modification of boot.img. Maybe ask kallte nicely to do his script the other way around :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest viliszakacs
Open device manager with your phone connected and look for ZTE Diagnostic interface COM port under "Ports".

If it does not, try this procedure:

Once you get into that mode, try flashing again.

And please report your results.

Hi .

I have the same problem ,but windows recognize the phone for me. then how I can flash the phone again?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unrandomsam
UPDATE: okay I think all this was down to a corrupt download. I previously ran gen2_136mb_system_no_oem_15mb_cache with no joy (no log file to speak of).

I tried kallt_kaffe's gen_conversion_ver2.zip (gen2_org_partitions) this time, and bingo it worked. Now GEN2 running CM7n41 (...phew!).

:unsure:

gen2_136mb_system_no_oem_15mb_cache has caused problems for me also (and at least one other person)

use the wbaw tpt v4