CM7 universal converter

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe
Just thought I'd add that it worked for me using cwm 3.0.2.4

Really? Do this from a terminal: dmesg | more

Who does it say compiled the kernel. If it does not say "kalltkaffe@ubuntu-vm" then it didn't work. If yuo installed N41 or later on a Gen2 it will work without this and if you install N39 or erlier on a Gen1 it also works without this conversion.

Guest kallt_kaffe
when you say in the first post that it should work with most android versions, do you know any which you think won't work?

It will ONLY work with CM7 and I hope that is what I said. It'll propably work with any currently (as of writing) available CM7 version made for the Blade.

Guest rayraven

@kallt_kaffe, does this install a pre-compiled kernel for us gen1 folks?

If yes, will you be keeping it updated with the changes to the CM7 kernel?

Awesome work btw, i was going to upgrade to Gen2 this weekend purely for CM.

Would be great though, if you can work with the CM team to have this implemented into their rom itself?

Again, Thanks kallt!

Guest Michealtbh
Really? Do this from a terminal: dmesg | more

Who does it say compiled the kernel. If it does not say "kalltkaffe@ubuntu-vm" then it didn't work. If yuo installed N41 or later on a Gen2 it will work without this and if you install N39 or erlier on a Gen1 it also works without this conversion.

It says kalltkaffe@ubuntu-vm. Seems to work fine on cwm 3.0.2.4, for me at least

Guest kallt_kaffe
It says kalltkaffe@ubuntu-vm. Seems to work fine on cwm 3.0.2.4, for me at least

Wierd. On my Gen2 the /tmp partition (when running Clockwork) was ~8Mb and it ran out of space trying to dump and split the original boot partition. However it may be different on Gen1 because Gen1 has 0.5Mb smaller boot and recovery partitions.

Guest Michealtbh

As a side note, I haven't been able to recreate the gps bug gen2 users are reporting. I've been testing extensively over the past half hour with both Maps and GPS Test without a problem

Guest kallt_kaffe
@kallt_kaffe, does this install a pre-compiled kernel for us gen1 folks?

That's the idea.

If yes, will you be keeping it updated with the changes to the CM7 kernel?

Perhaps. Toms kernel source can be compiled for Gen1 just by switching configs so anyone can compile a new Gen1 kernel and pop into this zip when/if needed.

Awesome work btw, i was going to upgrade to Gen2 this weekend purely for CM.

Would be great though, if you can work with the CM team to have this implemented into their rom itself?

The logic is allready in Tom's kernel source but I'm not sure if the CM7 install script can support install different kernels and libs depending on if it is Gen1 or Gen2. One way would be to create two distinct CM7 versions. But really, it's easy to update this converter if changes appear in the kernel so it's not a big issue.

Guest sandriderman
I can confirm this works on Gen1.

Procedure

1. Downloaded cm7_universal_converter_ahb.zip MD5: 7B02779767C26F6F29DD6DB65A0C44B1

2. Downloaded CM 41

3. Copy to sd card

4. Start phone in clock work recovery.

5. Apply CM 41 zip

6. Apply cm7_universal_converter_ahb.zip

7. Reboot phone.

Nice one.

This worked great on my OLED using clockwork 3.0.1.4. Very easy.

Thank you KK

Guest kallt_kaffe
As a side note, I haven't been able to recreate the gps bug gen2 users are reporting. I've been testing extensively over the past half hour with both Maps and GPS Test without a problem

It's possible that that bug only exists on Gen2 due to firmware changes. However even with Gen2 I had it running for hours without reboots but then suddenly after like 6 hours or more it happend so it's really hard to know if it's there or not.

Guest reluctant_traveller

Thank you. Plain and simple.

Could someone mirror this on their own server for an hour or so? Firewall here does not allow access to mediafire, rapidshare, dropbox etc!

Edited by reluctant_traveller

Guest rayraven
That's the idea.

Perhaps. Toms kernel source can be compiled for Gen1 just by switching configs so anyone can compile a new Gen1 kernel and pop into this zip when/if needed.

The logic is allready in Tom's kernel source but I'm not sure if the CM7 install script can support install different kernels and libs depending on if it is Gen1 or Gen2. One way would be to create two distinct CM7 versions. But really, it's easy to update this converter if changes appear in the kernel so it's not a big issue.

Thanks for info kallt!

Guest Grain
The logic is allready in Tom's kernel source but I'm not sure if the CM7 install script can support install different kernels and libs depending on if it is Gen1 or Gen2.

The script can copy and execute binaries, right? Then creating a binary that checks the Blade version and copies the correct RIL libs/installs the correct boot.img should be possible. If in doubt just let that binary rename the install files so that the normal script can do the rest. I agree that it's probably not worth the hassle though - although for users it would certainly be nice.

BTW why did I just start to set up a VM with all the stuff needed for compiling Android? Had a break, checked the forums, and see, there's the CM=>GEN1 converter already... :)

Good work Kallt. Would you mind if I used this in my TPT backup & partitioning tool? I'm thinking of adding a upgrade to gen2 & downgrade to gen1 option. Could it work for other roms too?

Guest kallt_kaffe
Good work Kallt. Would you mind if I used this in my TPT backup & partitioning tool? I'm thinking of adding a upgrade to gen2 & downgrade to gen1 option. Could it work for other roms too?

Do whatever you want with it. These kernels will NOT work with other ROMs as they are VMSPLIT_3G and all other ROMs, except CM7 is VMSPLIT_2G.

Do whatever you want with it. These kernels will NOT work with other ROMs as they are VMSPLIT_3G and all other ROMs, except CM7 is VMSPLIT_2G.

Cool ... I might add the extra option to upgrade the phone from gen1 to gen2 (and back), set custom partition sizes & convert CM7 too, all done in 2 simple steps & all without losing data. That's if I get time this weekend & if a gen2 tpt does work.

Edited by wbaw

Guest jurrasstoil

heartw.gif

I was really close to upgrading to gen2 just to be able to use the newer CM nightlies/versions. Thank god/you i don't have to.

Edited by jurrasstoil

Guest emc02
heartw.gif

I was really close to upgrading to gen2 just to be able to use the newer CM nightlies/versions. Thank god/you i don't have to.

me too... now i have updated from CM7 stable to N41 without loosing data, perfect!

should I always load the newest convertor for the next released Nightlys, or is the convertor independend from that?

Guest Superfuzz
this will avoid the warranty??

why should i upgrade to gen2 ??

thanks

It doesn't upgrade to Gen2, read first post again. Flashing Cyanogen and Clockworkmod voids the warranty though anyway.

Guest Fou-lu
Thank you. Plain and simple.

Could someone mirror this on their own server for an hour or so? Firewall here does not allow access to mediafire, rapidshare, dropbox etc!

Here's a mirror on a simple site

http://goo.gl/BDj3t

use opera mini if stock browser don't work.

Guest KACE_231

Just a few Questions:

1. Is it the kernel that is making the release of N41 incompatible with GEN1 phones?

2. What are the differences between this kernel and the one released with the official CM7 ROM's?

3. I remember the GPS reboot issue of the CM7 ROM being fixed with the kernel edit, will the same fix still hold with this one?

Could someone please answer these questions, thankyou

(PS I know I posted this before, but I didnt really get a reply so...)